Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Who should be our Day #1 starting QB in 2012? What if Grossman or Beck is the best short-term option?

Commander PK

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Fair enough man, but I suspect you might have to endure him for at least one more season in some capacity. :ols: We will see.

I'm just worried about the baby seals.

I might be in such a rage that I can save the seals and maul the Great Whites.

However, and this is going to hurt me to type, so bear with me while I type it...

I have..... this... uneasy friggin feeling...

That my wishes, desires and my dreams are going to be... shattered... To nothing...

And realistically, Grossman will be with us.

AHH! That hurt! So bad!

I have no problem with Rex being the "bridge" QB early in 2012 for the first 8 games or so while our rookie QB gets ready

and then one of two things happens. Rex does well with no 4 turnover games next year...and he starts the whole season. The rook gets a chance to sit and watch and learn. Maybe with some better Luck as far as the injury bug, and more time with the supporting cast we could even make the playoffs with Rex at QB. I think this front office is more than capable of filling in the gaps during the off-season to improve the roster enough to get us there.

The other is he spirals downhill again, and we go ahead and start the rook early (before he's ready) which I'd prefer not to do, but if we have to so be it.

You sound like someone who's bitter :)

Believe it or not, it's not your decision to make and you decide not to watch the games that Rex starts in, then you can watch the Discovery Channels ;)

It isn't my decision? You think? I'm sorry I don't like your boy, WhoRU. Really. But we're all entitled to opinion... And since I never said it WAS my decision, I have a hard time understanding why you came at me like that.

Beck? Really? Pretty sure Shanny would lose the locker room and maybe his job if he trotted him out again. Nice guy, wanted him to succeed, but he's done in the NFL.

He never had a chance and doesn't deserve another one.

I respected the hell out of Shanahan for even giving him a second chance. Never mind "done," Beck's career never "begun." :ols:

---------- Post added December-13th-2011 at 09:51 AM ----------

It isn't my decision? You think? I'm sorry I don't like your boy, WhoRU. Really. But we're all entitled to opinion... And since I never said it WAS my decision, I have a hard time understanding why you came at me like that.

It wasn't said to be mean-spirited... just a friendly jab.

Truth be told, even though Rex is not my boy, he'd make an eventful patron shot partner ;)

Beck should not be in the league right now. There are probably 10 3rd string QBs who are better than he is. He is just awful.

Luck should start from day one for whoever he plays for.

RGIII...I would be tempted to let him sit behind a vet for a month or two. His transition to the NFL game makes me nervous.

I would start Barkley immediately - even though I ultimately think RGIII will be better.

Landry Jones...I would have to see him in training camp. I might start him; I might wait half a season.

John Beck will be bagging groceries next year in Utah. He shouldn't even be in this discussion.

The opening day starter will be our rookie first rounder unless he really looks bad in the preseason. Rex should be here just in case he does. The third stringer should be another QB we select later in the draft.

I mentioned how psychotic this board can appear :ols: in the "praising Kyle Shanahan thread" (after all the weeks I've read what a < insert all manners of castigation and even virulent name-calling> he's been :) ), and now after the NE game we have three threads where people are not just happy to see Rex and our offense resembling a pro team but are actually endorsing him to a much more positive degree, and even offering supportive thoughts about him being possibly suitable for an important role next year. :D

I'm not commenting on the merit of any of those positions, just once again having fun with the cognitive stability of extrmeksins. :pfft:

It's apparent that people don't understand that moving the ball on defenses in the bottom quarter of the league is nothing to be too excited about. He's an NFL QB with 9 years in him. He'd better be at least somewhat competent. He still turns the ball over 3 times against the worst D in the league and can only muster 27 points.

Guys. Let's get real here.

I really think this fan base needs to stop watching Skins games for the rest of the year and watch any other team in order to gain true perspective.

Beck should not be in the league right now. There are probably 10 3rd string QBs who are better than he is. He is just awful.

Luck should start from day one for whoever he plays for.

RGIII...I would be tempted to let him sit behind a vet for a month or two. His transition to the NFL game makes me nervous.

I would start Barkley immediately - even though I ultimately think RGIII will be better.

Landry Jones...I would have to see him in training camp. I might start him; I might wait half a season.

If we can not land one of the top three on this list (Luck, RGIII, Barkley), I hope we can find gold via trade or free agency. I am certainly not impressed by Landry Jones or any of the other prospects coming out this year in terms of short term prosperity.

I do endorse keeping Grossman as next year's starter either way.

EDIT: Unless the rook REALLY shines in camp OR the FA/Trade pickup is named Bradford.

Sometimes I read this forum and I actively think to myself, "Self, I don't know who's crazier... The people who actually want/advocate for Grossman's return despite his horrendous ability to hold on to the football or produce any positive football... Or is it me, who seems to be out on an island all alone in not wanting him. Am I watching the same thing as everyone else, or am I in some kind of weird dream world that makes me not know up and down?"

And that scares me. Because every day I feel more and more like I'm in a dream world :ols:

I'm glad to see the overall even-tempered and unemotional response on this one. It truly does depend on certain points others have made: specifically the integrity/health of the O-line and how ready is the rookie. It should absolutely, without a doubt be an open competition if we draft a QB in the first round. If the rookie clearly wins the competition, then I don't have much of a problem with him starting. But if it's close to even or Grossman is slightly ahead, I think you have to go with Rex.

And I think Shanahan understands this concept - you don't throw rookies, even if they are very talented, unless they are truly ready. And you can see the benefits of this. He thought Kerrigan was immediately ready and that was the right choice - you saw how well he performed right from the start. He felt Hankerson needed some seasoning to calm down and not always try to make plays before catching the ball. Leonard learned this and was able to realize he needed to focus on making the catch first and foremost. We saw the benefits of that when he did come in. Clearly Helu is a very talented back, but I don't think he was mentally ready to get 15-20 carries at the beginning of the year and Hightower was - he was hungrier for it. That allowed Helu to get comfortable before he started to get used to the grind and was able to show he was ready, both mentally and physically, in practice.

I think this idea is extremely crucial and Shanahan has shown time and again the ability to gauge when his rookies are ready to go, right down to late-round picks like Gomes as well. I trust he will determine the right decision with a QB as well and I would be a little surprised if Grossman wasn't the opening day starter. But he's going to receive plenty of pressure from the fans to replace Rex as soon as he turns the ball over twice on opening day, regardless of whether we win or lose.

Maybe a guy like Leinart becomes expendable with the way the young guy has played in Houston. Leinart knows the offense some. Maybe wouldn't turn the ball over as much as Rexy. But I agree Rex probably becomes the stop gap until the rook is ready to take over.

Leinart STINKS. All he can do is check down. Him getting hurt was a blessing in disguise for the Texans. Folks who watched him play know that.

Also, this idea that Rex has only had one good game and it came against a bad D is a joke. He lit up the cowboys and beat Seattle on the road -- something few Qbs have done of late.

No one is saying Rex is the answer. Just that it makes sense to bring him back as a number two or bridge guy.

I say that we keep Grossman and draft a quality QB. I would let Beck go because he is not a viable option to be a starter or even a backup. He is that awlful and is the reason why this is his third landing spot. I would draft wisely and if we can acquire some good pieces to go with what we have already through the draft and FA then all the better. I don't buy into the "Suck for Luck" or the "God Awful for Griffin" mentality because these guys are going to teams that are bad and desperate for a top tier QB. Of course we are one of those bad teams but we don't need just any guy that is in the top 3 of QB's or a Heisman trophy winner to run this offense. I guess people here want to win Super Bowls and not just win games to get to the playoffs and then lose again with that top 3 QB's, I assume? Because if we draft for RGIII we will be back where we are now looking for another top 3 QB in the draft because RGIII will not be getting the job done for us. Besides I think that RGIII will be gone to another team before we pick.

If we get one of the top QB's in the draft you start them from day one.

A rookie is gonna make mistakes but they will be no worse than Grossman's mistakes.

If you bring in a vet free agent you have to teach him the offense, why waste time teaching a stop gap our system.

You keep Grossman on because he knows the system and can help the rookie.

You play the rookie because he will be at least as good as Grossman and the best way to learn is to play.

Archived