Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So, I'm Going To Buy A Gun And I'm A N00b.

Hubbs

You don't seem to hold much favor for Glocks. Personally I am not all that into them either, but that is just preference;

:ols: how could you tell? It just annoys me that such a poor design is so popular.

best pistol I've shot personally was a Sig P226 .40.

Sig makes great firearms!

In that video it seems like the Glocks have the issue more than others. Any specific reason why?

I don't think so... maybe the heavier frames of the HK & S&W keep the recoil down? That video is not the most scientific so i wouldn't put much stock in it. As much as i dislike Glocks reliability is not one of its shortcomings.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll be doing that next time I go shooting. I would have thought that if it was a mechanical issue though that the gunsmith would have found it. I took it to Hatfields Gunsmith in Manassas if anybody has any experience with them.

Hard to find issues with spring tension and movement in a clip at times...aside from noting them being specific to the clip

from the description of the problem it is probably not the ammo

even a new spring having too much tension will produce feed problems

how is glock a poor design? the lack of external safety is legit gripe but other than that?

and don't tell me the trigger either. that's a personal preference type thing. glock triggers feel great to me.

believe me, i'd love to get a kimber 1911 or Sig but then I remember that I could buy 2-3 glocks for the same price and have better reliability.

for home and personal defense, i can always trust one of my glocks to perform without a hiccup

how is glock a poor design? the lack of external safety is legit gripe but other than that?

and don't tell me the trigger either. that's a personal preference type thing. glock triggers feel great to me.

believe me, i'd love to get a kimber 1911 or Sig but then I remember that I could buy 2-3 glocks for the same price and have better reliability.

for home and personal defense, i can always trust one of my glocks to perform without a hiccup

1) the ergonomics and balance are horrendous...

2) a trigger that has a short travel distance and is relatively light (#6.5avg) with no manual safety is inherently dangerous IMO.

here is just one example of a ND that would not have occurred with a true double action or a single action w/ manual safety http://www.itstactical.com/warcom/firearms/safety-warning-worn-leather-holsters-can-cause-accidental-discharges/ another example would be the Plaxico incident.

3) field striping a Glock requires the trigger to be pulled.

you can argue erg and balance all you want, but that's a subjective topic and preference will vary person to person. like i said, glocks feel great in my hand and extremely easy point and shoot weapons IMO

your other gripes sound like safety related issues that the operator should address with professional training if they feel uncomfortable handling a glock.

glock's design is simple, functional, and most of all reliable

No doubt. That 226 just felt great. Grip, action, general weight, balance. Only thing about Sigs...yeow they can be pricey.

Yeah the price is what kept me from buying a Sig... but if you got the money they are well worth it.

you can argue erg and balance all you want, but that's a subjective topic and preference will vary person to person. like i said, glocks feel great in my hand and extremely easy point and shoot weapons IMO

No it is not! no one... not even the most ardent Glock fanboys will argue that it has good ergonomics.

your other gripes sound like safety related issues that the operator should address with professional training if they feel uncomfortable handling a glock.

yes they are safety concerns... related to poor design. :ols:

1) the ergonomics and balance are horrendous...

2) a trigger that has a short travel distance and is relatively light (#6.5avg) with no manual safety is inherently dangerous IMO.

here is just one example of a ND that would not have occurred with a true double action or a single action w/ manual safety http://www.itstactical.com/warcom/firearms/safety-warning-worn-leather-holsters-can-cause-accidental-discharges/ another example would be the Plaxico incident.

3) field striping a Glock requires the trigger to be pulled.

I've got to agree with each of these points. The balance is so-so and the ergonomics are simply poor. The grip is too small and boxy and, when compared to Berettas, Sigs, M&Ps, etc., it's simply uncomfortable.

Safety is biggest problem. Whenever I hear of accidental discharges involving handguns, I know there's a 60% chance the gun was a Glock. Again, if thumb safeties are good enough for the military on the 1911 and M9, they're good enough for me.

The field stripping issue is mildly obnoxious, although if you're field stripping a loaded weapon and you pull the trigger, you're an idiot.

Been meaning to ask this, so this seems like a good place to do it.

I own a Mossberg 500, and I'm looking to get a gun safe now that we have a daughter. Anything in particular I should be looking for? I, like the OP, am somewhat of a noob.

Been meaning to ask this, so this seems like a good place to do it.

I own a Mossberg 500, and I'm looking to get a gun safe now that we have a daughter. Anything in particular I should be looking for? I, like the OP, am somewhat of a noob.

The one thing I do know is that you bolt it down unless you want it to be just a big heavy carry case for a thief. :D

bolting down is good :ols:

if you just have the one a trigger lock or partial disasembly might be easier

safes are really more for preventing theft

and if your child can get past a trigger lock,a safe is not a high hurdle

bolting down is good :ols:

if you just have the one a trigger lock or partial disasembly might be easier

safes are really more for preventing theft

and if your child can get past a trigger lock,a safe is not a high hurdle

Ok, interesting point. I do have a trigger lock on there already.

I like the 500 a lot. I've only had a chance to shoot with it once so far, at Blue Ridge Arsenal in VA. Liked the feel of it, but I haven't taken it outside for skeet or anything like that. Just another on the long list of things that I'm short on time and money for with a new baby.

what kind of stock do you have on it?

i plan on putting a knoxx tactical on mine. it's recoil reducing and supposed to make a significant difference in felt recoil

Unless you are a lefty I would suggest looking at the Rem. 870. The location of the safety on the Mossberg is much harder to access with the M4 stock.

mossberg_500_persuader_20-gauge_action2.jpg

The Rem. 870 has a more conventional safety location...

Rem870-Safety.JPG

Both are great shotguns and retail for about the same price.

So, does anyone know where to get a Glock 29 in Northern Virginia?

Priced one out at Glockmeister, but if there's a local vendor that can offer a competitive price, I'm definitely willing to shop there.

I don't know for sure if they carry it, but I've found that Virginia Arms in Manassas has a very large selection and competitive prices. They recently expanded their store too, so they have an even larger inventory. I would call them up and ask them if they carry that particular one in stock.

Archived