Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Post: Texas Governer Rick Perry running for President in 2012

thebluefood

I don't have a problem with his taking credit for Texas' success. Whether the situation there is actually good or not might be in question, but he's at the helm and deserves the credit. Just as Clinton deserves credit for the post Bush I boom in the 90s.

My beef is, as usual, with his religious beliefs. I don't want anyone in office who puts faith in their God above the US Constitution. At 1:14 he says that the only thing he loves more than this country is Christ. Which is perfectly fine, and his prerogative as an individual. But as the leader of this country, I don't think its appropriate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c5lDszsw68

Do you have any examples of him doing so in actual practice SA?

or is it just the thought he might

No examples, but I take the man at his word. If he were presented with a choice, I assume he would chose Christ over America. Since God is real, and speaks to him, this is something we should consider, no?

I'll just leave this here.

Perry Points to ‘Idiotic’ U.S. Rule That Doesn’t Exist

For a small-government conservative on the presidential campaign stump like Texas Gov. Rick Perry, a new federal regulation forcing farmers to get commercial drivers licenses would make a perfect example of Barack Obama’s Washington run amok.

But there is no such regulation.

Click on the link for the full story

Well,SA, the fact that a majority of people in this country claim to be Christians and given the nature of such groupings based on religion, it's unrealistic to think that your perspective will hold much sway with that majority. Most folk probably really like it and it makes sense to them priority-wise per the demands of their specific faith. I'm in the minority, and I don't like many aspects of the "magical thinking" I associate with many (not all) such folk that make up the more fundamental or evangelical (a lot of debate about the labels) groups of any major religion.

But there's also a lot of potential positives in someone whose faith encourages rigorous adherence to the same kinds of behaviors and principles many of us who aren't religious share, and hope to see in our leaders. So while I think there's cause for trepidation among some us, there's also cause for hope and ceratinly no need to reject such people out of hand (not that I think you're doing that).

For instance, no way I want a nutter like Palin anywhere near the line of succession, but I don't see Perry the same way at this point. Maybe he's hinding it a bit, maybe not---I just don't know. But so far, I can understand and accept the differences I have with some of his expressions of faith to date, he hasn't gone so far as to alienate me on that basis. I will simpy be working to learn more. I would never approve or disapprove of a candidate's worth in service, even as president, based soloey on their specific religion (other than like crazy wild ****) or lack thereof.

I'll just leave this here.

Perry Points to ‘Idiotic’ U.S. Rule That Doesn’t Exist

For a small-government conservative on the presidential campaign stump like Texas Gov. Rick Perry, a new federal regulation forcing farmers to get commercial drivers licenses would make a perfect example of Barack Obama’s Washington run amok.

But there is no such regulation.

Click on the link for the full story

Gee, wonder where he could have got that idea??

Feds back off commercial licenses for farmers idea

http://news.yahoo.com/feds-back-off-commercial-licenses-farmers-idea-072025063.html

Dozens of members of Congress from farm states in the Midwest and West wrote to the transportation department, asking that the idea be scrapped. Members representing both parties complained that the changes might make sense in heavily populated areas, but not in rural ones where there is little traffic.

Well,SA, the fact that a majority of people in this country claim to be Christians and given the nature of such groupings based on religion, it's unrealistic to think that your perspective will hold much sway with that majority. Most folk probably really like it and it makes sense to them priority-wise per the demands of their specific faith. I'm in the minority, and I don't like many aspects of the "magical thinking" I associate with many (not all) such folk that make up the more fundamental or evangelical (a lot of debate about the labels) groups of any major religion.

But there's also a lot of potential positives in someone whose faith encourages rigorous adherence to the same kinds of behaviors and principles many of us who aren't religious share, and hope to see in our leaders. So while I think there's cause for trepidation among some us, there's also cause for hope and ceratinly no need to reject such people out of hand (not that I think you're doing that).

For instance, no way I want a nutter like Palin anywhere near the line of succession, but I don't see Perry the same way at this point. Maybe he's hinding it a bit, maybe not---I just don't know. But so far, I can understand and accept the differences I have with some of his expressions of faith to date, he hasn't gone so far as to alienate me on that basis. I will simpy be working to learn more. I would never approve or disapprove of a candidate's worth in service, even as president, based soloey on their specific religion (other than like crazy wild ****) or lack thereof.

Fair enough. It worries me though.

Obviously, the DOT asking for thoughts on it meant, in Perry's mind, that it was an actual rule of law.

Agriculture groups were alarmed this spring when the transportation department asked for thoughts on whether commercial truck safety regulations also should apply to farmers who drive their equipment on highways and rural roads within their own state.
We have no intention of instituting onerous regulations on the hardworking families who feed our country and fuel our economy,” Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, himself an Illinoisan and a Republican, said in the agency’s statement Aug. 10.

Or is that just how it happens down there in Texas?

:D

Fair enough. It worries me though.

If it is any consolation the laws and Constitution have stood the tests of nuts(both religious and not) rather well.

---------- Post added August-18th-2011 at 02:58 PM ----------

Obviously, the DOT asking for thoughts on it meant, in Perry's mind, that it was an actual rule of law.

Or is that just how it happens down there in Texas?

:D

You might note he spoke in the future sense"gonna have to"......but yes people here and across the US obviously take stupid proposals by the govt seriously and work to stop them.....ya might say the have a record of stupid ****

Do you have any examples of him doing so in actual practice SA?

or is it just the thought he might

You mean like appointing Young Earth Creationist Barbara Cargill to be the head of the Texas State Board of Education last month while the Legislature was not in session, so they couldn't do anyting about it?

After trying to appoint two other YECers to the post and having the Legislature reject them?

You mean like that?

Or maybe you mean by refusing to let Texas to take federal funds for sex education because the programs were not "abstinence-only"?

http://www.texastribune.org/texas-state-agencies/health-and-human-services-commission/texas-forgoes-federal-funds-for-sex-ed/

You mean like that? :halo:

You might note he spoke in the future sense"gonna have to"......but yes people here and across the US obviously take stupid proposals by the govt seriously and work to stop them.....ya might say the have a record of stupid ****

Unless, of course, it's a stupid Republican proposal, like, say, refusing to raise the debt ceiling.

Then we must all defend the idea, of course.

:halo:

---------- Post added August-18th-2011 at 04:06 PM ----------

You mean like appointing Young Earth Creationist Barbara Cargill to be the head of the Texas State Board of Education last month while the Legislature was not in session, so they couldn't do anyting about it?

After trying to appoint two other YECers to the post and having the Legislature reject them?

You mean like that?

Or maybe you mean by refusing to let Texas to take federal funds for sex education because the programs were not "abstinence-only"?

http://www.texastribune.org/texas-state-agencies/health-and-human-services-commission/texas-forgoes-federal-funds-for-sex-ed/

Yeah, I think he means like that.

You mean like that?

Now there's an example that if as stated, and without further redeeming explanation, I would have more serious concerns. That's the kind of (sorry my Christian friends) nutterism and magical thinking (YEC) where I depart from my otherwise appreciative attitude about common religious constructs. I realize you have to take what you like with what you don't like in such a belief system as complex in dogma and detail as Christianity (or Islam or Judaism to name a couple) and the Bible (or Koran or Torah), but that is the kind of thing that would seriously affect my overall approval rating in the negative. But still not enough on it's own to get that close to a rejection. Just a big black eye.

I didn't care at all for Obama's association with whackjob Wright, nor think much of his "excuses" but I reluctantly accepted it as part of the package and still supported his candidacy. Granted, had McCain (even the disturbingly watered down and disappointing version) picked someone other than Palin (who I already knew a fair amount about via my lifelong Alaskan connections, right and left) it would have been much closer for me.

Gee, wonder where he could have got that idea??

Feds back off commercial licenses for farmers idea

http://news.yahoo.com/feds-back-off-commercial-licenses-farmers-idea-072025063.html

Dozens of members of Congress from farm states in the Midwest and West wrote to the transportation department, asking that the idea be scrapped. Members representing both parties complained that the changes might make sense in heavily populated areas, but not in rural ones where there is little traffic.

There seems to be two different versions of events between your article and the one I posted.

Regardless, Perry's comments come across as fearmongering, similar to before the 2008 election people saying Obama would take your guns away. Make them fear your opponent is a good political strategy I guess.

This thread is sooooo telling to me.

You liberals don't want to give Perry any benefit of the doubt. He's a Republican, running for President and he held a prayer rally, so you all immediately run out there with a million talking points about oil jobs (Texas still #1 in job creation even if these removed), attracting jobs to his state from other states (not sure how it's bad, and I haven't seen anyone measure this), wages (6th best in the nation since the start of the recession) and now taking credit away because of old lending laws.

There's no mention of the fact that he ran the economy for 10 years and didn't sell out to some lobby to make those laws more lax, demographic issues in Texas (huge hispanic population, large influx of poor from La after Katrina, large rural population) that distort certain measurables around education, etc.

Texas is a good economic news story, as evidenced by the article I cited. I don't know whether I will personally support Perry, but the reflexive anti-Perry behavior in this thread is both hilarious and disconcerting for America. Too many minds are closed.

Why can't people just admit that the man did a lot of good things for the Texas economy?

[Edit: by the way, this should also be in the overt media distortion thread.]

1. I've never not voted for a Republican for President, and there are a handfull of times in my life where I haven't voted for the Republican for any position, at the national level.

2. My post didn't mention Perry at all, in a positive or negative manner. I do think it is a good thing that Perry didn't relax the lending laws (and I think that is pretty clear).

Since SA mentioned the Constitution I assumed he meant breaking the law or violating the constitution....which your examples fall WELL short of.....being perfectly legal

It is certainly fair to consider whether his faith will influence his choices and opinions...and how

It is quite another to assume he will not act within the SAME limits the atheists do.......limits that protect us from both

---------- Post added August-18th-2011 at 03:42 PM ----------

There seems to be two different versions of events between your article and the one I posted.

Regardless, Perry's comments come across as fearmongering, similar to before the 2008 election people saying Obama would take your guns away. Make them fear your opponent is a good political strategy I guess.

since one is a hit piece and one a normal news report I will leave it in your capable hands to judge the merits of each

Warning of govt intrusion and foolish regulations is Perry's bread and butter.

Thats all well and good but that doesn't stop a lot of it from being pure fearmongering to get the base riled up. Do you approve of that sort of thing in politics?

Depends....I certainly approve of warning of govt overreach and the idiocy rampant in any bureaucracy

Is warning that if ya don't watch them the EPA will have a milk spill under the same regs as a oil spill?

How that about they make rules w/o cost consideration?

How about they will reject a plan that achieves greater reduction in pollutants simply because it is different than theirs?

Govt agencies don't propose or put something out for feedback w/o a intent to implement them

Eventhough I haven't seen his college records is it true that he recieved multiple C's and D's in college, and a D in economics? If the DNC nominated a candidate with abysmal grades like that, and he was a person of color, they would be screaming to the high heavens that he's an affirmative action candidate.

I guess that stigma never applies to the "good ole boys". Complete hypocrisy.

Eventhough I haven't seen his college records is it true that he recieved multiple C's and D's in college, and a D in economics? If the DNC nominated a candidate with abysmal grades like that, and he was a person of color, they would be screaming to the high heavens that he's an affirmative action candidate.

I guess that stigma never applies to the "good ole boys". Complete hypocrisy.

Tell ya what,release Obama's transcripts and we can chat....till then I will go with Perry got mostly B's......besides I like the idea of affirmative action for probably the only veteran and candidate from poverty :)

I tend to think what he has done with himself matters more than grades....I still don't like him,but I can respect what he has done with his life

But I admit to being biased that way.....btw most dirt farmers ain't in the good ole boys club

Tell ya what,release Obama's transcripts and we can chat....till then I will go with Perry got mostly B's......besides I like the idea of affirmative action for probably the only veteran and candidate from poverty :)

I tend to think what he has done with himself matters more than grades....I still don't like him,but I can respect what he has done with his life

But I admit to being biased that way.....btw most dirt farmers ain't in the good ole boys club

:ols: Obama was President of the Harvard Law Review . . . yeah, a real academic slouch.

:ols: Obama was President of the Harvard Law Review . . . yeah, a real academic slouch.

still doesn't have any grades or papers out....till then I can go with he is highly educated with a dad that is a alumni and a member of a group subject to help from affirmative action.

one of his fellow professors is less than complimentary of his abilities....should I believe him because of his position?

Archived