Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

On 12/1/2018 at 5:57 PM, Califan007 said:

Saw Bohemian Rhapsody...not gonna grade it lol. It's entertaining but it's also obviously a less-than-gritty look at the band's career with Mercury. Rami Malek was really good, though, and there were more than enough moments in there where I saw Mercury and not Malek. The ending was damn good, though, on a lot of fronts.

It's not as gritty because the band didn't want it that way. That's why Sasha Cohen dropped out. 

I really enjoyed Hold the Dark.  D.C.'s own Jeffrey Wright was so good, as was Skarrsgard (who will forever be "Eric" from True Blood).  Crazy friggin' movie.  One of those slow burn films like The Revenant and Wind River.  There's something about those desolate, winter backdrops used for suspense thrillers that just kick it up a notch.

I'm kinda bummed that Wright's career didn't' really start to flourish until the last 10 years or so.  He's in his mid-50s, and I didn't really start to notice him until the mid 2000s.  He's a strong enough actor to carry the lead role in big movies, and this was the first film that I'm aware of where he's been the lead dog.  And he crushed it.  Hope to see more. 

• Like 3

"The Lobster", collin farrell, john c reilly, came out in 2016

In a dystopian society, single people must find a mate within 45 days or be transformed into an animal of their choice.

87% tomato

64% audience score

- if you like international dark comedies, you would like this. Had the pace and feel of "a man called ove". Well done movie, I found the ending very unsatisfying though. I imagine that was the directors point .. to kinda leave the audience hanging with their thoughts not fully answered. The story didnt have an ending, it just ended.

• Like 2

On 12/12/2018 at 7:34 AM, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

In a dystopian society, single people must find a mate within 45 days or be transformed into an animal of their choice.

87% tomato

64% audience score

- if you like international dark comedies, you would like this. Had the pace and feel of "a man called ove". Well done movie, I found the ending very unsatisfying though. I imagine that was the directors point .. to kinda leave the audience hanging with their thoughts not fully answered. The story didnt have an ending, it just ended.

I loved that movie! 

Night School - dumb as hell for the most part.  Credit where it's due, I did laugh out loud really hard like two or three times.  But overall, weak story and it was 30 mins too long. 

A Simple Favor- I liked it a bunch.  Kendrick is a natural but Blake really shined, she continues to grow as an actress.  And the handsome dude from Crazy Rich Asians was in it so my wife loved that :kickcan:.  Fun movie to watch. twists and turns than galore, a solid whodunnit.

Spoiler

Basically a Gone Girl 2.0,  but it worked quite well

Edited by Chew
  • Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 3:26 PM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Yep, love AI. Might be the first movie that made me cry as like a 12yr old. 

I was a weeping mess watching that movie. If you could remember he's not a real boy, I guess it would be a lot less sad, but you always feel like he is a real boy. As good as it is, I don't think I could go through the agony of watching it ever again.  

• Thanks 1

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 8:12 AM, Spaceman Spiff said:

Can't tell a story about a person who lead a decadent, X or at least R rated life (Freddie) and give it a PG-13 rating and make it accessible to everyone.  Should have given it to Oliver Stone so he could have done it like The Doors movie.  R rated Queen movie, I'm there.  I wanna see the record release party where they had midgets with trays of cocaine on their heads running around.  If you're gonna make a rock n' roll movie, don't sanitize it.

I totally agree with this, and it's also why I believe Rock is dead. They have sanitized it. They've sanitized the music industry, and now they're sanitizing its history with movies like this. That said, I did enjoy Bohemian Rhapsody. It was chronologically incorrect - Freddy probably wasn't even aware he had HIV when they signed on to do Live Aid - and I thought they wasted the last half hour recreating the entire Live Aid performance instead of giving Queen fans more insight into the 80's era and the music they were making at the dawn of the video age. But I liked how they told the story of his relationship with Mary. And I liked the performances. The guy playing Brian May looked just like him!      

• Like 1

You Were Never Really Here

Joaquin Phoenix was superb. Just superb. The movie itself is rather good, with an ending that you may find yourself googling for an explanation lol...War vet with PTSD makes a living finding missing/kidnapped girls under the law's radar. There are actually two interpretations of the movie which both make sense (one moreso than the other, in my opinion).

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/27/2018 at 8:12 AM, Spaceman Spiff said:

Can't tell a story about a person who lead a decadent, X or at least R rated life (Freddie) and give it a PG-13 rating and make it accessible to everyone.  Should have given it to Oliver Stone so he could have done it like The Doors movie.  R rated Queen movie, I'm there.  I wanna see the record release party where they had midgets with trays of cocaine on their heads running around.  If you're gonna make a rock n' roll movie, don't sanitize it.

40 years ago, Queen rocked New Orleans -- and invaded the Fairmont Hotel

Many Mardi Gras queens were presented in their finery at the Municipal Auditorium over the years. But on Halloween night 1978, it was the band Queen that displayed lead singer Freddie Mercury’s "fine showmanship,'' as The Times-Picayune put it. While not everything about the concert delighted our reviewer, one thing certainly made an impact: the post-concert debauchery at the Fairmont Hotel.

The bulk of Kelly Tucker’s review in the TP focuses on the post-concert party at the Fairmont (now the Roosevelt), to which 50 reporters from around the world were flown in to attend, along with record company executives and many other people "defying categorization.''

Tucker described the gathering as "the wildest Halloween party in town.'' It included "20 topless dancers, witch doctors, strippers, mime artists, female impersonators in a beauty pageant, marching Dixieland jazz bands, snake charmers, fortune tellers and, to coincide with Queen’s new ‘Fat Bottomed Girls’ single, ‘professional fat persons.’''

But wait, there’s more!

"Electra/Asylum, Queen’s record label, also went to the extreme, decorating the ballroom. Large video screens showed nude girls in a bicycle race staged by Queen in England. Two simulated shrimp trawlers were covered with most every seafood imaginable. Everything down to the table centerpieces -- dried arrangements in carved out pumpkins -- was exquisitely designed,'' Tucker wrote.

67OCTMWEFNGRDAE5IR6FGSRCF4.jpg

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 2

Bird Box

Post-apocalyptic movie with creatures taking control of people's mind. Malorie's children have never seen the sky since they were born, blindfolded, all three will face the outside. They will begin a terrifying journey on the river, in a desperate attempt to join a colony of survivors.

Good acting performance but the movie fails to deliver its true potential.

Edited by FrFan
  • Sad 1

Just saw Bumblebee, I liked it. It turned into too much of a feel good kid story for my taste at the end, but then again I’m not a kid. The Retro transformers and the fights were awesome, you get a look at cyberton also which was cool. Much better than the the previous few transformer movies. 

• Like 1

Yeah I saw Bumblebee as well.  It was pretty good.  The G1 designs were great.  It had heart which was always lacking in the Bayformers movies.  The robot battles were well done and slowed down so you tell who was who and the decepticons weren’t just mindless drones.  Cena’s character was over the top, but otherwise the human character’s weren’t annoying.  Still would have liked to see more transformers and more Cybertron.  Also they seemed to not want to commit to this movie being a prequel to the ‘07 movie.  They had enough tie ins to say it’s a prequel but there are also things that were contradictory like they’re angling for a complete reboot.  The mythology was so convoluted by Bay anyway throughout his 5 movies so i guess it’s not a big deal. 

• Like 1

I saw Aquaman. I liked it. It had some flaws but for the entire movie being CGI it wasn’t distracting and was pretty good. Momoa is very entertaining. He dominates the screen, I hope this leads to more roles for him. 

The plot is essentially “Black Panther under water” which is probably why it did better than most recent DC movies 

i always hated Aquaman and thought he was lame. This probably goes too far trying to make him a badass but i was ok with it because if you have Momoa there isn’t much reason to do anything else. 

Amber Heard is crazy hot as Mera too. 

Still didn’t like the goofy ass Manta outfit with the big red eyes but the actor that played him was really good. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, Bang said:

This looks amazing. (I couldn't find the trailers thread) given the extremely limited release, i think it will be a chore to track down. On my list, though.

Gonna be terrific.  Peter Jackson is a genius and will serve the material well.  I wouldn't be surprised to see it pop up at an art house in DC, especially with the military subject.

On 12/21/2018 at 7:57 AM, FrFan said:

Bird Box

Good acting performance but the movie fails to deliver its true potential.

Unfortunately, any movie that premieres on Netflix is probably gonna have some issues.  It's usually a last resort kinda deal, where they couldn't find a studio to do a wide release.  

I highly recommend the book.  Loved it.  It was certainly a tough adaptation.  Sometimes good books are better left on the shelf.  

On 12/12/2018 at 9:34 AM, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

This was one of the best times I had at the movies in a long time.  Hilarious.  

Might be worth hunting down The Favourite which hit theaters this weekend.  Same director.  Same kinda humor.  I hear it's incredible.  Looking forward to checking it out myself.  

• Like 2

Bird Box was a fun watch, solid supernatural thriller.    Didn't know it had such a big cast.  Sure, it had some holes and some "what are you doing?!" moments, but overall it was solid.  I love Sandra Bullock.  I was nervous the whole time LOL.  Nothing special but was cool.  Big John Malky was the best part.

A Boy, a Girl, a Dream. Indie gold.  Never heard of this movie but saw it got an 85% on rotten and a Sundance Festival nod, so we checked it out.  They filmed this entire movie, 1 hour 26 minutes, in one continuous shot.  Omari Hardwick (Ghost from STARZ "Power") and Meagan Good meet one night in LA, during the 2016 election.  

Filmed in one take, it follows the two from when they meet at a food truck gathering to a night club, then a street fight and LAPD encounter, an uber ride to a house in the hills for an election watch party, to a restaurant.  The camera follows two broken souls who have lost faith in themselves that fall for each other as they uplift one another over the course of one night.  Phenomenal performance by Hardwick.

Among other social issues the movie addresses, it captures just how devastated Black people in America were when Trump won.

With gorgeous shots of LA at night from the Hollywood Hills, this film really captures the beauty and magic of the city and what lures people there to follow their dreams.  And the ethereal music throughout enhances the nearly palpable energy between two people when they fall in love.  

Indie film enthusiasts deserve more ambitious projects like this.  

Edited by Chew
  • Like 1

Did a double shot at the movies today.

Homes and Watson gets a solid B as the latest pairing of Will Ferrell and John Reilly was enjoyable.  It's a silly movie but those 2 work well together, which kept me entertaining.

Vice  gets an A.  Christian Bale will get nominated for his portrayal of Darth Vader err Dick Cheney.  It was narrated by

Spoiler

the person who's donated heart was given to Dick Cheney.  You don't find out that until late in the movie.

The movie showed just how evil Dick Cheney really was.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Venom didn’t do a whole lot for me.  Something was just “off” about it.

C+ at best.

My man, you always come through for me. 

Soooo many people I talked to said they loved Venom.  I thought it was pretty bad.  Well, it at least wasn't good.   

• Thanks 1