Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We need to draft 2 QBs

Riggo-toni

Epochalypse does a good job of showing another key element often missing in such discussion---the moves made by the FO to address a perceived need shared by FO & fans, but done in a different manner than a particular fan's plan---i.e., getting a player at a different point than the fan, but addressing the same general issue/need, as part of the pro's formula in taking the guy who they did take when they took him.

Per various talking heads media/pundits...I honestly rank 90% of them at a lower level that the smarter message board posters as they often seem to have no more savvy of the topic and actually do have more agenda (and I have known a few media guys) going than simply making accurate, considered, informed, personal commentary---some is scripted, some is other-agenda-driven re: ratings, "excitement", pumping controversy, personal, etc) and aside from all that, few of them (even most former players) are of the same level in access and experience as pro FO's of course (I am allowing for the few that were former successful FO people, like some ex-coaches). So I don't normally give them a much weight whether they agree with a view I hold or not.

Oh, no question SWFL. He obviously didn't above the guy he did pick.

But it doesn't necessarily make it the right move and not worth debating.

Hail.

Debating yes, hating no. I would have chosen someone else GHH, but I am not a Head Coach with two SuperBowl wins and a possible Canton speech to write. I just choose to defer to him believing that he knows what he is doing considering the facts. Last years draft so impressed me I am in awe of it. I see virtually no flaws or leaps of risk from it.

When I look further into it, maybe he truly did not like the C from Baylor and really likes Monty and the two versatile picks on OL he got better. ? Some of that opened the door for him to correct his major gaff since becoming the Redskins HC and a persistent problem that the Redskins have endured. Poor QB play and not overall depth sunk last year, and it was his first time having Suck really sink in. I don't think the 2 QB moves reek of desperation to fix that but of calculated planning to cover all bases and ensure the best effort toward not reliving the Suck at QB again.

And you're a fan, what's your point?

Well, my point (above) on that angle may answer for E. Yours seems to be that you would be as well off quoting E as banks. I'd agree with that. I wish E got paid like Banks. :pfft:

I keed. :)

Oh, no question SWFL. He obviously didn't above the guy he did pick.

But it doesn't necessarily make it the right move and not worth debating.

Hail.

I hope it is a terrible move, like wasting money on insurance you never use. Again, I think it was an insurance policy for QB, nothing more, nothing less. Shanny does not want to see some journeyman vet trot out on the field hoping for the best. Let Sexy teach, let the young men play. If RG3 stays healthy we never have to call Cousins Insurance for help.

Well put though a bit verbose. :D

Translation for those who don't speak Jumboese... (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong Jumbo)

Shanahan and company have FAR more resources than we as fans to grade potential picks and if we can be open minded, it usually shows once all of the chips are on the table.

As for drafting Cousins, for those who dont "get it"... look at the complete collapse Indi had without Manning. As Casserly put it... "What is the most important position on the team? Quarterback. What is the second most important position on your team? Backup Quarterback."

As much as we should improve this year, our real run at a superbowl wont come until the following season, at which time we may be very thankful to have someone like Cousins on board with a year under his belt should RG3 go down for a game or two.

Nah, that's good enough. And what some see as verbose (which is fine) is usually just my practice of being very detailed and specific of content as I learned to do in a great deal of writing/speaking in two very different professional capacities over four decades. I wish detail and specificity were more the norm than not (though not the way I do it :ols:), along with competent reading comprehension. As you and most informed readers here know, I make more than half my posts of much briefer and sillier content. :D

Well, my point (above) on that angle may answer for E. Yours seems to be that you would be as well off quoting E as banks. I'd agree with that. I wish E got paid like Banks. :pfft:

Que?

I know all team's boards go koko during draft time, and I know we don't have the knowledge of the FO. The only thing that makes sense is that a rookie QB is cheaper than Beck (he was cut obviously), but they could got some guy after the sixth round if that was the goal. Just my 2 cents.

The only thing that makes sense is that a rookie QB is cheaper than Beck (he was cut obviously), but they could got some guy after the sixth round if that was the goal.
Yes, I suppose "they could have got some guy after the 6th round." :)

I also wish I got paid like Banks.

Strangely enough very few people offer me money for my opinions...

---------- Post added April-29th-2012 at 12:10 PM ----------

Que?

I know all team's boards go koko during draft time, and I know we don't have the knowledge of the FO. The only thing that makes sense is that a rookie QB is cheaper than Beck (he was cut obviously), but they could got some guy after the sixth round if that was the goal. Just my 2 cents.

The difference is Shanahan who has documented history of developing QBs to their potential, thought enough of Cousins that he could do something with him. The same might not be said for any of the later QB projects.

Shanahan didn't draft Cousins to check off "late round flier on QB". He drafted him because he saw someone he could develop into something worthwhile. Shanahan sees more in Cousins than Just Another Guy. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and I accept it may be a few years before we really ever know if it was a good decision or not.

I welcome the Shanny's thinking in that getting "Just a 6th round guy" won't fly.

Again, we aren't going to the Superbowl. We have a 2nd rounder next year. Maybe we can get our "impact player" there. Yes, this is a value pick, but what is more valuable than the QB position? Especially for a team like the Skins, who haven't had anything remotely resembling a franchise QB/backup QB since I was eating applesauce and watching Reading Rainbow.

I welcome the Shanny's thinking in that getting "Just a 6th round guy" won't fly.

Again, we aren't going to the Superbowl. We have a 2nd rounder next year. Maybe we can get our "impact player" there. Yes, this is a value pick, but what is more valuable than the QB position? Especially for a team like the Skins, who haven't had anything remotely resembling a franchise QB/backup QB since I was eating applesauce and watching Reading Rainbow.

Except this is the NFL, where you should play every year as if you might be going to the Super Bowl. No one expected the 49ers to do anything, and they went 13-3 including playing the AFC North, same division we play this year. Giants we beat twice last year, they go 9-7 and end up winning the Super Bowl. Even if we don't go this year, think about the year after. If we're making a playoff run in 2013, wouldn't you rather Cousins with a year experience under his belt coming in if RGIII goes down then QB X, whether that be Rex on yet another one year deal or some other random QB with less than a year in the system?

Long view people.

Except this is the NFL, where you should play every year as if you might be going to the Super Bowl. No one expected the 49ers to do anything, and they went 13-3 including playing the AFC North, same division we play this year. Giants we beat twice last year, they go 9-7 and end up winning the Super Bowl. Even if we don't go this year, think about the year after. If we're making a playoff run in 2013, wouldn't you rather Cousins with a year experience under his belt coming in if RGIII goes down then QB X, whether that be Rex on yet another one year deal or some other random QB with less than a year in the system?

Long view people.

Wait, I am defending the Cousins pick. I'm not against it...

Yeah, I get that. I am projecting how this team will look going forward long term. I've been thinking that way since the end of the 2010 season. Yeah, it would be great if we really surprised a lot of people this year, but it most likely won't happen. When I say we aren't going to the SB, I mean that I, personally, do not expect it. That doesn't mean that the team should feel that way, in fact, they absolutely should not feel that way.

I went back and looked at the three drafts prior to this year, 2009, 2010, and 2011.

I looked at all the DBs taken fourth round and later.

I looked at all the QBs taken fourth round and later.

There are a lot more QBs that stuck with their team and played significant roles on their teams then DBs percentage wise. By a long shot.

You left that post pretty ambiguous E, with no names and figures. I haven't looked at the DB's over the period, but if that's right, and I'm not saying it isn't, there must of been some pretty darn poor DB's taken.

I make it 22 QB's taking between rounds 4 and 7 between 2009 through 2011. 11 have thus far yet to see any playing time, 6 have played in a combined 16 games (4 starts) totaling 154 combined passes. Of the remaining 5, Arizona's John Skelton with 13 games/ 11 starts, Houston's T.J. Yates with 6 games/ 5 starts (2 games/ 2 starts in the post season); and Indy's Curtis Painter with 11 games/ 8 starts are the standouts. Followed by the Vikings Joe Webb 16 games/ 3 starts and Rams Keith Null. (4 games/ 4 starts.).

Again, if that amounts to a bigger percentage of 'significant roles' with their respective teams then it must of been a shocking period for mid-late round DB's.

Hail.

.....Don Banks says

"The Redskins simply aren't in the position to take that sort of nonessential gamble.....

What is the "Gamble"?

That the fragile Ego of RGIII will be hurt? ...........Not likely as Shanny has already said RGIII = Franchise

That the Valuable round 4 pick will not be put into play?..........Possible especially if Rex is no longer on the roster (1 year contract)

That Kirk wont perform for us as he is designated Back Up?........One of his possitives is Leadership and Jaws said thats a hit since Kirk needs to bury the impulse. I dont get that since if Kirk is a Good leader...he will be a Good follower

Is it a Gamble to have a Young Back Up on the roster?

Is it a Gamble to give said Back Up time to develop?

Is it a Gamble to to have three players to cover the most IMPORTANT POSITION ON THE TEAM?

I think its a gamble not to

If we're making a playoff run in 2013, wouldn't you rather Cousins with a year experience under his belt coming in if RGIII goes down then QB X, whether that be Rex on yet another one year deal or some other random QB with less than a year in the system?

Long view people.

I'd be equally as happy with a later round QB to develop over the next few years to play the same role and still have potentially gotten a guy in the 4th that would be a regular contributor.

Equally long view. Different method.

Hail.

I'd be equally as happy with a later round QB to develop over the next few years to play the same role.....
Same Role....but a 4th rounder should outperform a 6th rounder

And Kirk was projected to be a 2nd - 3rd rounder

I am Happier that we got 3rd round talent that will need LESS time to develop then a 6th

Would you not feel better with a 2nd rounder coming off the bench then a 7th?

All the above is speculation...but you can see the point about VALUE

:ols:

I guess I'm two for two then (Hankerson last year, Cousins this year)...

As for the lotto: 5, 10, 12, 25, 26 :silly:

There's always that 32-39 combo. I'm still recovering from getting 3 numbers right in the Mega Millions, and being 4 numbers off of the Powerball like three years ago. I could be chillin' in Prague or somewhere, riding in a Veyron. :ols:

:kickcan:

You left that post pretty ambiguous E, with no names and figures. I haven't looked at the DB's over the period, but if that's right, and I'm not saying it isn't, there must of been some pretty darn poor DB's taken.

I make it 22 QB's taking between rounds 4 and 7 between 2009 through 2011. 11 have thus far yet to see any playing time, 6 have played in a combined 16 games (4 starts) totaling 154 combined passes. Of the remaining 5, Arizona's John Skelton with 13 games/ 11 starts, Houston's T.J. Yates with 6 games/ 5 starts (2 games/ 2 starts in the post season); and Indy's Curtis Painter with 11 games/ 8 starts are the standouts. Followed by the Vikings Joe Webb 16 games/ 3 starts and Rams Keith Null. (4 games/ 4 starts.).

Again, if that amounts to a bigger percentage of 'significant roles' with their respective teams then it must of been a shocking period for mid-late round DB's.

Hail.

To be fair I started typing out all the names of the DBs and it got overwhelming very fast.

But just based on the numbers you throw out for QBs, without going back to confirm, I'm seeing 39 starts from those 22 QBs.

ARI traded a 2nd rounder and DRC for Kolb, but 11 games were started by John Skelton. They finished 8-8, two games away from competing for the playoffs.

HOU had Matt Schaub, but it was Yates starting as they went to the playoffs.

IND had Manning, but Painter started half the season for a team that the previous 11 or so years made the playoffs. They went 2-14.

MIN had just traded for McNabb, drafted Ponder with a first, and yet it Joe Webb started three games for them. He also beat us, ruining the Vikings chance at the haul the Rams got from us.

STL had first rounder Bradford and Keith Null started 4 games for them.

If ARI had a better backup they might have made the playoffs.

If HOU had a better backup they might have gone further then they did.

If IND had a better backup they might have continued their run of playoff seasons.

I can't imagine any of those teams can say that backup QB wasn't as important to how their season unfolded as a 4th round pick at any other position was, and that was all just last year.

Archived