Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So, I'm Going To Buy A Gun And I'm A N00b.

Hubbs

for the man who has everything....the lazy way to double tap

AF2011-a1 double barrel PiStol.

An AFSF officer I know out at JBLM has one ordered and I'm gonna make him let me shoot it. :)

But double tap is so 5 years ago. Triple tap is wass happenin' now. As an old drummer, I'm stuck on doubles. :ols:

So, I went ahead and picked up the M&P 15-22 (fires the .22LR) last night. It's a great little plinking gun. At $440 for the rifle and a nickel a round (CCI mini-mag), it will probably pay for itself in a few months (by way of much cheaper ammo). I highly recommend it. I've been renting it at the range for some time now and simply love it. It was between this and a Marlin plinker, and the guys at the shop and my rental time sold me on this.

Here's a pic (not mine, but mine is exactly like this one).

1522_1.JPG

---------- Post added March-16th-2012 at 12:44 PM ----------

Ya get two hits if ya are limited to milliseconds?

don't be a Debbie Downer ;)

You can't conceal that bad boy and, if you're using a Mossberg for home defense, you don't need two hits .... unless you're trying to shoot the corpse in half.

So out of curiosity, has anyone here been buying Winchester white box lately and having any trouble with it? I bought about 200 rounds of WWB for my Springfield Armory XDM .45 and I've been having a lot of trouble with it, to the extent that I'm getting between 2-3 failure to ejects every magazine. I took it to a gunsmith who broke it down completely and said they couldn't find anything wrong with it mechanically, but did mention that they have been getting more and more complaints lately about Winchester white box.

They recommended that I avoid it and I have noticed that my problems have been going way down, but I"m just wondering if my problems are isolated or not.

So out of curiosity, has anyone here been buying Winchester white box lately and having any trouble with it? I bought about 200 rounds of WWB for my Springfield Armory XDM .45 and I've been having a lot of trouble with it, to the extent that I'm getting between 2-3 failure to ejects every magazine. I took it to a gunsmith who broke it down completely and said they couldn't find anything wrong with it mechanically, but did mention that they have been getting more and more complaints lately about Winchester white box.

They recommended that I avoid it and I have noticed that my problems have been going way down, but I"m just wondering if my problems are isolated or not.

I would try another brand of ammo... i use Federal American Eagle for practice ammo. I have heard of people getting boxes of WWB ammo with no gunpowder at all!!! so it would not surprise me if they allowed some underpowered ammo get to market. If you continue to have issues with more than one brand of ammo i would give S.A. customer service a call.

Yeah, I'm planning on avoiding it from now on. While I was at the range I bought an overpriced box of Federal 50 count and I think I only had about 2 failure to ejects out of the box of 50, but I'm wondering if that was because I had also been shooting WWB in that session, and it was somehow impacting it. I brought it home and cleaned it thoroughly, and next time I go out I have 2 boxes of Remington so I'll see how that goes.

Thanks for the replies.

While I was at the range I bought an overpriced box of Federal 50 count and I think I only had about 2 failure to ejects out of the box of 50,

What is the exact nature of the malfunctions? Is the extractor slipping off the rim of the cartridge? are you getting stovepipe jams? The more information we have the easier it will be to narrow down the cause of the problem. The reason I ask is generally if you have failures with two different types of ammo the problem is either with the gun or the operator.

What is the exact nature of the malfunctions? Is the extractor slipping off the rim of the cartridge? are you getting stovepipe jams? The more information we have the easier it will be to narrow down the cause of the problem. The reason I ask is generally if you have failures with two different types of ammo the problem is either with the gun or the operator.

Honest question out of curiosity, as I have shot before but don't get to on a regular basis, what sort of operator errors would cause certain types of malfunctions?

Honest question out of curiosity, as I have shot before but don't get to on a regular basis, what sort of operator errors would cause certain types of malfunctions?

Limp-wristing... basically a weak grip allows the gun to recoil faster than the casing can clear the slide and gets caught between the barrel and slide. It is a common issue with new shooters.

---------- Post added March-17th-2012 at 07:54 PM ----------

Here is a video of a guy intentionally trying to cause FTE & FTF malfunctions by limp-wristing

Jh9JhCyFFxA

Ok, first of all screw you guys, I'm not limp wristing:ols:

As to the nature of the jam, I've taken a picture so I can try to show where it's getting caught up.

[ATTACH]46462[/ATTACH]

The nose of the round is getting caught where I've indicated with the red circle, right before that ramp that feeds it into the barrel. So now that I think about it, it's a failure to feed problem, rather than a failure to eject problem. Sorry for the confusion.

All it takes to clear the jam is pulling back slightly on the slide.

You don't seem to hold much favor for Glocks. Personally I am not all that into them either, but that is just preference; best pistol I've shot personally was a Sig P226 .40. In that video it seems like the Glocks have the issue more than others. Any specific reason why?

Ok, first of all screw you guys, I'm not limp wristing:ols:

As to the nature of the jam, I've taken a picture so I can try to show where it's getting caught up.

[ATTACH]46462[/ATTACH]

The nose of the round is getting caught where I've indicated with the red circle, right before that ramp that feeds it into the barrel.

All it takes to clear the jam is pulling back slightly on the slide.

Lol i wasn't trying to imply anything... just wanted to cover all bases.

Is it a unfired round that is getting jammed?

Lol i wasn't trying to imply anything... just wanted to cover all bases.

Is it a unfired round that is getting jammed?

Ha ha, no worries. I am wondering though if maybe my grip has something to do with it, as I do tend to have a slightly relaxed grip, although I've been shooting for years and I wouldn't describe it as limp wristed.

Yep, unfired round. I've never had a failure to eject, it's strictly failure to feed problems.

You don't seem to hold much favor for Glocks. Personally I am not all that into them either, but that is just preference; best pistol I've shot personally was a Sig P226 .40. In that video it seems like the Glocks have the issue more than others. Any specific reason why?

Glocks are going to have less problems than just about any gun out there if shot properly.

They were having problems because they were being negligently fired. I've never had a malfunction with either of my glocks and one of them is a 17 (the first model being shot in that video)

Archived