Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Who should be our Day #1 starting QB in 2012? What if Grossman or Beck is the best short-term option?

Commander PK

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Of course I advocate drafting the QB of the future in April, but what about the short term i.e. first half of 2012 season, and possibly beyond depending on how things go. No matter who we draft, the guy is probably not ready to start on Day #1 of next season.

What do we do?

Bring in another retread veteran QB to handle the duties until the draft pick is ready? If so, do we cut Rex and Beck all together? Do we keep Rex, cut Beck, or vice versa, and bring in another vet and let them both compete with the rookie? Do we throw the draft pick to the wolves regardless if he is ready or not?

Also, I'd prefer that people keep the "Rex sucks" and "anybody but Rex" comments out of here also as far as if you don't want the guy on the team at all costs...give a realistic, viable alternative and plan of action that is a better option than keeping him. In other words, who would you bring in to replace him if he must go.

For me, you keep Rex and he probably starts next season. Depending on how he does, he starts all year while the top draft pick prepares to start in 2013. Rex has been decent as of late. He is going to make his horrible throws from time to time, but he can move the team up and down the field when he's on a roll, and the team seems to be behind him. He will have 3 years in the offense by the time next season rolls around. I think your better off keeping him than trying to have some new vet come in here and start from scratch learning the offense. You just try to keep him from turning the ball over too much. He's going to throw his picks, but maybe they can be minimized. Obviously you can't just have the Rookie on your team, and John Beck for me is clearly not any kind of answer either...or is he?

Discuss my friends

It depends on how impressive the drafted quarterback looks in training camp, preseason etc. It also depends on how well Rex Grossman is playing at that point. I would think Shanahan would keep both Grossman and Beck. Beck may improve and develop in the system a little more. Clearly, he was not ready for game action this season. The final preseason game against the Bucs and the games against Panthers, Bills, and 49ers during the regular season revealed that about him.

But a potential rookie QB like Matt Barkley or RG3 could impress coaches in a hurry. If the Redskins select either of them, they could prove to be further along than Jay Cutler was before Shanahan inserted him in the starting lineup in Denver.

This is a tough one because there are so many variables. The integrity of the O Line is paramount, regardless who is under center but especially if we have a rookie. The QB getting the nod will have to possess a firm grasp of the system and have the support from the team. For whatever reason, this year's model supported Grossman and believed in him and did not share that sentiment for Beck. Turns out that they were right.

The draft class and where we fall in the pecking order will have a large part to play. Shanahan is going to be very selective, that's for sure. It doesn't look likely that we will have a shot at Luck, but we may at Barkley or RG III or someone else. I'm just not sure that anyone outside of Luck will be "NFL ready" once the season starts so unless the stars align, I see Grossman starting with the Rookie holding the clipboard. I'm not sure I see Beck wearing Burgundy and Gold past this year. It's possible that Shanahan would go after another veteran to serve as a "bridge" guy. In fact, I wouldn't put it past Synder to try and land Peyton Manning should he become available, which I don't believe would be a great idea. That said, it'll probably happen!

All depends on training camp and preseason

Absolutely

However, there is a real possibility that Rex could be the best option to start the season. I'm sure that will infruriate some. I'm not sure there is a QB we could draft at this point that could so quickly out perform Rex in the pre-season, and effectively "beat him out" for the job...right off the bat. For me I don't think you put the draft pick in if he isn't ready. Even if he is Barkley, Jones, or Griffin.

If either one of them is on the roster I'm going to want to slam my head through a wall. :ols:

I know, extremely short answer, but I figured I'd post the exact emotion that came over me with the thought of either of them starting even a single game for us next year :ols:

If either one of them is on the roster I'm going to want to slam my head through a wall. :ols:

I know, extremely short answer, but I figured I'd post the exact emotion that came over me with the thought of either of them starting even a single game for us next year :ols:

and that's the exact reason I wanted to start this thread, because I see Rex starting the season next year as a real possibility. Unless the draft pick blows the doors off everybody in pre-season. In either case, starting or not, I totally see Rex still on the roster next fall. Who are we going to get that's better and pick up the offense as quickly even in back up capacity?

As long as we do draft a rookie QB this year (hopefully in the 1st, definitely by the 2nd), I have no problems with Grossman starting off as our QB next season. In fact, I'd prefer a stop-gap vet such as Grossman to start the first month or so. This way the O-line has a chance to gel, since they're such a mess this year with all the injuries and certainly won't be the starting O-line next year.

Once we've hit the mid-way point (or the bye week, whichever), then you can decide if it's time to see what the rookie has. Maybe he gets some reps in a lost season, maybe Shanahan pulls a Cutler/Plummer and gets the rookie some reps at the cost of a playoff spot, maybe Grossman lights up the league and our shiny new QB sits and learns for a whole year. Whichever scenario unfolds, I'd rather not throw a rookie QB into the fire right away.

and that's the exact reason I wanted to start this thread, because I see Rex starting the season next year as a real possibility. Unless the draft pick blows the doors off everybody in pre-season. In either case, starting or not, I totally see Rex still on the roster next fall. Who are we going to get that's better and pick up the offense as quickly?

I'd rather pick up Josh Johnson than Rex. Seriously.

Or Chad Henne.

I'd rather pick up Josh Johnson than Rex. Seriously.

Or Chad Henne.

they don't know the offense though. What if there are personality conflicts? What if they can't do it, and Shanny has gone out on a limb with ANOTHER QB. See what I'm getting at? Rex might seriously be the best we can do. Honestly, if he could just cut back on the turnovers the guy really isn't that bad. I don't think he's the long-term answer, but yes he could be the 2012 short-term answer.

they don't know the offense though. What if there are personality conflicts? What if they can't do it, and Shanny has gone out on a limb with ANOTHER QB. See what I'm getting at? Rex might seriously be the best we can do. Honestly, if he could just cut back on the turnovers the guy really isn't that bad. I don't think he's the long-term answer, but yes he could be the 2012 short-term answer.

Rex isn't the best we can do. I'll NEVER buy that argument. This year was the exception due to a lack of FA. There were literally no other cost effective options. That isn't the case this year.

I think Rex starting Game 1 will likely be the best option....but if Rex is starting still come Week 8, 9, etc? I may club baby seals.

I have no problem with Rex starting the season to get the rookie ready, but if Rex continues his turnover ways and is still starting in week 8/9. I support the notion to club baby seals.

Matt Flynn from GB is slated to be a free agent at the end of this year. He hasn't had a lot of playing time, however he has spent time behind Rogers. In 2010 he saw more action and ended with an 82.5 QB rating. This isn't out of this world, but who knows.

Quote from ESPN Insider: Comment: Flynn has good size with average arm strength and athleticism. He doesn't have a powerful arm but can be accurate on his short and intermediate throws. He isn't a run threat but can slide in the pocket and make a play downfield when under duress. He is an intelligent, instinctive quarterback who performed well when he was given an opportunity.

Younger than Rex and has a better "recent" history than Beck.

Matt Flynn from GB is slated to be a free agent at the end of this year. He hasn't had a lot of playing time, however he has spent time behind Rogers. In 2010 he saw more action and ended with an 82.5 QB rating. This isn't out of this world, but who knows.

Quote from ESPN Insider: Comment: Flynn has good size with average arm strength and athleticism. He doesn't have a powerful arm but can be accurate on his short and intermediate throws. He isn't a run threat but can slide in the pocket and make a play downfield when under duress. He is an intelligent, instinctive quarterback who performed well when he was given an opportunity.

Younger than Rex and has a better "recent" history than Beck.

If he can be had be had for chump change then fine, but I'd prefer to keep Rex.

As long as Beck is outta here, then the merrier I'll be. Something tells me that Flynn will be resigned by The Packs.

...but I'd prefer to keep Rex.

and this is the conclusion I think many people are going to continue to come to if they think this through. 3 year veteran in the system, yes he turns the ball over too much, but he has proven that he can be pretty decent at times. If you have drafted your QB of the future, then why not continue to start Rex until the kid is ready to take over?

Maybe, just maybe...Rex even has a pretty decent year giving the rook a chance to sit and learn for a full season. Do we really want to take a chance with an unknown? We know who and what Rex is when it comes to his skills...do we take a shot with an unknown OTHER than a draft pick? I think not.

and this is the conclusion I think many people are going to continue to come to if they think this through. 3 year veteran in the system, yes he turns the ball over too much, but he has proven that he can be pretty decent at times. If you have drafted your QB of the future, then why not continue to start Rex until the kid is ready to take over?

Maybe, just maybe...Rex even has a pretty decent year giving the rook a chance to sit and learn for a full season. Do we really want to take a chance with an unknown? We know who and what Rex is when it comes to his skills...do we take a shot with an unknown OTHER than a draft pick? I think not.

Again, you and I are on different sides of the fence here. I can't endure another year of Rex Grossman. He won't have a decent year. It's the same Rex every single year. We're bad with Rex, and we know that. We can sign someone else to start prior to our rookie starting (assuming we get one AND he's not ready week one) and get the same horrid production or they may be able to actually hold on to the damn football. Rex's turnovers have cost us more than one game.

Beck? Really? Pretty sure Shanny would lose the locker room and maybe his job if he trotted him out again. Nice guy, wanted him to succeed, but he's done in the NFL.

I for the most part agree. I just threw him in because he is still on the team, and in case there was somebody out there still in his corner.

:ols:

---------- Post added December-13th-2011 at 09:26 AM ----------

Again, you and I are on different sides of the fence here. I can't endure another year of Rex Grossman. He won't have a decent year. It's the same Rex every single year. We're bad with Rex, and we know that. We can sign someone else to start prior to our rookie starting (assuming we get one AND he's not ready week one) and get the same horrid production or they may be able to actually hold on to the damn football. Rex's turnovers have cost us more than one game.

Fair enough man, but I suspect you might have to endure him for at least one more season in some capacity. :ols: We will see.

I'm just worried about the baby seals.

Archived