Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Who should be our Day #1 starting QB in 2012? What if Grossman or Beck is the best short-term option?

Commander PK

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Until the Skins fix the MAJOR issues on the OL, I wouldn't give a kids millions to risk his health behind it. The Skins currently our third in the league in QB hits. The two teams ahead of them played last night. Both QBs were often running for their lives. Bradford looked deformed around midway thru the game. The Skins have only a marginally better line than those two teams. It's less noticeable because Rex gets rid of the ball quicker many times. A rookie starting right away will get absolutlely pummeled.

I see three different scenarios

1. They draft a QB and keep Grossman around to bring the Rookie along, therefore, Rex starts in 2012

2. The Draft Blackmon at Wide Reciever and sign Matt Flynn, and keep Grossman as a backup. Matt Flynn Starts

3. The draft Matt Barkley or by some miracle, Andrew Luck and they blow their minds away in training camp and pre season. Rookie starts.

Im not adding Griffin to the conversation because only a fool without a really good backup QB would draft someone who is more than likely going to be out anywhere from 2-5 games a year if he avoids IR. (Prime example: Michael Vick) The NFL catches up and adjusts to guys like this and they eventually get killed running around outside the pocket. Now any QB can be injured from the pocket, I understand this, but the percentage of this happening is so much lower. When has Vick had a full season before prison or after prison? That is all I am saying.

I honestly don't have a problem starting Rex for a few games if Shanny doesn't think the rookie is ready. Our future franchise QB's development is much more important then the first 2, 3, 4 games IMO.

I look at the situation in Jacksonville, and it's obvious that Gabbert wasn't ready for a Week 1 start. If they had kept Garrard and started him for the first few weeks, let Gabbert get comfortable in practice, learn the playbook etc, we might be looking at a different QB at this point in the season. But so far he's looked uncomfortable and almost scared in the pocket. Is it possible that by throwing him to the wolves, instead of taking the proper steps for his development, the Jags could have increased his "bust-potential"? I certainly think it's possible.

I think different QB's are gonna need different amounts of time depending on their different situations (wanted to add another "different" but couldn't find a spot :pfft:). Some can/should start from Day 1, others need to sit.

So I'd want us to make starting decisions based on the development of our young guy. Whatever's in his best interests, regardless of where he's drafted. I wouldn't mind bringing him in around game 4 or 5 if he's ready, similar to Vikings/Ponder.

And FWIW, Shanny drafted Cutler #11 and didn't start him til game 11 or 12. Now, I know Sexy is no Jake the Snake, but take it as you will.

Agreed. I can't see the Pack letting him walk given Rodgers has had multiple concussions throughout his career. Flynn is a pretty solid insurance plan & I see them locking him up.

Flynn is at the point in his career where he'll be looking for a starting job and there's a team out there that will pay him to do it.

The Packers seem to be moving forward on the next backup plan having activated Graham Harrell from the Practice Squad to keep the Texans from signing him. We'll let Flynn walk and take the compensatory pick and see where Harrell is after he gets a chance to go through McCarthy's QB school.

I chose draft pick because I'm sold on RGIII being our guy. It doesn't all add up, it's not a sure thing, but it's the scenario I see playing out and if it does, I want him starting day 1. The guy is intelligent, I see no reason why he can't learn the offense and get started. His athleticism will help him to develop. I think Rex stays on as backup and Beck is no where in this league next year. The fact that his name still comes up is absolutely shocking to me, he is a joke, a bad one.

Joe Webb is a Josh Johnson type.

Joe Webb is better than Josh Johnson. Josh Johnson is a Harbaugh system guy.

---------- Post added December-14th-2011 at 09:21 AM ----------

Rex Grossman will return because he signed a vet minimum deal. Before I get attacked, some must understand even though the Skins might have paid Rex 750,000 deal only the vet minimum applied against the cap according J.A. Alsted, I think I spelled his name right, former cap guy of the Skins that comes on the Sports Reporter from time to time. Look for the same deal in 2012 and 2013. Beck makes the unemployment rate go up.

---------- Post added December-14th-2011 at 09:21 AM ----------

Rex Grossman will return because he signed a vet minimum deal. Before I get attacked, some must understand even though the Skins might have paid Rex 750,000 deal only the vet minimum applied against the cap according J.A. Alsted, I think I spelled his name right, former cap guy of the Skins that comes on the Sports Reporter from time to time. Look for the same deal in 2012 and 2013. Beck makes the unemployment rate go up.

Flynn is at the point in his career where he'll be looking for a starting job and there's a team out there that will pay him to do it.

The Packers seem to be moving forward on the next backup plan having activated Graham Harrell from the Practice Squad to keep the Texans from signing him. We'll let Flynn walk and take the compensatory pick and see where Harrell is after he gets a chance to go through McCarthy's QB school.

Good to know, thanks PP. Man, if Graham turns out to be serviceable, or even better.....that MM QB school is something to behold...

with the amount of turnovers that he guarantees per start, id rather have anybody else. rex and beck need to be gone immediately, get any vet in here to keep the seat warm, and let kyle coach up the new QB as best as he can.

what vet, available through free agency will be better than rex? i think that was the question last year and will be the question for the beginning of this year.

what vet, available through free agency will be better than rex? i think that was the question last year and will be the question for the beginning of this year.

what defines "better"? to me, a guy that doesnt turn the ball over 400 times a season, despite them not knowing the offense, is automatically "better". i think id rather have orton or rosenfels for 5-6 games keep a seat warm for the rookie than grossman. he offers absolutely nothing to this football team.

No one has. :ols:

Yeah. Actually, when I posted that I "thought" that I had seen a few votes for "the mullet," but I am just too much of a lazy ass to go back and fix my post.

---------- Post added December-14th-2011 at 03:23 PM ----------

Will Carson Palmer be a free agent next year? If so, I really wish we could get him in here to help our new QB....Just a thought

Because CP is "so much better than" Rex???! Last I checked, Grossman took a team to the Super Bowl. CP has not. Thus RG > CP, for whatever that's worth.

Draft pick - and if we pick a QB in the first, I can't see any reason why Rex would be back here next year. He would know straight up that he was done long-term, and he doesn't look to me like he'd enjoy holding a rookies hand for a few months knowing he was about to lose his job.

As for Beck, well he sucks...But, something makes me think that Shanahan would keep him around to back-up a rookie QB. I could actually see Beck being very supportive to a rookie QB in the early stages of his career..more so than Rex...and I think thats part of the reason why Beck got a shot this year. However, there's no getting away from the fact he sucks.

voted Grossman because Shanny let cutler sit too behind plummer for the start of his season. But it really depends on the QB's grasp of the offense. TJ Yates is the example of what a Rookie grasp of the offense will look like, however whoever we draft might be able to do a little bit more right off the bat. I think Grossman will finish the year in position to be at least an average qb for next season, it will be interesting to see how much confidence Shanny has in the rookie.

Archived