Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

3rd and 21.. clearly the play of the game.. Fault Haslett?

shakinaiken

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Hall rips ref, coaches after Redskins loss

Even though I think he is right about the eight men formation, he better look at himself too, and learn how to cover the receivers when a QB is throwing deep.

It was a bad facemask call. 5 yards at most. However, Dez Bryant beat DHall like a dusty rug all night. He's just way too big for DeAngelo. Bad matchup.

The old saying of " going to the well too often" comes to mind. The play before Dez converts the 3rd and a mile was a blitz and the receiver ran the wrong route; Haslett called another blitz, and well, we all saw what happened.

I'M 50/50 on the performance overall, I thought they played a super game for 3-3/4 qtrs, then the 3-0 bug jumped up and bit them in the butt. We can praise the same people we are blaming, it all boils down to execution...

Considering the state of the game, it was a very, very risky almost stupid, call. Not one I would have made. You just can't give them an opportunity to convert like that on 3rd and 21. This is professional football, it just shouldn't be happening.

As soon as Romo sits to pee evaded the rush you could just see what was going to happen. Haslett needs to play call smarter than that.

Mind you, i didn't think the offensive play calling in second half after our TD was much better. We seemed to forget we had a running game.

Its a bad call with our without hindsight. As we were lining up I was shouting at the TV "don't bltiz" - I would not have gone pure prevent but it was crying out for a cover 3 look which we have played a lot in the past anyway. I just don't think we felt their receivers could beat our corners.

I didn't like the call given the game situation. Aggression needs to be tempered with wisdom and it wasn't a wise choice; Dallas were already in a hole, there was no need to dig it any deeper at that point in the game. What I expect is for Haslett to learn from this mistake instead of repeating it, and if he doesn't learn from it maybe Shanny should have a quiet word in his ear about it.

I don't blame the D I blame the call that was made on 3rd and 21. They throw an incompletion great or if you give them something underneath and they get 10 or 12 yards make them go for on 4th and then blitz him if you want. There is a lot more pressure on 4th down than 3rd down. Two blitzes in a row kind of predictable when QB knows it is coming he knows he has to buy some time. That was what Homo did and that was what beat us.

the most obvious sign that we are still the same ol' redskins is that everyone watching that game knew they were converting 3rd and 21. Everyone.

If you were sitting there thinking to yourself "3rd and 21" man these are like impossible to convert int he NFL", then you were sipping the kool aide too much.

You can blame haslett til your blue in the face but you could have rushed two and the skins would have let them convert that play. They are the same team. Until they can stop a team on a 3rd and 21 when it is likely the ball game, they are the same team we have seen for two decades.

P.S. If you are like me, and actually saw 3rd and 21 and said "oh crap, watch witten or bryant go for a score here" then you are also saying, like me saying "Watch, we choke in St. Louis".

We haven't learned to be winners yet. I stress yet. They are a better, more talented, fast team. Unfortunately guys like Kerrigan got their first lesson in how to be a real redskin tonight. Botch opportunitiy after opportunity to seize a HUGE game. Go dance on the star and run your mouth all week and let the center make 5 missed snaps to the opposing QB with broken ribs and not recover one of them (and even let him complete a ridiculous pass on one). Botch an easy field goal. Drop interceptions. Get away from the run. Hold the ball too long, stare down middle linebackers just begging to intercept you, and fumble twice instead of throwing the ball out of bounds smartly. Talk crap and then choke. That's what they learned again. This is a classic choke job. 3rd and 21 was just a perfect example of it. But the whole game was just a huge opportunity to turn the corner on the rebuild. And when the skins are about to gain their respect, about to become relevant, they start chirping like they already are relevant and then demonstrate why we aren't.

Today, we are not even the Washington Redskins, we are "Romo sits to pee's opponent" because we didn't take advantage of this huge opportunity to go 3-0, to beat an injured and oft confused WR corps, to hit an injured QB who was obviously hurt, to pick up one of 6 loose balls from bad snaps and strips, to punch it in on 1st and goal after a huge recovery in their end, etc etc. Missed opportunities. How long have we been hearing that. Its the same thing. They are the same thing they have been for the last 20 years.

I liked the blitz call on 3rd and 21 (maybe not sending 8) but in general I agree with the scheme/principle of the play. If the pressure gets there Romo sits to pee has to get rid of the ball quickly thus there is not way he can throw for 21 yards (or more). The execution by the offense in the blitz pick up was much better than anyone thought it would be so kudos to Dallas for making the play. Personally, I would have sent 6 at him but I don't fault Haslett too much for the idea of the play. Gergg Williams goes for a big blitz on almost any 3rd and long situation moreofthen than not you win by holding the offense to a modest gain due to the quick throw by the QB.

Had no problem with the call. If memory serves,(which is tricky when it comes to the "day after"),it wasn't the first time he called that in the game and the play had worked before. If anything,he dialed up several similar blitzes during the game that worked. This one should have. DHall lost track of Bryant for a split second and that's all it takes sometimes.

You have to love the confidence Haslett has in our defense to call that play, but you have to wonder if his mind slipped from reality for a second. I've never considered D Hall capable of playing a physical one-on-one. He completely relies on help over the top so he can jump routes. Not blanket a guy and break up passes. Maybe he works fine against a less physical WR, but IMO there should have been a safety to help him. He's a chance taker. Not a shut down corner.

Had no problem with the call. If memory serves,(which is tricky when it comes to the "day after"),it wasn't the first time he called that in the game and the play had worked before. If anything,he dialed up several similar blitzes during the game that worked. This one should have. DHall lost track of Bryant for a split second and that's all it takes sometimes.

Your memory is somewhat working correct. The play worked once before due to Josh Wilson making a heck of a play. Otherwise, the all out blitz didn't really do what it needed to do. We went to the well too many times and it was a terrible call in that situation. Putting three guys in coverage on 3rd and 21 is stupid.

I don't know how I feel about the defensive play call by Haslett. I guess he was giving Hall too much credit, thinking he could cover Bryant 1on1. During any other situation, yeah sending the heat on 3rd and forever to end the drive sounds like good call. Hall just couldn't cover his end of the deal. Every time his man made a catch, he would just hug them to death. Then he'd get up after almost every play and starting yapping his mouth.

But as far as the play call, hey it was a gamble and we lost.

All out blitz probably too aggressive at that point, Landry gets tied up with a LB, so it took way too long to get to Romo sits to pee, he makes a nice play and we end up losing.

Just as many would complain if we rush 3, and they march down the field...

Skins are a good team, they let one get away.

I liked the blitz call on 3rd and 21 (maybe not sending 8) but in general I agree with the scheme/principle of the play. If the pressure gets there Romo sits to pee has to get rid of the ball quickly thus there is not way he can throw for 21 yards (or more). The execution by the offense in the blitz pick up was much better than anyone thought it would be so kudos to Dallas for making the play. Personally, I would have sent 6 at him but I don't fault Haslett too much for the idea of the play. Gergg Williams goes for a big blitz on almost any 3rd and long situation moreofthen than not you win by holding the offense to a modest gain due to the quick throw by the QB.

I agree. I don't think the call was that bad either. Its 3rd and 21. You make him throw hot and then tackle a guy. Its not rocket science. As for giving credit to Dallas I find it disturbing that we are the team that allows every opponent to find the thing they couldn't do until they met us. What did they have like 4 35 + yard runs on us? Coming into the game they haven't popped one for 8 yards. They talked all week about hitting and pressuring Romo sits to pee. They failed. They hit grossman as predicted and we couldn't run it on them as predicted. Its so frustrating. We should have been hitting Romo sits to pee all damn game and if we couldn't because he was throwing short/fast routes, we should have been forcing them three and out and stopping the damn run. Overall the defense played pretty well but alot of that was just Dallas' ineptitude with not knowing the plays, the backup center snapping it wrong multiple times etc. But when crunch time came we could be counted on for allowing the huge crippling play against us and choking away our opportunity to respond. Which is exactly what we did.

---------- Post added September-27th-2011 at 08:43 AM ----------

All out blitz probably too aggressive at that point, Landry gets tied up with a LB, so it took way too long to get to Romo sits to pee, he makes a nice play and we end up losing.

Just as many would complain if we rush 3, and they march down the field...

Skins are a good team, they let one get away.

"skins are a good team"

Where are you getting this from and what are you basing it on? Is it because we "kept it close" with Dallas' backups?

You leave your defensive backs vulnerable. In context, the earlier calls were at points in the game where we had plenty of time to rectify the result. With 2 minutes to go and your opponent out of FG range, it is as dumb a call as there is pretty much. Haslett knows Hall had been abused by Dez 1-on-1 all night, so why put them 1 -on -1 in a situation like that? There is no justifiable reason for that call. Casserly rightfully called Haslett a clown.

---------- Post added September-27th-2011 at 08:46 AM ----------

They talked all week about hitting and pressuring Romo sits to pee. They failed. They hit grossman as predicted ...

---------- Post added September-27th-2011 at 08:43 AM ----------

"skins are a good team"

Where are you getting this from and what are you basing it on? Is it because we "kept it close" with Dallas' backups?

Romo sits to pee certainly took several shots all game long.

Archived