Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gano Just Plain Sucks....

cheech

I don't know, you tell me.

You don't seem to have an actual suggestion. As far as I know, there isn't a placekicker named "anyone" who is an available free agent.

You can't come up with a better suggestion because there ISN'T one. You don't cut your kicker - who just made a game-winner for you - out of spite. Unless you have no interest in winning football games.

Please suggest an actual human who would be a better kicker. If you can't, you and your ilk should really shut your traps on this.

Seriously? I just said anyone. Any available kicker out there. I don't care what his name is. Hand me a free agents list and I'll name anyone you want. In the extremely unlikely event that he ends up worse than Gano, you cut him and pick up somebody else off the scrap heap. You know, the same place we found Graham Gano.

I find your line about "interested in winning football games" pretty funny. If you're interested in winning games you keep the league's worst kicker? What kind of logic is that?

So anyway, should I assume, that if it were up to the pro-Gano crowd, that kickers would never be cut under any circumstances? Because, being the worst at your position is usually a pretty good reason to be cut.

A Playoff team with SuperBowl aspirations can look for a quick fix if they have a kicking issue.

A building team takes its lumps witha kicker who has potential.

And why do I know he has potential? Because Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen think he does.

You can go find Shayne Grahams on the scrap heap. Remember how good he looked?

if we wanted to replace him in the offseason, i wouldn't mind the current FSU kicker. did you see him on Sat night? he has the swagger and confidence to wear golden shoes, and goes out from 50+ and nails it like it's no big thing. he had a 53, and a 46 to be exact. if you just watched him though, he came out both times EXPECTING to make the kick.

Gano comes out and looks like he just ran to the locker room to puke b/c he was so nervous. that is one trait of Gano's i don't like. he acts like it's a miracle he makes any kick, even the short ones. to some of you, it is a miracle when he makes the short kicks :ols:

A Playoff team with SuperBowl aspirations can look for a quick fix if they have a kicking issue.

A building team takes its lumps witha kicker who has potential.

And why do I know he has potential? Because Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen think he does.

You can go find Shayne Grahams on the scrap heap. Remember how good he looked?

Shouldn't you be defending Shayne Graham? He only missed twice before we released him. And that's after going 12-12 last year.

Gano missed twice in 3 games last year.

---------- Post added September-19th-2011 at 12:08 PM ----------

Gano is the Tim Tebow of kickers....easy to like but painful to watch.

I honestly think that's part of why he gets a free pass from so many. He's a young, good looking guy who is easy to root for.

I don't like any kickers though, even the best ones. The bad ones I hate with an unholy passion.

It's not the answer.

We can cut every kicker we ever bring in here.

So long as we still have Danny Smith why bother.

Our special teams are more of a problem than just the kicker.

~Bang

And that is why I know that the kick out of bounds last night should be placed on Danny Smith as well as Gano. Shame on Gano for kicking it out of bounds, but I know Smith told him to try and angle that kick and he should just tell him to try and kick it out of the field.

Shouldn't you be defending Shayne Graham? He only missed twice before we released him. And that's after going 12-12 last year.

Gano missed twice in 3 games last year.

He also won 3 games for us last year.

Packers - Kicked a 45 yarder to send game into OT. Then kicked a 33 yarder to win.

Titans - Kicked a 42 yarder to send game into OT. Then kicked a 48 yarder to win

Jags - Kicked a 31 yarder in OT.

So anyway, should I assume, that if it were up to the pro-Gano crowd, that kickers would never be cut under any circumstances? Because, being the worst at your position is usually a pretty good reason to be cut.

I'm not pro-anything, I'm just anti-stupidity.

If you can't be bothered to point out BY NAME a single human being who you think the Skins would be better off employing as kicker, you can't be taken seriously.

And that is why I know that the kick out of bounds last night should be placed on Danny Smith as well as Gano. Shame on Gano for kicking it out of bounds, but I know Smith told him to try and angle that kick and he should just tell him to try and kick it out of the field.

I have a sneaking suspicion that may be the case. Gano could probably kick it out of the back of the endzone every time but they sometimes mess around to see if they can catch the returner within the 20.

Just a little nugget, while we're debating whether Gano can be a good kicker, the Saints brought in John Kasay a week before the season and he's 5-5 with a 53 yarder. Just sayin'. I don't care how old he is, he's still a better kicker at today 107 years old or whatever he is than Gano.

I'm not pro-anything, I'm just anti-stupidity.

You can put that on a shirt....

I have a sneaking suspicion that may be the case. Gano could probably kick it out of the back of the endzone every time but they sometimes mess around to see if they can catch the returner within the 20.

I love seeing our people hit somebody on kickoff returns, but I rather have the offense going 80 yards consistently rather than risking the chance for them to only have to go 40.

He also won 3 games for us last year.

Packers - Kicked a 45 yarder to send game into OT. Then kicked a 33 yarder to win.

Titans - Kicked a 42 yarder to send game into OT. Then kicked a 48 yarder to win

Jags - Kicked a 31 yarder in OT.

He also missed a 47 yard field goal at the end of regulation in the Tennessee game that would have won it without overtime. Not only did he miss, but he was at least 10 yards short. I was at that game and Titans fans were actually laughing at how short the kick was. Wind was not an issue either.

Gano Sucks, plain and simple.

He also missed a 47 yard field goal at the end of regulation in the Tennessee game that would have won it without overtime. Not only did he miss, but he was at least 10 yards short. I was at that game and Titans fans were actually laughing at how short the kick was. Wind was not an issue either.

Gano Sucks, plain and simple.

So you can take the bad and ignore the good? He accounted for 12 of our 19 points that game.

Well someone on the coaching staff doesn't seem to agree with you. I guess you know better? Who would you replace him with?

Gano's block was not his fault - just one player making a great play

I would disagree. Watch the video on the kick, it did not get off the ground. On a short field goal you need do get under the ball and get it up high, he did not. I don't think cutting him at this time would make any sense!! Try to upgrade in off season if he continues to struggle.

I think that Gano is doing an above average job. He is tied for 8th in the league in touchbacks. He's missed one field goal and the block wasn't his fault and would have been 4-4 in the game. He's got great upside as he's entering year 2. Let's not forget that he did win the game and last year he won 3 in OT.

Gano is a little bit of a work in progress at this level and has confidence that he can win a ball game. I think the team and coaches feel the same. Nobody likes the kicking out of bounds, but it happens and you move on. Nobody is perfect.

---------- Post added September-19th-2011 at 02:26 PM ----------

In comparison...David Akers signed a 3 yr deal with the 49'ers and it's costing them 1.86 million this year....Gano cost 480k. Akers has 7 touchbacks this year and Gano has 6. Akers is 5 for 5 and Gano is 3 for 5 with one blocked. I think he's a bargain that has some real upside and since the salary cap counts again this is one situation where paying 25% of what the top free agent got was a no brain'er.

How so? 23 kickers did it last year. Mason Crosby did it 3 times. David Akers 2, Nate Kaeding 1, Stephen Gostkowski 1, Nick Folk 1.

To say that he has a problem kicking it out of bounds on kickoffs is not true.

Yes, it is a bad thing when a kickoff goes out, but I fail to see where this happens a lot to him. The knee jerk reaction after the game is crazy.

All i said was that he was underestimating how awful it is to kick the ball out of bounds.

so... we're in agreement.

other than the fact that i don't think this is a 'knee jerk reaction after one game', i think it's just another item on the list of 'times gano didn't come through for us'. which is getting pretty lengthy at this point.

John Kasey did it in the Super Bowl against the Pats......is Kasey a horrible kicker?

Aside from what I said above, if you think one play makes a person an awful player then... well, i disagree to say the least.

You have to add it all up.. Kicker's jobs are simple - field goals and kick offs. I'm not saying they're easy, I'm saying their responsibility is very limited. So when they constantly screw up, it looks really bad. I don't know if the blocked kick was his fault, I haven't seen a replay or heard anything other than it was iffy who's fault it was. i know on an extra point half our offensive line got blown up as soon as the ball was snapped. they literally fell on their butts immediately.

but i know gano has a history of missing clutch kicks that, while not 'easy', should be sure things especially given the moment if you're going to be a kicker in the NFL.

you have to have a replacement that makes sense before you go cutting a guy who is the only kicker on the team. but if they brought someone new in tomorrow i wouldn't be the least bit upset. he's had multiple chances to prove he deserves to be here, and he hasn't shown it yet. his 100% in preseason doesn't matter - it's when it matters that we actually measure him. i hope he either figures it out, or they bring in someone with a brighter future.

So you can take the bad and ignore the good? He accounted for 12 of our 19 points that game.

Well someone on the coaching staff doesn't seem to agree with you. I guess you know better? Who would you replace him with?

I wasn't ignoring the good at all. An earlier posted noted that he hit the game-winner in Tennessee. I was just pointing out that he also choked at the end of regulation. We won the game, thanks to a field goal from Gano in OT, but if we would have lost in OT, there would have been a lot more heat on Gano.

As far a replacement, I don't know. I feel like we signed Gano out of nowhere, surely there is someone else out there who can consistently make kicks from inside 45 yards. I mean, David Akers was available. What about Mike Vanderjact (sp?). He was money a few years back. All of a sudden he falls off his PERFECT clip and he's no longer serviceable? He can't miss more than Gano does. Tell me you honestly felt comfortable with Gano lining up for that game-winner on Sunday.

Here's a random name: Art Carmody. He was a kicker at Louisville from 2004-2006. He won the Lou Groza award and was first-team all Big East. He doesn't have the strongest leg, but if memory serves, he was deadly from inside 45. Before I get flamed about how an NFL kicker needs to have a stronger leg, I understand that. But an NFL kicker also needs to be able to make shorter kicks on a consistent basis. I would rather make 95% of my kicks from inside 45 than someone who can make it every now and then from 45+ and miss gimmie field goals more than he should (i.e. week 1).

but i know gano has a history of missing clutch kicks that, while not 'easy', should be sure things especially given the moment if you're going to be a kicker in the NFL.

Could you be specific? Which "Clutch kicks" has he missed? And why do you think they should be SURE things?

Exactly right.

I have no idea why Smith wants to get cute when we can just boot it nine yards deep. It's the one thing Gano has shown he can do with consistency. So do it. If for no other reason than to give Gano confidence by doing something good instead of getting roasted for kicking out of bounds.

You know.. COACH. Play to his strengths. Develop the player like Kilmer says. Smith just fails to do it.

Same as the end of the game.. why punt it right TO the one guy who has a chance to win the game for the cards?

The mental gaffes Smith makes are just ridiculous.

~Bang

---------- Post added September-19th-2011 at 06:52 PM ----------

Could you be specific? Which "Clutch kicks" has he missed? And why do you think they should be SURE things?

He's usually been pretty good in the clutch, actually. when he gets a chance for a winner in reasonable range, he's pretty good.

The miss vs Tampa last year in the end was a bad snap / hold. Not much Gano could do.

Now, it is not lost that he's often kicking his way out of a problem he's kicked his way into.

But when it's clutch time, he's been good more often than not.

~Bang

Kickers who have missed kicks under 40 yards this year-

ADAM VINITIERI

Rob Bironas

Dan Bailey (a 21 yarder)

Rian Lindell

Dan Carpenter

Jay Feeley

This style of argument is so old, tired, and worthless it's ridiculous.

Come, lets see what happens if we take your post seriously:

2010 statistics - source nfl.com

Adam Vinitieri:

20-29 yards - 8/8 100%

30-39 yards - 9/10 90%

40-49 yards - 9/10 90%

50+ yards - 0/0 0%

overall: 92.9%

Rob Bironas:

20-29 yards - 6/6 100%

30-39 yards - 8/9 88.9%

40-49 yards - 8/8 100%

50+ yards - 2/3 66.6%

overall: 92.3%

Dan Bailey:

he's a rookie, so i'm not sure why he would be someone you would bring up. we have no idea whether he's a good NFL kicker or not, and wont for years down the road.

Rian Lindell:

20-29 yards - 6/6 100%

30-39 yards - 5/6 83.3%

40-49 yards - 2/3 66.7%

50+ yards - 2/5 40%

overall: 76.2%

* This guy's overall percentage is brought down by misses from 50+. Under 40 yards he missed 1 (ONE) fieldgoal last year. Under 50 he missed 2 (TWO!). I'd take that any year.

Dan Carpenter:

20-20 yards - 9/9 100%

30-39 yards - 5/5 100%

40-49 yards - 11/18 61.1%

50+ yards - 4/8 50%

overall: 73.2%

* This guy kicked a lot of field goals... and is perfect under 40 yards. You'd like less than 7 misses from 40-49, but he still made 11...

Jay Feely:

20-20 yards - 8/8 100%

30-39 yards - 6/6 100%

40-49 yards - 8/10 80%

50+ yards - 2/3 66.7%

overall: 88.9

So

Lets compare these guys, to Gano:

20-20 yards - 2/2 100%

30-39 yards - 1/3 33.3% (...)

40-49 yards - 11/14 78.6% (thats actually not that bad)

50+ yards - 0/3 0%

overall: 68.6

Those guys can get away with missing under 40 yards so far this season, because (according to their past statistics), it'll probably be the only (or one of the only) times they do it.

Gano is not even close to being on the same level as the guys you posted. And this isn't about making a judgement on him after one kick, or even two games. It's his entire body of work.

I hope he gets better, I'd love to have a solid kicker for the next 10 years. But if you can't understand why people are getting upset... not quite sure what else to tell you.

Archived