Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So, I'm Going To Buy A Gun And I'm A N00b.

Hubbs

I've been wanting to get around to buying a gun for a while now, and this is as good a time as any, especially given the fact that gun sales have been racing upward, thereby pushing prices upward as well. I'm primarily interested for self-defense, as I've already had to go through having my apartment robbed once before. I understand that this needs to come with a proper training when it comes to the details of how to handle a gun, and I want to go ahead with that as well. So, gun owners of ES (I'm looking at you, HH :pfft:), I'm asking for your advice:

What factors should I consider when determining which gun I should buy? (I'm ultimately interested in both a handgun and a shotgun, so I'd appreciate input regarding either.)

What should I know about guns before I buy?

What do I need to know about ammo?

Where's the best place to fire a few guns before I buy, and also to learn what I need to learn about using a gun? (I've already fired several and learned a few things at NRA headquarters in Fairfax, but that was through another organization and I imagine that doing it again would be rather expensive compared to other places.)

I live in Virginia. What legal steps should I make sure to take?

What else do you think I should know?

(Obviously I'm working on my own to find the answers to these questions, but I figure a thread wouldn't hurt.)

If you live in Virginia, just buy a used gun and you don't have to go through any background checks or paperwork, plus it's cheaper.

You are legaly allowed to open-carry without a permit, meaning gun must be in plain sight. To carry a concealed weapon, you need a permit.

You are not allowed to bring guns to anyplace alcohol is served.

For a first gun, just get a Glock.

are you willing to use it?

Are you wanting it simply for home defense?...if so a shotgun is all you really need

old faithful

http://personalsecurityzone.com/cgi-win/order/prodlist.exe/PSZ/?Template=ProdDetail.htm&ProductID=20995

Buy a gun you'll use for something other than just home defence, like hunting or target practice.

If you aren't going to use a gun for anything but self defence, some stickers for an alarm system even if you don't get an alarm system, and a dog, will serve you better.

Buy a gun you'll use for something other than just home defence, like hunting or target practice.

If you aren't going to use a gun for anything but self defence, some stickers for an alarm system even if you don't get an alarm system, and a dog, will serve you better.

I have a assortment, different tools for different projects

stickers and dogs too...though I don't put my faith in them.

ya wanna plink at targets,get a 22

If you live in Virginia, just buy a used gun and you don't have to go through any background checks or paperwork, plus it's cheaper.

You are legaly allowed to open-carry without a permit, meaning gun must be in plain sight. To carry a concealed weapon, you need a permit.

You are not allowed to bring guns to anyplace alcohol is served.

For a first gun, just get a Glock.

I've been told that Glocks don't have safeties. I don't like that.

are you willing to use it?
Like twa said, are you willing to use it?

Yes.

I'm primarily thinking of a situation in which a person decides that by the point an alarm or dogs let me know that he's around, he's already committed. Like the saying goes, better to have it and not need it....

then a shotgun is all ya need

Glocks are perfectly safe,unless the person handling it isn't

---------- Post added January-2nd-2012 at 02:23 PM ----------

(anyone committed enough to keep coming after hearing one racked is truly committed)

Personally, I'd go with a nice 12 ga shotgun, probably a Remington 870 for your home defense. It's customizable for later to "make it yours", affordable, easy to get ammo thats affordable too, and if you get a bug in your arse to do so, easy to make reloads. Nothing clears a hallway of intruders like a good old fashioned shotgun!

If you go handgun at all, start with a simple .357 revolver. No jams, easy to care for and shoot, plus you can always throw 38's in it for a cheaper target round.

Or a 12-guage.

A .22 isn't that bad for homedefence either, if you do go plinking with it. Better than a Glock you aren't used to shooting.

Or emulate these guys: :ols:

tacticool.jpg

600pxtremorswog.jpg

Why would you need a safety? Are you planning on carrying it?

I just bought a glock and a smith and wesson revolver.

My glock is being used at the gun range, at home it's in a gun safe unloaded.

If you can't handle a gun without a safety you probably shouldn't own a gun at all.

Personally, I'd go with a nice 12 ga shotgun, probably a Remington 870 for your home defense. It's customizable for later to "make it yours", affordable, easy to get ammo thats affordable too, and if you get a bug in your arse to do so, easy to make reloads. Nothing clears a hallway of intruders like a good old fashioned shotgun!

If you go handgun at all, start with a simple .357 revolver. No jams, easy to care for and shoot, plus you can always throw 38's in it for a cheaper target round.

This is the best advice, unless you shoot regurlarly clearings jam in a semi-auto is not natural. It has to be practiced. A revolver never lets you down.

For a first shotgun get a nice $250 Mossberg 12 gauge, it is good for home defense plus there are a lot of different things you can do with it, skeet shooting, hunting (turkey, duck, and lots of other birds, and smaller game animals). Plus the maintenance is easier with a shotgun.

For ammo with a 12 ga some "low brass" 7.5 or 8 load bird shot is a great multi-purpose ammo, it is great for skeet, cans or whatever, plus it also works well hunting birds, rabbits etc, and for home defense it is really what you want as accuracy isn't quite as critical as with a handgun. Plus, the shot doesn't have the same level of wall penetration as a handgun so there isn't the danger of hitting something on the other side. This is important for me since I have kids.

For a first shotgun get a nice $250 Mossberg 12 gauge, it is good for home defense plus there are a lot of different things you can do with it, skeet shooting, hunting (turkey, duck, and lots of other birds, and smaller game animals). Plus the maintenance is easier with a shotgun.

and Burglers tend to skidaddle even just hearing the action clear!

Believe me, my concern with safeties is rooted in my brain coming up with completely unrealistic scenarios. Maybe as I learn more I'll find that those things only happen in movies as long as you don't treat your gun like Plaxico Burress did, but for the moment I'm thinking that I'd rather have a safety than not. I know Glocks are super-reliable, but they can still misfire, right?

What do you personally find to be the pros and cons of a semi-automatic shotgun versus a pump action shotgun? And if you could, can you phrase your answer in terms of the number one concern when it comes to shotguns, the effectiveness of killing zombies? :silly:

Why would you need a safety? Are you planning on carrying it?

I just bought a glock and a smith and wesson revolver.

My glock is being used at the gun range, at home it's in a gun safe unloaded.

If you can't handle a gun without a safety you probably shouldn't own a gun at all.

The more that I think about it, you're right. I guess I'm thinking more about stories I've heard about that involved a terrible accident only after the owner of the gun did something very irresponsible.

This is the best advice, unless you shoot regurlarly clearings jam in a semi-auto is not natural. It has to be practiced. A revolver never lets you down.

I've heard this, but I've also heard that a revolver can in fact have a mechanical failure as well. Do you have an opinion on the reliability of different revolvers?

What would make you suggest that over the Remington SS suggested?

The Glock will NOT fire w/o pulling the trigger...period

it is the people that put their finger on it that are a danger

I like the Rem 870 myself, but the Moss is cheaper and function

any auto can jam, pumps and revolvers are more dependable

This is what we have. I guess it's useful for home defense, but primarily used for hunting and shooting clays before Thanksgiving dinner (a family tradition).

If you're concerned of home invasions/home robberies be clear on what constitutes self defense in your state. Here in PA, we just had a case in the news about that very thing. The standard or threshold for self defense is different in every state.

Hubbs, I think the safer bet for avoiding Jams would probably be a pump shotgun. Plus, as mentioned earlier, the sound of pumping the action scares the crap out of a would=be burgler.

I like the 870, but I also have a mossberg 500 pump that does the job well and it would be a little cheaper, though not a lot cheaper . I'd suggest trying to test out whatever you look at at a range to get a feel for it.

Join a range that has an assortment of guns for rent and find the one that is right for you. I took a gun safety course not long ago and this was the conclusion I came to. I was also able to fire a few guns and I already found out a few things for myself.

1. I'll probably go 9mm. It's a very common caliber and it's cheaper on average that .45. Also found I was able to get on target quicker with the 9mm.

2. I like the striker fire guns like Glock, SA XD/M etc. Not as much a fan of the DA/SA.

3. Don't like thumb safety. I want the gun to be ready to use once it's in my hand. SA XD had the best system of a grip safety and trigger safety.

So far I'm leaning towards an XDm 9mm or a Glock but I still need to fire more guns before I am sold.

Archived