Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Post: Texas Governer Rick Perry running for President in 2012

thebluefood

Man, the shine appears to be wearing off quickly. You've got GOP folks on Fox News tell him to dial it back and it hasn't already been a week. I can't wait for the GOP primary debates. This is going to be old school "The Real World".

Honestly, I think you're right. He went out today and said he didn't believe in Global Warming because "its only a scientific theory." Guess what else is "only" a scientific theory: gravity. Extremist alarms are sounding all across moderate independents homes this week.

---------- Post added August-17th-2011 at 02:58 PM ----------

How did this thread go from discussing Rick Perry's chances at becoming a candidate for President to a religious debate?

Its a debate about Rick Perry's use of religion in his campaigning. Its relevant.

Man, the shine appears to be wearing off quickly. You've got GOP folks on Fox News tell him to dial it back and it hasn't already been a week. I can't wait for the GOP primary debates. This is going to be old school "The Real World".

Dial it back?....Ya ain't seen nothing yet .:)

I don't think he really cares what the GOP on FOX has to say...nor should he

Dial it back?....Ya ain't seen nothing yet .:)

I don't think he really cares what the GOP on FOX has to say...nor should he

When I said he and Romney LOOKED very similar with the sound turned down, you said people should just turn it up. NOW...if they turn it up and the base hears from their favorite outlet is already question some things he's said. Then what? They should turn it back down?

Like I said. Its going to be an interesting primary season for these guys. Eventually whoever is not in 1st will start questioning what Romney and/or Perry have been saying in a debate. That's when I want to be watching. For the response.

Oh, and of course he will care what Fox has to say, as do all GOP contenders who want their base to see them as best as possible.

Honestly, I think you're right. He went out today and said he didn't believe in Global Warming because "its only a scientific theory." Guess what else is "only" a scientific theory: gravity. Extremist alarms are sounding all across moderate independents homes this week.

---------- Post added August-17th-2011 at 02:58 PM ----------

Which is ever funnier since he backed Al Gore in 1988 (who had a major campaign priority talking about global warming, even back then).

This liberal is perfectly willing to admit that he is afraid of Rick Perry. With the mood that the country is in, I could easily see him being elected.

Quick questions for twa and others - if Texas is such a jobs paradise, why is the unemployment rate in Texas still over 8 percent, only one point below the national average? And why is the household income in the bottom third of all US states?

For that matter, how much of that employment do you think is related to the multi year boom in oil prices rather than anything done (or not done) by Texas government? As far as I can tell, pretty much all oil or natural gas rich states have similar unemployment numbers to Texas right now.

One other question - how much of the job growth in Texas is simply due to paying existing businesses to relocate to Texas using the Texas Enterprise Fund? Are you really "creating jobs" when you pay a company to move an already existing plant from Indiana to Texas? How would that job creation model work for the country as a whole?

This are genuine questions, not political gotcha questions - so Kilmer need not participate :silly:

Which is ever funnier since he backed Al Gore in 1988 (who had a major campaign priority talking about global warming, even back then).

That was before the attempted co2 linkage.....cleaning the environment is one thing,shutting down industry in a futile attempt at controlling climate is probably the tipping point that put him in the race.

the useful idiot is no longer useful

add

Predicto I linked several things already that answer most of your questions rather well

but I will respond to attracting business from others....He is in charge of a state,and doing so benefits his state....it's his job :)

Would you see the benefits of attracting businesses and investments from other countries to the US or not?

I'll let ya in on a secret,Perry also draws business and investment from other countries

employment in oil is only a small percentage of our economy,and his efforts are to reduce it even more.(before we have another oil bust like the 80's)

What is Cali's problem if all gas and oil rich states are employing?

Are ya'll harming the country with your sitting on jobs?....same question for Florida

This liberal is perfectly willing to admit that he is afraid of Rick Perry. With the mood that the country is in, I could easily see him being elected.

Quick questions for twa and others - if Texas is such a jobs paradise, why is the unemployment rate in Texas still over 8 percent, only one point below the national average? And why is the household income in the bottom third of all US states?

For that matter, how much of that employment do you think is related to the multi year boom in oil prices rather than anything done (or not done) by Texas government? As far as I can tell, pretty much all oil or natural gas rich states have similar unemployment numbers to Texas right now.

One other question - how much of the job growth in Texas is simply due to paying existing businesses to relocate to Texas using the Texas Enterprise Fund? Are you really "creating jobs" when you pay a company to move an already existing plant from Indiana to Texas? How would that job creation model work for the country as a whole?

This are genuine questions, not political gotcha questions - so Kilmer need not participate :silly:

Yeah but..............

dammit

Well, if we're going down that road, I might as well put in my two cents

I am a Christian, but I am leery of candidates that use it as a campaigning ploy. Being proud of your faith is one thing, using it to get votes is quite another. It's like those televangelists that use Christ to get money.

It's a possibility that God calls on certain people to run for office in my mind, but you have to be careful of people that are a little too gleeful to tell you that. It can be hard to separate the true believers from the snake oil salesman.

I don't blame Perry for being a jackass, I blame the people who his message appeals to. He seeks power, influence, and money, just like everyone else since the dawn of time, and will mold him self to fit whatever supports those ends.

People get the government they deserve.

In this case, it would be a banana republic of low wage jobs, a large gap between rich and poor, a low % of college educated, and few people with health insurance.

I don't blame Perry for being a jackass, I blame the people who his message appeals to. He seeks power, influence, and money, just like everyone else since the dawn of time, and will mold him self to fit whatever supports those ends.

This forever.

I don't blame Obama for being a jackass, I blame the people who his message appeals to. He seeks power, influence, and money, just like everyone else since the dawn of time, and will mold him self to fit whatever supports those ends.

Ditto

I don't blame Obama for being a jackass, I blame the people who his message appeals to. He seeks power, influence, and money, just like everyone else since the dawn of time, and will mold him self to fit whatever supports those ends.

Ditto

There's a fair and solid semi-rebuttal (as in not "complete" rebuttal) to twa's very fair and solid challenge. But I've worked enough today already :pfft:.

A data driven response to your questions is here:

http://www.politicalmathblog.com/?p=1590

Note, this isn't coming from a Perry fan.

Added: Somewhere there was a veiled illuminati undertone, too. Some meeting of world powers where first Obama and now Perry were picked to run. I forgot if that was in this thread or a different one but I liked that bit of info. :)

Perry did attend a Bilderberg meeting a couple of years ago, so it will not surprise me at all if he becomes the next PotUS.

How exactly does that answer Predicto's questions about (and especially the bolded one):

how much of the job growth in Texas is simply due to paying existing businesses to relocate to Texas using the Texas Enterprise Fund? Are you really "creating jobs" when you pay a company to move an already existing plant from Indiana to Texas? How would that job creation model work for the country as a whole?

Texas has done a damn good job in pilfering companies from other states. Calling that job creation (and counting it as such) - perhaps I am splitting hairs here - is problematic. To me...it's more like...job relocating. Especially when its relocating it from other states in the US.

Now, if we created jobs from taking them from the floppy headed Canucks...well that's something altogether different.

;)

Ditto

Please provide an example of Obama claiming treason, or suggesting the secession of a state. Or anything remotely similar and as dramatic.

The difference is that Obama stirs his base by talking about education, environmental sustainability, and medical insurance. Whether you agree with him or not, the jackass factor is significantly different.

To each their own I suppose. If you can't see the difference between pandering to your base by talking about environmentalism vs. pandering to your base by calling for the downfall of the government, then there's probably nothing I can do to persuade you of the difference.

I seem to recall Obama referring to me as the enemy,Biden using the term terrorists for Americans of a different political views.

Perry never suggested that, he stated it remains a option of last resort

I certainly agree Perry is not as mealy mouthed as Obama,though certainly more brash and declarative in speech

buckle up cupcake

Now, if we created jobs from taking them from the floppy headed Canucks...well that's something altogether different.

;)

We could take them from anywhere probably; just depends on how low we're willing to go. Its all part of the "race to the bottom" model that 3rd world and developing countries (and apparently Texas) use to entice businesses to set up shop and use their labor.

;)

Instead we are sending jobs there(not that I mind helping floppy headed Canucks and ogling their women) and to other countries all the time as a result of idiocy.....why begrudge Texas competing with ya?

Is there some reason ya'll are entitled to business and jobs?....I know the unions seem to think so

ya might note we are taking your people as well ....and giving them a cheaper cost of living and good wage

Race to the bottom mistertim???......you obviously have never lived here

And ya sure are welcome to stay where you are :pfft:

How exactly does that answer Predicto's questions about (and especially the bolded one):

Texas has done a damn good job in pilfering companies from other states. Calling that job creation (and counting it as such) - perhaps I am splitting hairs here - is problematic. To me...it's more like...job relocating. Especially when its relocating it from other states in the US.

;)

So Perry was able to keep jobs in Texas and attract more from other places. That would be bad for the country, how exactly?

The economy in TX is doing well because they didn't have a housing bubble. They didn't have a housing bubble because there was a drop in real estate prices in the mid to early 1980s after the drop in oil prices and the S&L crisis (which hit TX particularly hard) and because it has strict lending laws.

States that are doing really bad had large housing bubbles. You even see this w/ countries. Germany didn't have a housing bubble because housing prices plummeted after reunification. The German economy has been doing pretty well (well until this last quarter or so I guess).

So is it because of the oil bust and S&L crisis or the strict lending laws?

More to the point,what enabled the bubble in certain locales?...lax lending laws?

In the real world, most things aren't controlled by one thing, but combinations of things.

The combination of lax lending laws and the belief that housing was essentially ALWAYS a good investment (and other things (e.g. low interest) rates affected the housing bubble in other areas.

Archived