Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We need to draft 2 QBs

Riggo-toni

How could it? One guy was picked with a single 4th and the other took 3 firsts and a second to pick.

Because when the media sees a potentially juicy storyline, they will stop at nothing to cause as much of a rift in the locker room as possible. Funny how they spend all year building up RGlll, only to (in a way) tear him down by saying that he should be afraid of Kirk Cousins, or that Kirk should be pissed because he's going somewhere where he won't get the opportunity to be a starter.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there has ever been a 4th round QB that was expected to be a starter out of the gate, otherwise they wouldn' thave been selected in the 4th round...

This really should be a non-story. Shanahan will give RGlll every single opportunity in the world to either succeed or fail. He has no choice. This is all media bull****.

1. We need at least 2 QBs. Most NFL teams carry 3. We scraped by with 2 of the worst last year.

2. Rex was willing to serve as a back up this year, but I doubt he'd be back next year.

3. I very seriously doubt Shanny wants Rex around more than this year.

4. We are in the midst of a youth movement across the roster.

5. Cousins was likely graded above the spot where he was taken -- if value is sitting there, you take it, no matter what position.

6. We do not know if any of the other guys with higher grades were there for the Cousins pick, but logic says they weren't.

7. It's better to pick better talent at an unneeded position than a lesser talent at a needed position.

MAYOCK & JLC of all people said it best, current QBs had there chance and didn't get it done, even for backups. The Skins are done with them. You treat the QB position just like any other and take the BPA. Can't believe how much garbage we're getting, when you either get yourself a really good backup in Cousins or give the ability to flip him for a high pick in a couple of years.

After all the crying about our QB situation, I can't believe some are not happy with this pick.

Peace out Beck and welcome to the pine Rex.

Exactly and I think the ones who are complaining the most see it as a threat to Griffin which in my opinion is selfish. It's about the team as a whole and nothing more.

Honestly, I think it is them trying to rip on the Skins'. If it were New England or the Colts (hey, they got another QB...right? ) Then it would have been touted a genius move.

Not the biggest fan of the pick (cant wait to hear how well Capt. Kirk is doing in training camp and RG3 is struggling...from all the idiots that scan each incompletion). However, if he was their BPA then you grab him. I was hoping for a big time safety to be there but I will trust Allen and the Shannys.

Seriously, did you think the press would actually say nice things about the team?

BTW, nice call. You should have a custom rank of "Jimmy the Greek".

I can understand drafting backup QB next year or later, but not the same year, especially when you already paid a high price for at that position. Cousins is not going to beat out Rex for #2. And, there's no guarantee we can turn Cousins into 1/2/3 pick later in a trade. The only way you get that is if Griffin turns into a establish all pro, Cousins comes in while Griffin is hurt and lights it up. With the little sample playing time, teams might take a chance, ala Kolbs. Those are some big what ifs...
Well said bro.

And drafting Cousins precludes adding an contributing or impact player with that 4th round pick.

Well said bro.

And drafting Cousins precludes adding an contributing or impact player with that 4th round pick.

Realistically adding an impact player in the fourth round where the odds of landing a starter is about 15-20%, is not that great. On the other hand, landing a backup quarterback who some had graded a second round talent in the fourth has a lot better chance.

Well said bro.

Count me among those who also disagree with the Cousins pick. They need to be all-in with Griffin, given what they've given up in real, tangible assets (i.e. draft picks). If it's possible to have a harmful draft pick, I'd have to characterize the Cousins pick as harmful to Griffin and the Shanahans need to recognize that his success is their success. They seem to be trying to build an insurance policy both against his durability issues (such as they are) and, I hate to say it, against him becoming too big for them to control.

Count me among those who also disagree with the Cousins pick. They need to be all-in with Griffin, given what they've given up in real, tangible assets (i.e. draft picks). If it's possible to have a harmful draft pick, I'd have to characterize the Cousins pick as harmful to Griffin and the Shanahans need to recognize that his success is their success. They seem to be trying to build an insurance policy both against his durability issues (such as they are) and, I hate to say it, against him becoming too big for them to control.

Count me among those who disagree with you.

Seems like some are trying to make this a RG3 vs Cousins thing when it's really a Cousins vs Grossman thing. We need more than just one QB on the roster and I would like quality QB depth that will allow me to not give up on the season if our starter goes down. We keep signing Rex to a new one year contract every season. It's not like Grossman is guaranteed to be with us a long time. If our starter goes down or misses some time, I'd rather have a quality back up that can step in and perform like Todd Collins did for us than to have a season completely collapse.

This is not much different from taking Brohm and Flynn for Green Bay.

Rookie quarterbacks need a lot of help and support to be successful. Drafting Kirk Cousins in the 4th round does not help RG3 in any way, shape, or form as he prepares to take on the enormous challenge of becoming this team's leader this year.

If you think this is a good move, if you really think it's okay to spend a 4th round pick on QB depth when your starter isn't really fully established yet, but your franchise has made a commitment to him, then tell me honestly what you thought a few weeks ago when the Jets traded a 4th rounder for Tim Tebow after signing Mark Sanchez to an extension earlier this offseason?

Did you honestly think "wow, that's a great move. I hope the Redskins do something like that."

Rookie quarterbacks need a lot of help and support to be successful. Drafting Kirk Cousins in the 4th round does not help RG3 in any way, shape, or form as he prepares to take on the enormous challenge of becoming this team's leader this year.

If you think this is a good move, if you really think it's okay to spend a 4th round pick on QB depth when your starter isn't really fully established yet, but your franchise has made a commitment to him, then tell me honestly what you thought a few weeks ago when the Jets traded a 4th rounder for Tim Tebow after signing Mark Sanchez to an extension earlier this offseason?

Did you honestly think "wow, that's a great move. I hope the Redskins do something like that."

I can't believe you need someone to explain to you the difference in those two situations, and between Tebow & Cousins. Sadly, while the actual POV of questioning the selection of Cousins is reasonable, I continue to see it presented in fairly dumb manner (mostly, and by a notable margin). It's become an instant flypaper topic on which a lot of stupid is landing and sticking. But I'm going to move on from it, at least for now, and let others hammer away if they want.

And the whole tangent of how the selection somehow screws with RG3 needs to be abandoned by anyone who wishes their challenging of the pick to be regarded with credibility.

Tebow is a former first round pick with a much bigger contract, starting experience, and a ridiculous amount of hype. Cousins is a 4th round rookie. If you can't see the difference yourself it's not worth even having the argument.

Unless of course Cousins is a good guy and helps Griffin out. Considering both guys are likely secure and confident people, the presence of another will be of little consequence.

I can't believe you need someone to explain to you the difference in those two situations, and between Tebow & Cousins. Sadly, while the actual POV of questioning the selection of Cousins is reasonable, I continue to see it presented in fairly dumb manner (mostly, and by a notable margin). It's become an instant flypaper topic on which a lot of stupid is landing and sticking. But I'm going to move on from it, at least for now, and let others hammer away if they want.

And the whole tangent of how the selection somehow screws with RG3 needs to be abandoned by anyone who wishes their challenging of the pick to be regarded with credibility.

Okay, I get it. I just meant that both organizations are sending mixed messages by simultaneously supporting one QB while bringing in someone who may be viewed as a threat to him. I'll retract the Tebow comment. Wow...

I do stand by my questioning of the pick however, and the fact that rookie QBs need the support of their organizations and during his rookie year, while Rex is under contract, depth isn't such a glaring need.

An impersonal and non-personal action such as adding a draft pick is not going to have much of an effect psychologically, and if the people involved properly console the player in question, then there will be no problem. And for RGIII, he is so confident that the action will probably be just viewed as another challenge. This is no different from Brohm and Flynn being taken.

Archived