Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

3rd and 21.. clearly the play of the game.. Fault Haslett?

shakinaiken

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

It wasn't a bad call, but the reason it worked out for us is nobody came from the outside. The Skins were too bunched in and that allowed Romo sits to pee freedom enough to get right and find Dez in the single-coverage. Just a tough result to deal with.

This single one play wasn't the doom. The play that lost us the game was Sav Racca not handling the ball on the FG attempt. This all out blitz on a 3rd and 21 was a assinine call and I think Hazlett made a stupid decision to call it, and I think London Fletcher not audibling out of that play was even more stupid. The fact remain's for some reason the Redskins SUCK on Sunday and Monday night games, period. And why Kyle Shannahan doesn't dial up long throws to spread the defense out is also a dumb move. Dallas has a great front 7 and Kyles formations and plays allowed them to stack the box 90% of the game and you wonder why the running game was basically non existent but yet Felix get's over 100 yards cause they spread things out and allowed themselves a better chance on cutbacks. Not us though Kyle is too stupid to do that.................

I can't believe people think that was a good call. Shocking. He had called that on the previous drive and the previous play!! It just doesn't make sense. Making that call on 3rd and 21 when the Cowboys have 2 plays to get the 1st down or the GAME IS OVER, that is a terrible call. I've hated Haslett since day 1. The hate continues. He is not a good coordinator. He gets passive when he shouldn't - as we saw last week against Arizona. He is too aggressive when he shouldn't be. He doesn't acknowledge the situation and adapt his play calling to it.

TMQ has a good passage about this call. He compared it to a similar call that left Andre Johnson relatively open for one-on-one play on the ball.

There was no need to have an eight-man blitz/front in that situation. Just as there was no need on 4th down vs. the Texans.

In fact, TMQ broke down the blitz #s from that Texans game last year. This year, you can't even argue that our D needs to do that on a regular basis to make up for lack of familiarity with coverage.

We didn't have to blitz to contain the play. We didn't learn from last year.

I think you have to put some of the blame on the Skins defenders rather than blame it all on the coach. ANYTIME you send that may guys, it's up to somebody to get through and get through quickly. Because the Cowboys' original call looked to be something short to Dez, they had solid protection against the blitz with 5 down and 2 in the backfield. Romo sits to pee scrambled and sent Dez up the field and he took advantage of the 1-on-1 with Hall.

It's bad enough they got the first down but wut made it hurt more was the 15yrds tacked onto that by a bad call from the ref. With out those 15yrds they are out of field goal range.

True...but they had plenty of time to gain 10 more yards. I would argue that we got a break that they were in field goal range before that. It left more time on the clock for us to mount a FG drive. Dallas did us a favor by simply running into the line of scrimmage 3 times after gaining that first down to the 25 yard line.

I think you have to put some of the blame on the Skins defenders rather than blame it all on the coach. ANYTIME you send that may guys, it's up to somebody to get through and get through quickly. Because the Cowboys' original call looked to be something short to Dez, they had solid protection against the blitz with 5 down and 2 in the backfield. Romo sits to pee scrambled and sent Dez up the field and he took advantage of the 1-on-1 with Hall.

No excuses, Haslet knows his personnel and he knows what happened last week with Larry Fitzgerald. We hit Kolb and he still completed the pass for a TD. Dallas was without Miles Austin I like our chances playing coverage on 3rd and 21. I think if we did that we would have stopped them on 4th to. I remember before the snap I said "This is the game right here" once I saw that idiotic blitz I knew it was over.

Define a bad call.

One where the risk outweighs the potential reward.

---------- Post added September-27th-2011 at 02:23 PM ----------

No excuses, Haslet knows his personnel and he knows what happened last week with Larry Fitzgerald. We hit Kolb and he still completed the pass for a TD. Dallas was without Miles Austin I like our chances playing coverage on 3rd and 21. I think if we did that we would have stopped them on 4th to. I remember before the snap I said "This is the game right here" once I saw that idiotic blitz I knew it was over.

Thing is there are more options than sitting back playing coverage...and sending the house. I would have been fine with a blitz as long as it wasn't go for broke.

yup... Haslett has the right call what Cowboys were going to do.. actually Haslett had a too perfect of a call so much that Romo sits to pee couldnt even attempt to execute their original play.... when the players on the opposing side starts improvising and adapting to break down of the play, its up to the players at that point to make the play.. you cant blame the coach.

Romo sits to pee did that.

I don't know what game you guys were watching but I see why it looks like he made a play especially when all of the blitzers get picked up. For whatever reason when the Redskins blitz no matter who the coach is, they must be coached to try to get blocked. Its been like that for years.

Nothing wrong with blitzing just dont send the house in that situation. I really thought people were going to drop back back but he really sent everybody.

Any NFL quarterback with that coverage and time makes that throw every time. Even Rex Grossman.

That's an interesting definition of a bad call but imo its too generic for football.

How is it too generic for football?

What are the risks of sending 8 and leaving DBs in single coverage with no help?

What are the potential rewards?

I think that kind of analysis is appropriate for a number football decisions...going for it on 4th down, kicking long field goals, etc

What are the risks of sending 8 and leaving DBs in single coverage with no help?

I think that kind of analysis is appropriate for a number football decisions...going for it on 4th down, kicking long field goals, etc

Football plays are much more specific then risk/reward.

Because the reward for every play is the same.

No coach calls a play and expects the reward to be negative.

Imo to look at wether a play call was good/bad depends on the situation and the design of the play.

You force the ball out quickly and make the tackle short of the sticks or you get a sack or throw away.

The blitz was designed to get quick pressure on the QB; it failed.

On the back end you expect your DB to hold up in coverage and not give the QB a place to throw the ball quickly; that failed.

Its a pressure defense, its an aggresive call.

But if the players fail to execute any play can look like a bad call.

My point is that there is nothing wrong with the design nor the thought process of the call to consider it a 'bad' call.

The result was terrible because it was poorly executed.

it could have been 4 down territory for dallas, so you play soft and give them 10-11 yards then they get a decent shot to convert 4th and keep it going. you sell out and force a hurried incompletion (which happened a lot during the game) especially since none of dallas' receivers had done anything all night then they probably punt.

Risks vs. Potential Rewards...

The biggest risk is a TD pass and the biggest reward is a defensive TD...you could make that argument for 95% of play calls in the NFL. I don't think it's a great way to determine what a good play call is.

You have to weigh the risk, reward, and the odds that each of those outcomes occurs. Based on our body of evidence last night, the most likely outcome from sending the house after Romo sits to pee was either an incompletion or short completion (less than 6-7 yards). That's assuming the center didn't snap the ball too early or the WRs ran the correct routes. We had them on the ropes and really didn't want to do them any favors by giving Romo sits to pee time to look over a zone and find an open man.

Everyone who watched that game realizes that the actual outcome of that play was the exception and one of the least likely outcomes one would have predicted. That's literally the only time one of our blitzes resulted in a negative big play.

Hall was the one that turned his back to Romo sits to pee and Bryant took advantage of it.

Yeah so calling a play the cowpokes had already seen numerous times and foolishly putting a corner on an Island with their best physical WR with no safety help should be ignored and the blame should fall on the corner that for some reason is receiving an incredible amount of hate from local fans.

---------- Post added September-27th-2011 at 03:19 PM ----------

I can't fault haslett he called a great game and went for the pressure. Think about it. Normally to complete a pass play of 20+ yards you need more than a 3 step drop. You need time to throw the ball so why not bring the pressure and rely on your cb's to make a play. He did that and Hall didn't make a play. Game over :)

I can. And sportsreporters in the post game interview also asked why did Hase-lit blitz both safeties instead of using them to provide support.

No one is saying use a prevent defense at that point. Blitzing both OLB should have been sufficient at 3rd and 21.

Archived