Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We need to draft 2 QBs

Riggo-toni

Thdre is a major difference with the Eagles and Pats, tbeir starters are 11 and 6 years in, Skins drafted 2 rookies.

The Colts drafted two rookie QBs also. I guess that's considered okay because their 2nd QB drafted was Mr. Irrelevant, where as ours has more talent. How dare we draft a 2nd QB with talent! We should've drafted a no name turd like the Colts did! After all, the Colts are masters at quality back up QBs.

(TIC, firmly) So you see the Redskins making the playoffs this year, I was speaking about the following year.

Which makes it even less justifiable. In effect a wasted 4th for a year on a guy who could contribute, if not start; to get a reliable back-up 2 years hence who you could conceivably of gotten with a latter round pick on another developmental/ back-up.

Sorry, still hearing nothing that justify's the position of the pick for this team in this teams position.

Hail.

I am not sure how I feel about it. 3 may be looking over his shoulder no matter what you may think. What happens if he does a lot better than 3 in preseason? Is there competition between the QBs? We pushed all in on 3, a lot of top picks, and then go ahead and take another QB with a 4th rounder - a good QB - yes with value. I bet there was lots of other value to be found though. Do we want him to push 3? I dunno, I would have rather gotten an OL or S, and just gotten a later round / FA QB to fill out camp.

To me, its clear the team has other needs besides backup QB, and if you think this is a Flynn type scenario, again, I don't see the need to invest all that time into a backup you intend to trade. I like Rex as the backup, even if he does well in preseason, everyone knows the picks are pending. 3 can focus on being the QB of the future.

Which makes it even less justifiable. In effect a wasted 4th for a year on a guy who could contribute, if not start; to get a reliable back-up 2 years hence who you could conceivably of gotten with a latter round pick on another developmental/ back-up.

Sorry, still hearing nothing that justify's the position of the pick for this team in this teams position.

Hail.

The only justification then is that Shanahan made the pick and has a plan. He didn't pass up someone he wanted and thought could contribute to draft Cousins. That would be insane. So we'll see.

Hail.

Okay who was it that they passed on that killed your man crush?- and that would have started or made the team without uncertainty. Obviously based on last years draft Shanahan knows what he wants in players and they contribute. To say Cousins won't contribute on this team is a fallacy and without merit, yes even without seeing the field. His impact is going to be a good one.

We should be afraid of competition? It's a bad thing if Cousins does really well and turns out to be Tom Brady?

RGIII can handle the competition. Having the two go head to head is good for both. There is a very clear pecking order. Griffin is top dog. If Cousins somehow really surprises that's nothing but great! Worst case scenario we get a free number 1 back.

o The Patriots are not a rebuilding team; Teams with their Win/Loss record do not have 'massive' needs as you suggest. The Patriots were in essence drafting for on pure value which is a luxury good teams can afford and re-building teams cannot

o The Patriots already have an entrenched starting QB

(1) Mallett had 1st round talent and projects as a starting QB

o Bellichicks track record with QB is much better then Mike/Kyle Shanahans recent track record

o The likelihood that a 4th rounder becomes a starter is 25% I heard that during one of the broadcasts,

(a) therefore the odds of 4th rounder contributing in some way are even higher

(B) specific to this draft there were players available that were taking by other teams (better teams) that are viewed as potential contributing players if not starters e.g. Alameda Ta'amu (Steelers) Brandon Boykins (Eagles) Joe Adams, Phillip Blake, Devon Wylie, Ladarius Green, Bobby Massie, Coty Sensabaugh etc

o Lets assume like you suggest that Cousins becomes the back-up by next season: he still provides no help to the team this year vs the other players that could have contributed this year

(a)for Cousins to come close to justifying the pick this year he would have to win the back-up job outright like Tyrod Taylor did last year for the Ravens

o If Cousins does actually see the field at some point for whatever reason and plays he has to play very well expecting that kind of production is a huge specualtion in and of itself

And keep in mind we drafted Cousins with a 4th round pick, its a long shot to expect some team to jump on Cousins with a high round draft pick with a limited body of work especially after the Kevin Kolb cautionary tail fresh in their collective minds

Amazing all the players you have chosen to pick instead of the Cousins pick are going to be 1st year impact players for the Skins, yet the player Shanny picked is DOA?

And for the record the Patriots have been rebuilding for the last 4 years, Brady and Belichick help to cover that fact up, lucky for the Pat's they didn't have to rely on a 4th rd QB to carry them through a rebuild, what round was Brady drafted in again?

The excuse that the Pat's or any other team have an entrenched QB so it's ok to get a backup is just not rational, every team regardless of starter ability needs the best backup they can find, why? Because they are one hit away from being the starter, as Casserly said "how many coaches lost their jobs this past season because they didn't have a legit backup" now if you still want interceptasaurus Rex running the offense if something happens to RG3 who will be running his first year until he settles into the offense and learns NFL defenses then fine, but if your tired of watching Rex's futility then be very glad we have moved in a direction to see that doesn't have to happen again.

Mentally Cousins is the quickest decision maker in the draft, how you have already decieded he's a bust I can't remotly quantify.

Drafting Cousins with the 4th pick goes against the basic philosophy of drafting:

No it doesn't. Many teams draft by BPA and not by need. A team might be okay in the LB area but has a strong need for a CB. When it's their turn to pick, a LB who they have a grade A on happens to fall down to them. A CB that they have a C grade on is there also. Do they take the grade A LB or do they settle for a C grade CB? Many teams take the best player available and would choose the LB.

Okay who was it that they passed on that killed your man crush?- and that would have started or made the team without uncertainty. Obviously based on last years draft Shanahan knows what he wants in players and they contribute. To say Cousins won't contribute on this team is a fallacy and without merit, yes even without seeing the field. His impact is going to be a good one.

Oh give me a break with the 'man-crush' B/S SWFL. Your better and more mature than resorting to that.

Go take a look at the guys that went around there and after in positions of need that couldn't conceivably of started or at the least greatly contributed.

And again, FWIW, I like the idea of Cousins here. I like his work ethic and his overall attitude. And feel he could be a decent back-up QB in this league. But to take him in the fourth, on this team, is absolutely ridiculous to me and nothing anyone's said has convinced me otherwise.

Hail.

So we go from having two quarterbacks that stink on ice and fans complaining, to two drafted potential filled quarterbacks and fans complaining. Gotta love Redskins fans.

It's not all Redskins fans, just the ones standing on their heads and seeing the glass less than half full. 115.jpg

---------- Post added April-29th-2012 at 11:01 AM ----------

Oh give me a break with the 'man-crush' B/S SWFL. Your better and more mature than resorting to that.

Go take a look at the guys that went around there and after in positions of need that couldn't conceivably of started or at the least greatly contributed.

And again, FWIW, I like the idea of Cousins here. I like his work ethic and his overall attitude. And feel he could be a decent back-up QB in this league. But to take him in the fourth, on this team, is absolutely ridiculous to me and nothing anyone's said has convinced me otherwise.

Hail.

LOL. Thought maybe you had a personal connection to a player. LOL. BTW thanks!

I like the pick, we addressed the biggest fail of 2011, the starting QB and the backup. Now they don't both suck, they both have potential. Sorry we can't convince you maybe time will.

It seems like the teams with great QB situations don't just have a star QB but also QB depth. A lot of teams can't find a franchise QB, let alone two capable guys (see: Redskins of last 20 years)..

I think its great to think RG3/Cousins can be a great duo for the next 4 years & maybe down the road the Skins can get back draft picks in a trade..

Does anyone honestly NOT see Interceptus Rexus as the back-up this year bar Cousins hitting the ground running and wowing them in the exhibition games? With Rex being a favorite of Kyle's, down to at the least knowing the system, I'll wager good money Cousin's will do well to be activated for a game this year.

Hail.

There is a good chance any QB not considered a franchise type player is not going to see the field his 1st year, but when we become a SB contender he will be prepared to step in, you don't want to get started after the fact always prepare ahead of time. And how do we know Rex is so well loved by the coaching staff? The fact that we gave up the farm for RG3 should pretty much show everyone what the coaches think of Rex, Rex was nothing more than a stop gap measure while we began to rebuild in whom we tried to replace with John Beck of all people.

I do have to laugh at all the negativity over a 4th rd pick on a QB with a 2nd rd grade, you would think we just passed over Barry Sanders for Ryan Leaf!

I must say that Gibbs Hogs Heaven is a great example of how the British won and held out in WWII. Once a Brit entrenches there is no giving up that land. :cheers:

As reasonable and intelligent a poster as he is, once he decides on a position he is immovable :silly:

Andrew Luck will get back to you on that when the laughter stops.

Hail.

I knew that there was something in this thread we could agree on. GHH I see that there is no convincing you of the pick, and that's okay. I did my best to lay out some solid reasons why this was a good pick. Please don't take the sarcasm personally, I admire most of your opinions on here. I just see this as maybe overkill to last years problem, but that problem was a big one. The QB position is without question the achilles heal for this team the past, how many years? Maybe they used a tomahawk to kill the elephant, but at least it is without question, DEAD.

---------- Post added April-29th-2012 at 11:09 AM ----------

I must say that Gibbs Hogs Heaven is a great example of how the British won and held out in WWII. Once a Brit entrenches there is no giving up that land. :cheers:

As reasonable and intelligent a poster as he is, once he decides on a position he is immovable :silly:

Not really a horrible quality and one that evokes great debate on various topics. It's all good.

*Debates on wise ass crack about Americans coming into things half way through ..... decides better and takes the back-handed compliment chuckling.

Hail.

Not really a horrible quality and one that evokes great debate on various topics. It's all good.

I agree. I actually really like GHH as a poster. Just thought it was a funny observation (mind you, most of us are guilty of it periodically)

Edit: GHH, Americans historically are horrible when it comes to foresight or prevention... that's why I think many of us on this side of the pond are troubled by the Cousins' pick.

or, I''m just goofing around a little with ya.

Bad draft pick.It's going to be funny at the end of the season to see people on here contradict themselves. When we talk about all of the studs we could have drafted with that pick at the end of the year. I think this mistake might cost Shanny his job this season IMO. Not if MS and the team looks good this year, but If we go 5-11 I think his time is done. Fans won't let him hear the end of this pick. Me Personally, I didn't mind the pick that much. Would I have drafted Cousins? No,but I understand what MS might be thinking. Hell, we needed a qb/backup and if Cousins or RG3 preforms well we will trade one of them IMO.The only reason why I say the pick was bad is because this is Washington. Our Fans are fulll of HS 20/20. If the Shanny regine doesn't do well we would all have the answer of what MS could've/ should've done this draft.

Andrew Luck will get back to you on that when the laughter stops.

Hail.

Watch the tape he absolutely does, that doesn't make him the better QB by any means, all it means once he reads the defense his reaction where to go or at least where he believes he should throw is faster than anyone coming out this year inc. Luck. Luck on the other hand brings a lot of NFL type reads with him, moving safeties with his eye's being able to read a D and audible out of a play accordingly, he has a brilliant football mind to go with his physical attributes which is why he is being considered the greatest QB prospect since Elway, and I believe rightly so.

Archived