Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

No Fletcher/Redskins on Pro Bowl Roster

Rocky52Mc

I've pretty much become numb to how much of a joke the Pro Bowl has become, but this is beyond ridiculous to the point where it bothers the heck outta me anyway. In the past I've heard arguments to the effect of "he's a steady LB who'll be near the top in tackles, but doesn't make enough game-changing plays or solo tackles to be a pro bowler," and while I might not necessarily have agreed, it still made at least some sense in previous years. But if you LEAD THE LEAGUE in tackles by a significant margin, combined with numerous other big plays like multile sacks, INTs, and other stuff, I'm afraid such arguments do NOT hold up. For London to not make the Pro Bowl this year is mind-boggling.

LMFAO at comparisons to Willis and Lewis.

Fletcher maybe deserved to get in. Maybe. Urlacher certainly didn't, but there were other guys that played well enough to earn that spot too. Bowman and Fletch both were better than Urlacherz, off the top of my head.

I am guessing you have never watched The skins play and I am assuming you have never seen Fletcher play to have such an ignorant response . Willis has been playing poorly this season comparatively and who knows could have peaked ... Bowman was your better MLB and was a guy I really wanted in the draft .

This is why fans shouldn't be allowed to vote or should have to take a damn football IQ test to be able to vote. Brian Urlacher wasn't spectacular at all this year neither was Lance Briggs. Most fans that vote don't know jack about the game. The Pro Bowl is such a joke and until they eliminate bull**** like this it will continue to be so. The NFL should be embarrassed that London isn't on this roster.

Inside linebacker London Fletcher leads the NFL in tackles, and outside linebacker Brian Orakpo ranked among the top five in fan votes at his position. But neither made the cut as the league unveiled the rosters for the team. Fan votes counted for one third of the vote, as did the players’ votes and the coaches’ votes.

Just saying.

LMFAO at comparisons to Willis and Lewis.

London Fletcher

Years: 14

Games: 223

Solo Tackles: 1,053

Sacks: 34.5

Interceptions: 18

Forced Fumbles: 17

Recovered Fumbles: 12

Passes Defensed: 61

Ray Lewis

Years: 16

Games: 221

Solo Tackles: 923

Sacks: 40.5

Interceptions: 31

Forced Fumbles: 16

Recovered Fumbles: 18

Passes Defensed: 65

^^^^According to NFL.com

What were you saying again?

I will agree with you though, Willis has a LONG way to go before he can be compared to London Fletcher :ols:

---------- Post added December-28th-2011 at 03:56 AM ----------

Your sig is legit!

Just saying.

I am guessing you have never watched The skins play and I am assuming you have never seen Fletcher play to have such an ignorant response . Willis has been playing poorly this season comparatively and who knows could have peaked ... Bowman was your better MLB and was a guy I really wanted in the draft .

Lol. It's pretty clear that this MB's criteria for what makes a LB great is tackles. I bet you think Pat Angerer is an elite MLB too? Please.

I think it's hilarious you accuse me of making ignorant statements and what not, then go on to say Willis has been playing poorly this season, and Bowman is better? :ols: Bowman has more tackles, yes, which is apparently the gold-standard for all players on this board. Is he better? LOL, no. Bowman is a great player in his own right, but a lot of his success can be attributed to Patrick Willis. In addition to being an inside force, Patrick Willis possesses such insane outside closing speed that running sweeps or stretch plays is nearly impossible....so coaches design plays to the other side -- Bowman's -- in hopes of better chances. Obviously Bowman has been doing a great job when they test him; if he hadn't, well, then we wouldn't be the best defense in the league, nor have allowed only 1 rushing TD. Both of them are t fast and athletic too, that it makes RB screens, dump-offs, or any other short passes tough for opposing offenses. Those guys mirror their guys too well. Not to mention both are good blitzers, force fumbles, and never miss a tackle.

And that's why Patrick Willis is a perennial Pro-Bowler, the best in the game, and a future hall of famer. You have to game-plan around him. London Fletcher gets more tackles...cool. I think the top tacklers in the NFL now are like Chad Greenway, LF, and Pat Angerer....not exactly elite company. Fletch is great -- sure tackler, smart player -- but isn't someone offenses gameplan around. He doesn't possess the sideline-to-sideline speed of Patrick Willis, nor the playmaking or hitting of Ray Willis. A good player, but not even close to their league. Not even close.

Wasn't even responding to your post...if I'm a halfwit, I'm not even sure what that makes you if you can't even recognize the username I quoted. You wrote your entry as I was responding to another.

But let's discuss your post.

Fletcher has played more games, and is significantly worse in EVERY worthwhile stat, except FFs, where it is about equal. Lewis even has TWICE AS MANY ints as him. So I don't even know what you're trying to use that as evidence of.

But it's moot anyway, stats are hogwash. I guess I didn't make that clear enough in my first post. I only used tackles as an example then because it was on those grounds that fans were arguing LF deserved the Pro Bowl nod.

No Redskins on the pro bowl roster really, really, annoys me even though it shouldn't and I tell myself it shouldn't bug me. But a snub like Fletcher and snubbing our team is just disrespect. They are saying this team isn't good enough to even have an alternate? It's just disrespectful to a respectful defense and a disgustingly underrated ILB.

It seems we are great at getting sacks, but it's the entire team getting sacks and not just one or two players, pretty much everyone in the front seven is hanging around 5-7 sacks tops. It just annoys me none of our guys even got an alternate, just a slap in the face is all.

You know why pro bowls matter? When London Fletcher's HOF candidacy is brought up, the singlemost thing that will prevent him from getting in is his lack of probowls.

Pro bowls aside, his career numbers are comparable to Ray Lewis' across the board

Like I said, I don't take anyone seriously who considers pro bowls to be a major conversation piece. That includes hall of fame voters.

I have a pretty negative regard for the Pro Bowl. With very rare exceptions of topic, I don't understand why it's ever a part of any serious football conversation. I wish we didn't play the game. I've felt the way for quite awhile.

I can't remember the last time I actually watched the Pro Bowl. It is by far the worst all-star game of any major sport. I read the Skins had no players and I thought to myself "Meeh, oh well."

I really couldn't care less.

What separates Fletcher and Lewis are the profiles they have. Lewis plays on a consistent winner that's a Super Bowl threat more often than not, Fletcher plays on irrelevant teams nobody cares about. That matters. Lewis is a big personality on and off the field, with the pregame dance and the commercials, Fletcher's fiery on gameday, but nobody's sticking a camera in his face every other day. That matters. Low profile guys tend to get overlooked. Fletch played on some pretty good defenses, 7 times his D's were top 10, Lewis had the fortune of playing on top 5 defenses year in and year out. If the Ravens aren't top 5-10 in defense, people start thinking something's wrong. And if you're the constant on a defense with that rep, you're gonna get a lot of the credit. A lot of those guys have come and gone, Ed Reed and Terrell Suggs weren't always there, Peter Boulware and Rod Woodson have come and gone, Ray's always been there. That matters.

In terms of NFL linebacker skill and will and all that, Fletcher is the match of Lewis, IMO. The rest of publicity element slants heavily to Lewis. People just don't know London Fletcher, and if fan voting is gonna be a part of the Pro Bowl, he's always gonna be screwed. I would imagine even knowledgeable football fans would have a hard time picking Fletch out of a lineup, let alone knowing how good his career has been. You play out of the limelight, it makes it tough to get your just due. I think on football merit, Fletcher deserves to be in the HOF right with Ray Lewis, but I doubt it'll happen.

And somebody said it earlier, the lack of Pro Bowls will certainly be held against Fletch by people that are just ignorant to football. There'll be some ignorant sports writer with a HOF vote in some distant city that's gonna point to how few Pro Bowls Fletch has and say "he was never one of the best at his position" and point to the lack of personal accolades. And that would be a shame.

Archived