Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So, I'm Going To Buy A Gun And I'm A N00b.

Hubbs

OK so I just put $100 down on a used Ruger P89 (selling for $299) and I'm wondering if I should have looked around some more.

I'm a N00b with just a little shooting experience and I wanted a 9mm for home defense and occasional range use. I wanted a 9mm for the balance of good stopping power for relatively cheap ,easily available ammo. I was considering a S&W Sigma but I've heard some negative things about build quality and accuracy with it's hard trigger pull, and that it's not a great gun to just go out and shoot. The Ruger is heavier and once ****ed, has a light pull. Supposedly a very accurate, very reliable, solid gun but it has no rail or modern features and it's a full sized weapon compared to modern compact 9s.

So what do you think? Good choice? From research on line and a few visits to some gun stores it seemed to be a nice gun for the price. Am I over paying?

300px-Ruger_P89_1.png

mike

The P89 is probably one of the most durable designs out there. If they were priced at $2000 all the gun dorks would say its one of the best guns ever designed

A coworker of mine had a p89 that had roughly 30000 rounds on it.... Dam thing rattled audibly and looked like it had been drug behind a truck. Still grouped nicely at 25 yards and never jammed.

One thing though, I thought the p89 was discontinued in favor of the p90? This was back in the 90s... So who knows maybe they brought it back

Double action with de-**** is nice for home defense. And anyone who spouts that nonsense about 9 mm stopping power is a full-on dumbass. Offer to shoot them and see if it slows them up

As for price that doesn't seem bad, depends on condition I guess

[/color]

mike

The P89 is probably one of the most durable designs out there. If they were priced at $2000 all the gun dorks would say its one of the best guns ever designed

A coworker of mine had a p89 that had roughly 30000 rounds on it.... Dam thing rattled audibly and looked like it had been drug behind a truck. Still grouped nicely at 25 yards and never jammed.

One thing though, I thought the p89 was discontinued in favor of the p90? This was back in the 90s... So who knows maybe they brought it back

Double action with de-**** is nice for home defense. And anyone who spouts that nonsense about 9 mm stopping power is a full-on dumbass. Offer to shoot them and see if it slows them up

As for price that doesn't seem bad, depends on condition I guess

Thanks for the input.

Yeah it was discontinued for a newer "tactical" model. LOL. It seems to be in good condition and the gun store guarantees it so...

And as for stopping power, I'm with you. If the first round doesn't do the trick, there are 14 more in the clip. :-)

OK so I just put $100 down on a used Ruger P89 (selling for $299) and I'm wondering if I should have looked around some more.

I'm a N00b with just a little shooting experience and I wanted a 9mm for home defense and occasional range use. I wanted a 9mm for the balance of good stopping power for relatively cheap ,easily available ammo. I was considering a S&W Sigma but I've heard some negative things about build quality and accuracy with it's hard trigger pull, and that it's not a great gun to just go out and shoot. The Ruger is heavier and once ****ed, has a light pull. Supposedly a very accurate, very reliable, solid gun but it has no rail or modern features and it's a full sized weapon compared to modern compact 9s.

So what do you think? Good choice? From research on line and a few visits to some gun stores it seemed to be a nice gun for the price. Am I over paying?

I agree with zoony, the p89 is a great design. Ruger is well known for rugged and reliable firearms. Nothing wrong with the 9mm either... shot placement and the speed of your follow up shots is far more important than caliber when it comes to putting down a bad guy.

Mossberg 500 pistol grip with fore grip, for home protection its best because its perfect for close range. Just load it with buck shots. What I would do is load the first bullet as a buck shot and the rest load slugs. So the first shot is a "warning" so to speak.

19429_20100403235349_1.jpg

Can't go wrong. Strait military. $189 at Walmart. "boom!"

---------- Post added February-3rd-2012 at 10:39 PM ----------

I'm getting Wendy an AK-47 this summer. It'll be cool when I'm out of the country, plus I can get em for like $400 at any army/navy store.

Mossberg 500 pistol grip with fore grip, for home protection its best because its perfect for close range. Just load it with buck shots. What I would do is load the first bullet as a buck shot and the rest load slugs. So the first shot is a "warning" so to speak.

(snip tacti-cool pic)

Inside a home, buckshot would be just as lethal as slugs. Even BIRDshot could be lethal inside a room.

And slugs could penetrate sheetrock walls far better than buckshot could.

So I went to the range today and tried out the S&W M&P9 and absolutely loved it. It has basically no recoil, has a nice trigger pull, and feels great. I may end up buying the thing if I go back, try it again, and still love it.

S&W M&Ps are solid. I have the full sized 9mm and the compact 40 and I have yet to have a single failure of any kind what-so-ever from either. I have at least 1000 rounds through each (which isn't a TON but still enough to know these things are solid). My friend just bought an H&K P30 ($850) 9mm and we had about 15 failures in the first 100 rounds. Now, the P30 is a great gun and some say it needs to be broken in with a few hundred rounds with 124 grain ammo...but still, the M&P eats anything I feed it every single time.

---------- Post added February-7th-2012 at 10:46 AM ----------

very nice. can't go wrong with a glock!!

Except for the grip! Lol...love/hate thing...I just happen to not be able to grip it well :(

---------- Post added February-7th-2012 at 10:52 AM ----------

$189 for a mossberg 500 at walmart? o rly?

I just picked one of these up a couple of weeks ago...but I paid a lot more than $189! This is now my primary HD gun.

Can't go wrong. Strait military. $189 at Walmart. "boom!"

Dude! That's exactly what I paid for mine back in 2004. Mossubrg maverick 88 500. Pistol grip. Wal-Mart FTW! buckshots :)

it's loaded, safety off, leaning up against my wall between the bed and the dresser. and my wife has her Springfield XD 9 in her top dresser drawer.

We both wish a mother ****er WOULD. :)

---------- Post added February-7th-2012 at 09:01 AM ----------

Oh, and if we're showing off guns, here's what I had for a few years back in NC.

SMG AR15 with a 100 round drum. Boy oh boy was that thing fun at the gun range. :beavisnbutthead:

4550280106_large.jpg

4550280110_large.jpg

Did Hubbs get a gun yet?

And does anyone know if they're going to be a doing a Gen 4 version of the Glock 20?

I would suspect all glock models will have Gen 4 available as they start phasing the gen 3's out. Its just a matter of time, and it might be a while. 10mm is sweet but too expensive of a round for me to shoot all the time

So I went to the range today and tried out the S&W M&P9 and absolutely loved it. It has basically no recoil, has a nice trigger pull, and feels great. I may end up buying the thing if I go back, try it again, and still love it.

Tried one of these today, the pro version anyways which has a longer barrel. I really liked it, the trigger was the best part. Very crisp.

Also shot a bunch of 22's through my Bersa today. I've put about 1250 rounds through it for under 80 bucks. Zombies hate it.

11j5d74.png

Archived