Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Breaking News via Twitter: Steve Jobs resigns as CEO of Apple (merged)

MattFancy

Apple has been one of the top American innovators of new technology around the world.

you do realize that alot of their products are "borrowed" from others right?

They were just better at marketing it.

Oh, and if you don't believe me, you can read all the people suing and counter-suing apple. They already lost 1 major one.

http://twitter.com/AlvinSchultz/statuses/106508645478580224

I would like to formally announce that I am applying for the CEO position at #apple

Aw yeaaaaa

Get me in on some of that CEO **** mang, I have no business experience or charisma but I can help manage the company. And I get a sweet severance package too.

Seriously though, he's probably resigning for health reasons. Get well chief

Everyone mentioning innovation has conveniently left out the iPad, whom after launching over 15 months ago still does not have a popular competitor, just a group of copycats.

One reason why the Android platform will never be better (in my opinion) is the fragmentation. Apple designs hardware and software hand in hand and the results are usually a great user experience despite maybe not having all the processor speed or memory. What good is all that extra stuff if your software isn't written to use it?

FTR, i don't care what kind of tech you use. I use what makes me happy and i hope you do the same.

While I'm not a "Mac Guy," this is sad news for the tech industry. Like it or not, Apple has changed the way we see the computer and much of it for the better. Plus, Jobs is one of the men behind the finest movie company in the business (Pixar).

I pray this decision isn't based on Jobs' health isn't the main reason for this decision.

Good god man, you make too much sense.

I own an iPhone. Droids are cool too. Don't give a damn who uses what, but it causes such a **** storm on the internet if you tell someone what you use.

I hear you man there are absolutely fanatical people on both sides. As an Apple person mostly, I want the Android platform to push the envelope because that will mean Apple will have to keep innovating to keep up and vice versa. We all win at that point.

you do realize that alot of their products are "borrowed" from others right? They were just better at marketing it. Oh, and if you don't believe me, you can read all the people suing and counter-suing apple. They already lost 1 major one.

Yes, the basic technologies behind mp3 players, smart phones, and tablet PCs probably weren't first invented by Apple. But these aren't snuggies we're talking about.

Name any top corporation in the world and I'll find a lawsuit they're dealing with. Not sure that's proof Apple is guilty of some kind of widespread conspiracy to copy other companies. Sounds pretty silly to throw out accusations like that. No doubt Apple is great at marketing and making their products "sexy" or "cool" ... and you can argue because of this their product line is a bit overpriced. Regardless, when you think of next generation technology, Apple is one of the first companies that pops into your head. That's a fact and will be for some time.

Everyone mentioning innovation has conveniently left out the iPad, whom after launching over 15 months ago still does not have a popular competitor, just a group of copycats.

One reason why the Android platform will never be better (in my opinion) is the fragmentation. Apple designs hardware and software hand in hand and the results are usually a great user experience despite maybe not having all the processor speed or memory. What good is all that extra stuff if your software isn't written to use it?

FTR, i don't care what kind of tech you use. I use what makes me happy and i hope you do the same.

tablet computers have been around before. Apple just made it better. I would say the xoom and galaxy tab are worthy competitors though. But you are right making hardware and software is what helps apple

Oh, and if you don't believe me, you can read all the people suing and counter-suing apple. They already lost 1 major one.

Yeah, and?

Inventing a better mousetrap is only half the deal. Jobs' was able to see what the GUI could mean to the user while Xerox and computer geeks in general were still all forklempt over how fast the processor was or much RAM/hard drive storage one could cram into a computer. Jobs genius was/is that he understands what the end user wants and where the computing experience is heading, as opposed to what the engineers think is cool. The same was true of the mp3 player and tablet PC's, both of which existed long before Apple introduced theirs.

Ultimately you need great engineers and people that understand the user experience but I think true visionaries like Jobs are probably rarer than really smart engineers.

i love the apple haters. Apple started it with the iPod, and then the iPhone, and then the iPad. They are a leading pioneer in the industry and people try to copy them. They are the Coca-Cola of the industry

I am in no means an apple hater, they are great for graphical design, the ipod was great, and its nice to see someone finally saw how to market the tablet. But to think that the ipad, ipod, and iphone were original ideas is incorrect. What they were good at is taking an abandoned technology and making it more marketable. Part of it is due to improvements to existing technology, and the other part is due to their die hard followers (or lemmings however you want to see it)....kinda like some avid posters over a certain ex player ;)

edit: I do give Jobs huge props. He took a computer from a dumpster and made it into a mogul. What he did was quite impressive.

At this point, I don't know what difference it makes if it's an Android or Iphone. I used to be put off by the Apple lovers, and I never owned an I-anything until my wife got an Iphone 4. We watch movies, surf the web, video chat, listen to music, with rarely ever a hiccup. The only items I could imagine anyone ever improving in a smartphone are the camera and screen size. But then, when you consider screen size, you go up against keeping it phone sized.

All the other stuff, your "specs," what's the use? Do you need a faster conection to watch 3 movies at the same time? Do you have a burning need to download 150 albums in one hour? For 99.5% of people, the Iphone and most any Android does everything they need, does it plenty fast enough, and had potential left over.

Except that won't be the case now with Google purchasing Motorola Mobility and all of their patents.

Except that won't be the case now with Google purchasing Motorola Mobility and all of their patents.

Please expand on why you think Google buying Motorola will end fragmentation problems amongst Android phones. Google has a volume based cell phone approach with loose quality controls designed to facilitate aggressive expansion. I don't see any signs of that changing.

---------- Post added August-25th-2011 at 04:32 AM ----------

The specs of an Android phone are way better than an iPhone. My Android phone has more memory than an iPhone, a bigger screen, a better camera, and 4G. That's just trying to keep it simple.

None of what you just wrote is near the top of my list when buying a smart phone I will be using extensively to keep on top of my business. How about reliability, ease of use, and smart design? I have a gaming systems and flat screens at home. A larger screen?! How about a smaller phone that is less annoying in my pocket. I've never watched a movie on my phone and frankly don't intend to, I have things that are better suited for that and I need my battery life for more important things like checking email and espn.

The better camera is nice, though, I'll give you that.

---------- Post added August-25th-2011 at 04:36 AM ----------

Not a problem. I haven't heard if the new iPhone will have 4G or not. Some reports say yes some say no.

4G is available in a bunch of areas with Verizon. Most of MD, DC, and VA are in a 4G area.

Here's a map of Verizon's 4G: http://network4g.verizonwireless.com/#/coverage

Also, here's my phones specs vs an iPhone: http://www.wirefly.com/learn/resources/cell-phone-comparison/htc-thunderbolt-vs-apple-iphone-4-2/

Is it true that 4g drains your battery faster? My friend told me this the other day after he bought a 3g android phone. He doesn't care about the network speed because he uses it primarily for business and 3g works well enough for what he does (according to him). I haven't been able to verify if this is true or not conclusively.

---------- Post added August-25th-2011 at 04:39 AM ----------

bits-suepatent2-blogSpan.jpg

Also I don't think you understand what marketing means. They did a great deal more than design add campaigns. Their finished product was more polished, user friendly, and reliable (neither of those things are marketing, that's design) Hand somebody that has never used a smart phone an iPhone (the first) and a blackberry from the date the iPhone came out. See which one they tell you they prefer and why. Marketing my ass.

BTW - I am not an apple guy. I hate apple computers in general and refuse to own one. I just like my iphone and recognize how dramatically different the tech markets are because of apple LEADING the way. Yes tablets existed.... in fact Android alive and well prior to the iPad. They could have lead the way on tablets that have caught on like wildfire. Did they?

Is it true that 4g drains your battery faster? My friend told me this the other day after he bought a 3g android phone. He doesn't care about the network speed because he uses it primarily for business and 3g works well enough for what he does (according to him). I haven't been able to verify if this is true or not conclusively.

It does drain it faster. A typical day for me on 3G/WiFi my phone can last anywhere between 16-30hrs. On 4G, probably about 9 or 10. I only use my 4G if I have really good 4G service or if I'm downloading/streaming stuff. 4G is definitely faster than 3G. When I download apps or load up YouTube videos over 4G, its pretty much instant. I'm sure as the 4G technology grows, they will figure out better ways to help conserve battery, but for now, it does drain battery faster.

None of what you just wrote is near the top of my list when buying a smart phone I will be using extensively to keep on top of my business. How about reliability, ease of use, and smart design? I have a gaming systems and flat screens at home. A larger screen?! How about a smaller phone that is less annoying in my pocket. I've never watched a movie on my phone and frankly don't intend to, I have things that are better suited for that and I need my battery life for more important things like checking email and espn.

The better camera is nice, though, I'll give you that.

More memory means more apps, music, pictures, etc. Plus I have removable memory, so say I do fill up a memory card with pics, music, etc. I can take that one out and replace it with another one. Can't do that on the iPhone. Say my battery is crap and I want to buy a battery that will last longer, I can do that with my phone, can't do it with in a iPhone.

Sure some people may prefer a smaller screen since it makes the phone smaller, but if I'm going to be watching video and reading websites on my phone, I want a little bit bigger of a screen.

Cell phones are all about preferences and sure there are some things the iPhone does better than a Droid and vice versa. But some people act like the iPhone is the end all be all in cell phones, when in reality it has been surpassed. Now the new iPhone 5 could change that who knows.

Sell sell sell.
I predict the stock will drop 80% tomorrow. If not, it should.

I hope it does.

If all the reactionary fools sell sell sell, I will be first in line to buy buy buy. Jobs is a genius, no doubt, and if his health takes him out of the picture completely his leadership will be sorely missed, but the company is a juggernaut.

Archived