Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gano Just Plain Sucks....

cheech

I don't want to cut Gano. He's still very young and I have hope that in two years when we are actually contending that he will be a strong kicker for us. That HAS to remain the perspective for all of us.

BUT, he certainly isn't even close to that right now. He needed to hit the kick at the end. I know it was 52. I know it was a long kick. I don't care. You gotta make that kick in the position we were in. You have a chance to beat the Cowboys. You have watched your team fight so hard all game. You are at home. You have the leg to make it, that's not even an issue. The snap was perfect, and so was the hold. For the whole damn DMV area he has to make that kick. In two years, he MUST make a kick like that because it might mean the difference between a bye or going on the road in the playoffs. Hopefully he learned something from it.

Kickers frustrate the hell out of me. As I'm sure they do everyone. I think Gano is fine but not great.

If I could go back to be 16 again I would focus my entire life on becoming a great football place kicker.

How can their not be 32 brilliant place kickers on earth? The NFL needs only 32 of them. It's not like QB where you need to do a thousand things. It's kicking. Yet there only seem to be a handful of elite ones. It's insane to me.

I haven't had confidence in a Redskin kicker since Moseley. I miss this....
Oh the irony. Moseley's career FG% is 65.6% CAREER. Gano's career FG% is 71.7%.

Moseley's best year: 95.2%

Gano's best year: 100%

Moseley's worst year: 54.5%

Gano's worst year: 66.7% (this year)

Let me know when Gano misses 3 FGs in the NFCCG (Moseley did). Moseley was a good kicker. Chip Lohmiller? Worst season was 57.1%. Best? 75%.

Give the kid a chance to develop for cripes sake.

GaNo Good....the dude was last in FG% last season and is 2nd to last this year. I do not think any Redskin fan yesterday actually thought he would make that OT kick. I honestly am not even mad, i knew he'd miss it. U could see in his eyes he was shook before he even lined up.

I will admit, prior to this season I thought lets give this guy a chance. Let the guy have 2 seasons to prove himself and not just one. I mean after two full seasons if he is trending upward and seems to find his way then perhaps he's a keeper. I will admit I was wrong about him. Now...screw it. I want a high pick. Keep him around, he will blow some more important kicks this season. I GUARANTEE IT. He's done it too often.

I know he kicked 3 game winners in OT last year but lets not forget he blew the one vs Houston in OT and he actually missed one at the end of the Tenn game that would have won it. The guy is a 50/50 kicker even though his stats say %66 (which is still a joke).

Let him finish the year...blow some kicks..help our draft status and then dump him at the end of the year.

Oh the irony. Moseley's career FG% is 65.6% CAREER. Gano's career FG% is 71.7%.

Moseley's best year: 95.2%

Gano's best year: 100%

:ols: Come on man, Gano was 100% in '09 but that was for four games. You can't really compare their careers at this point. Moseley played for 16 years for god's sake.

Don't get me wrong, I hope they do give him a chance. Just think we might still have David Akers if they had given him a chance.

---------- Post added November-21st-2011 at 01:31 PM ----------

Lohmiller was pretty good.

Yeah Lohmiller was great too.....but I loved our straight on kicker. :pfft:

Nick Novak.

Steve Suisham.

/thread.

Typical Redskins fans, always bailing when the road gets rocky. I think half of you are closet Dallas fans just telling from how people ***** about the tinest little things in a rebuilding year.

Would you like Gano to hit 50 yard game winners? Sure. But he's a young kicker at a position where most first-time starters at the position are 28-31.

Pretty much. Fans ran both kickers out of town and both are now starters on their respective teams. To be honest, Suisham probably would still be here if it weren't for the fact that Vinny likely scapegoated him and Zorn went along with it.

Funny the people who say that they'd knew he'd miss it, when before yesterday's game he made all of his 50+ field goals.

Course, maybe we should critisize an offense that needs to kick 50+ yard field goals to win the game.

not concerned about Gano. he has a really strong leg but has some accuracy issues which id like to see continually improve over time. its better than a player with questionable leg power and accuracy issues, which is what we've had for a while.

not to mention, the ineptitude of our offense has put him in some tough situations. he's had a lot of long attempts this year and 3 blocked kicks so far. he's not as bad as redskins fans make him out to be and im fine with him for the future.

I agree.....we don't have any better options and he's got a hell of a leg. Still young, let's give him some more time.

Too bad we cut Akers so many moons ago for missing a kick...clearly Gano has missed a ton but he's still young.

And Akers missed 3 yesterday. Life of a kicker.

---------- Post added November-21st-2011 at 01:53 PM ----------

Pretty much. Fans ran both kickers out of town and both are now starters on their respective teams. To be honest, Suisham probably would still be here if it weren't for the fact that Vinny likely scapegoated him and Zorn went along with it.

Funny the people who say that they'd knew he'd miss it, when before yesterday's game he made all of his 50+ field goals.

Course, maybe we should critisize an offense that needs to kick 50+ yard field goals to win the game.

Good post. Quite frankly I'm tired of relying on FGs to win the game. I want the type of offense the Packers have. They never rely on Crosby.

pretty much. Fans ran both kickers out of town and both are now starters on their respective teams. To be honest, suisham probably would still be here if it weren't for the fact that vinny likely scapegoated him and zorn went along with it.

bingo !!!

That fumble on the first possession and the resulting TD is what cost the game. That and our defense's inability to stop Dallas on 3rd down. Blame Gano all you want but if you don't turn the ball over at the beginning of the game and play some defense we never get to the point of needing a long FG to win.

That fumble on the first possession and the resulting TD is what cost the game. That and our defense's inability to stop Dallas on 3rd down. Blame Gano all you want but if you don't turn the ball over at the beginning of the game and play some defense we never get to the point of needing a long FG to win.

When I think of the drive of his first miss, I don't think about the kick, but the wasted opportunity the offense had getting great field position on that punt return, and doing absolutely nothing with it.

By the way' date=' comparing kickers between eras is a sign that you probably have an extra chromosone.[/quote']Dude, Moseley missed 3 FGs in a NFCCG! Gano missed 2 in meaningless Cowboys game, and this place goes apoplectic. He is young, and most kickers need several years to come into their own. He hasn't even been in the league for 2 full seasons yet.

Given that this was a rebuild year anyway, i'm not too upset. If we play smart and get some good draft picks, i say the 2014 season is the serious season for us skins. Thats when Gano is going to have to shine. We can't build a fantastic team and him still be mediocre. Have patience people, nothing was happening this year and we all should expect this for the rest of the season.

The only 2 options left - Win out or lose out. No point in winning 2-3 more games just to knock us back in the draft. Let the non loyal fans sell some tickets so the out of towners like me can get good seats for cheap this year.

By the way, Suisham is still awful. I fully expect the Steelers to lose a playoff game because of him.

My argument is this: This is the era of the kickers who never miss. In Moseley's day, most teams had terrible kickers. Moseley was borderline competent - which made him remarkable. Today, he couldn't kick in the UFL.

To survive in the NFL long term, you need to hit around 80 percent of your kicks and pretty much never miss inside of 40. Them's the rules.

I think the thread title should be changed to read:

"The Offense Just Plain Sucks and Gano's #'s are Negatively Skewed as a Result."

Honestly, any kicker's percentages would suffer if they were constantly kicking 47, 49, 52, 55 yard FG's in lieu of more normal distances of 35, 37, 40 etc. Our offense stalls before most offenses do and our kicker is the one who bears the extra responsibility.

Don't get me wrong, Gano needs to make that kick in OT. It's just that everybody's performance and their relative statistics suffer when an entire unit is as subpar as this one is.

By the way' date=' Suisham is still awful. I fully expect the Steelers to lose a playoff game because of him.

My argument is this: This is the era of the kickers who never miss. In Moseley's day, most teams had terrible kickers. Moseley was borderline competent - which made him remarkable. Today, he couldn't kick in the UFL.

To survive in the NFL long term, you need to hit around 80 percent of your kicks and pretty much never miss inside of 40. Them's the rules.[/quote']

Any he still does that stupid line up thing with his arm..weak leg. I will never forgive him for the Saints game he lost.

As far as Gano....his SLOW development (if any) is costing us games. One problem is that the coaching staff is under the delusion that he can make 50 yard FG on a regualr basis...he cannot and cannot make anything outside of 40 with pressure on him. If he is your kicker of the future, (which I think he is not), quit running him out there for 50+ yarders because "in practice with no on else around, off of a holding tee, he looked good" It is outside of his range. (and yes range does mean makeable, which for him is around 35 and in)

Archived