Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Post: Texas Governer Rick Perry running for President in 2012

thebluefood

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/rick-perry-announces-he-will-join-2012-presidential-field-to-challenge-president-obama/2011/08/13/gIQA3TSODJ_story.html

CHARLESTON, S.C.-Texas Gov. Rick Perry officially declared his presidential candidacy Saturday, telling a crowd in this key primary state that he will run for the nomination to challenge President Obama in 2012.

In front of a crowd of 500 at the Francis Marion Hotel, Perry used his first speech as a candidate to brag about job creation in Texas under his leadership and argue he could dramatically improve the American economy if elected president.

I know we have Texas and Republicans on the board (some of whom fall under both categories). Thoughts on Perry?

I spent a lot of time in Dallas last year and people had very mixed feelings about him. What else is new, right?

Huge contrast to Romney that's for sure.

I've heard that if Perry threw his hat in the ring he'd have the nomination all but locked up. The Tea Party folks adore him; but how do those "pesky" GOP moderates feel about him?

Well, El Paso County really tends to go against the grain when comes to Texas trends in general, and politics specifically. Perry managed to only get about 35% of the vote here in 2010, and he seems to be especially disliked by the under-30 crowd (hell, in this area the over-30 crowd does not like him very much either).

No....wait till ya actually get to know him

Why is he a lunatic JMU?

The desire to repeal the 16th Amendment, how the heck will the GOP pay for their armies without that?

Intelligent design to be taught in science classes (camouflaged creationism)

Holds a belief in "clean coal". :ols:

State secession.....actually on that I agree with him....take Texas and go Rick. :D

No....wait till ya actually get to know him

Why is he a lunatic JMU?

I've been reading over his principals on whorunsgov (VERY handy source from the Washington Post) and ontheissues. He seems like a textbook southern-conservative to me.

What, exactly, makes him "too liberal" twa?

The desire to repeal the 16th Amendment, how the heck will the GOP pay for their armies without that?

The desire to have income tax revenue returned equitably to each state is lunacy?

how about a dedicated tax? btw I seem to recall some Dems using our military,or is every day a brand new world ?

he is a bit too liberal for me

Somebody isn't? :pfft: Haven't really looked at him yet - where would you differ?

Public radio was re-playing one of his recent speeches yesterday. Had to stop to listen. He's a superb speechmaker, you gotta give him that.

A lot of modern conservative sentiment seems pretty exclusionary, but this guy's speech was inclusive - almost overboard - the way Reagan was at his best. I guess his socon credentials are so solid that he can afford to buck the trend without pissing off the hard right.

It's a tendency (or a trait, maybe, if it's newly affected) that's bound to help him if he makes it to the general election.

I've been reading over his principals on whorunsgov (VERY handy source from the Washington Post) and ontheissues. He seems like a textbook southern-conservative to me.

What, exactly, makes him "too liberal" twa?

The inoculation bs

Embraces a stronger govt role

Supported Al Gore

Supported amnesty for illegals

The desire to have income tax revenue returned equitably to each state is lunacy?

So screw the poor states...yep that's a Texan attitutude...funny I thought we were in this together...in fact maybe even UNITED.....guess not with Rick wanting to take his state and go home.

how about a dedicated tax?

I'd have to see how that worked out.

btw I seem to recall some Dems using our military,or is every day a brand new world ?

And yet it is the GOP who keeps yelling that we can't bring the troops home, it was the GOP president who pushed us into Iraq, and it is the GOP that wants more defense spending.

---------- Post added August-13th-2011 at 03:51 PM ----------

Supported amnesty for illegals

While illegally executing two Mexican nationals....yes very librawl of him.

While illegally executing two Mexican nationals....yes very librawl of him.

So you disagree with SCOTUS and the law?....How progressive of you :ols:

I will say he don't mind executions....and you never have to guess where he stands on most any issue

So you disagree with SCOTUS and the law?....How progressive of you :ols:

When those executed were never told of their rights....yep I disagree with SCOTUS if that's what they said...I also disagree with SCOTUS that money is free speech, so? You disagree with them on Roe v. Wade, does that make you a progressive?

and you never have to guess where he stands on most any issue

The same can be said of Sarah Palin and Nancy Pelosi....I won't be voting for either of them BTW. Clarity of opinion is IMO not a basis to vote for someone.

For instance:

Person 1: "I'm voting for this guy."

Person 2: "Why he's a bigot, a sexist, and wants to change the very fiber of our nation!"

Person 1: "Yeah, but you know where he stands."

:doh:

---------- Post added August-13th-2011 at 04:12 PM ----------

well he was a democrat in the 80's

Then he found there was more money in the GOP coffers. LOL

Archived