Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gano Just Plain Sucks....

cheech

Gano misses two and Nick Novak is kicking straight down the middle on a 49 yarder for San Diego. And Suisham will be in the playoffs with the Steelers. Go figure. Gano misses alot of crucial kicks but he looks great when they don't matter.

I always liked those kickers too :) Novak bc he's from MD and Suisham bc he could lay the wood.

They have something Gano doesn't and Gano has something they don't. They have experience and Gano has leg strength. Gano will improve... as someone else said - he's the least of our worries. No way we let our kicking prospect go during our rebuilding years.

Gano misses two and Nick Novak is kicking straight down the middle on a 49 yarder for San Diego. And Suisham will be in the playoffs with the Steelers. Go figure. Gano misses alot of crucial kicks but he looks great when they don't matter.

Isn't that proof that we should stick with someone for more than a couple seasons? If the NFL is littered with Redskin castoffs who are coming into their own, the takeaway for me is that we need to demonstrate more patience.

and Skins fans celebrated both kickers being released because they didn't have the patience to let them develop. Now, those same fans would probably want either back. Can't have your cake and eat it to folks, you actually have to give a player seasons, not a couple games, to develop.

Well, it looked GOOD from where I was sitting! :silly:

Honestly, I didn't see a replay. Was it tipped or something?

Nah, some dumb ass qb decided to run to the far right thus placing the kicking spot on the right hash. Rex coulda just ran backwards for 30 yds but that would have been too obvious.

With all of the other screwed up plays and missed opportunities, I wish some of the others would maybe point their fingers in that direction; he's young, has a strong leg, and will be fine, just give him a break; dare I mention some other kicker named Akers who was cut from the Skins roster years ago? Nah, I didn't think so...

Gano isn't very good. I don't care that he missed a 52 yard game winner. I'm not expecting the greatest kicker of all time or anything I'm expecting somebody who looks consistent. He's 66.7% on the season. 16/24. That isn't good. He's missed field goals in 6 games this year. He's an inconsistent kicker. This is his 3rd season in the NFL and his field goal percentage is down. Everyone is always going to say "oh well we're just not giving him time! Remember David Akers?!?!?"

In Akers' first full season he was at 88% in his second he was at 83, then 88, then 82, then 84. The point is in Gano's first full season he was at 68. Then 66. Where will he be next season? All I'm looking for is Chip Lohmiller good, and he was a consistent low to mid 70% kicker, which sadly is still better than Gano.

I will admit that I have not looked at stats, but is there evidence that kickers get better with experience? There might be, I don't know. I don't see how hard it can be for a kicker to adjust though...they don't have to read defenses or adjust to the speed of the game...its just kicking a ball through the uprights.

David Akers got ONE GAME in Washington and then was cut. Gano has had 26, and leads the league by a big margin in missed kicks in that time. To say that this is not a concern in a league where most games are close is really naive IMO.

Gano isn't very good. I don't care that he missed a 52 yard game winner. I'm not expecting the greatest kicker of all time or anything I'm expecting somebody who looks consistent. He's 66.7% on the season. 16/24. That isn't good. He's missed field goals in 6 games this year. He's an inconsistent kicker. This is his 3rd season in the NFL and his field goal percentage is down.

One miss was the result of a bad hold by Rocca. Two misses were the result of missed blocking assignments. Granted, other kickers have to deal with those same issues, but I suspect no other kicker has missed 3 attempts in half a season due to blocks and bad holds. When other people do their jobs, he's making it 76% of the time.

gano is meh for me. if we find someone else i wont really care, hes just very inconsistent. hes 3-6 on 30-39 yarders which is one of the worst lines in the league, however hes one of the better ones from 50.

his leg is why he gets to stick around, hes got a cannon for a leg, hes just not the most accurate guy. competition for him going into next season would be helpful, or if a better vet is available im all for it. with kicker i dont care if hes 49 years old, as long as he can kick lol.

Nick Novak.

Steve Suisham.

/thread.

Typical Redskins fans, always bailing when the road gets rocky. I think half of you are closet Dallas fans just telling from how people ***** about the tinest little things in a rebuilding year.

Would you like Gano to hit 50 yard game winners? Sure. But he's a young kicker at a position where most first-time starters at the position are 28-31.

Yeah, for those of you wanting him to stick around, I might agree if he didn't lead the league in missed FG's the past 2 years running. He's got a strong leg, but has the accuracy of a John Beck deep pass.

Whatever the case, I'm tired of losing close games because we don't have a kicker that can do his ****ing job when it really matters.

Even from the far side of the Atlantic it was possible to see that (a) the kick was wide from the moment it left his boot and (B) the problem wasn't Gano. The problem was 52 yards. The Cowboys got their guy closer to the target. That's why they won. Blaming the kicker is the easy way out.

And if kickers keep failing in DC, then going to better-run franchises and performing at a much higher standard, then there's something happening here that's messing them up. Knowing that you're playing to a home crowd full of haters probably doesn't help ...

INEXCUSABLE! Totally and utterly INEXCUSABLE!

Both on the kicker, and his coach who's now seen 10 kick-off's out of bounds in 7 season's and 2 games into an eighth he's been in the job.

INEXCUSABLE!

Hail.

Yea, as much as the kicker is about as independent as you get on a football team, I can't help but speculate that D.Smith has a hand in either not having the capability to get into these guy's heads, or something he does, or teaches screws them up, Gano has a ton of potential is he the next Skin placekicker to go on to greener pastures with success with another team? I would love a change at the head of special teams before we move on from Gano, who knows our kick returners may find some semi consistent running room as well?

Archived