Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We need to draft 2 QBs

Riggo-toni

Yes I know we need OL and FS help in the worst way, but...

We would be wise to pick up a developmental prospect in the draft this year. The Packers drafted Flynn the same year as Rodgers even though they had Favre. We drafted Frerotte the same year as Shuler, and he turned out to be a better QB from the get-go. Griffin has great character and athletic ability, but noone can definitively know if he will be durable, provided he is successful. Ron Mexico has been great on the field despite being a worthless scumbag off it, but he seldom lasts an entire season.

This year will be a transition/learning year. Even after Cam Newton's exploits, the Panthers didn't go far this year with a rookie sensation QB. If there's a late round prospect with excellent potential to be had on the 2nd day of the draft, we should jump on it. Remember the Skins once had 3 SB QBs on the roster at the same time - Williams, Rypien, and Humphries.

Beck is toast - not worthy of an NFL roster spot. Grossman is an aging backup and a turnover machine. He can hold the #2 spot for another year or two. Look at what happened to the Texans this year.

I dunno. 3 rookie QB's? I think you need an experienced QB on the roster to mentor a little. I don't know if Rex is the guy...do you really want him offering advice? "Hey, here is how I would do it." NOOOOO!

Duh! Wait, I guess reading is fundamental. You meant two total and keep Grossman. Sorry, still in FA thread reading mode.

Yates was a great late pickup by the Texans, good example. Who could we get in the later rounds? I saw the top 5 listed last night on the ticker with Cousins being the 5th. I imagine we would want to use one of our 6th round picks to bring in a QB to compete.

I'm all for bring in a vet, but drafting another QB? nah.

We made it through 2011 with two QBs. I say bring back Rex to backup RG3.

The point was Rex would be the backup for the next 2 years. It takes QBs at least a year or more to adjust, unlike OL who can become a force within a game or 2. Drafting our 3rd stringer this year means he will be ready to step up to #2 by 2014. Having only 2 QBs nearly bit us in the tuckus when Rex got the flu. The Rams drafted Bulger when they had Warner, the Pats drafted Cassel when they had Brady...and carried 4 QBs on the roster in 2000 to keep Brady whom they drafted despite having a #1 overall pick and former SB QB Bledsoe.

Beck is still under contract unfortunately and Rex is without one at this point. I'd personally like to see Beck gone and Rex re-signed. I also don't think we should use a draft pick on a QB because I'd rather us sign an undrafted UFA.

Beck will be cut as soon as we re-sign Grossman or some other vet backup.

I don't see drafting another QB, but if we did someone like Wilson would be interesting. Apparently in the NFL all you need to do is have one or two good starts behind a good starter and you're all set. Everyone talks about Brady as late round QB success, but we're going to see more of the Flynn, Yates, Hoyer types going forward. Would be a nice trade bait to have a guy like Wilson on the roster, but that's a luxury I don't think we can afford.

I just don't see it. We still have some holes that will need to be filled after FA. And after the trade up I don't think we have the luxury of trying to find a developmental guy in the mid to late rounds. We need invest every one of our picks into guys we think will be able to compete and see playing time.

Unless there is someone out there in the later rounds that shouldn't be there, and we would get excellent value for him, I say no to drafting 2 QBs. Bring in some veteran FAs, and maybe look at some UDFA though if we feel we must.

The team does not need it. The team could do it. But let's face it, any developmental QB should not see the light of day in 2012. But if there's a guy late that the team likes, sure make the pick. But no need to force anything. You can always draft a late round guy next year.

Draft RGIII, bring in a vet (Grossman, Orton, Leinart, I don't really care), and then draft Wilson, but only if he's there in the 6th or later.

Don't draft a QB in the first 5 rounds. We need those picks for players. The sanction has basically made it a necessity that we find solid depth or if possible, mid-season starter talent as late in the draft as possible.

We have a developmental guy on the practice squad, no need to waste another pick one this year.

Crompton is terrible, honestly. I see no harm in using a pick on Wilson or Moore in the late rounds. Development is important, and, as previously stated, if RG3 goes down, we're screwed anyway. We may as well use this season to develop a top-tier backup.

Pat White. Has he got a job at the moment.

:ols: :ols: :ols:

Thanks for the laugh from across the ocean, Englands Team.

---------- Post added March-14th-2012 at 12:59 PM ----------

I need 200 million and I doubt I will ever get it. I am glad we are getting one good one. What is the point of drafting two and we still have the guy we drafted last year.

We did not draft a QB last year.

I like Grossman as the back up and only as the back up. He should definitely be able to help RGIII learn the ropes. And wouldn't you rather have a guy who HAS won SOME games with the Skins to come in a game should RGIII get hurt. Beck on the other hand is a waste of space and I would love to see him go; however, he is on contract so that might just be flushing more cap $ down the drain when we don't need to. As mentioned above we have a developmental QB, Jonathan Crompton, on the practice squad. Maybe he is the next Flynn. I wouldn't want to use up a draft pick just for the sake of it.

Perhaps if late round BPA is a QB we do it... other than that doing anything else with the QB depth apart from cutting Beck and/or replacing with an undrafted free agent seems a waste of our resources.

As others have mentioned, I bet we bring Beck back because it makes the most financial sense -- something we need to take into account because of the NFL ruling.

Beck says all the right things, but it's clear he has no confidence in his downfield accuracy -- watching him check down to running backs and tight ends while RG3 airs it out...

I think we would be an entirely different team with anyone under center other than RG3, but with Beck it will be a night and day difference.

I would eat Beck's deal and bring back Rex as the backup, who is at least aggressive and has shown he can win games in the NFL.

I imagine Leinart will be a name tossed around by some, but the Shanahans like aggressive QBS -- Leinart is the checkdown king. Like Beck, he just doesn't trust his downfield accuracy.

Archived