Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

3rd and 21.. clearly the play of the game.. Fault Haslett?

shakinaiken

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Football fans always play the blame game. It is what it is. Haslett's D has been the best on 3rd down in football & he's blitzed all year. When he blitzed the house deep in NY territory week one & it turned into an INT/TD you applaud him. They blitzed heavy to one side & Romo sits to pee rolled away & found Bryant. It is what it is. I love his mindset to bring the house, try to hit the QB, force the TO... Blaming Haslett is very short sided in my honest opinion. The defense has been a strength but weakens late against the run. Im worried vs Jackson/Rams Sunday..

Yeah so calling a play the cowpokes had already seen numerous times and foolishly putting a corner on an Island with their best physical WR with no safety help should be ignored and the blame should fall on the corner that for some reason is receiving an incredible amount of hate from local fans.

I don't hate Hall but he knew was alone and don't make fundamental mistakes like turning your back on the QB. Fletcher was a few feet from Romo sits to pee before he threw the pass to Bryant. Suppose Hall did cover Bryant, even if it was for a few seconds? and yeah he grab the face mask adding insult to injury. Hall is trying to make this all about him. That's why fans aren't please with him.

He talks about hitting Romo sits to pee's ribs and it came back and bit him. For me, life is too short to be angry at some football player that not only cares about himself but would leave the team tomorrow. It was a risk/reward play and it didn't work for the Redskins....what more can you say?

No issues with the aggressive call at all. As the old saying goes, prevent defense prevents you from winning. My issue is with the design and/or execution of the blitz. First off, Dez Bryant was lined up to the right, so you know Romo sits to pee's first inclination will be to look his way. Secondly, say what you want about Romo sits to pee, but he does have good pocket awareness and has always moved well in the pocket to avoid the rush.

Now, at the snap of the ball, either by design or by poor execution, the majority of our blitzers come on a backside rush. In my opinion, this is where the play went bad. Romo sits to pee sees the blitz coming pre-snap, and then upon snapping, sees everyone coming from the backside. He rolls right to buy himself time, which also happens to coincide with where Dez Bryant was lined up in man coverage.

In this situation, my opinion is that you have to come with a front side blitz in Romo sits to pee's face. This accomplishes a few things: it immediately forces him to start moving to his left, away from his prime target. If he chooses to still throw to his right, he'd have to get it over the top of some leaping DL and LB's. Lastly, if he does move left, it forces him to throw moving to his left, across his body.

I feel that sitting in a prevent defense would've allowed them to gain at least 15 yards on 3rd down. Given the game situation, they probably would've gone for it on 4th and 6 - who knows what happens in that situation.

As always, hindsight is 20/20, but I personally feel that the aggressive call is OK. A blitzing team will live and die by the blitz. I hope this doesn't deter Haslett from blitzing in the future, just hope for better design and execution.

You are failing to take into account the situation. If you want to play hard ball in the 2nd quarter, fine. With 2 minutes left in the 4th and up by a point, you play it SMART and play a prevent there and let them get their 10 yards and 4th and long. Instead you give them the once chance to get the big play. Hall 1-on-1 with any halfass receiver is a mismatch.

That was a horrible, horrible decision.

It was the right call all day and twice on Sunday.YOU haven't been around long enough to see us lose these games because WE SENT 3 and had 8 defensive backs.We need to dictate to an offense not play any kind of PREVENT!

---------- Post added September-27th-2011 at 05:28 PM ----------

wait, wait, wait....

i just read the subheader for the poll:

"Was the 3rd and 21 all out blitz the worst call you've ever seen?"

117 people here must have just started watching the redskins or maybe should temper their emotions, i submit for the record:

swinging-gate-gate.jpg

now please: keep calm and carry on

LOL....that almost worked

Haslett probably sent the blitz also thinking that it was 4 down situation for dallas and if you play underneath, you would expect to see a 4th and 10 or something like that. If you blitz on 3rd and hit them, they wouldn't go for it seeing they would be near what the 30?

congratulations, you've reached the nirvana that people who actually think about the situation instead of just saying "i wouldn't have done that on madden!!!!!"

4th and 10 because you were in prevent and all of the sudden you're too passive and you're playing not to lose instead of playing to win.

4th and 21, they're probably punting.

Possible outcomes:

Blitz = incompletion or sack (let's say, 60% of the time)

Blitz = short to medium gain of 5-10 yards (let's say, 30% of the time)

Blitz = give up long play of 20+ yards (lets say 10% of the time)

The percentages were clearly in Hazlett's favor. It just backfired is all. Remember the game where the Redskins faced a 3rd-and-27 but Brunell scrambled for 25 yards to make it a 4th-and-2? (which the Redskins later converted and went on to win the game?) Hindsight bites.

2010 Stats:

player a - 44 catches for 871 yards 19.4 average

player b - 45 catches for 561 yards 12.5 average

which one scares you more?

dez caught a ton of touchdowns last year, but he isn't the player everyone is making him out to be. you know everyone blasts the media for pumping up the cowboys, but dez is just like most of his team a whole lot of hype with some flashes but not elite.

dez wishes he could hold larry fitz's or andre johnson's jock.

It was the right call all day and twice on Sunday.YOU haven't been around long enough to see us lose these games because WE SENT 3 and had 8 defensive backs.We need to dictate to an offense not play any kind of PREVENT!

Were you really so desperate that you pulled the age card when it is completely irrelevant. I've lived through a decade plus of seeing us blow games because of playing not to lose. If it'd been 3rd and 10, I'd have been all for sending the house. On 3rd and 21. Force them into a 4th and long.

Such a sad argument.

congratulations, you've reached the nirvana that people who actually think about the situation instead of just saying "i wouldn't have done that on madden!!!!!"

4th and 10 because you were in prevent and all of the sudden you're too passive and you're playing not to lose instead of playing to win.

4th and 21, they're probably punting.

I'm confused are you agreeing or disagreeing with me lol?

Possible outcomes:

Blitz = incompletion or sack (let's say, 60% of the time)

Blitz = short to medium gain of 5-10 yards (let's say, 30% of the time)

Blitz = give up long play of 20+ yards (lets say 10% of the time)

The percentages were clearly in Hazlett's favor.

Hmm, I'd say you are only breaking down the general numbers. What you have to look at is the percentage completed in one-on-one coverage.

And why have teams entire gameplans/styles of defenses relied on shutting down parts of the field or preventing the long pass, if going Cover 0 blitz against a scrambling, improvising QB and elite (athletically) wideout was the answer?

You act aggressively (non-prevent) on first, maybe second down. The problem is, Haslett dialed the same play up (maybe some slight variation on the field but same idea) and it bit us.

THE SAME THING HAPPENED vs. HOUSTON in 2010. This is not a thing of "oh, we only complain if we win" or complaining of a blitz on 4th and 2. That is understandable.

The fact is, a blitz leaving your corners on islands INCREASES the odds that a first down/TD gaining reception occurs. The odds of a first down/TD reception happening when you DONT go Cover 0 goes down. Period.

I'm confused are you agreeing or disagreeing with me lol?

i'm agreeing with you. you have to look at the situation and not just the play by itself. (funny because everyone says it was a bad situation decision)

it's funny because people are so confused as to why it was bad, they just assume it was bad because it didn't work.

i keep hearing "you don't single cover dez," please, dez had done nothing all game and we had been blitzing pretty consistently. if dez was as dangerous as everyone makes him out to be maybe the cowboys wouldn't have to kick 6 field goals.

wasn't it just a few plays earlier when the redskins were successfully blitzing the cowboys and causing incompletions because Romo sits to pee wanted to dump the ball short that gruden pointed out they were going straight man with no safety?

I thought it was the right call EXCEPT i would have shown OJ or Landry blitzing, and then dropped them back to play center field. All night Romo sits to pee was throwing quickly not wanting to take a hit. I can't fault Haslett thinking someone would get there and force an early throw. It was just a good play by Romo sits to pee, he ran like 20 yards backwards lol. All we needed was one safety defending that first down marker and he either picks that ball off easily or Romo sits to pee throws it out of bounce. Sucks it went down the way it did.

I thought it was the right call EXCEPT i would have shown OJ or Landry blitzing, and then dropped them back to play center field. All night Romo sits to pee was throwing quickly not wanting to take a hit. I can't fault Haslett thinking someone would get there and force an early throw. It was just a good play by Romo sits to pee, he ran like 20 yards backwards lol. All we needed was one safety defending that first down marker and he either picks that ball off easily or Romo sits to pee throws it out of bounce. Sucks it went down the way it did.

1 safety means that he has to pick a side of the field and weren't there two stacked on the opposite side of bryant. i can't remember, but 1 guy can't cover a 33 1/2 by 40 yard area. remember some no name beat the 49ers so it's not like you can just double dez like everyone just assumes would have worked.

hindsight, hindsight, hindsight.

It's the wrong call even though the zero coverage worked all game. The Redskins showed a tendency to do this and the Cowboys went in to max protect. This allowed Romo sits to pee to escape the pocket and hit a wide open Dez. The correct call on D would have been to show blitz and go into a cover 2 or 3. It would have been ballgame.

Also, if you're playing Cover 0, all that disruption via blitz will rarely result in the PERCENTAGE of an INT going up. A fumble maybe, but you get picks by sitting back and reading the QB, routes. If you blitz ONE guy and generate just a TOUCH of pressure, you possibly get that pick/pass breakup you're looking for. If you're playing on an island, you are asking a lot for the pass breakup AND INT. The odds for an INT fall drastically when you have Cover 0 going, at least if it's a Cover 0 and the house coming.

Archived