Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rotoworld.com: Landry Inactive for this Sunday

kubstix

+1

I still cant believe it took as long as it did for our coaches to realize his strength is at the LOS attacking the ball. Zorn or Blache had him at SS for one game, versus Oakland, and he dominated. I think he caused 2 fumbles. Only to be relegated back to FS. I am still thrilled we finally got a coach that finally uses him to his strengths. I am still surprised how much resistance us move Landry to SS fans met here.

The thing he brings at the LOS that impresses me to no end, when we let him blitz, he is fast to find the gap and get to the QB. I want to see him blitz a bit more this year. We need this guy healthy otherwise our defense will struggle. He is our best player on defense when healthy.

There wasn't resisitance, it was just that after Sean's death Laron was the best FS on the team and, arguably, the only player we had who could play it well. He did a great job by being that single high safety for us and covering the entire field, basically giving us an extra guy in the box on virtually every down. If you need to blame someone, blame Vinny for not addressing it and bringing in a solid FS after Sean's death so that Laron can move back to SS. In hindsight, that was clearly a bad move (or lack thereof), but I also understand why it wasn't a priority. Laron did help our defense playing at FS, as he was often the only guy taking care of the deep ball.

We stopped caring about FS LaRon when the real coaching staff came in and put him in his real position (the position Coach Gibbs & Coach Williams drafted him to play here). He didn't wiff on tackles last season. Reed sucks balls. He gets picked on by opposing offense because he is day late and a dollar short. He also struggled during the preseason smh.

Hail!

I don't understand why you have to make it a point to take a shot at Doughty in every possible thread you get the chance. I've watched you post on this board for a year now, and i've seen you on more occasions than I can remember gush all over useless POS players like DT and AH, at times practically annointing them as the best players to ever play their positions, but it seems like ever since the first day you stepped foot in here you've done nothing but bash one of the hardest working Redskins to ever wear the unfiorm. Why is it so hard for some fans to simply show some respect for the men that wear the uniform of the team that they claim to love? Its players like him, that despite their shortcomings bust their ass to try to make themselves and the team they play for better. Its players like him that embody the true meaning of what a Redskin is supposed to be. I guess i'm getting old, and just see the game different than some of you do. To each their own I guess. :whoknows:

The redskins training stuff doesn't seem to do a good job rehabing guys. They do a good job keeping guys from getting hurt but once they are hurt, its going to be a long term deal....it also doesn't help that LL can't stop lifting weights.

LL isn't exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer.

My gut is this injury is worse than being reported and needs more time to heal. Evidence: The report of an MRI showing a spot or tweak...can't remember the exact verbiage...but I don't think Landry is going to be close to ready until closer to the bye.

Here's why I think that: We're assuming now that he won't rush himself back on the field before his hamstring is ready....at least that is a wise assumption but I'm not so sure Landry isn't the one doing the rushing. With Landry tweeting what he tweeted today, it sounds like he's not being realistic about what it will take to get this thing healed up and he's blaiming the staff in frustration.

I don't think the staff is rushing him at all and I think there's a good reason for that. On the contrary, I'd be willing to be a ****-ton of money that it was Landry saying he's good to go and they don't want him on the field b/c he's going to risk further injury.

They (Landry and the staff...but mostly Landry) need to keep him off of the field and baby this thing until he can stay on the practice field for an entire week without set-backs. Then and only then he should be given the green light.

Something doesn't smell right because the staff wouldn't have rushed any player (or slowed a player's treatment based on Landry's comments) without confidence that the injury was fully healed. I think the medical staff is doing what's best for the player/franchise and that's what they're paid to do.

Our roster is thin at safety, but one player shouldn't mean a win or loss. The Colts found a way to win without Bob and the Steelers find a way to win without Troy when he's out....sit him until he can go.

I'd be more pissed if they rushed him onto the field week 1 and he ripped his hammy in the second quarter leading to a season-long issue. Not worth it for one or even a handful of games...especially with a week 5 bye. I think he got the message based on his locker room apology.

It's been interesting to watch Shanahan coach.

From being secretive in announcing the starters for each game, his secrecy with injury reports..... but also how conservative he manages injured players. Almost overly conservative.

I've really enjoyed watching Shanahan coach... and watching the intracacies of his style.

Greeeaaatttt, another week of dealing with Doughty and his no coverage and no tackling! :puke:

I get the no coverage comment. However, his tackling ability is statistically speaking one of the best in the league. I think he even ranked tops in 2009. Look it up.

HTTR

It's been interesting to watch Shanahan coach.

From being secretive in announcing the starters for each game, his secrecy with injury reports..... but also how conservative he manages injured players. Almost overly conservative.

I've really enjoyed watching Shanahan coach... and watching the intracacies of his style.

Well, he did spend time at camp with Belichick after he got fired.

I don't understand why you have to make it a point to take a shot at Doughty in every possible thread you get the chance. I've watched you post on this board for a year now, and i've seen you on more occasions than I can remember gush all over useless POS players like DT and AH, at times practically annointing them as the best players to ever play their positions, but it seems like ever since the first day you stepped foot in here you've done nothing but bash one of the hardest working Redskins to ever wear the unfiorm. Why is it so hard for some fans to simply show some respect for the men that wear the uniform of the team that they claim to love? Its players like him, that despite their shortcomings bust their ass to try to make themselves and the team they play for better. Its players like him that embody the true meaning of what a Redskin is supposed to be. I guess i'm getting old, and just see the game different than some of you do. To each their own I guess. :whoknows:

Okay so what makes Reed the hardest working Redskin to ever wear the uniform? The fact remains that he wouldn't crack half the rosters in the NFL and if you actually think he is the opitomy of a Washington Redskin, then that is your opinion. I respect him to a point but when he is getting beat AS HE OFTEN does on obvious passing downs, I question the coaching staff and why they even allow him to consistently be put in a position to fail, he should be a special teams contributor only or put in to blitz. PERIOD.

That's why he's a backup for us. Him getting beat on a jump ball against Andre Johnson isn't the most damning thing in the world either.

Any "super smart" safety would realize that there is no way in hades that they would win a jump ball contest with Andre Johnson. The smart play was to have leveled him and taken the penalty.

Doughty's problem isn't even his coverage skills. He knows the right place to be, he knows the proper technique to defend passes, he is jut not athletic/fast enough to pull it off with some of the athletic recievers he goes up against. People that are saying he sucks and he should be cut...he won't be cut just for the sake of cutting him. Until another backup shows they know what they're doing and gain the coaches confidence he's staying on the team. They dont sell backup safeties at Walmart and when you do get one they dont come preassembled.

Bold prediction: if Landry is actually out, DeJon Gomes gets the start opposite Atogwe

I'm with you 100 percent. Gomes has impressed me the most out of the rookie class this preseason, aside from Jenkins and Kerrigan.

Great steal by Shanny, Gomes is a player. Always in the right spot, not an athletic guy really, but a football smart one. I'm sure he'll see some time whether Reed starts or not. (He probably will)

He played a role similiar to the one Landry plays for us with the Huskers. A SS playing at LB depth, should be interesting.

Guild of Gomes hahaha

Hope Laron heals up for the latter part of the schedule.

Okay Reed. If that makes you feel better then so be it :cool:

Lets play devils advocate then. Any "super smart" safety wouldn't talk **** to DeSean Jackson, only to give up a 80 yard TD to him by letting him by on a deep route either. Doughty is not a good starter, but as a backup he is okay. LaRon has made plenty of his own mistakes, some of which were pretty bad. I still like both of them, although Doughty does frustrate me quite a bit in coverage.

Reed national-football-league-2010-11-season-week-2-andre-johnson-reed-doughty-nfl-1011-wk2-00495md.jpg Doughty

Big deal. Even Darrell Green gave up a TD now and then. Johnso is a big, strong receiver and the ball was thrown in the perfect spot.

Normally, Doughty is a very good tackler. I seem to remember Landry missing TONS of tackles and taking such bad angles on plays that he didn't even get to attempt a tackle on the ball carrier.

Archived