Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gano Just Plain Sucks....

cheech

Welcome to the light.

Danny Smith is flat out awful.

Just awful.

yet again this year,, if you find one positive from our special teams .. you can negate it with five bad plays.

Kickoffs out of bounds,, inexcusable.

BLOCKED kicks... five in one year,, you should not have five kicks blocked in TEN years.

Again the worst field goal kicker in the league, and this after it looked like he turned the corner.

As I've said for the last 3 years: Danny Smith must go.

He is a drag on the entire football team. His teams are awful. AWFUL. Penalties, sloppy play, unbelievable numbers of missed kicks for whatever reason every single year. Double digit missed field goals AGAIN.

And I'm sure I'll hear more excuses for Why Danny Smith Should Not Be Blamed Because..

and to you I say, just shut it. Just take whatever excuse you've formulated, hold your nose tight and blow it through your ears, because it will not be acceptable.

There is no defense left that even Mrs. Danny Smith can argue for him.

Fire Danny Smith. The second the season is over. Shanahan should take off his headset when the final whistle of 2011 blows, and then immediately turn to Smith and fire him.

Then he should go shake the opposing coach's hand.

~Bang

welcome back Bang... we missed you.......... don't know who that other guy was for the past month or so.. :ols:

Here's my question, is the blame really on Danny Smith or our o-line coach? I get that Danny is in charge of special teams plays, but blocking for a kick is pretty rudimentary stuff. I just don't see there being that many different blocking schemes to a field goal.

This seems to be more on technique and guys just flat out getting beat in the 1 second that it takes to get the kick off which is mind blowing to have it happen so often. I do think Gano not getting height on short kicks hurts us as well, so it's a combo of bad o-line play along with a bad kicker IMO.

Our kickoff and punt coverage has been top half of the league I believe, I can't see blaming Smith for pathetic blocking and a horrible kicker.

I have no love for Danny Smith. If he needs to go to get things hopping then let's show him the door.

I'll be shocked if Gano survives this week.

- I wouldn't have allowed Danny Smith or Gano to travel back with the team last night. If i were Shanny i would have made them pay for their own plane tickets.

---------- Post added November-28th-2011 at 10:36 AM ----------

Here's my question, is the blame really on Danny Smith or our o-line coach? I get that Danny is in charge of special teams plays, but blocking for a kick is pretty rudimentary stuff. I just don't see there being that many different blocking schemes to a field goal.

This seems to be more on technique and guys just flat out getting beat in the 1 second that it takes to get the kick off which is mind blowing to have it happen so often. I do think Gano not getting height on short kicks hurts us as well, so it's a combo of bad o-line play along with a bad kicker IMO.

Our kickoff and punt coverage has been top half of the league I believe, I can't see blaming Smith for pathetic blocking and a horrible kicker.

Well how do we explain the kick-off out of bounds right after the blocked FG? At some point Smith has to be held accountable.

This is a valid question. Also our Kicking coverage has been really good. However, Danny has had multiple seasons to get that squad rolling and we never seem to have adequate FG kicking, place kicking, or returns. I feel like Brandon Banks would be lighting up TDs every week on another team. I don't want to call for someone's head because I admittedly don't have very good Xs and Os knowledge but as a fan I'm tired of having sub-par special teams.

respectfully, hold your nose, and blow this out your ears.

Not ACCEPTABLE.

It's always something for Danny Smith. His charges make mistake after mistake after mistake, and someone always looks somewhere else.

You do blame Smith for horrible blocking and you do blame him for a pathetic kicker.

OL coaches don't drill field goals, special teams coaches do.

Five blocked kicks in a single season should get ANY special teams coach fired.

Nevermind that our special teams are consistently losing games for this team, continually harming this team, and for some reason, continually keeping their coach when week after week after year after year it is apparent that the only thing he does for the Redskins is chew gum and screw up football games.

enough excuses for this guy.

~Bang

what in the world??? his misses were BLOCKED. can't wait for us to draft a kicker who can phase the ball through solid objects.

I'm surprised that people are still making excuses to defend Gano.

His missed FG in the Cowboys game wasn't "BLOCKED." His kickoff out of bounds yesterday wasn't "BLOCKED." No one's holding "BLOCKED" kicks against Gano. The problem is with all of the other whiffed kicks that aren't "BLOCKED."

For the second year in a row, Gano is going to finish at the bottom of the barrel in FG %. Even subtracting his "BLOCKED" kicks from this season puts him in the bottom of the league in FG % for this year.

So please FO, get him out of here and pick up a proven kicker in FA. It really is one position that I don't mind being addressed in FA and age isn't a factor like it is with most other positions.

I'm surprised that people are still making excuses to defend Gano.

His missed FG in the Cowboys game wasn't "BLOCKED." His kickoff out of bounds yesterday wasn't "BLOCKED." No one's holding "BLOCKED" kicks against Gano. The problem is with all of the other whiffed kicks that aren't "BLOCKED."

For the second year in a row, Gano is going to finish at the bottom of the barrel in FG %. Even subtracting his "BLOCKED" kicks from this season puts him in the bottom of the league in FG % for this year.

So please FO, get him out of here and pick up a proven kicker in FA. It really is one position that I don't mind being addressed in FA and age isn't a factor like it is with most other positions.

I honestly would prefer to go for it on every 4th down and attempt 2 point conversions on every TD. , maybe be higher percentage making it on 4th than it is for Guano making anything.

Well how do we explain the kick-off out of bounds right after the blocked FG? At some point Smith has to be held accountable.

I'm not really trying to defend him as much as I'm just trying to look at the root of the problem. If he's the guy saying Gano is our man and putting our o-line together then by all means, he can be shown the door right along with Gano.

I like our coverage though, which I directly link to a ST coach. I just can't seem to blame him for a kicker shanking a kickoff and being a league leader in misses.

I'm not really trying to defend him as much as I'm just trying to look at the root of the problem. If he's the guy saying Gano is our man and putting our o-line together then by all means, he can be shown the door right along with Gano.

I like our coverage though, which I directly link to a ST coach. I just can't seem to blame him for a kicker shanking a kickoff and being a league leader in misses.

Coverages are one aspect of special teams, I would also say that just about every special teams covers rather well with a few exceptions. Covering kicks is not that difficult to coach, as is obvious by our completely incompetent gum chomping buffoon of a ST coach managing to get it right.. You cannot do one thing good and the rest so bad that it costs us games.

Not acceptable.

Smith MUST go.

When you look for roots to the problems on special teams, and you look at how many problems we consistently have on special teams,, missed kicks, blocked kicks, unbelievably bad penalties.. there's one main thread to all of them. And it's Smith.

I know people will point to Sav Rocca and say "See??!" and I'd say that after throwing **** at the wall for 7 years he finally managed to find a punter. (a castoff)

And I would also say that if Bobo the Amazing Musical Chimp was our special teams coach, Rocca would be booming the hell out of the ball anyway.

In fact, is Bobo busy? Can we pick him up for the rest of the season to coach our special teams?

~Bang

I would side with you on this had it been an issue for 1 or 2 seasons. But i don't think its a coincidence that the issues that plague us this season has been a problem since he's been here. I pretty much agree with the concensus that Smith needs to be shown the door, along with Gano.

Hand to God:

I know a lot about football, but I have no earthly idea what it is that special team coaches do. But I do know this: Some teams seemingly always have good special teams and some teams seemingly always stink on special teams.

I only know who Mike Westoff is, because he was the most enjoyable character in the history of Hard Knocks. But the Jets are always awesome on special teams. And it's not like their roster overwhelms you with talent anywhere else.

The Redskins have an overall talent issue and that seems to apply to special teams as well. But, my god, they are always mediocre to bad. I don't know if Danny Smith is to blame, but he is obviously not helping.

i find it weird that im on the "keep Gano" side of the debate. its strange because i loathed JC and wanted him gone years before he went to Oakland. something about Gano though, i like. he has a heck of a foot and i feel like he is much better than stats show and that fans give him credit for.

i also dont how it affects a kicker when he knows that nearly every kick could get blocked.. id assume its not good.

but overall, i feel like he's about the same as suisham in performance, yet Gano can hit further field goals, his kickoffs dont suck, and he still has plenty of time to improve. so barring the awesome fg kicking options out there, i'll stick with Gano.

Coverages are one aspect of special teams, I would also say that just about every special teams covers rather well with a few exceptions. Covering kicks is not that difficult to coach, as is obvious by our completely incompetent gum chomping buffoon of a ST coach managing to get it right.. You cannot do one thing good and the rest so bad that it costs us games.

Not acceptable.

Smith MUST go.

When you look for roots to the problems on special teams, and you look at how many problems we consistently have on special teams,, missed kicks, blocked kicks, unbelievably bad penalties.. there's one main thread to all of them. And it's Smith.

I know people will point to Sav Rocca and say "See??!" and I'd say that after throwing **** at the wall for 7 years he finally managed to find a punter. (a castoff)

And I would also say that if Bobo the Amazing Musical Chimp was our special teams coach, Rocca would be booming the hell out of the ball anyway.

In fact, is Bobo busy? Can we pick him up for the rest of the season to coach our special teams?

~Bang

Again I don't want to be stuck in the I'm defending Smith crowd, if he is responsible for hanging on to Gano, he should go too. I just had doubts on if it's Smith or if our o-line coach had any accountability with the blocks. I'm all for bringing in someone that gets us out of the bottom of the league in FG% and can make Banks as dangerous as we all know he is on punt returns.

I would side with you on this had it been an issue for 1 or 2 seasons. But i don't think its a coincidence that the issues that plague us this season has been a problem since he's been here. I pretty much agree with the concensus that Smith needs to be shown the door, along with Gano.

I guess I always kind of took the approach of ST being more of a personnel thing than coaching, quality depth means better ST. I will claim ignorance on not knowing Smith is the reason we held on to Gano, I thought it was more the GM & HC.

Yesterday the line blocked very well all game long. We even had a 100 yard rusher and a 300 yard passer.

Yet it was horrendous on special teams. It's been bad on ST all year long.

Something's got to give...besides the interior line.

Actually, Grossman spent a lot of time on his back, and this is facing one of the worst pass rushing lines in the league. They did a solid job early on, but later Grossman was continually seeing pressure.

As for Helu, his stats look better after that 28 yard run, which was mostly him being able to shake a couple of defenders. Without that run, he was rushing for a paltry 3.6 yards a carry.

I didn't see a whole lot of trajectory on any of Gano's attempts. Even the last made FG appeared to be tipped. I'm not sure who is left out there as a FA but I think we can do better at this position. With kickoffs moved to the 35, John Carney and Morten Anderson could kick it to the end zone. At this point in the season I would call up Brandon Pace, one of VT's most successful kickers. Denver gave him a look in 2007 but he couldn't supplant Elam.

No matter who we have at kicker, the fans will hate him. Nick Novak was run out of town, and now is San Diego's full time kicker. Shaun Suisham was brought in to replace Novak, but was run out of town too, and now he is the Steelers full time kicker. Gano has hit from 59 yards, if we get rid of him, is there any doubt that he will develop into a stud elsewhere?

Actually, Grossman spent a lot of time on his back, and this is facing one of the worst pass rushing lines in the league. They did a solid job early on, but later Grossman was continually seeing pressure.

As for Helu, his stats look better after that 28 yard run, which was mostly him being able to shake a couple of defenders. Without that run, he was rushing for a paltry 3.6 yards a carry.

Grossman had more time to pass in this game than he did in any game this season, easily. He frequently held the ball too long, and even so he was only sacked once.

I could say "take away that one sack" to prove that the line had a stellar game on offense. But pretending things didn't happen doesn't make sense.

Grossman had more time to pass in this game than he did in any game this season, easily. He frequently held the ball too long, and even so he was only sacked once.

I could say "take away that one sack" to prove that the line had a stellar game on offense. But pretending things didn't happen doesn't make sense.

don't worry i saw the Oline the same way yesterday.

I never understood why people say..."take away this run or pass". The play happened. If you take away the 28 yarder, then take away the -3 yard run too.

Archived