Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

Recently saw "Johnny English Strikes Again" and it gets a B.   

I saw "Bohemian Rhapsody" yesterday and it gets a B. Rami Malek was perfect as Freddie Mercury. He will be at least nominated for an Oscar, for his portrayal.  He was that good. You believed he was Freddie.  

Spoiler

Love the ending scene, they recreated the Live Aid performance for 3-4 songs.

Edited by Rdskns2000
  • Like 1

Equalizer 2 was pretty solid.  extreme graphic violence.  Denzel, god bless 'em, is getting a little long in the toof (63), and he's hand-to-handing bammas half his age.  A little hard to believe, but Denzel will forever get a pass.  I was very much entertained.

The Meg - is this joint gonna be nominated for anything?  No.  Did Statham play himself?  Yes.  Was I still happy with all the giant shark CGI and action?  Yep!   :headbang: Felt like a sequel to Deep Blue Sea.

Like Father - meh.  I love Kelsey Grammer and Kristen Bell, but it was kinda boring. 

Sicaro 2 - Another pleasant surprise.  Definitely not as strong without Emily in this one, but the violence was extremely graphic like the first one and Brolin vs Benicio was still pretty epic. 

Kings - Jesus HAROLD.  My wife loves Halle Berry and I'm a Daniel Craig fan, so I thought this period piece set in the early 90s during the LA riots might be decent.  Probably the worst movie I've seen since Venom.  It so badly wanted to be deep and thought provoking, but failed miserably.  Plot was all over the place, pacing was frantic.  The acting was actually pretty solid by Halle and Craig, but the writing was just SO bad.  We did get to see Halle Barry's nude butt, though, which was quite nice. 

My fellow movie fanatics, I'd humbly like to request that Steven Spielberg's AI: Artificial Intelligence be considered for the list of underrated, misunderstood, & underappreciated films.  Or at least the ending, anyway.  I loved the movie when it first came out in '01, and I've seen it a dozen or so times over the years.  But my mindset and outlook on life has changed dramatically since I'd last seen it, and I watched it in its entirety by myself at like 2 in the morning and was blown away.  The last 20 minutes of this movie, from when we see the AI Mech flying in on their futuristic hovercraft.... to when the film fades to black and the credits roll, it's the kind of movie magic that I live for.   A.I. is a god damn Steven Spielberg masterpiece.   I remember there was a yuge controversy about how Kubrick wanted the movie to end, and what Spielberg ended up doing with it.  

The chemistry between Haley Joel and Jude Law throughout the movie was incredible.  And I forgot that Frances O'Connor was the mother in this joint, she's one of my top 10 favorite actresses alive.  And the narration during the final scenes are voiced by Sir Ben Kingsley. 

The final chapter of Spielberg's A.I. is essentially about the end of humanity on planet Earth. 

https://film.avclub.com/contrary-to-popular-opinion-spielberg-found-the-perfec-1798278649

Unpredictability, though, is not necessarily what audiences want, which brings us to the focal point of controversy over A.I., and a major reason the movie is more of a cult item than a confirmed modern classic: the film’s ending. Initially, David’s drive leads him to the bottom of the ocean, staring at a statue of the Blue Fairy, convinced that if he waits long enough, she will work her magic. You may have heard, or even subscribed to, the belief that this moment, with David waiting underwater indefinitely, is the “correct” end to the film. But the movie presses on past this neatness, jumping forward thousands of years. The Earth has frozen over, and an advanced race of mecha-beings (not aliens!) uncovers David. Through a process that is, admittedly, a little drawn out with explanations (including, essentially, two different types of narration), the mecha-beings, eager to learn from a robot who knew humans, agree to revive Monica for David. In this form, though, she’s more of a ghost; she can only stay revived for a single day. She and David spend a perfect day together before she drifts off to sleep, accompanied by her mecha son, essentially a dying ember of human life.

This is a lot of information to process, especially for a movie that seemed, for a moment, to be wrapping up with David under the sea. But David waiting for an eternity is an easy, if impressively bleak, way out of this strange story. Logical, to be sure: David follows his programming (if the Blue Fairy is not real and he is programmed to follow his dreams, he will spend his eternal childhood in its thrall), and it’s visually foreshadowed in an earlier shot of him lying at the bottom of a swimming pool. But it’s also programmatic. It’s easy to imagine an artificially intelligent screenwriting program absorbing the movie’s story details up to that point and spitting out that ending, or an artificially intelligent editor cutting the movie off before Kingsley’s narration pipes back in.

It’s understandable, then, that so many backseat directors would dutifully follow that program. This is not, however, Spielberg’s obligation. The film frequently adopts a robot’s point of view, but was not made by one. By sticking with David after thousands of years’ worth of waiting, Spielberg stays true to a robot perspective while also deepening David’s sadly close connection to human experience, a far trickier balancing act than having David dead-end at the bottom of the ocean. The actual and vastly superior ending of A.I. is more than a bleak kiss-off; it imagines humanity’s final moments of existence (if not literally, certainly metaphorically) as a dreamy day of wish fulfillment. David wants to be a “real boy,” and the scenes with the ghostly Monica turn his desperation and sadness from an imitation-human abstraction to a desire with an endpoint, which in this case coincides with, more or less, the end of humanity as we know it. As such, the sequence also turns the comforting idea of dying happily into something pretty ****ing sad. Spielberg hasn’t grafted a happy ending onto a dark movie; he’s teased the darkness out of what his main character wants. David’s artificial intelligence has given him the very human ability to obsess, and then to take solace in his own happiness above anything else. The movie isn’t necessarily condemning this form of humanity; like other great artificial-intelligence movies, it invites thought about what makes us human. The bleakness of the “correct” and predictable ending (tagged, incorrectly and often, as what Kubrick would have done) is still presented by the “incorrect” one, but with a lot more tonal discomfort (aided by the pseudo-romantic overtones of David’s day with his mother—he knows how she likes her coffee!) and accompanying complexity.

“David, you are the enduring memory of the human race, the most lasting proof of their genius. We only want for your happiness, David. You’ve had so little of that."  :o :(

• Like 4

I enjoyed the hell out of Venom. Not sure how they were going to pull off the PG-13 rating since Venom is literally the most gruesome, violent villain that marvel made but they did somehow. Hardy is just a great actor, I’ll see any movie that guy is in. 

2 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Agreed @Chew.  A.I. Is a big, beautiful mess.

And I love it.

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Yep, love AI. Might be the first movie that made me cry as like a 12yr old. 

Bring it in, fellas.

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

What is different about this one or is there anything that sets it apart? 

It's been ages since I saw the original cartoon; so I can't say.   

Just updated with a more modern feel. Modern music.  It's by the same people behind Despicable Me and The Secret Life Pets.  It's a 90 minute movie vs. the original 25 minute cartoon.  Max the Dog steals the show.

• Like 1

I watched The Predator.  Holy crap it's bad.  I lack the writing ability to properly communicate to you just how stupid this movie is, but I'll try.  Imagine if you took Predator 2, the one with Danny Glover... and vomited the internet onto it.  SPOILERS.  There's a friendly Predator dog, a warning about global warming, the amazing unstoppable STEM woman, a new super predator that talks to the humans, mental illness, a bloody bromance, and an autistic boy (that's bulled, of course).  The super Predator identifies the autistic savant child as the true hunter among the humans, and the one he will claim as his prize.  That's right, the galaxy's big game hunters got bigger and badder and are now after our autistic children.  There's also a Iron Man style Predator suit gifted to the humans for no reason, that's never used, just thrown in at the end to eat up the remainder of their fx budget.

If we ever start sacrificing people to placate the gods again, the writers of this movie should be among the first tossed into the volcano. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

BlacKKKlansman, I give it a solid B.

John David Washington was great, so was Adam Driver.  Like most movies, could have done without the love story but I get why it's there.  Topher Grace as David Duke was fantastic, too.  Having him work in a bit about "making America great again" was a genius move.

Great blend of being serious, moving and ****ing hysterical, I love movies that can do that.  Spike lost me a little bit at the end with the heavy handed footage of Charlottesville, Trump and then the image of the flag upside down.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Last week I saw "The Girl in the Spider Web", the latest Dragon Tattoo movie. Claire Foy plays the title role this time.  I liked the movie.  It's been so long, I don't remember the first one; so I can't compare.  I thought Claire did a good job.  Liked who the villian was in this movie.   I'll give it a B-.

I saw "Ralph Breaks the Internet" today.  It gets an A.  The sequel is better than the orignal cartoon in my mind. Lots of nods to other Disney/Pixar cartoons.

Next up for me are Creed II and The Front Runner, where Hugh Jackman plays Gary Hart.   The woodbe Presidential candidate brought down by an affair.

Edited by Rdskns2000
  • Like 1

Skyscraper was trash.  Basura.  Basically a Die Hard reboot. I love Dwayne Johnson, and I dont blame him for cashing in on his name when doing these horrible movies like Skyscraper and Rampage.  But it's kind of tarnishing his reputation.  The Rock is literally the #1 actor on earth right now with the money he's made in 2017 and 2018 combined.  He's to the point now where he can say no to a role.  His "Doom" days are long behind him.

Peppermint.  How did Jennifer Garner's agent allow her to sign on to this project? Shes way too talented for such an embarrassment.  It was SO bad.  Jesus.

The Hate U Give.  This was tough to watch.  Based loosely on a true story, a young girl is in the car with her 17 year old boyfriend when he is shot and killed by police. The movie follows the girl after the shooting as she tries to cope with the loss and the PTSD. Incredibly depressing, but very good movie.

Columbus.  Wow.  This may be my "snobby hipster pick" of the year.  Cho and Kogonada delivered a masterpiece.

The architecture is just as much a part of the movie as the characters are.  One of the best films I've seen this year.  I now want to visit Columbus, Ohio some day.

Edited by Chew
  • Like 2

"The Ballad of Buster Scruggs" on Netflix

Joel and Ethan Coen, so you know it's going to be interesting, and it is.

It's several small short stories crammed into one movie.. some are better than others, and most are interesting.

the first one is 'the Ballad".. and it is a hoot.  The death of Mr Krabbs..  er.. Clancy Brown is one of the best i've seen in the movies in a good while.

The story of James Franco the bank robber is good, and features Stephen Root... one of the best character actors there is.. and he's outstanding again, albeit in a short appearance.

I really enjoyed the story of the prospector (starring Tom waits)..  because it's not so much a story,, jut a little slice of a story.

If you enjoy the Coens' sense of magic and impeccable dialogue, you will love it. It sort of drags in a couple of spots, but the next bit of movie making wonder is just around the bend.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Outlaw King - 8/10 - It started out kinda meh but then I liked where it went and it had some great battle scenes.  I really enjoyed the last one.  I also liked the small tie ins to Braveheart.  It's nowhere near the level of Braveheart and you can tell the budget wasn't quite the highest, but it was still a pretty decent  flick.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2018 at 1:33 AM, Rdskns2000 said:

Recently saw "Johnny English Strikes Again" and it gets a B.   

I saw "Bohemian Rhapsody" yesterday and it gets a B. Rami Malek was perfect as Freddie Mercury. He will be at least nominated for an Oscar, for his portrayal.  He was that good. You believed he was Freddie.  

Hide contents

Love the ending scene, they recreated the Live Aid performance for 3-4 songs.

Saw “Bohemian Rhapsody” a couple days ago, and, as you say 2000, Malik’s performance is Oscar nomination worthy. He really gets to the core of what Mercury was, a flamboyant and gay man who just wanted to perform for the world, and have people love him, but without a real clue as to how to garner true love and friendship. Being a huge Queen fan (seen them live 3 times) the story is completely legit, also, Brian May and Rodger Taylor were executive producers, which obviously helps the authenticity.

Also, the guy who plays Brian May is a dead ringer. Thoroughly enjoyed it, and not afraid to shed a tear at what, ultimately, is a bit of a tragic story.