Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

3rd and 21.. clearly the play of the game.. Fault Haslett?

shakinaiken

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I hate to say it but this team has yet again got my hopes up only to have reality come crashing down on me. The defense is just okay, would have been a whole lot different had Austin been active and had their center been even remotely adequate. I feel like we just wore down on both sides of the ball as the game went on.

Offensively, Rex was bad. That said, the play calling was predictable and if we can't get 4 yards on a first down run, this is going to be a long ugly season. Our running game seems to be either 1-2 yards or 9 to 10 yards... we either open a lane or we don't, I'm not sure if its just the nature of our running scheme or if Hightower and Helu just aren't great at fighting for extra yardage, but seeing 2nd and 9 all game isn't going to cut it. And again, the play calling was just dreadful, it was conservative when we needed to be aggressive, and aggressive when we needed to maintain drives.

The defense is just okay. Orakpo and Kerrigan need to be able to get pressure without sending two extra guys. There's two ways to look at all the snapping problems the cowboys had. Yes, they got lucky and recovered every single one of them, but had they been able to snap the ball, say... like a normal NFL team should be able to, we would have been in even worse situations than we were. We totally lost our intensity in the second half, even with the stops on the goal line.

It was the classic Redskins game though, play not to lose. Funny how it always seems to have the same result. I'm thinking we got the Giants on an off day and Arizona basically stinks.

Terrible, awful, mindboggling call. I dont know what Haslett was thinking.

i will play devils advocate her... decent call, with that many blitzers, Romo sits to pee has no choice but to throw a prayer- whcih he did( and resulted in an int last time). This time Romo sits to pee throw a another desperate floater, and unfortunately Bryant made a play on the ball

One of the worst defensive calls I've ever seen....how can I sit in my living room, never having coached a football game and be screaming for the D to back up and cover and he doesn't know to do that...you blitz to get it into 3rd and long...then you back your ass off and cover....probably doubling their best best reciever, who happened to catch the ball...hopefully he will learn from this and not cost us another game....If you put this on Grossman you have no knowledge of the game.

I am confused. You are not blaming Rex but the defense? The defense who gave up zero TDs and stopped them twice inside the 10? Hmmmn, interesting. Their is plenty of blame to go around and Rex deserves his fair share.

This loss isn't the DEFENSIVE PLAYERS fault AT ALL.

HOWEVER, Haslett's call on 3-21 was terrible. Yes, the game was tight. Sure the Rocca fumbled snap was a problem. BUT, after all the fight, after all the mistakes ON BOTH SIDES, you have ONE play you need to stop them... and you don't double their only deep threat? You allow a receiver ~6 inches taller than D. Hall alone on an island? Of course Romo sits to pee is going to throw up a prayer. How can Haslett be confident D. Hall is going to stop that play? I think D. Hall is a great corner, but stopping a jump ball is not his game. Roll Atogowe to that side, or keep both safeties deep. SOMETHING other than blitzing 8. The play call was overly aggressive to the point of stupidity.

Great call. Romo sits to pee made a play.

Are you trolling? With 2 minutes left, up by a point, and your opponent out of FG range by a long shot, you absolutely do NOT take the risk of leaving anyone 1-on-1 deep on 3rd and 21. That is basic football. Basic, basic, common sense. A simple prevent and we probably win. I was irate after the play.

I know you're trolling, nobody could believe that was a smart decision. A+.

Simple guys ..

You've nailed the problem with this thread.

A bunch of simple guys are posting in it..

Why do you blitz?

It had worked all damn night, that's why. You have a center who is pissing his PANTS and snapping the ball at random for cryin' out loud. Romo sits to pee is hurt.

for years we scream that the Prevent prevents nothing, we watch teams drive on us in the end of games for years and we scream for pressure.

We get it and the board cries when they make a play.

And again, I'll point out, if the special teams coach can drill his players to do an automatic snap hold, this thread doesn't even exist.

~Bang

Ok so it's 3rd and 21. Jim Haslett calls an all out blitz.

Completely agree. That's two games in a row now where they've gotten burned on it.

Fitzgerald last week and Bryant this week.

3rd and 21 and they get 30? Wouldn't it be better to blitz one guy or nobody and have them get a 21 yard play?

Got shockingly little pressure on Romo sits to pee against a weak o-line.

Defense got it done though. 6 FGs on the road? 18 pts? Good job.

If we get Romo sits to pee and stop them then Haslett is a hero. Blame the red zone offense for this ****ing debacle. They got their pts. off FG'S, Blame boy wonder and his non-aggressive play calling.

By that point in the game, there is nothing to be done about all that. We, in spite of all that, were in position to win and that call gave Dallas their only chance to convert. You think if we go prevent, they convert a play of over 21 yards?

If we get Romo sits to pee and stop them then Haslett is a hero. Blame the red zone offense for this ****ing debacle. They got their pts. off FG'S, Blame boy wonder and his non-aggressive play calling.

Hey, we managed a TD.

Oh hell, why am I arguing for the offense? They were the very reason we lost.

This might be the most hyperbolic thread ever, btw.

you can say we make that play and game is over, but given the time left Dallas would have gone for it on 4th down as well. Still, even Gruden and Jaws were implying it was a very unusal call to make in that situation. The bottom line for me is w/so many Dallas miscues on offense in that game, we should have won outright to begin with, ***sigh***

3-21. All out blitz. You lost the game. Singlehandeldy. Could we have scored a td or more, Sure. But this is a typical tough NFC east game. Thats how this games go. You dont get pretty. You play tough. Haslestt lost it. And only him remember that. 3rd and 21 and all out blitz with single coverage...

hellllll nooooo meangelo hall blew it...hasnt made a play all year, talked smack, and got burned twice, and on this play he added a facemask...that is solely on execution or lack there of...and the offense SETTLING FOR FG's

You are failing to take into account the situation. If you want to play hard ball in the 2nd quarter, fine. With 2 minutes left in the 4th and up by a point, you play it SMART and play a prevent there and let them get their 10 yards and 4th and long. Instead you give them the once chance to get the big play. Hall 1-on-1 with any halfass receiver is a mismatch.

That was a horrible, horrible decision.

That's all in assuming you cover it. The blitz didn't get home and it killed them. Romo sits to pee had all day and probably would have completed it with even less pressure.

Hindsight is 20/20 and we don't know what would have happened. It's easy to second guess one play. However, it was working all night. Haslett merely went with his bread and butta'.

Guys, if you're going to fault Haslett for that than you have to fault Shanahan, because he's the one who can over rule any defense that's called.

But that's ridiculous. Our blitzing was the reason we held them in check for most of the night. They made a play, get over it. Move on.

Sending 8 was ridiculous! But I agree that this game was lost as a team effort. We have way more weapons than they, and yet we managed to only get one freaking TD. This team the last two weeks has lacked the ability to get into a rhythm and keep drives alive. We may have great T.O.P., but we don't have the ability to put our foot on the throats of opposing defenses and put the hammer down!

I would just like to one year before I die, see a Redskins team that has a killer instinct like the Skins of '91! I know I'm probably expecting too much for this year (I mean, everyone was predicting a 6-10 season), but I would just like to see that one more time before I die. Imagine the pride of walking off the field in DallASS tonight, the hushed crowd, and the pride of knowing that we beat them in THEIR house! Oh .. and shutting up all of the idiots on BSPN whom, across the board, picked the Girls to win! Now, we've got to put up with another week of Tony-Romo sits to pee-the-miracle-worker bull****! They were a laughingstock tonight, and yet they beat us with SIX FREAKING FIELD GOALS!!

.. and Kyle ...! I was NOT impressed with his playcalling tonight. Nor against the Cardinals, for that matter. Aside from the first possession -- which was a great series until it ended in us not scoring a TD after moving into the red zone -- and the first possession of the second half, his playcalling tonight was awful! He had better step it up BIG TIME! And they absolutely can NOT run a 2:00 offense to save their lives! They blew it before the half, and they blew it in the last possession! They were taking :15-:25 seconds between each play! Absolutely ridiculous!

Archived