Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

16 hours ago, purbeast said:

Outlaw King - 8/10 - It started out kinda meh but then I liked where it went and it had some great battle scenes.  I really enjoyed the last one.  I also liked the small tie ins to Braveheart.  It's nowhere near the level of Braveheart and you can tell the budget wasn't quite the highest, but it was still a pretty decent  flick.

I really enjoyed it.  I thought it was a better movie than Braveheart TBH.  Better cinematography and much more realism in the action set pieces.  They opted for realism over heart/stylization and I appreciated that.  They gave a broader and more realistic portrayal of the political reality of the time.

Plus I always love super long single take scenes like the first scene of the movie.  It's a muscle flex.  It puts you right there in the pavillion with the Scottish lords and Edward Longshanks.

Plus I love the actors.  Stephen Dillane and Aaron Taylor Johnson make everything they appear in better and Chris Pine is one of the best leading men in the business.

On 11/10/2018 at 9:57 AM, Spaceman Spiff said:

Spike lost me a little bit at the end with the heavy handed footage of Charlottesville, Trump and then the image of the flag upside down.  

I think he showed it to say this is still America in 2018. 

saw Widows last week. I think the plot was kind of meh, but the acting was top notch. I think Kaluuya is going to win an Oscar for his performance and it was really a movie about political institutions being corrupt in cities, masked as a heist movie. It was like The Wire. And Steve McQueen's direction and camera work was amazing.

This weekend saw Bohemian Rhapsody. Honestly, the movie sucked. I was completely bored by it outside of the music. I know Queen, and Freddie Mercury, were campy but I needed some edge. Was too goofy for me although the acting was good.

Also saw A Star is Born. Great film.

20 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I think he showed it to say this is still America in 2018. 

saw Widows last week. I think the plot was kind of meh, but the acting was top notch. I think Kaluuya is going to win an Oscar for his performance and it was really a movie about political institutions being corrupt in cities, masked as a heist movie. It was like The Wire. And Steve McQueen's direction and camera work was amazing.

This weekend saw Bohemian Rhapsody. Honestly, the movie sucked. I was completely bored by it outside of the music. I know Queen, and Freddie Mercury, were campy but I needed some edge. Was too goofy for me although the acting was good.

Also saw A Star is Born. Great film.

Can't tell a story about a person who lead a decadent, X or at least R rated life (Freddie) and give it a PG-13 rating and make it accessible to everyone.  Should have given it to Oliver Stone so he could have done it like The Doors movie.  R rated Queen movie, I'm there.  I wanna see the record release party where they had midgets with trays of cocaine on their heads running around.  If you're gonna make a rock n' roll movie, don't sanitize it.

Really liked the new Mission Impossible, finally saw that.  I think it's the best one they've made yet.  B+.

Also watched "In the Realm of Perfection," a documentary about John McEnroe at the French Open in 1984.  Really good archival footage.  A must watch if you like tennis.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Really liked the new Mission Impossible, finally saw that.  I think it's the best one they've made yet.  B+.

I thought it was fun, too.  If nothing else, for Tom's commitment to his craft.

For the absolute love of god, he learned how to fly a helicopter weeks before the shoot so he could......fly his own helicopter.  And he had an ugly leg break on a scene jumping from one building to another while filming.  And the man is 56 years old. 

Epic action scenes, graphic violence, interesting story that tied a few previous MI movies together.  I loved it. 

• Like 2

Creed II.  Not gonna make an overly lengthy push on this one, it was about what I expected.  I do think that the film suffered a bit without Coogler in the director's chair.  It checked most of the boxes, it just felt a bit flat around the edges.  I would've liked a couple of surprises.

Jordan is certainly a star.  Stallone is always comfortable here.  Dolph is still a terrible actor.  The fight sequences rely more on camera movement and less on finesse/art which is pretty standard these days.  I do long for the days of Raging Bull choreography, but I digress.  Sound effects are a bit over the top.  When somebody gets hit, it sounds like I'm playing a game of Tekken with the sound turned all the way up.

This movie is worth the price of admission, but maybe not worth an ovation.  I enjoyed it, just always hoping for a little more from a franchise that has given film fans so much to cheer for over the years. 3/4.

15 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Jordan is certainly a star.  Stallone is always comfortable here.  Dolph is still a terrible actor.  The fight sequences rely more on camera movement and less on finesse/art which is pretty standard these days.  I do long for the days of Raging Bull choreography, but I digress.  Sound effects are a bit over the top.  When somebody gets hit, it sounds like I'm playing a game of Tekken with the sound turned all the way up.

I haven't sat down with old movies yet to see if I'm just noticing it more or if they're getting carried away with this stuff.  Every fight sequence seems to take place in earthquakes, or aboard the a federation star ship that's under fire, and everything makes an absurd amount of noise.  Physical blows are like you describe, very video game like, but weapons issue their own absurd sounds.  Especially guns which issue strange clicks whenever someone picks them up or points them aggressively. 

10 hours ago, Destino said:

I haven't sat down with old movies yet to see if I'm just noticing it more or if they're getting carried away with this stuff.  Every fight sequence seems to take place in earthquakes, or aboard the a federation star ship that's under fire, and everything makes an absurd amount of noise.  Physical blows are like you describe, very video game like, but weapons issue their own absurd sounds.  Especially gun which issue strange clicks whenever someone picks them up or points them aggressively. 

I've noticed that one too. A guy picks a gun up off the floor or pulls one out and points it at another person and it sounds like someone else ****ed a pistol off camera. I'd be looking at the gun like "the **** was that?"

And yeah in general I've seen that previous @AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy comment about fight sequences as well. They rely on really fast editing and changes in camera angles. It just makes me dizzy and looks uninteresting. I love watching well choreographed long takes of action; it seems to be a dying art. One of the best I've ever seen was the war/building siege in Children of Men when the main character was trying to get in and out of a building to rescue someone. IIRC it was all ONE long several minute take that followed the character and it was amazing.

But that sort of stuff takes dedication to a craft and lots of time and planning and why do all that **** when you can just pay a guy to take a bunch of random shots, scramble them up, and edit them together at the end to give the illusion of something interesting while you snort coke off of a hooker's ass?

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

Had some free previews of the non-HBO movie channels over Thanksgiving weekend, and caught a few that I hadn't seen. I really liked Red Sparrow for a movie that I thought would be good, but a huge surprise to me was Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle. I just assumed it was probably a pretty bad movie. It was actually decent, and had some really funny parts. I originally turned it on as background noise while I was doing some chores, but ended up actually watching and enjoying it.

• Like 1

I like Jumanji as well, and I was entirely prepared to hate it.  Rock and Kevin Hart work well together.  BTW I saw on IMDB that Rock is rumored to be playing the part of Jack Burton in a Big Trouble in Little China remake.  I'm not sure I want to see that movie remade in the era of shaky cameras and relentless noise, but I wouldn't mind seeing Dwayne Johnson in that role. 

I finally got around to watching Venom.  I liked it.  It's not really the Venom from the comics, and it really never could be without Spiderman, but they did the anti-hero story line justice.  There is one enormous plot hole that bugged me though, specifically how it's possible Brock isn't in jail or on the run at the end.  He took out a lot of cops in this movie and they definitely saw Eddie Brock.  

I'd be onboard with a Venom romantic comedy about Brock and Anne trying to make it work despite the Venom symbiote makes bizarre demands about things it wants to do and considers fun.  Just to switch things up.  He'd still have to eat bad guys and do cool CGI stuff, but a full on rom-com with a marvel character as weird as Venom would be an interesting experiment. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Destino said:

.  BTW I saw on IMDB that Rock is rumored to be playing the part of Jack Burton in a Big Trouble in Little China remake.  I'm not sure I want to see that movie remade in the era of shaky cameras and relentless noise, but I wouldn't mind seeing Dwayne Johnson in that role. 

Aw man, I could totally be down for that.  Rock has become just good enough of an actor to make it work in movies like Jumangi, Central Intelligence, Baywatch, etc.  And because Dwayne is just so cool, even his bad movies are usually fun. 

It just got pushed back 8 months a few weeks ago, but I bet you Jungle Cruise with Dwayne and Emily Blunt is going to be awesome. 

Creed II.  Agree with the previous takes in terms of the camerawork for the fight scenes.  I think they're attempting to show people how fast the sport is.  There was a .5 second shot where it was a first person view from Creed looking at Drago throwing punches in the ring and it was kinda cool but they switched away from it too fast for it to really register.  

It's formulaic as ****.  I mean, if you've seen any/all Rocky movies, nothing is a surprise here.  The over the top training segments are cool... except for the one where Creed is under water shadow boxing thing.  It's an homage to Muhammad Ali which felt forced and contrived.

c1076-muhammadaliunderwatertrainingmetho

And it was a hoax.  Ali didn't train under water, it's silly.  

That said, I really liked it.  I like Michael B. Jordan a lot, Stallone as old man Rocky is great.  Phylicia Rashad doesn't have a lot of lines but her scenes are powerful and I'm glad they're not making Tessa Thompson's character the wet blanket that Adrian was in the original movies.  @AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy is right, Dolph is still a bad actor but I think he works well here, he doesn't have to have a lot of range.  Same with Brigitte Nielsen.  Them playing emotionless single syllable Russians is good for them.

I'm glad I saw it, solid B.  

22 hours ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Saw Three Billboards outside Ebbing Mississippi

9/10

Acting was phenomenal, well written.

Great movie, didn't expect it to be as hilarious as it was at times.  

• Like 1

On 11/29/2018 at 2:04 AM, Destino said:

BTW I saw on IMDB that Rock is rumored to be playing the part of Jack Burton in a Big Trouble in Little China remake.  I'm not sure I want to see that movie remade in the era of shaky cameras and relentless noise, but I wouldn't mind seeing Dwayne Johnson in that role. 

The Big Trouble Little China thing has been rumored for a while.  Last I heard they're still trying to do it, however it won't be a remake and The Rock won't be playing Jack Burton.  It will be a continuation of the story with the The Rock playing a new character and it opens it up for Russell to come back as Jack Burton. 

I'm not sure how I feel about it.  I love the original and it's weirdness fit the time period it came out in.  80s movies have a certain charm to them that's hard to replicate in remakes.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, drowland said:

I'm not sure how I feel about it.  I love the original and it's weirdness fit the time period it came out in.  80s movies have a certain charm to them that's hard to replicate in remakes.  

Quoted for truth. 

On 11/9/2018 at 9:07 PM, Rdskns2000 said:

Saw "The Grinch" today. A faithful retelling of that classic story.  I'll give it a solid B.

I saw it recently. I didn't like it. Thought it was boring.

This Grinch was lame. He had no bite. He seemed more like a grumpy "get off my lawn" old man than a sinister character.

You can't help but compare it to the 1966 cartoon gem that was done by the legendary Chuck Jones and was narrated and voiced by the equally legendary Boris Karloff.

That 1966 cartoon is still the gold standard because it was very well done, and it was the perfect length for such a short book. The movie is an hour of padding added to a short story.

Not to mention the 1966 version had that twisted song sung to perfection by Thurl Ravenscroft.

Saw "The Front Runner" Thursday.  It was about Gary Hart's implosion from front runner to dropping out as a candidate because of the Donna Rice affair.

I'll give the movie a B.  Hugh Jackman was Gary.

I was a freshmen in college when that happened back in 1987.  Hard to believe that just 4 years later, a serial adulterer would get elected President.  Of course now, a serial adulterer and alleged sexual assaulter is president.

Poor Gary, the timing was all wrong for him.

• Like 1

Blindspotting.  Great flick, I was pleasantly surprised.  Filmed entirely on location in East Oakland, this joint is   half light-hearted hood movie, half serious drama about gentrification and a convicted felon with 3 days left on probation.  93% on rotten with 100% certified fresh by top critics.  Solid performances all around. l laughed out loud a lot. Highly recommend.

• Like 2

Saw Bohemian Rhapsody...not gonna grade it lol. It's entertaining but it's also obviously a less-than-gritty look at the band's career with Mercury. Rami Malek was really good, though, and there were more than enough moments in there where I saw Mercury and not Malek. The ending was damn good, though, on a lot of fronts.

Edited by Califan007

3 hours ago, Chew said:

Blindspotting.  Great flick, I was pleasantly surprised.  Filmed entirely on location in East Oakland, this joint is   half light-hearted hood movie, half serious drama about gentrification and a convicted felon with 3 days left on probation.  93% on rotten with 100% certified fresh by top critics.  Solid performances all around. l laughed out loud a lot. Highly recommend.

Spoiler

When they go to the party and the guy from Oregon has the same tattoo, couldn't stop laughing. 

• Haha 1

Shooter.  Mark Wahlberg.  I've seen it a billion and one times.  A+++++++

Names like Bob Lee Swagger and Nick Memphis?  That scene with Levon Helm as the cranky old gun genius?  I could watch that on loop all day.  Danny Glover with his voice that's like gravel getting all holier than thou at the end?  The gorgeous Kate Mara and her beautiful 34c's?  The creepy as hell Elias Koteas?    Shooting and explosions?  It doesn't get better than this!  

"Still got the shovel!!"   :rofl89::rofl89::rofl89:

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Thanks 1