Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So, I'm Going To Buy A Gun And I'm A N00b.

Hubbs

very nice. can't go wrong with a glock!!

Except for the grip! Lol...love/hate thing...I just happen to not be able to grip it well :.

wshngtn1, you got a gen 4. they really changed the grips on this model and made them much better for people with smaller hands. i bought a g17 gen 4 and love the new grip

Definitely try the gen4 grip

• 2 weeks later...

Any lifetime NRA members out there willing to sponsor a new lifetime member?

NRA Lifetime Memberships $300 ($700 off)

Three possible ways to qualify:

1. Retired Veteran

2. Disabled Veteran

3. Be sponsored by a current lifetime member

Edit:

Got it! Thanks! And sorry for the minor hijack. I was attempting to focus the question and information to people interested in this thread, thinking that it would reduce the possibility of inviting political debate here.

Now back to pistols and rifles ...

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the Smith & Wesson M&P 9 full size with the ambi thumb safety last week. I took it to the range for the first time the other day and I love it. I put 400 rounds through it over two days and didn't have a single misfeed or any other problem. Unlike a LOT of other semiauto, the M&P 9 fires great right out of the box. I highly recommend this gun to anyone looking for a reliable, relatively low cost, and all around great semiauto. The wife likes it too, since she's about 110 lbs. and it's low recoil. I'll have to post some pics.

I don't know about glock sales being hurt, they are just so well reputed for making flawless, inexpensive hand guns.

That does sound like a good price. Usually gun stores over-price their guns by $100 vs buying on buds.

I got my glock 17 (9mm) for $399 brand new from a place in MD though

I picked up my Ruger P89 last Monday and already upgraded it with the Hogue rubber grips. What a difference from the stock grips. It just becomes part of your hand now.

I still haven't shot it. Been sick all week and had to postpone the NRA pistol class I was registered for today. Since I've only shot a 9 once, 30 years ago, I'm taking things slowly and carefully. Safety first and all that. But If it lives up to it's reputation, I think I made a good choice for a cheap first auto pistol at $300.

With the thought that simply buying the gun does not make one any less of a N00b, I figured I would share my progress towards being a responsible, safe gun owner:

Today I finally got to put some rounds through my gun in the only way that made sense to me. I took the NRA First Steps pistol course. It was a great class taught by a former police and FBI instructor. And although it really just covered the basics, I felt better shooting for the first time in 30 years under the eye of an expert. Plus it has the added benefit of fulfilling a requirement for a concealed carry permit when I take that next step. The course itself went over the functions of various revolvers and semi-autos, from operation to disassembly and cleaning. Other than learning how to properly clean a gun, most of it was review for me but I did learn one thing I don't like about Glocks - In order to disassemble it you have to pull the trigger. And on top of that, it is easy to leave a round in the gun after removing the magazine. Meaning you really have to be sure it's unloaded by first removing the mag and then operating the slide TWICE because it may look clear the first time but in reality you may have just chambered a round. The second action will clear it. I guess it's not that big of a deal once you are used to it, but if you have never broken down a Glock before, it could get someone hurt.

I also learned a few things about my gun (a used Ruger p89). Apparently I got a good deal because they valued it higher than I paid and it looks like mine has not seen a whole lot of use. Also, they had a p89 rental gun and I noticed the slide action was a lot easier than mine. I asked their gunsmith about it and he said he could do the same for mine for a very reasonable price. I'll probably eventually do it but I want to upgrade the sights first. I've already changed the stock grips out for rubber Houge ones and the gun fits much nicer in my hand.

Now for the fun part - Shooting! They provided a 22 auto, a 38 revolver and a 38 snub nose (to show the difference in recoil with the smaller gun) and let me shoot my own gun as the full sized auto. They were all fun and they all went bang but I really liked shooting my own gun the most so I guess I made a good choice. Recoil was minimal and the trigger is smooth. The first shot is double action unless you **** it and is a little bit of a hard pull but smooth. Single action is a light short pull that breaks smooth. Very easy to keep on target. I didn't get to shoot a lot. That will be for another day when I'm feeling better (still recovering from Pneumonia. I;m feeling weak and it was a long class) but I had a lot of fun, learned a few things, and know enough to feel that I made a good choice for a first semi-auto.

As for my shooting, I did well other than shooting a little fast. The instructor kept telling me to slow down and take my time aiming, But I still put 18 of 20 rounds on center mass and only two of my fast shots went wide to what would likely be an arm. My one issue was that although I had a pretty tight grouping, I seemed to be hitting down and to the left. Not sure if it was me or the sights are off but I have 100 rounds of target ammo to find out more the next time I go to the range.

Anyway - that's my story. Maybe some of you other N00bs will share your continuing experiences as well. I would love to hear them.

I'm glad to hear you took a course Mad Mike. Far too few people take the time to do so.

I'm used to shooting rifles, but somewhat of a noob with handguns. So, when I bought a M&P9 a few weeks ago, I took a class, read the manual cover to cover, and tried to do as much online research as possible. I've put about 1,000 rounds through the weapon and have yet to deal with a stovepipe, misfeed, etc. The thing is fantastic. The only problem is ammo is expensive as hell. It costs about $0.20-$0.25 per round (Winchester 9mm, 115 grain), so if you go to a range and put 200 rounds through it, you've just spent $40-$45 (plus the $15 in range and "outside ammo" fees). It's almost as expensive as my golf habit.

I'm thinking about throwing down $400 to buy an M&P 15-22, which fires .22LR (at about $0.05 per round), to bring the cost of my plinking habit down a bit. The alternative is to buy a AR and .22LR conversion kit.

I'm glad to hear you took a course Mad Mike. Far too few people take the time to do so.

I'm used to shooting rifles, but somewhat of a noob with handguns. So, when I bought a M&P9 a few weeks ago, I took a class, read the manual cover to cover, and tried to do as much online research as possible. I've put about 1,000 rounds through the weapon and have yet to deal with a stovepipe, misfeed, etc. The thing is fantastic. The only problem is ammo is expensive as hell. It costs about $0.20-$0.25 per round (Winchester 9mm, 115 grain), so if you go to a range and put 200 rounds through it, you've just spent $40-$45 (plus the $15 in range and "outside ammo" fees). It's almost as expensive as my golf habit.

I'm thinking about throwing down $400 to buy an M&P 15-22, which fires .22LR (at about $0.05 per round), to bring the cost of my plinking habit down a bit. The alternative is to buy a AR and .22LR conversion kit.

I hear ya on the ammo cost. That and availability were my primary reasons for going 9mm but it's still expensive and I'm on a "tight* budget. The local range has a 22 AR for rent and I'm going to have to check it out one day. :-)

I hear ya on the ammo cost. That and availability were my primary reasons for going 9mm but it's still expensive and I'm on a "tight* budget. The local range has a 22 AR for rent and I'm going to have to check it out one day. :-)

My guess is they have a M&P 15-22. The latest models are supposedly quite reliable, but earlier models (or newer ones with crappy mags or ones that haven't been cleaned) can jam up quite a bit. So, just keep that in mind if you decide to fire the AR in .22LR.

In any case, the M&P 15-22 is really fun to shoot because you don't need to worry about cost. At less than a nickel per round, each clip is only going to run you about $1. So, you can likely get in a full hour of shooting for $35 ($15 for the gun, $10 for the lane, $10 for about 250 rounds of ammo). That amount of range time and ammo would probably run you over $100 if you were using your 9mm.

FWIW, my wife of all people told me to get the M&P 15 (5.56) and conversion kit on the theory "if you get the .22, you're just going to go out and buy the M&P 15 a year from now, so you might as well get the M&P15 and the .22 conversion kit." :ols:

for the man who has everything....the lazy way to double tap

http://www.arsenalfirearms.com/products/af-2011-a1-double-barrel-pistol

AF2011-a1 double barrel PiStol

The AF2011-A1 Double Barrel Pistol comes actually as the very first industrial double barrel semiautomatic pistol of all times. The original idea came about ten years back to Swiss armourer Vivian Mueller, who at the time experienced cutting and welding together multiple parts of the famous Sig P210: the result was a long slide, double barrel 9mm, highly decorated collector piece, which indeed shot very well. Our idea took the challenge further: to commemorate the legendary Colt 1911-A1 in the Centenary by making a true industrial market-ready double barrel .45 caliber pistol.

:ols: That grip is huuuge. Talk about being uncomfortable to shoot.

Still better than a Glock :ols:

In all seriousness that pistol looks like a toy for someone with too much money.

I can't imagine it being reliable...1 slide + 2 firing mechanisms = timing issues.

Can you imagine trying to clear a malfunction in that thing?:thud:

In all seriousness that pistol looks like a toy for someone with too much money.

I can't imagine it being reliable...1 slide + 2 firing mechanisms = timing issues.

:ols: I can just imagine a 2 barrel simultaneous double feed. :beavisnbutthead:

They claim it is both reliable and accurate....course they are trying to sell them

wonder what the recoil is like on that?....firing one is on my bucket list

Archived