Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gano Just Plain Sucks....

cheech

but i know gano has a history of missing clutch kicks that, while not 'easy', should be sure things especially given the moment if you're going to be a kicker in the NFL.

Could you be specific? Which "Clutch kicks" has he missed? And why do you think they should be SURE things?

I consider a 'clutch kick' one inside the 40 when you're in a tight game.

The one that was blocked yesterday was a 'clutch' situation... making a fg there changes the way the game is. To be fair i have no idea if it's his fault or not.

Missing the one against the giant is a 'clutch' moment. Given the history with the giants, the fact that they outnumber you talent wise, it's a division rival, you have to make those... if you don't then what good are you for the team?

clutch may be the wrong word to use, and if so then my bad. he misses field goals he shouldn't, and he misses them when there is an opportunity to secure a lead/take the lead at a critical time in the game. i don't define 'clutch' kicks as just ones that are made (or missed) as time expires.

and if gano was missing field goals when they were up by 20 points, i wouldn't care. this team isn't good enough to be up by 20 points regular, therefore they're not good enough to miss <40 yard fieldgoals. they need every set of 3 points they can get.

So what percentage of "clutch kicks" by your definition should a kicker make? and what is his percentage versus the rest of the NFL, and more importantly, who is out there that will absolutely no question be better at it than he is?

you're asking questions that indicate you're reading 60% of my post, and not the rest.

I have no idea who's out there that's better. I also (as i've said at least twice in the last two pages), am not saying he should be cut today. I hope he becomes a great kicker, and does it for us. I did, however, say that if they cut him for someone else tomorrow i would understand why...

What percentage should they make? Way more than they miss. They should miss so few it doesn't even cross your mind to think that maybe the guy needs to be replaced. I'd say 90+% percent.

as for his vs the rest of the NFL, give me a break... you want me to go through and watch every game over the last year and compile statistics that ESPN and the NFL don't keep? sure thing. i'll get right on it...

That's my point. The amount of anti Gano posts are made without compete facts.

Is he one of the best in the NFL? Not even close. Could he become one? Maybe. But there is nobody waiting in the wings that would INSTANTLY become one of the best in the NFL.

As such, in a building year, you take your lumps and see if he can improve. If not, you try to find that guy next offseason. And if he gets worse, you can always find the same kind of dreck on the midseason scrap pile.

IMO

The title was pretty clear and you could aviod threads like these or those if you don't like them. I agree that the sign joe blow threads could go into a folder but I don't claim that I run the place and the guys that do run the place are doing an incredible job. I think you should just avoid the type of thread you don't like. Again, JMHO.

And i usually do, but seriously, the entire front page is littered with this kind of stuff. I just dont get it. It's getting to the point that if you want any decent reading and discussion that you have to read Bubba's forum, and no comments are aloud there. I'm not criticizing the mods, i think they do better than everyone else, i just think this crap is getting out of hand. I'm not the only one.

I am hoping/betting that Gano will grow into the kicker we all want and I won't have to scream GaNOOOOOOOOO very often.

If there was someone that we could pick up and get the job done, I would be for that, but there isn't anyone...

Mark Moseley was 65%

Chip Lohmiller was 71.8%

Amazing how times have changed...

Gano's history with us is that when in camp and competing for a job he is good. He is also good when the game is on the line but when not under pressure he's a bit iffy.

We should attach electrodes to his man bag, you know the rest. Might shorten the learning curve?

i hope kilmer17 is right and taking the lumps during some building years work out.

You're missing the important part.

Either he becomes the kicker of the future, or we find another guy in the offseason. His performance will not prevent us from or help us win a superbowl this year.

I'm just wondering, how many years does it take for a kicker to be good? :kickcan:

He doesn't have to get 1000's of reps with WR's in game situations to get timing down, or learn all the different responsibilities for each defensive formation, or blocking assignments vs the 3/4 compared to the 4/3, cover 2 defenses, hand technique, pass rushing moves, or practice any of that.

What he has to do is about the same thing as one of us going out and practicing layups or 3 pointers, how many years does it really take? It's not about game situations, you guys already said "he's clutch" he makes the hard ones. So what is it? Is Smith teaching him to shank the easy kicks so he can go out later and be "clutch" or what?

Most kickers are automatic from inside the 40, missing about 1 in 15-25 attempts. (Some of those guys were available THIS OFFSEASON, just like every offseason) Some kickers have higher % kicking from 40-60 yards than Gano does from 20-40. How much practice does he need? He's more accurate kicking 45 yarders than 30 yarders. Should we consider bringing in 60 year old Morten Anderson to kick anything sub 40? :ols:

Is he the Jason Campbell of kickers? He's been in the league for 3 years now. Thats equivalent to Campbell starting for a decade or more when you compare the job descriptions. It's like comparing a Window Cleaner to a Nuclear Engineer. You are either good at cleaning windows, or you are not. Spray on, wipe, yep it looks real shiny.

If he has concentration issues when the kick isn't a clutch kick then give the kid some Ritalin and tell him to settle down. 12 of 17 from 20-40, his stats last year, isn't good enough and he's missed 2 of 5 already this year. :(

And as for "well we aren't winning anything this year anyway" I think you might want to get in touch with Shanahan and the team. They are 2-0 right now and don't look to be going out of their way to lose any games this season, unless the kicker misses a couple in a row sometime. :doh:

So dp you think if they are 8-2 later is that time to find a kicker? Or maybe if they are 10-6? Should they just sign one after they lose a wild card game by 3 because Gano missed 2 chippers after he missed several during the season that ended up being the difference between us winning the division and being a WC team, or what?

You're missing the important part.

Either he becomes the kicker of the future, or we find another guy in the offseason. His performance will not prevent us from or help us win a superbowl this year.

Well, by that token then why do we care about the performance of any given player on the team?

That's a ridiculous reply to a point that wasn't even made. It's looking like it's just not worth discussing anymore.

It wasn't Gano's fault, but the game winning FG came WAY too close to being blocked. Our left end blocker let the guy run in free. Gotta fix that.

Definitely the scheme... Our player had two guys coming inside/out-- the inside was his 1st priority, but if you watch the replay he punched his hand out as he engaged the first block and it slowed the other guy down a split second. I think he did the best you could do in that situation.

Couple of things..

Last Week: Missed FG- inexcusable

This week: Blame Danny Smith- instead of letting Gano kick it out of the endzone they went with the directional kick to trap the Cards inside the 20. It worked once and failed the other time giving the Cards the ball at the 40. The blocked FG was a missed assignment by the OL. Still shocked they punted the ball to Peterson and Danny Smith should thank GOD for Rocca and Banks because HIS unit has underperformed.

I'm just wondering, how many years does it take for a kicker to be good? :kickcan:

He doesn't have to get 1000's of reps with WR's in game situations to get timing down, or learn all the different responsibilities for each defensive formation, or blocking assignments vs the 3/4 compared to the 4/3, cover 2 defenses, hand technique, pass rushing moves, or practice any of that.

What he has to do is about the same thing as one of us going out and practicing layups or 3 pointers, how many years does it really take? It's not about game situations, you guys already said "he's clutch" he makes the hard ones. So what is it? Is Smith teaching him to shank the easy kicks so he can go out later and be "clutch" or what?

Most kickers are automatic from inside the 40, missing about 1 in 15-25 attempts. (Some of those guys were available THIS OFFSEASON, just like every offseason) Some kickers have higher % kicking from 40-60 yards than Gano does from 20-40. How much practice does he need? He's more accurate kicking 45 yarders than 30 yarders. Should we consider bringing in 60 year old Morten Anderson to kick anything sub 40? :ols:

Is he the Jason Campbell of kickers? He's been in the league for 3 years now. Thats equivalent to Campbell starting for a decade or more when you compare the job descriptions. It's like comparing a Window Cleaner to a Nuclear Engineer. You are either good at cleaning windows, or you are not. Spray on, wipe, yep it looks real shiny.

If he has concentration issues when the kick isn't a clutch kick then give the kid some Ritalin and tell him to settle down. 12 of 17 from 20-40, his stats last year, isn't good enough and he's missed 2 of 5 already this year. :(

And as for "well we aren't winning anything this year anyway" I think you might want to get in touch with Shanahan and the team. They are 2-0 right now and don't look to be going out of their way to lose any games this season, unless the kicker misses a couple in a row sometime. :doh:

So dp you think if they are 8-2 later is that time to find a kicker? Or maybe if they are 10-6? Should they just sign one after they lose a wild card game by 3 because Gano missed 2 chippers after he missed several during the season that ended up being the difference between us winning the division and being a WC team, or what?

Plenty of kickers take time to develop just like players at any other positions.

First three seasons of a few kickers you may have heard of.

David Akers: 0%, 50%, 87.9%

Neil Rackers: 57.1%, 60.7%, 83.3%

Adam Vinateri: 77.1%, 86.2%, 79.5%

Jay Feely: 78.4%, 80%, 70.4%

Josh Brown: 73.3%, 92%, 72%

I could go on and on. Kickers usually bounce around between a few teams before they catch on. Until we are a championship calibre team being held back by poor kicking there is no reason to rush this.

Gano has been fine in every kick but the one vs New York.

Tonight the kicks he's gotten off have been strong and straight.

Maybe I'm wrong, but i don't recall him hitting a 50 yarder before.

I'm impressed with Gano. The special teams need to tighten up in other areas.

~Bang

Gano has been fine in every kick but the one vs New York.

Tonight the kicks he's gotten off have been strong and straight.

Maybe I'm wrong, but i don't recall him hitting a 50 yarder before.

I'm impressed with Gano. The special teams need to tighten up in other areas.

~Bang

Gano was 0-3 i believe from 50+ last year, so unless he hit one with Baltimore this would be his first i guess.

Archived