Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Who should be our Day #1 starting QB in 2012? What if Grossman or Beck is the best short-term option?

Commander PK

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Anything can happen. I think the Shanahan's keep Grossman as the Backup. Depends on training camp, how well the Draft pick does. Im all for the draft pick getting experience if he can take the pressure. Peyton Manning started right away and others. Some cant do it though, some fail. Again, Im for the experience if they believe the drafted QB is ready.

---------- Post added December-14th-2011 at 10:34 PM ----------

Chad Henne. Josh Johnson. Matt Flynn. Jason Campbell. Anyone.

Out of that list probably Flynn

I voted Rex assuming you meant the starter for the first week at least.

For me, you keep Rex and he probably starts next season. Depending on how he does, he starts all year while the top draft pick prepares to start in 2013.

That's fine

He is going to make his horrible throws from time to time...

And there's where you end his start... to backup... because bad Rex WILL surface. Think about it... we've only won 1 game at home this whole year (one loss from Beck also). And just forget about Beck.

What is the point of debating this topic when it's acceptable to say "he's going to make bad throws" or "other than his interceptions". Folks two turnovers a game is not acceptable. Maybe it could slide if he was putting up three touchdowns a game or more but that Aaron Rodgers production so don't hold your breath. Writing this off like its a minor issue is ridiculous.

He showed up out of shape on a contract year and turned the ball over like he'd get a bonus for it. He can't even throw a deep out and still is limited almost entirely to the middle of the field. This is a guy we want to sign to a longer contract? No.

If Rex is back its on a one year deal and he isn't allowed to compete for te starting job at all. He gets second team time from the start so a rookie or other QB can enter the season prepared. It makes no sense to split snaps for Rex. He isn't a starter.

Ideally we have something like what Tennessee did and draft a QB in the top 10, we sit him for a year. They went out and got a solid and very seasoned QB who can still keep them in contention while the young QB learns from the vet on what to do right, I don't think Shanahan has this kind of time, if he went out and got another QB while sitting our top 5 pick, im not sure fans would have patience for it, and this could end up with Shanahan on the hot seat which would be by far the worst thing that can happen to us if he got fired.

Do I want my new rookie QB to be learning from Rex Grossman? Probably not, but it looks like we have no choice, Rex mentoring or the QB starting. Rex seems like a good guy though, from what I've noticed (I obviously have never met the guy though) he seems charismatic, confident, and easy to get along with. He knows the system well and I think the players like him, I would at least keep him as a back up since he can be pretty okay at times. Beck showed flashes of being competent but we really don't have the time to try and see if that pans out and he isn't the answer moving forward.

I would probably just start him, I think QBs can still benefit from sitting a year, but im not sure they need it anymore, the bridge from college to pros isn't as big as it once was, they are competent to start day 1 usually and be at least pretty solid.

What is the point of debating this topic when it's acceptable to say "he's going to make bad throws" or "other than his interceptions". Folks two turnovers a game is not acceptable. Maybe it could slide if he was putting up three touchdowns a game or more but that Aaron Rodgers production so don't hold your breath. Writing this off like its a minor issue is ridiculous.

I agree two turnovers a game (sometimes worse) is not acceptable, and that it definately isn't a minor issue. What I'm saying is that I don't know if it's worth it to replace Rex at this point, if we do draft that top tier QB in April. There are lot of things to consider here, not just the turnovers.

1.) For whatever reason Rex seems to have the support of the locker room. 2.)There is no guarantee that whoever they replace him with will garner that same kind of support, and do they want to screw around with the team chemistry? 3.) There is no guarantee whoever they bring in picks up the offense, and Rex can at least move the team up and down the field when he gets on a roll. Lets be honest probably more than a 1/3 of his interceptions this year were not his fault.

He showed up out of shape on a contract year and turned the ball over like he'd get a bonus for it. He can't even throw a deep out and still is limited almost entirely to the middle of the field. This is a guy we want to sign to a longer contract? No.

That he turned up out of shape is debatable. No question he has his limitations, and I'm not advocating signing the guy to a long-term deal. Maybe another 1 year deal. I mean how many options does he really have? Edit: How many options do WE really have?

If Rex is back its on a one year deal and he isn't allowed to compete for te starting job at all. He gets second team time from the start so a rookie or other QB can enter the season prepared. It makes no sense to split snaps for Rex. He isn't a starter.

No way Shanny brings him back under that kind of pretense. I'm not sure the team shares your sentiment that he isn't a "starter." Bottom line, I'm not sure you bring in another vet to replace him unless you are convinced beyond any doubt that he can perform better right away, than Rex has when he has been at his best. Again, at this point, I don't think that Rex should be the answer beyond 2012 in any capacity other than possibly a back-up to whoever we draft, but he may be the best option to start the season weighing all considerations, and I stress ALL considerations. Rex will basically control his own destiny at that point. He will either have to play lights out all season, or the draft pick will replace him mid-season. His career for all intensive purposes will be over in the NFL. Washington really is his last chance, it's now or never.

A QB's job is a lot more complicated than just figuring out where the primary and secondary receivers are supposed to be on any given play. In addition to your own duties, you need to recognize defenses and know where all of your own players are supposed to line up. It is an extremely steep learnng curve. Whether or not a QB is ready is really only known to his coaches and his teammates, occasionally by the media and seldom, if ever, by the fans.

Yes, it's frustrating when you see the current QB make mistakes and your hopes for a new QB exceed reality. But it is always the coaches decision on whether the raw talent a new QB possesses and displays is greater than the experience the veteran brings. With a very high draft choice, as the next Redskin QB is probably going to be, the coaches and management always want to have their investment paying dividends quickly. But bringing a QB in before he's ready can be just as bad to the QB as to the team. You don't necessarily have to wait until the new QB is x number of times better than the current QB, but for his confidence and his long term career as a QB, the coaches have to bring him in when he's ready, not before.

I believe that we have already learned Beck's upside, although next year's pre-season is his last chance to show the coaches anything. I do not believe Rex is anyone but the SKins future backup. But starting game 1 next year is a decision that has to be left in the coaches hands. I am anxious to see a new QB, but currently, there's not a college QB who could could start on this offense for the Redskins over Rex, no matter how bad Rex is, no matter how much talent the new QB has. The knowledge of the Skins offense and recognition of opposing defenses is just not there today. Somewhere over the offseason and pre-season and season next year, the QB we draft will be ready. But whether it's game 1 or game 16, it's a decision that has to be left to the coaches, even if I hate the current QB's play. They're the ones who really know. "Anybody but the Rex and Beck wreck" is an argument, it's just not a viable one. I'll wait and hope that the new QB is ready game 1, but I don't have any problem if the coaches decision is based on facts and not on the emotions of the fanbase.

Re-sign Rex

Let Beck walk

Draft Luck or Griffin

Presuming we ride all year(2012) with only 2 QB's like we have all this season,let Rex & Luck/Griffin battle it out for the starting Job.

If we decide to go with 3 QB's,which is also a possibility. Then we should draft a 2nd rookie in the later rounds as an insurance policy. Let Beck walk....

I would look in the 4th round,since we carry 2 of them from Campbell trade. (might find great value there)

I personally like Kellen Moore out of Boise St. , but I'm sure there will be other QB's in the later rounds,who Shanahan might want to take. If we were to take Griffin,we might be looking for a more mobile QB that mirrors RGlll's ability. Kellen Moore is not very mobile.

If our Rookie beat out Rex,my depth chart would look like this with 3 QB's.

#1)Luck or Griffin

#2)Rex Grossman

#3)Rookie (4th RD or later)

That's what I personally, would do.

The QB position, is the one position I don't want to trade for....I don't want a FA like Flynn or some other dude people like....I don't want some castoff that we have continued to do for like....ever. (This includes trading for Manning or anyone)

I want my own dude from the draft.

Shanahan/Allen need to print out my sig and put it on their Refrigerators.

Lets form our own identity, please....

And there's where you end his start... to backup... because bad Rex WILL surface. Think about it... we've only won 1 game at home this whole year (one loss from Beck also). And just forget about Beck.

We actually have won 2. Giants week 1 and Cardinals week 2. How good it felt for 2 weeks. Let me live in that time instead.

I seriously disagree about drafting another late round QB. They already paid for Beck. The third QB is needed to run the scout team and to hold the clipboard. Beck, despite the need to go with Grossman, does know the offense and, if injuries occur, he becomes someone who can fill in for a game or two even if not the starter or the QB of the future.

I'd rather get an OL or CB for the practice squad than waste another pick on QB. See my sig for another reason. (Hint: Washington is the answer to the question.) Draft picks are too precious to waste on training camp fodder when there's a remote chance another guy may contribute and there's already a third QB on the roster (at least there will be after our first round pick). I'd rather have Beck riding the pine for the next two years than one of this year's 4th round draft choices.

Let's start with free agency:

1). Sign a stud receiver. We need a big, physical receiver. Getting one will make Moss, Armstrong, Hankerson even more effective.

2). Look over every free agent QB possible and make a determination as to whether any of them are better than Rex. If so, sign them to compete against Rex.

3). Shore up the offensive line thru free agency as best you can.

Draft:

1). Do whatever it takes to get one of the top QB's coming out. Even if we have to trade up. We are that desperate at QB.

2). Draft offensive linemen.

3). Look for a speedy, 3rd down back out of the backfield. Something defenses would have to game plan for. this RB would also preferably return punts/kicks.

4). Do not draft a single WR...not one.

Next season:

QB- Grossman, Matt Barkley

RB- Helu, Hightower, (3rd down scat back from draft).

TE: F. Davis, Cooley (reduced salary)

WR: Vincent Jackson, Moss, Hankerson, Armstrong, Gaffney, Paul

If we got Barkley in the draft he could start on opening day. Same as Cam Newton and Andy Dalton.

Then, we'd have a future to look forward to.

Let's start with free agency:

1). Sign a stud receiver. We need a big, physical receiver. Getting one will make Moss, Armstrong, Hankerson even more effective. (I would target DeWayne Bowe)

2). Look over every free agent QB possible and make a determination as to whether any of them are better than Rex. If so, sign them to compete against Rex. (I would sign ZERO free agent QB's)

3). Shore up the offensive line thru free agency as best you can. (I would target Carl Nicks (NO) - OG, Ben Grubbs (BAL) - OG, Jeff Saturday (IND) - OC although I do like the way Montgomery has done so far)

Draft:

1). Do whatever it takes to get one of the top QB's coming out. Even if we have to trade up. We are that desperate at QB. (I agree 100% with this...)

2). Draft offensive linemen. (Yes...look for some good value in the later rounds. Specially at Tackle,with Trent Williams future here in question now unfortunately)

3). Look for a speedy, 3rd down back out of the backfield. Something defenses would have to game plan for. this RB would also preferably return punts/kicks. (This is one position, I don't think we need at all now with the emergence of Helu. Hightower comes back and Royster looks goo as well and we still carry ATV. But Shanny loves to take mid-round shots at running backs,so I see us doing it anyways)

4). Do not draft a single WR...not one. (I agree 100% with this statement)

Next season:

QB- Grossman, Matt Barkley Sorry King daddy...No way...We might as well put Kerrigan,Orakpo and Helu on the front cover of Madden 2013 with that decision. Drafting a USC QB is just asking to get Shuler-Bombed.....No...No./...Do EVERYTHING we have too do,to land Luck or RGlll..EVERYTHING

RB- Helu, Hightower, (3rd down scat back from draft). (I don't think we need a RB now...)

TE: F. Davis, Cooley (reduced salary) (looks good except i would dangle Davis now,just to see his trade value...He could be used to move up for a QB possibly be it Rams at #2 for Bradford...we could Tag him in a deal...so yes...Davis Pot smoking just became trade bait for me imo...the risk in keeping him is too HIGH, to not at the very least...entertain offers)

WR: Vincent Jackson, Moss, Hankerson, Armstrong, Gaffney, Paul (I would rather have DeWayne Bowe or I hate to say it...DeSean Jackson over Vincent Jackson)

If we got Barkley in the draft he could start on opening day. Same as Cam Newton and Andy Dalton.

Then, we'd have a future to look forward to.

(The only way I LOOK at Barkley is if getting Luck or RGlll is impossible. And even then,the only way I'm drafting him...is if I trade down,which is what we should do if we can't get Luck or RGlll...and if he's still there AFTER we've landed extra picks trading down...then YES..I would pull the trigger then. No way I'm drafting Barkley with a top 5 Pick.Heck..I would draft Blackman before Barkley and we don't want to draft a WR. I would almost rather target Ryan Tannehill or Foles in the 2nd before reaching on Barkley with a top 5 pick. But later in the 1st...I could do that....So NO...We need to go after the prize, kingdaddy)

(The only way I LOOK at Barkley is if getting Luck or RGlll is impossible. And even then,the only way I'm drafting him...is if I trade down,which is what we should do if we can't get Luck or RGlll...and if he's still there AFTER we've landed extra picks trading down...then YES..I would pull the trigger then. No way I'm drafting Barkley with a top 5 Pick.Heck..I would draft Blackman before Barkley and we don't want to draft a WR. I would almost rather target Ryan Tannehill or Foles in the 2nd before reaching on Barkley with a top 5 pick. But later in the 1st...I could do that....So NO...We need to go after the prize, kingdaddy)

I appreciate your feedback. Couple of debatable points to address: 1). I'd keep Rex around as an option in case of injury or if the rookie is not ready to start. 2). I threw Vincent Jackson's name in there as an example of a FA WR but I'd take almost any big play guy who's pro bowl caliber. I like Bowe but Jackson isn't very big and wants Larry Fitz money. 3). I like Barkley. He reminds me a lot of Joe Montana when he was at Notre Dame.....looks like a winner. That being said, I'm no expert on who's better than who as a pro prospect. 4). I'm with you on Fred Davis and Trent Williams; consider trading them if you think they're at risk for future long term suspensions.

I can hardly believe I am saying this, but I really think that Grossman has shown me enough to be the "default" starter for 2012, and I think it's best the best move for the franchise...why?

1. The QB we draft will not likely be ready, and even if he is, we might ruin him if he plays too early.

2. Although I hope we contend next season, on paper, we will likely be a year away from any potential for going deep into the playoffs. What's the rush to put a rookie in Day One if there are ample chances for him to learn the playbook, and get accustomed to the league?

3. I think the "you must earn your starting job" message is a good one. Grossman is not a long term answer but he has shown enough leadership in the locker room, and played well enough at times, to be the guy until a new QB beats him out.

Just my ten cents.

Is there any QB we would rather have start for us from last years draft?

Maybe Dalton?

A QB from last years draft we would rather have than Rex right now? Dalton certainly - but I would rather have Newton over Dalton and add in Locker as well. Ponder has done some good things as well. I would take those 4 over Rex right now.

Gabbert has struggled (though he looked better last week) even allowing for a shoddy coaching effort and supporting cast so even though I really like Gabbert going into the draft I can't hand on heart say Id take him over Rex right at this moment.

Just read an article where RGIII wants to go to law school after Baylor. He said something about trying out for the Olympics and that the NFL is plan B for him. Could be a possibility that he doesn't even go to the NFL?

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-12-14/robert-griffin-iii-named-sporting-news-player-of-the-year

Griffin, who enrolled at Baylor in January of 2008 and redshirted in 2009 after a knee injury, will earn his master’s degree this spring in corporate communications. He will petition the NCAA to allow him to go to law school while he plays his senior season and trains to get onto the 2012 Olympics team to compete in the 400-meter hurdles.

The NFL—where he’ll likely be a top 10 pick—can wait.

“You gotta have a plan, but realize that plans don’t always work out. Plan B is the NFL,” Griffin says.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-12-14/robert-griffin-iii-named-sporting-news-player-of-the-year#ixzz1gdxEoDrv

Archived