Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gano Just Plain Sucks....

cheech

You know, in the past, oh nearly a decade now, we've had lots of different kickers, and they've all been crap. The one constant is Danny Smith. I'd like to see him get replaced since replacing the kicker hasn't been successful so far.

Please, Danny Smith has naughty pictures of Shanny, Allen, -and- Snyder.. It's the only thing that makes sense..

Please, Danny Smith has naughty pictures of Shanny, Allen, -and- Snyder.. It's the only thing that makes sense..

:ols: It's got to be something. I had stuck up for the guy a couple years ago, but we've had issues on STs that have never been fixed with new personnel. I know nothing will get done this off-season, just putting "fire Danny Smith" on my wish list.

Gano has rebounded well to end the season. 4 straight games w/o a miss. I'd like to see a pressure kick out of him in crunchtime but the opportunity hasn't presented itself. He's earned a chance to fight for the position in TC next year

He's had multiple game winners in his short career and hitting a 53 yarder to tie today was nothing to be ashamed of. His faults come when he has no one blocking for him. granted, he has, like most kickers, missed a couple that would have benefited looking back but that happens every game around the league. Everyone also seems to miss the fact that he makes 4 fg's throught a game and had 1 miss (when our offense isn't scoring touchdowns it's hard to lay a loss on a kicker that goes 4-5, 3-4, etc)

Kickers go through streaky stretches of the "yips" like golfers, where for a stretch it seems they can't make a putt. Right now, Gano is doing well and still kicking the kickoffs deep. That's enough to make the Skins the number two in the NFL defending tkickoffs. Sure, bring someone in next year for competition, but basically, I think we've found a good young kicker. I'd say keep him.

Gano was very strong today, very confident and dead on target. I like this kicker.

ioverall I think he's had a very strong season,, he had a bad miss or two about three weeks ago, one bad one in week one.

The problems in our kicking game this season do not stem from Gano.

He's a keeper.

~Bang

I'm not buying the "no pressure" on the kicks Gano has been making. When you've had as many misses and blocks as Gano every attempt may be your last.

I am more applying to big game situations that can make or break the Skins season. Early in the year when the games meant alot to the Skins Gano was missing the kicks. Now that the Skins are out of the playoffs Gano is making meaningless kicks is all that I am saying. Yes, Shanny put Gano on notice and yes Gano has performed now but I want to see him make the kicks in big time games ala Cowboys OT game and not just chip shots neither. I mean 45 yard plus kicks to seal a game.

---------- Post added December-25th-2011 at 09:58 PM ----------

Gano doesn't seem to struggle with pressure kicks so much as he does general consistency and you're flat out wrong about him having a tendency to blow 50+ yard kicks. His problem area is from the 30-45 yards out, where he should be at or above 80% but is actually closer to 66%. He's been about as good from 50+ as can reasonably expected, he's tied with Dan Bailey from that range and is only one miss behind matching Janikowski and Prater.

He's 14/14 since the block.

And you are wrong, Gano is 30 for 39 and four of the nine misses have been 49 plus yards.

I am more applying to big game situations that can make or break the Skins season. Early in the year when the games meant alot to the Skins Gano was missing the kicks. Now that the Skins are out of the playoffs Gano is making meaningless kicks is all that I am saying. Yes, Shanny put Gano on notice and yes Gano has performed now but I want to see him make the kicks in big time games ala Cowboys OT game and not just chip shots neither. I mean 45 yard plus kicks to seal a game.

He only truly "missed" one, his first attempt vs the Giants in week one.

He had 5 blocked, and I don't think they're on him.

He didn't miss again til after the halfway point, and he had two that he missed.

I think I'd be alright with him having to nail a 45 yarder to win a big game,, but the other ten guys who trot out there with him.. I don't trust as much.

~Bang

Gano was very strong today, very confident and dead on target. I like this kicker.

ioverall I think he's had a very strong season,, he had a bad miss or two about three weeks ago, one bad one in week one.

The problems in our kicking game this season do not stem from Gano.

He's a keeper.

~Bang

to be fair to the guy, hes also been stuck with 45+ yarders and hes expected to make every one of them. its not like hes shanking chip shots every other attempt. I hope he sticks around

Gano has to go. Or at least bring in some competition.

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/citydesk/2011/11/22/how-long-has-graham-gano-got/

Dave Mckenna highlighted in one of his articles:

"Gano, who-last season was the worst kicker in the NFL statistically and has had more kicks blocked or shanked this season than anybody else with his job, missed a 52-yarder with the game on the line against Dallas."

So Gano is not improving or getting any better, he seems to be getting worse. I wish we could have snagged David Akers.

Think Akers wouldn't have five blocks this year when you saw how fast they broke the line?

It's as clear as it can possibly be what the problem with our special teams is.

Danny Smith

it doesn't matter who the kicker is. He's had several, and we finished dead last in field goal % in 4 of the last 7 years.

~Bang

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/citydesk/2011/11/22/how-long-has-graham-gano-got/

"Gano, who-last season was the worst kicker in the NFL statistically and has had more kicks blocked or shanked this season than anybody else with his job, missed a 52-yarder with the game on the line against Dallas."

So Gano is not improving or getting any better, he seems to be getting worse. I wish we could have snagged David Akers.

Have you read the thread? Or just the 1st page? People act like a kicker getting 4 kicks blocked doesnt mess with his psyche. Its similar to a QB who plays behind a weak O line and gets sacked alot. Hes gonna start rushing kicks because he knows hes got a 50/50 chance of it getting blocked, because the guys in front of him cant stop anyone.

Dude, it was a 52-yarder. Not exactly a chipshot. There's probably a handful of kickers who can make that consistently.

Aside from that, blocked kicks are rarely the kickers fault. If a kicker is slow at his wind-up or kicks the ball low, then yes. But most of the blocked kicks have been short to medium length which means he would have been kicking the ball higher. The blocks were because of penetration from the defense.

Gano has been fairly solid otherwise.

Think Akers wouldn't have five blocks this year when you saw how fast they broke the line?

It's as clear as it can possibly be what the problem with our special teams is.

Danny Smith

it doesn't matter who the kicker is. He's had several, and we finished dead last in field goal % in 4 of the last 7 years.

~Bang

I'm not defending Danny Smith, but i think a lack of NFL quality depth on the OL has been an big issue in those seven years. A lot of blocked kicks/bad snaps/unblocked players through the years.

As with most issues, you could pin this on Vinnie. I don't see the point at this time, but you could. And anyways....how can a guy who chews his gum so angrily not be a good coach? I can see why Shanny likes him. ;)

Gano has been a bright spot this year, him being kept isn't even in question at this point barring a major breakdown

It's interesting that you posted an article from November and then said "Gano is not improving or getting better", when in fact, he hasn't missed a kick since the week that article came out.

Just saying...

Archived