Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gano Just Plain Sucks....

cheech

I think we Skins fans are going to get nervous whenever ANY Skins kicker lines up to kick a field-goal, especially during crunch time. And looking back at last season, there were some times when Gano looked good --- and there were some stretches when he didn't look so good. So some folks have cause to fear for the worst.

But the 2010 season is behind us now -- and maybe Gano deserves a full season to show whether he's developing consistency and reliabile 'winning ways' during those 'clutch' moments. In my opinion, yesterday's game winning FG is a definite plus for Gano, and I hope he builds off of it.

I'd also hope that ES fans would also note that Gano has generally been solid on kickoffs -- many times kicking so deep, that opponents cannot run the ball back. Does anyone recall those short kickoffs we got from some of our other kickers (Suisham comes to mind first, but there were others.) So one kickoff going out of bounds must be balanced by the number of kickoffs going out of the endzone.

I say we stick with Gano, and hope he has a stellar 2011 season.

The unfortunate thing for Gano is he’s gonna get blamed for that block, but the blocking on that FG attempt was terrible. They got all kinds of penetration on that. That said, he tends to be in these situations that decide games at the end because of missed attempts earilier. He almost makes his own drama.

And let’s not gloss over the kickoff out of bounds that kicked off a TD drive in good field position.

It wasn't Gano's fault the block happened. He had an out of bounds kick. Generally though today wasn't him hosing it.

On the blocked kick, a guy comes in unblocked and takes 2-3 steps towards him, NO KICKER WOULD HAVE MADE THAT. At first I was mad at Gano but then I rewinded it and took a look and see that a guy misses his block and is in so far there is nothing Gano can do. Before people go ape they should try and look and see exactly what happened

On the blocked kick, a guy comes in unblocked and takes 2-3 steps towards him, NO KICKER WOULD HAVE MADE THAT. At first I was mad at Gano but then I rewinded it and took a look and see that a guy misses his block and is in so far there is nothing Gano can do. Before people go ape they should try and look and see exactly what happened

Cool

Now explain how he's missed 12 other kicks since last September when no one blocked them.

~Bang

Gano had an awful season last year, but the entire team played pretty bad (competitive, but bad).

The miss against the gaints was unacceptable, but kicker's aren't perfect and one game with one kick isn't enough to really judge a guy on.

The kicking out of bounds on kick off is completely unacceptable and something you can judge a kicker on. Especially this year when you can just boot it out the end zone with ease. You can't do that, especially in a close game. Gano needs to be put on notice - you do that again, you're gone. I don't care if he's perfect the rest of the season - you simply cannot kick out of bounds on the kickoff. you become a huge liability at that point, and this team isn't good enough to keep a liability around.

Cool

Now explain how he's missed 12 other kicks since last September when no one blocked them.

~Bang

LOL! I guess I should clarify my position, I am still kinda scared of graham gano because of what you mentioned. I guess all I was trying to say is that people should pay attention before they go ape, since this time his missed kick wasnt his fault. I do hope he finds more consistency or we will lose some games cause of him of course. It seems when people are down on someone, then they see what they want to see even when its not the guys fault.

Now I have no idea why he kicked the damn ball out of bounds on the kickoff. That was lame. I still hold out hope that he will become a good kicker for us.

True.

But not 1 chip shot a week.

He was like 60% inside 40 last year too. He sucks.

There are about 20 kickers available every year. Get one of them.

Completely agree.

Rotisserie Kicker is no great situation to be in but a miss a game is just not good enough.

+1 to cut.

I'll repeat this again then to those that are so upset about his kickoffs:

2010 he had 1 KOB and ranked 4th in averaging only 19.0 yards per kick return. You could argue he ranked 2nd as the person ranked first had only 4 kicks and the person ranked 3rd had only23.

2011 he has 1 KOB and ranks 6th in averaging only 20.8 yards per kick return.

To say he sucks on kickoffs is totally not true.

Yes, Gano sucks.

But what are you gonna do? We've been on the kicker carousel for about 15 years now. You can cut him, and great, then what? We still got no kicker. And it's not like there is anybody else out there.

He made the game winner and that should be good enough. He hasn't cost the Skins a game yet this season so I don't see the point in "punishing" him just for fun. We'll still have no kicker.

I think you're grossly underrating how awful it is to kick the ball out of bounds...

How so? 23 kickers did it last year. Mason Crosby did it 3 times. David Akers 2, Nate Kaeding 1, Stephen Gostkowski 1, Nick Folk 1.

To say that he has a problem kicking it out of bounds on kickoffs is not true.

Yes, it is a bad thing when a kickoff goes out, but I fail to see where this happens a lot to him. The knee jerk reaction after the game is crazy.

I think you're grossly underrating how awful it is to kick the ball out of bounds...

Especially with the game on the line and field position being as important as it was. I was okay with the block, he still kicked that ball and the guy was not blocked properly. However the shank out of bounds at that time was really awful.

How so? 23 kickers did it last year. Mason Crosby did it 3 times. David Akers 2, Nate Kaeding 1, Stephen Gostkowski 1, Nick Folk 1.

Yes, it is a bad thing when a kickoff goes out, but I fail to see where this happens a lot to him. The knee jerk reaction after the game is crazy.

Anyother time in the game is a different story, this reminded me of the Turk brothers, who always screwed the pooch at the wrong time. (as if there is a right time to screw the pooch)

yeah i don't have a problem with gano... he was really good in the preseason and after one miss and an out of bounds kick off... everybody wants to ship him out. In order to make a move like this, gano has to do terribly bad in a game... I'm talking either missing multiple FGs or shanking a chip shot or there has to be a clear upgrade on the FA list. Until then, we just have to hope Gano continues to grow

Seriously. Can we make a new rule banning cut and sign threads or over emotional angsty threads? Or can they at least get their own forum or merged thread?

IMO

The title was pretty clear and you could aviod threads like these or those if you don't like them. I agree that the sign joe blow threads could go into a folder but I don't claim that I run the place and the guys that do run the place are doing an incredible job. I think you should just avoid the type of thread you don't like. Again, JMHO.

Archived