Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So, I'm Going To Buy A Gun And I'm A N00b.

Hubbs

If you're concerned of home invasions/home robberies be clear on what constitutes self defense in your state. Here in PA, we just had a case in the news about that very thing. The standard or threshold for self defense is different in every state.

As a Virginia resident, I can tell you that self defense is defined as when you have reasonable apprehension of serious bodily harm or death from a situation you did not start (for example a mugging or home invasion); you are not required to retreat and may stand your ground. There's also something called justifiable homicide where you may get into a yelling match with someone and then they bring out, say, a knife and you have, again, reasonable apprehension of serious bodily harm or death. At that point, you are required to retreat if possible and try to ease the situation. If you are unable to resolve the situation peacefully, then you can use deadly force and it would be considered justifiable homicide.

If you go revolvers, my favorite have been Rugers, and I also really like the Dan Wesson .357. The .357 caliber is nice because you can shot .38 or .357 ammo with the same gun. As for failures with a revolver, anythings possible, but compard to a semi the are much less prone to a problem while shooting.

As for semi-auto pistols my all time favorite is the Colt Gold Cup . It's a super accurate .45. You can customize the grips and barrel lengths to your liking.

.357 revolver. You can use .38 ammo to practice and it's cheaper. And a revolver will never jam.

Me personally since I have very small hands (think child size) I have an AMT Backup .380 DA and I have both frangible and hollow points loaded into magazines. I'm going to get a revolver and when I move to the country I'll get a shotgun too. My aunt had a varmint gun when she lived on a farm.

.357 revolver. You can use .38 ammo to practice and it's cheaper. And a revolver will never jam.

Me personally since I have very small hands (think child size) I have an AMT Backup .380 DA and I have both frangible and hollow points loaded into magazines. I'm going to get a revolver and when I move to the country I'll get a shotgun too. My aunt had a varmint gun when she lived on a farm.

I've been wanted to pick up a little .380, havent looked into that one, You like it ok? I was checking out the Ruger

Is a shotgun the best choice for home defense? I would think a handgun would be better since, it's easier to wrestle away a shotgun from the shooter, it's harder to maneuver a shotgun in confined areas, and it takes longer to fire off multiple shells than multiple rounds.

Shotguns are usually acknowledged as the best home defense weapon. They generally won't go through walls and kill someone unintended. You also don't have to have very good aiming skills. In stressful situations most people lose a lot of their ability to aim unless they have fired guns a lot.

I've been wanted to pick up a little .380, havent looked into that one, You like it ok? I was checking out the Ruger

Hi SS! Yes, I like it fine, it's perfect for smaller hands, very concealable if that's what you want, and mine is stainless steel. It's not yet jammed on me, but with a semi you never know, hence my desire for a revolver, probably a Ladysmith. Also, they don't make them anymore so you'll have to pick up a used one.

Is a shotgun the best choice for home defense? I would think a handgun would be better since, it's easier to wrestle away a shotgun from the shooter, it's harder to maneuver a shotgun in confined areas, and it takes longer to fire off multiple shells than multiple rounds.

If you are wrestling ya are doing it wrong ;) and you need better doors/locks/windows

I do prefer the pistol grip for better mobility,but multiple rounds ain't much of a issue unless it is a zombie horde

portability and ease of carry are a pistols strong points

Hi SS! Yes, I like it fine, it's perfect for smaller hands, very concealable if that's what you want, and mine is stainless steel. It's not yet jammed on me, but with a semi you never know, hence my desire for a revolver, probably a Ladysmith. Also, they don't make them anymore so you'll have to pick up a used one.

I'll definitely check them out! Thanks Lady!

The Glock will NOT fire w/o pulling the trigger...period

it is the people that put their finger on it that are a danger

I like the Rem 870 myself, but the Moss is cheaper and function

any auto can jam, pumps and revolvers are more dependable

The problem of not having a safety is needing a holster in order to carry it with a chambered round. If your a "your never know what situation may come up" person a safety on a gun makes it more versatile. You can argue that you don't need it but you can't argue that it has more options. If its going to sit in a gun safe unloaded (hopefully next to your living will) then any gun will do.

On topic:

If you want a gun and you don't what you are doing. Take a gun safety course and learn the basics. Ask the range if they will let you test fire some different models or rent them afterwards. Try out different calibers. Then go to a gun show and hold them. The one that fits your hand the best will jump out at you. That I'd a good place to start and my 2 cents.

Everyone has a different choice in firearms so take everything you hear with a grain of salt. The basics however are that long guns are more effective and hand guns are option B in dangerous scenarios. If its for home defense gets a shotgun. If your home is s lsrge abandoned warehouse consider an assault rifle. If you want to go shooting regularly and not spend much on ammo consider a .22 plinking option like a browning buck mark.

---------- Post added January-2nd-2012 at 08:55 PM ----------

Shotguns are easier to put on target than a hand gun in general.

yes, a shotgun is best. It's got a wide spread so you wont miss your target, and it has minimal wall penetration to prevent collateral damage. The sound of ****ing a shotgun is enough to make an invader **** his pants as he gets out of there. It may be good to learn to shoot from the hip for better maneuverability around walls. and as someone else mentioned, you should not get into a wrestling match over the weapon, 'cause if you do, you're doing it wrong. If somehow they manage to get that close, you're probably better off with a knife.

As a Virginia resident, I can tell you that self defense is defined as when you have reasonable apprehension of serious bodily harm or death from a situation you did not start (for example a mugging or home invasion); you are not required to retreat and may stand your ground. There's also something called justifiable homicide where you may get into a yelling match with someone and then they bring out, say, a knife and you have, again, reasonable apprehension of serious bodily harm or death. At that point, you are required to retreat if possible and try to ease the situation. If you are unable to resolve the situation peacefully, then you can use deadly force and it would be considered justifiable homicide.

The incident I'm talking about clarified the "castle" clause in the self defense statute. I think the case said that steps leading up to a trailer constituted part of a person's home.

Good first gun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_Model_36

Got mine when I was 16, handed down from my father.

Double action, five shots, will never jam. One of the most reliable guns ever made, and effective in home/personal defense.

Mine is a 2" barrel, but its available in 3". Learn how to use it, and learn how to use it safely. You can buy any gun you want, but it is useless unless you know how to use it effectively.

For a first handgun, I usually recommend a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan 454 Casull. And don't worry about any pansy-ass "classes."

You mean like one of these Jumbo:)

P7270011.jpg

You need a lot of practice to get that second shot. On topic a gun should be a personal choice find a nearby range that rents guns and try everything they have.... find out what you shoot the best. I don't like the grips on the Glock series but I do like the feel of the XD's, they work for me. Some of the compact revolvers are not very pleasant to shoot which may keep you from practicing but you will only find out if you try as many different types a you can. I have a Mossberg 930 SPX for home defense, 9 shots and a smooth semi auto action a just the ticket if the bad guys or Zombies decide to show up. Whatever you choice get instruction and practice, practice, practice.

---------- Post added January-2nd-2012 at 08:11 PM ----------

yes, a shotgun is best. It's got a wide spread so you wont miss your target, and it has minimal wall penetration to prevent collateral damage. The sound of ****ing a shotgun is enough to make an invader **** his pants as he gets out of there. It may be good to learn to shoot from the hip for better maneuverability around walls. and as someone else mentioned, you should not get into a wrestling match over the weapon, 'cause if you do, you're doing it wrong. If somehow they manage to get that close, you're probably better off with a knife.

You may want to watch some video or pattern your shotgun at household ranges (10 to 15 Yards) you will be surprised how tight the pattern is, as far as defensive loads for my 930 00 Buck all the way YMMV.

For a first handgun, go with a Glock 9mm or .40. You are getting reliability to the fullest if you plan on having it for home defense. The safety is the middle trigger and IMO I don't want a handgun where I need to see if my safety is on or off if god forbid it needs to be used. You can toss it off a 50 story building and it wouldn't misfire. Grab yourself a box of Federal Hydra Shok law enforcement ammo as well. If your going shotgun, go with a AA-12 fully automatic to get the job done.....JKin Jkin. Like others have said go with the Rem 870 or IMO a Mossberg 590 Tactical.

Once you have made your choice you might want to look into joining some of the organizations that help support and protect your second amendment rights (no not the NRA), such as Gun Owners of America (GOA) and the Second Amendment Foundation, I am a life member of both and they do great work

Archived