Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So, I'm Going To Buy A Gun And I'm A N00b.

Hubbs

The EAA Witness is a clone of the CZ 75 series of pistols. I have a CZ 75 P-01 and love it. Ergonomics are fantastic, great balance, extremely reliable. I highly recommend it

c72281f98a202c35a041b7b040c03fa2.png

+1

a couple of things to think about if the OP decides to go with a shotgun... the Mossberg because of where the safety is positioned (top/rear of the receiver) it is great for left handed shooters but if you ever decide to upgrade to a tactical m4 style stock it is much harder to access than the Remington 870 's traditional safety (located on the trigger guard). Both are great shotguns.

Mossberg

http://i2.squidoocdn.com/resize/squidoo_images/590/draft_lens11997391module109732521photo_1278750832Mossberg_535_12_gauge_sho[/img

Man your spot on, and I want that pistol as my next gun. Already have the Mossberg. How much should that pistol go for?

I'm surprised at some of the misinformation being put forth in this thread. To start with,

If you live in Virginia, just buy a used gun and you don't have to go through any background checks or paperwork, plus it's cheaper.

You are legaly allowed to open-carry without a permit, meaning gun must be in plain sight. To carry a concealed weapon, you need a permit.

You are not allowed to bring guns to anyplace alcohol is served.

For a first gun, just get a Glock.

This is not true. To begin with, you have always been allowed to open carry your gun into a bar if you desire. You are even permitted to legally drink in a bar while you are open-carrying, but it is up to the bar owners discretion if they want to serve you. You are not allowed to open carry while you are intoxicated.

Up until recently it was illegal to carry a concealed weapon into a bar, but the law was changed, and you can now carry a concealed handgun into a bar, but you are not allowed to drink.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/virginiapolitics/2010/03/va_general_assembly_approves_b.html

As a Virginia resident, I can tell you that self defense is defined as when you have reasonable apprehension of serious bodily harm or death from a situation you did not start (for example a mugging or home invasion); you are not required to retreat and may stand your ground. There's also something called justifiable homicide where you may get into a yelling match with someone and then they bring out, say, a knife and you have, again, reasonable apprehension of serious bodily harm or death. At that point, you are required to retreat if possible and try to ease the situation. If you are unable to resolve the situation peacefully, then you can use deadly force and it would be considered justifiable homicide.

This isn't necessarily untrue, but I just want to point out that Virginia really has some pretty weak laws when it comes to self-defense. Virginia does not have a castle doctrine law, so the circumstances under which you can defend yourself versus when you have the duty to retreat are tricky.

I would highly recommend reading this brief .pdf put together by the Virginia Citizens Defense League, it has it outlined pretty well.

http://www.vcdl.org/pdf/Virginia-self-defense-cases.pdf

Also, the wikipedia article on Castle Doctrine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_doctrine#States_with_a_Stand-your-ground_Law

Finally, I have two Springfield Armory handguns at home, a subcompact 9mm XD and a full sized .45 XDM. Both of which are great guns, and the fact that they have both a trigger safety and a grip safety makes it very unlikely that it will accidentally go off when you don't want it to. My personal preference is with SA and I would highly recommend checking them out and shooting them at a range that lets you rent guns, like blue ridge arsenal.

Good luck!

yes you still have to aim, the pattern depends on the choke,but generally within 10 ft it is between a fist or spread hand size

most now have interchangeable chokes with modified or improved modified giving ya the best spread.

the stopping power on the other hand is like getting hit with a full clip from a nine

Stopping or tearing? Yikes just the thought of being hit with a shot gun blast after shooting them is scaring. I can imagine surviving a bullet wound, but how you going to survive a shot gun blast with all appendages in tact?

yes you still have to aim, the pattern depends on the choke,but generally within 10 ft it is between a fist or spread hand size

most now have interchangeable chokes with modified or improved modified giving ya the best spread.

the stopping power on the other hand is like getting hit with a full clip from a nine

The EAA Witness is a clone of the CZ 75 series of pistols. I have a CZ 75 P-01 and love it. Ergonomics are fantastic, great balance, extremely reliable. I highly recommend it

c72281f98a202c35a041b7b040c03fa2.png

Yes! God I was trying to remember what the hell it had an exact similarity to. One of my brothers friends has a CZ and we fired it with the Witness and they were pretty much the same gun. I also fired a Beretta that a friend of mine had and it felt like I was firing the Witness. I love those guns, they're great hand guns they feel so damn balanced in your hands.

Some great advise in here.

When I was looking into getting a hand gun I was leaning towards a Glock with all that I have read on them. I went to the range and rented a Glock 9mm, .40 and a .45. I had also shot my friends .45 was a S&W think. I liked the Glock .40 the best, it just felt better when shooting. I have shot a Beretta 9mm. I read an article about the Walther P99 series. Rented it in a .40 and fell in love with it. To me it was more comfortable than anything I had shot before. What ever you choose you really can't go wrong, just be sure to handle and shoot each pistol that you are interested in.

Okay, I know people mentioned a couple ranges already, but just to see what else anyone feels like throwing out there, I currently live in Alexandria. I'd like to find a range where I can rent some guns, where there are some staff who could offer some of their own advice, within reasonable driving distance. Oh, and if they happen to be kind to your wallet, that's always good, too. :ols:

People should really stop quoting pics in this thread and violating r11 since many are being banned for a week for doing so (read the rule, and we've run numerous sticky threads and made many many in thread warning---like this one). :)

Okay, I know people mentioned a couple ranges already, but just to see what else anyone feels like throwing out there, I currently live in Alexandria. I'd like to find a range where I can rent some guns, where there are some staff who could offer some of their own advice, within reasonable driving distance. Oh, and if they happen to be kind to your wallet, that's always good, too. :ols:

Blue Ridge Arsenal Chantilly near the Costco. Rentals, great staff.

Clark Brothers Warrenton - Not sure about rentals, outdoor.

NRA HQ Fairfax - No rental, open to non NRA members

Those are three that I know of.

I have a question about sighting. I went shooting with my friend tonight. We rented a Glock 34 and shot about 50 a piece. My friend shoots with both eyes open but I can't put together a target picture with both my eyes open. I can only shoot with my right eye open. Is this normal? Can most people shoot with both eyes open?

I have a question about sighting. I went shooting with my friend tonight. We rented a Glock 34 and shoot about 50 a piece. My friend shoots with both eyes open but I can't put together a target picture with both my eyes open. I can only shoot with my right eye open. Is this normal? Can most people shoot with both eyes open?

Some people can, some can't. I can, but prefer left eye closed.

When aiming your target should be viewable but not in focus, focus on the front site.

I've been wanting to get around to buying a gun for a while now, and this is as good a time as any, especially given the fact that gun sales have been racing upward, thereby pushing prices upward as well. I'm primarily interested for self-defense, as I've already had to go through having my apartment robbed once before. I understand that this needs to come with a proper training when it comes to the details of how to handle a gun, and I want to go ahead with that as well. So, gun owners of ES (I'm looking at you, HH :pfft:), I'm asking for your advice:

What factors should I consider when determining which gun I should buy? (I'm ultimately interested in both a handgun and a shotgun, so I'd appreciate input regarding either.)

What should I know about guns before I buy?

What do I need to know about ammo?

Where's the best place to fire a few guns before I buy, and also to learn what I need to learn about using a gun? (I've already fired several and learned a few things at NRA headquarters in Fairfax, but that was through another organization and I imagine that doing it again would be rather expensive compared to other places.)

I live in Virginia. What legal steps should I make sure to take?

What else do you think I should know?

(Obviously I'm working on my own to find the answers to these questions, but I figure a thread wouldn't hurt.)

For home safety...........thats pretty easy. 12 gauge pump action shotgun, Remington. Get buck shot if you can, if sold out, turkey shot. The great thing about shotguns, you point in the general directions and shoot, the buck/turkey shot spreads out. It's probably the most popular home defense weapon. When I bought mine, they ran a background check, but you didn't have to register, no clue if that's the case now.

I get an error message on that page.

I've never had a dominant eye when it comes to any instance when I've blurred my focus.

point at something about 20 ft away with both eyes open...close the left and see if it moves

okay i don't know if hubbs has decided on what kind of gun he wants, but here is my .$02.

i own 4 handguns. 2 revolvers and 2 semi autos. if you are looking ONLY for home protection and never plan on shooting for recreation then get a 12 gauge shotgun like everyone else said.

if you plan on shooting for fun, then you need to ask yourself whether you want a revolver or a semi auto. I have a .357 magnum and a .38 snub nose. both are easy to maintain and won't jam or fail on you. however, you only get 5 or 6 shots with revolvers. not to mention, if you get a .357 snub, its not going to be a joy to shoot even with 38 specials in it.

both of my semi autos are glocks. I have a glock 30 (.45 acp) that I carry and a glock 17 (full size 9mm) that I use at the range. If you are dead set on a semi auto but rarely plan on target shooting, I would get a .40 cal or .45 caliber glock. glocks are cheap and proven. they won't let you down and will outlast you with minimal maintenance. they are the ak47's of the pistol world.

if you decide not to go with glock, just remember that .45 and .40 are going to cost you twice as much as 9mm. so if you plan on target shooting a lot, I'd be inclined to go for a 9mm if this is the only gun you will get. with modern hollow point ammo, 9mm will be effective like the .45 in incapacitating a human but cost half as much to shoot at the range.

i don't know if you ever plan on carrying the gun, but if you do then there is a whole other set of scenarios to consider when choosing the right gun.

the glock 19 (9mm) is probably one of the most popular civilian semi-auto's on the market right now. I went with the full size glock 17 since I have bigger hands and already have 2 carry guns.

if you want to go .45 acp look at the glock 21 or glock 30.

good luck to you and check out this range that is in lorton. they rent guns so you can try out a bunch : http://www.sharpshootersva.com/

btw, if you do decide to get a glock send me a PM and i'll tell you a way to get a brand new Gen 4 for $399

Archived