Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gano Just Plain Sucks....

cheech

Gano isn't the problem. Could we upgrade during the offseason, probably. But if that issue is addressed before one of the many, many issues that we have, we're not addressing our priorities in correct order.

What's funny is that Suisham and Novak are kicking in this league. Not saying they are exactly the next Akers, but it's funny how our trash can manage to stick with an NFL team. Might be evidence that finding rock solid kickers might not be as easy as we think.

Gano has a booming leg and rarely shanks a field goal attempt. I've see him hit posts and pull one way or another, but I rarely see him utterly f up. The good news is that he's been finding his way while our team is trying to do the same. He hasn't held us back. He should compete for the job next year and, unless we bring in a dynamite kicker, have the early edge.

What's funny is that Suisham and Novak are kicking in this league. Not saying they are exactly the next Akers, but it's funny how our trash can manage to stick with an NFL team. Might be evidence that finding rock solid kickers might not be as easy as we think.

Novak is having a fine season, and would likely point me toward it being evidence that our dancing monkey special teams coach wouldn't know a good kicker or what to do with one if it came up and kicked him thru the goal posts.

~Bang

Novak is having a fine season, and would likely point me toward it being evidence that our dancing monkey special teams coach wouldn't know a good kicker or what to do with one if it came up and kicked him thru the goal posts.

~Bang

Novak also has a going problem, or is it a groin problem? I get them cornfused, but I do know i'm not going to HIS house for drinks anytime soon!

We need a solid kicker, no doubt, but we also need a solid qb, wr, o-line, etc etc etc; Gano is not a problem that MUST be addressed ASAP; he has a strong leg, and yes he's missed some, but every other kicker has as well, so just settle down and focus on the more important issues at hand. He's leading the team in points scored, if it weren't for him, we'd have alot of goose-eggs on the scoreboard, just keep that in mind.

Novak also has a going problem, or is it a groin problem? I get them cornfused, but I do know i'm not going to HIS house for drinks anytime soon!

We need a solid kicker, no doubt, but we also need a solid qb, wr, o-line, etc etc etc; Gano is not a problem that MUST be addressed ASAP; he has a strong leg, and yes he's missed some, but every other kicker has as well, so just settle down and focus on the more important issues at hand. He's leading the team in points scored, if it weren't for him, we'd have alot of goose-eggs on the scoreboard, just keep that in mind.

Gano is not a problem that must be addressed.

We can address all of his problems by getting rid of Danny Smith.

~Bang

You're defending a player that folds when it counts ? Really ?

Of kickers with more than 10 field goal attempts, he is 32nd this season for conversion percentage. Last season, he was dead last, at 37th. THIRTY-****ING-SEVENTH !

This year, he is 13-7 for field goal attempts between 30 and 50 yards.

Ok, he sucked his rookie year. But he sucks his second year, too. If he can't kick under pressure, find somebody else.

Well folks act like he didn't hit a few clutch ones and in OT last year...just trying to quiet the doomsday-everything is hopelessly horrible thing going on around here. The team is closer to good than most think, and Gano isn't as horrible as some think. And again, a nice little handful of his misses were bad holds/blocks. It only takes a few of those to plummet the kickers stats. I'm willing to bet we have the most kicks blocked in the league.

And besides, who do you get? Aren't we tired of rotating kickers so often? I bet we're first in the league in that, too.

Just a suggestion.. but I was bored at work and was looking around to see if there may be some one we could bring in for a tryout... not to demoralize Gano, but maybe even share duties (although the roster spot may be hard to come by. I think Gano has done a decent job and I'm not looking for him to leave by any means... but I introduce to you free agent Jeff Wolfert...

In his first season, Wolfert was a perfect 45 for 45 on extra points and 18 for 20 on field goals, getting him a head start toward becoming the NCAA's Most Accurate Kicker. A highlight of Wolfert's career came when he helped his team beat the University of Kansas in 2007 leading his team to a #1 ranking in the BCS. In his collegiate career, Wolfert never missed an extra point, going a perfect 185 for 185. Wolfert broke Missouri's all-time scoring record and ended his career as the NCAA’s Most Accurate Kicker of all-time.

During the UFL Omaha Nighthawks inaugural season, Wolfert handled all placekicking and kickoff duties. During his first game with the Nighthawks, Wolfert kicked the game winning extra point in front of a sold out stadium with over 23,000 screaming fans! Known for his accuracy in college, Wolfert has yet again succeeded in being the UFL’s most accurate kicker for the 2010 season with 90% accuracy. Though critics have previously cited a lack of leg strength on kickoffs, Wolfert’s hard work in the off season has paid off as he averaged 68.5 yards on kickoffs and has recorded 6 of 23 (26%) touchbacks during his first professional season. He looks to continue his professional career either with the NFL or the UFL.

Lou Groza Award Semifinalist (2006)

Hon. Men. All-Big 12 (Associated Press, Coaches) (2006)

Team Walk-On Player of the Year (2006)

1st-Team Academic All-Big 12 (2006)

Hon. Men. All-American (Sports Illustrated) (2007)

1st-Team All-Big 12 (Associated Press, Dallas Morning News, Ft. Worth Star-Telegram, Waco Tribune-Herald) (2007)

2nd-Team All-Big 12 (Coaches) (2007)

Big 12 Special Teams Player of the Week (Nov. 26) (2007)

1st-Team Academic All-Big 12 (2007)

Lou Groza Award Semifinalist (2008)

1st Team All-Big 12 (Associated Press, Coaches) (2008)

Holds several Missouri school records- including single-season and career scoring records

185 for 185 on extra point attempts.

Keep Gano on kickoffs and 50+ attempts?

Just a thought...

Thread title should be changed to "Benedict Arnold Fans".

Guess I was blessed with being around when the Superbowls were rolling in every few years, and no signs of mass internet hysteria and pirate ship-hopping people.

Oh, Janet Jackson singing "what have you done for me lately" should be blaring out of some homes right about now...

Guess I was blessed with being around when the Superbowls were rolling in every few years, and no signs of mass internet hysteria and pirate ship-hopping people.

Oh, Janet Jackson singing "what have you done for me lately" should be blaring out of some homes right about now...

Yeah, back then no one got cursed by fans.

:rolleyes:

the NFL has always been a "what have you done for me lately" environment.

the best way to keep fans on your side... don't miss your kicks.

~Bang

posted this in another thread.. its something to consider for those that hate gano.

so what do kicking stats look like for each kicker when given 4 blocks?

akers 83.8%

bailey 78.1%

barth 76.9%

gould 74.1%

seabass 79.25

nugent 78.3%

bryant 76.2%

carpenter 70.8%

hanson 70.8%

crosby 71.4%

dawson 70.8%

mare 70.8%

hauschka 71.4%

scoobee 70%

cundiff 64.5%

kasay 67.1%

rackers 69.2%

novack 65.4%

bironas 69.6%

grotkowski 66.6%

henery 66.6%

suisham 62.5%

succop 65%

folk 57.1%

longwell 60%

brown 63.2%

prater 55%

vinateiri 64.7%

feely 50%

lindell 66.6%

tynes 68.8%

id say Gano has been middle of the road at worst, unless you want to debate that the blocks are his fault..

^Those numbers are just taking made field goals away from each player. Using that as a comparison is assuming that Gano would have made every kick that was blocked.

Removing 4 blocked kicks from his total number of field goal attempts this year would put Gano at 21/26, or 80%. Which puts him at 24th in the league. That's without removing blocked kicks from anyone else's attempts, which would put him lower. I'd say he's been middle of the road at best.

Also, it's nice to see Shaun Suisham working his way down the rankings.

I was around back then too. It was great. Many of us knew it was a special time and tried to enjoy it. What we didn't know was how bad things would get. One of the analysts on the Jets game broadcast mentioned that the Skins had only two winning seasons during the past 11 years. Now that really sucks. "What have you done for me lately (including the last decade or more)?" - not much of anything!

Mark Moseley wasn't a top in the league kicker (actually ranked in the middle of the pack or bottom tier each season) and yet he is loved by so many?

Different era of kickers. If you got 70% out of your kicker back then, you NEVER let them go. The standard is 80% now or better. But I want Smith gone first, then I'll reserve judgement on Gano with a new coach.

Different era of kickers. If you got 70% out of your kicker back then, you NEVER let them go. The standard is 80% now or better. But I want Smith gone first, then I'll reserve judgement on Gano with a new coach.

I keep hearing that but go on nfl.com - look up kicker stats for the seasons Moseley played and you'll see he was average and Chip was below average...there were a lot of kickers that kicked over 65-70% - especially around '83 and up

---------- Post added December-5th-2011 at 09:22 PM ----------

Mark Moseley's League Rankings:

24, 14, 13, 13, 20, 17, 9, 1, 26, 12, 18, 9, 20

Chip Lohmiller's League Rankings:

17, 20, 15 ,18, 15 , 28, 25, 33, 7

a total of 4 80% + rankings between the 2 in 22 seasons.

Are people just praising these 2 because we won super bowls during their tenure here and praise everyone on those teams because of that and not looking at overall careers/seasons that they had individually?

---------- Post added December-5th-2011 at 09:36 PM ----------

^Those numbers are just taking made field goals away from each player. Using that as a comparison is assuming that Gano would have made every kick that was blocked.

Removing 4 blocked kicks from his total number of field goal attempts this year would put Gano at 21/26, or 80%. Which puts him at 24th in the league. That's without removing blocked kicks from anyone else's attempts, which would put him lower. I'd say he's been middle of the road at best.

Also, it's nice to see Shaun Suisham working his way down the rankings.

It's not taking makes away from others...it's adding blocks to their overall attempts (while keeping the same # of made fgs). Which is the most fair way to put together the information. Also, 80% is pretty solid considering the amount of fg's he got to attempt. Others are attempting 8+ less than Gano is

It's not taking makes away from others...it's adding blocks to their overall attempts (while keeping the same # of made fgs). Which is the most fair way to put together the information. Also, 80% is pretty solid considering the amount of fg's he got to attempt. Others are attempting 8+ less than Gano is

Those numbers are compiled by counting made field goals as misses, minus the number of kicks they actually had blocked.

For instance:

Rob Bironas is actually 20/23 on the season with 0 blocked kicks. That's 87%.

Adding 4 kicks to his attempts would put him at 74%. That wasn't the number given.

By removing 4 made kicks and putting him 16/23 he is 69%, which is what the above post lists him as.

Doing it this way isn't realistic or fair. It's taking good kicks away from everyone except Graham Gano.

we should start by getting rid of danny smith. if gano still struggles, then sign a free agent. i dont think we should draft a kicker until our offense gets better. we need all our picks to fill holes in the offense/defense. and once we start scoring touchdowns, we wont rely on our kicker so much.

posted this in another thread.. its something to consider for those that hate gano.

so what do kicking stats look like for each kicker when given 4 blocks?

id say Gano has been middle of the road at worst, unless you want to debate that the blocks are his fault..

This is a good point, unfortunately I feel like Gano, as a kicker will always be somewhat limited. In this league, you need a very dependable guy who can do much better than "middle of the pack."

we should start by getting rid of danny smith. if gano still struggles, then sign a free agent. i dont think we should draft a kicker until our offense gets better. we need all our picks to fill holes in the offense/defense. and once we start scoring touchdowns, we wont rely on our kicker so much.

^^^^ Look who I posted at the top of the page.....

at this point bailing on gano would probably be a bad decision; and for what it's worth i've never been supportive of gano.

our team is not a playoff contender, and may not be next year. we're better off hoping we can fix gano and he can mature into an accurate kicker by the time we are playoff contenders so that he can make the difference in a game.

if we were a playoff contender then i'd still believe we need to find someone else...

either way, the problem with replacing him is you have to have a better option. i don't think there is a better option available in free agency, and the normally isn't one. so we'd have to draft a guy or sign him as a UDFA, and we'd be right back where we started :(

crap situation

I keep hearing that but go on nfl.com - look up kicker stats for the seasons Moseley played and you'll see he was average and Chip was below average...there were a lot of kickers that kicked over 65-70% - especially around '83 and up

Back prior to the 1990s, most kickers were serviceable under say 75%. It was when Morten Anderson and Gary Anderson came to prominance in the late 80s that the standard went up. I know Mosely and Lohmiller by today's standards are average to terrible kickers and I don't put them up on a pedalstool, but that's the way it was. I don't want to make this an age thing as I see you are 24, but you have to have seen the type of kicking back then to appreciate Mark and Chip during their time. It's really hard to explain if you didn't witness it.

A few of examples. Look up Ray Wershing's stats for the 49ers. He was not that great. Jim Breach for the Bengals. Matt Bahr. These guys were considered the best at their positions in the 70s and 80s, but wouldn't make the cut today.

Back prior to the 1990s, most kickers were serviceable under say 75%. It was when Morten Anderson and Gary Anderson came to prominance in the late 80s that the standard went up. I know Mosely and Lohmiller by today's standards are average to terrible kickers and I don't put them up on a pedalstool, but that's the way it was. I don't want to make this an age thing as I see you are 24, but you have to have seen the type of kicking back then to appreciate Mark and Chip during their time. It's really hard to explain if you didn't witness it.

A few of examples. Look up Ray Wershing's stats for the 49ers. He was not that great. Jim Breach for the Bengals. Matt Bahr. These guys were considered the best at their positions in the 70s and 80s, but wouldn't make the cut today.

Oh I fully understand that - but the way people around here make it seem as if they were the God's of Kicking when they were ranked in the average or below average.

Watching Gano, he looks good. He doesn't miss bad (they are close misses - even though a miss is still a miss). His kickoffs are great and he really isn't having a bad year outside of the blocked kicks considering the distances he's having to kick from.

Archived