Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So, I'm Going To Buy A Gun And I'm A N00b.

Hubbs

Great thread. Tons of info in here. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere in this thread, but re: the Mossberg 500 - my roommate owns one and is always complaining about jamming issues. Could just be a lemon...

edit: didn't realize nobody posted in this thread since Friday. Just read the whole thing - seemed current to me :ols:

Great thread. Tons of info in here. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere in this thread, but re: the Mossberg 500 - my roommate owns one and is always complaining about jamming issues. Could just be a lemon...

edit: didn't realize nobody posted in this thread since Friday. Just read the whole thing - seemed current to me :ols:

He has to have a lemon or having something wrong with it. Mosberg 500 is a well respected shotgun. Variants of it are used by police and militaries around the world.

Now THAT was fun!

I just got back from my first real range time with my p89. Let me tell you, it is one sweet shooting gun. The hardest thing about it is forcing myself to slow down because the gun drops right down on target so nicely after each shot. My groupings seem to have a left hand bias that I'm going to have to work on but all in all, I think it was a pretty good start. In the interest of truth I have to admit that my second target (4 small bulls eyes) was not as good as the first. I was starting to get tired and loosing patience. It's surprising how tiring it is to hold the gun that still for so long. But that fist sucker I pretty much tore up with 60 rounds. :D

first60.jpg

He has to have a lemon or having something wrong with it. Mosberg 500 is a well respected shotgun. Variants of it are used by police and militaries around the world.

Probably Winchester shells, but not cleaning or ejector issue is possible....1st thing is check cleaning,then try different brand ammo

but yep ,the Moss is a good gun

:

I've got about 100 slugs through my Mossburg 500 and never had a single problem. :)

Now THAT was fun!

I just got back from my first real range time with my p89. Let me tell you, it is one sweet shooting gun. The hardest thing about it is forcing myself to slow down because the gun drops right down on target so nicely after each shot. My groupings seem to have a left hand bias that I'm going to have to work on but all in all, I think it was a pretty good start. In the interest of truth I have to admit that my second target (4 small bulls eyes) was not as good as the first. I was starting to get tired and loosing patience. It's surprising how tiring it is to hold the gun that still for so long. But that fist sucker I pretty much tore up with 60 rounds. :D

Not bad... what was the distance?

Hubbs, I really like you as a poster, but if something goes wrong with your gun and you get shot, the irony of that happening after posting a thread about wanting a gun, but being a noob will not be lost on me.

Erm... wouldn't that be true about anyone who ever posts a thread about being new to, well, anything at all, only for something to go wrong?

I guess I'm just a little confused as to how that would even qualify as ironic. To me, it would seem to be the opposite. If I created a thread called "I totally kick ass with guns and happen to be the best shooter in the world, ****es" only for something to go horribly wrong the next time I went to a range, that would be ironic. But anyone who ever develops a new interest in anything will, by definition, be new to that thing. So I don't really understand your post.

Alanis mis- defined the term for a generation

Maybe, but I think that might be giving her too much credit. I hear people of all ages misuse the word to the point that Merriam Webster is probably going to have to redefine it, just like they did with "figuratively".

I've got about 100 slugs through my Mossburg 500 and never had a single problem. :)

Yeah, I think he must have had a lemon. I, too, have about 100 slugs through my 500, along with 500 various others loads and not a single problem...besides the bruises.

Yeah, I think he must have had a lemon. I, too, have about 100 slugs through my 500, along with 500 various others loads and not a single problem...besides the bruises.

Nice. I love my 500. It's so much fun :)

And there's probably no better sound to make an intruder leave your house then the pumping of a shotgun. :cool:

Great day out today, a buddy's church hosted a wild game lunch and skeet shoot. I took Ethan with his new (to him) youth model single shot 20 gauge and I took my Moss 500. He did really well, started on stationary targets and then quickly moved on to the skeet he missed the first and nailed his second, at one point he hit three in a row, he actually shot through 75 shells and wanted to finish the case off. We had a great time, at one point there were five of us on the line competing against each other over single clays which was a blast!!! I went through 75 shells today too. One of the guys even broke out his AR-15, man that took me back to my days of eating dirt and that rifle felt like as comfortable as it did then.

Ate roasted dove stuffed with cream cheese wrapped in bacon, and some deer meat chili and some deer venison steaks! Oh man oh man what an awesome day!!

• 1 month later...

Just got a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm. Its allot of fun.

There is a gun range down the road from my home and I have been blowing the hell out of those paper targets. Getting pretty good.. still need work.

Had so much fun I also bought a S&W MP22 rifle. Looks like the M4 but shoots 22LR ammo. Much cheaper to shoot - very easy to score hits.

I am not a hunter, just like to target shoot and take my frustrations out on tin cans or paper targets.

Met some serious dudes there - loaded up for WW3. Carrying around huge backpacks filled with AR-15's, AK's and a plethora of handguns. Crazy stuff.

Nice guys but there are a few that are kind of scary...

Archived