Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Post: Texas Governer Rick Perry running for President in 2012

thebluefood

The ONLY thing I know about this guy, is that about two weeks ago he held a prayer rally in which he prayed for the economy to turn around. :paranoid:

Ha...be afraid my friends :ols:

1313377793034.jpg

A Christian Plot for Domination?

Michele Bachmann and Rick Perry aren't just devout—both have deep ties to a fringe fundamentalist movement known as Dominionism, which says Christians should rule the world.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/08/14/dominionism-michele-bachmann-and-rick-perry-s-dangerous-religious-bond.html

Uh oh

http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_room/2011/08/10/rick_perry_muslims

Rick Perry: The pro-Shariah candidate?

The Texas governor's surprisingly warm relationship with the Muslim community

Rick Perry has made a name for himself in the last few weeks by palling around with some radical evangelical Christian figures who are openly hostile to Islam, and have even, in one notable case, called for a ban on Muslim immigration to the U.S. Perry also raised eyebrows in his decidedly unecumenical exhortation for all Americans to pray to Jesus Christ.

But it turns out that the Texas governor has had surprisingly warm, constructive relations with at least one group of Muslims over the years.

Perry is a friend of the Aga Khan, the religious leader of the Ismailis, a sect of Shia Islam that claims a reported 15 to 20 million adherents worldwide. Sprouting from that friendship are at least two cooperation agreements between the state of Texas and Ismaili institutions, including a far-reaching program to educate Texas schoolchildren about Islam. That's a partnership that has already prompted a bit of grumbling in far-right corners of the blogosphere and could conceivably become a primary issue if, as expected, Perry enters the presidential race.

The Aga Khan, who claims a direct lineage to the Prophet Mohammed, controls a vast international network of business and philanthropic ventures; he is not a reclusive spiritual thinker, but rather a fabulously rich jet-setter. He has, for example, been married to two princesses. (His father was for a time married to the actress Rita Hayworth.) He reportedly owns 900 Thoroughbred race horses. And in 2010 Forbes put his net worth at $800 million. All of this has made the Aga Khan a fixture in the tabloids in the U.K., where he holds citizenship (sample headline: "Saga over Aga's skiing fall").

Perry met the Aga Khan during a 2000 family trip to Paris (the Aga Khan owns a large estate, Aiglemont, north of the city), the Austin American-Statesman reported in 2008. Two years later, Perry spoke warmly at a dinner in Houston hosted by the Aga Khan. Over the years the governor attended other Ismaili events in Texas, culminating in a pair of formal agreements.

Click link for rest

So you're saying he's either a typical "Islam-cautious" right wing gen-u-wine religious nutter who's willing to sell out to a super-rich and powerful Muslim leader, or he's a phony "Islam-cautious" right wing religious nutter willing to sell out to a super rich and powerful Muslim leader? :evilg: :pfft: :ols:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-0816-perry-donors-20110816,0,6024689,full.story

Perry has received a total of $37 million over the last decade from just 150 individuals and couples, who are likely to form the backbone of his new effort to win the Republican presidential nomination. The tally represented more than a third of the $102 million he had raised as governor through December, according to data compiled by the watchdog group Texans for Public Justice.

Nearly half of those mega-donors received hefty business contracts, tax breaks or appointments under Perry, according to a Los Angeles Times analysis.

Sounds like Texas.

So, I heard Gibbs say this morning that this is the same guy who was talking about Texas seceding from the Union a few months back. Is that accurate? Also, did he have anything to do with the revisionist history books that the Texas Board of Education made part of the curriculum in public schools?

Gibbs is a liar. And it's obvious that Perry scares the **** out of Obama's re elect team.

Here is what Perry said-

Perry called his supporters patriots. Later, answering news reporters' questions, Perry suggested Texans might at some point get so fed up they would want to secede from the union, though he said he sees no reason why Texas should do that.

"There's a lot of different scenarios," Perry said. "We've got a great union. There's absolutely no reason to dissolve it. But if Washington continues to thumb their nose at the American people, you know, who knows what might come out of that. But Texas is a very unique place, and we're a pretty independent lot to boot."

Uh oh

http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_room/2011/08/10/rick_perry_muslims

Rick Perry: The pro-Shariah candidate?

Click link for rest

Interesting. I'm wondering if this will help him or hurt him.

I'd tend to assume "hurt him", since voters seem to be affected by things they disagree with, a lot more than by things they agree with.

---------- Post added August-16th-2011 at 09:39 AM ----------

So you're saying he's either a typical "Islam-cautious" right wing gen-u-wine religious nutter who's willing to sell out to a super-rich and powerful Muslim leader, or he's a phony "Islam-cautious" right wing religious nutter willing to sell out to a super rich and powerful Muslim leader? :evilg: :pfft: :ols:

That's certainly one way of looking at it.

And given my usual opinion of all politicians, it's a theory I could easily believe.

(Getting ready for "oh, another Texas governor who'll suck up to Muslims, as long as they're multi-millionaire, jet-setting, Muslims" comments).

Gibbs is a liar. And it's obvious that Perry scares the **** out of Obama's re elect team.

Here is what Perry said-

Perry called his supporters patriots. Later, answering news reporters' questions, Perry suggested Texans might at some point get so fed up they would want to secede from the union, though he said he sees no reason why Texas should do that.

"There's a lot of different scenarios," Perry said. "We've got a great union. There's absolutely no reason to dissolve it. But if Washington continues to thumb their nose at the American people, you know, who knows what might come out of that. But Texas is a very unique place, and we're a pretty independent lot to boot."

That quote seems to indicate he's not a liar. A better answer to that question would have been, "No, we aren't going to be seceding from the U.S." No?

That quote seems to indicate he's not a liar. A better answer to that question would have been, "No, we aren't going to be seceding from the U.S." No?

I guess to be fair, I would have to know exactly what Gibbs accused him of saying.

But Perry never claimed he thought Texas should or would secede. In fact, he said the exact opposite.

"We've got a great union. There's absolutely no reason to dissolve it."

I guess to be fair, I would have to know exactly what Gibbs accused him of saying.

But Perry never claimed he thought Texas should or would secede. In fact, he said the exact opposite.

"We've got a great union. There's absolutely no reason to dissolve it."

What Gibbs said was something very close to "Rick Perry talked openly about seceding from the union a few months back." Something like that. Not that he said he was gonna do it, but that he "talked" about it.

You only quoted the first part of your own quote though. In response to a question about secession, he had to include the last party about "who knows" what will happen if Washington "thumbs" there noses at the people? "We're an independent bunch." If that's really his quote, he's a moron.

"Texas is a unique place when we came into the union in 1845 one of the issues was that we would be able to leave if we decided to do that. My hope is that America and Washington in particular pays attention. We've got a great union, there's absolutely no reason to dissolve it. But if washington continues to thum their noise at the American people, who knows what may come of that."

It's typical coward's use of code words and implications. Does he mean it? Who knows, and who cares. Also :ols: at "one of the issues was we would be able to leave"... in 1845 maybe, but the civil war already settled that issue. I think he is conveniently forgetting about the civil war, and how Texas was on of the losers, and if they try to secede again the same results will follow.

What Gibbs said was something very close to "Rick Perry talked openly about seceding from the union a few months back." Something like that. Not that he said he was gonna do it, but that he "talked" about it.

You only quoted the first part of your own quote though. In response to a question about secession, he had to include the last party about "who knows" what will happen if Washington "thumbs" there noses at the people? "We're an independent bunch." If that's really his quote, he's a moron.

Not really. I can imagine all sorts of scenarios where I could see numerous states (blue and Red) seceding.

He was certainly playing up to the person who asked it. But he was clear about what he thought was happening at that time.

- Texas leads the nation in the percentage of people without health insurance, and ranks near the bottom in education and poverty rate.

Since I keep hearing this talking point (and it irritates the hell out of me) let's examine the facts

one of which is we do things on a large scale unlike the majority of the states with total populations of much less than my county

http://peskytruth.wordpress.com/2011/07/19/rick-perrys-negatives/

Texas students exceeded the national average for their ethnic cohorts in all 18 comparisons; Wisconsinites were below the national average in 8, above average in 8. That bears repeating: Texas fourth and eighth graders outperformed the national average scores in all categories.

17. Texas’ abysmal rankings on various lists

These rankings were selected by critics for one purpose, and that is to smear Texas and by association, Rick Perry.

No sources have been cited for the rankings, thereby preventing a reader from verifying that: 1) the numbers were accurately reported, 2) they are from a reliable source, and 3) the original context is known.

Nevertheless, we’ll treat them as if they are true and offer a reason to explain such a dismal performance. The rankings themselves (assuming that they’re true) are not anything that the state or Rick Perry should take pride in achieving.

But, the biggest single factor that affects the state’s ranking in almost anything that uses population as a factor, is an estimated 1.6 million illegal immigrants currently residing in Texas. Source: Pew Hispanic Center. (Ten states have populations that are less than 1.6 million).

After all, if the federal government was doing what is clearly their responsibility (controlling the border), Texas wouldn’t have 1,600,000 illegal residents. Think for a moment, how would your state cope with 1.6 million more illegal immigrants? What would that influx do to your state’s rankings?

For example, here is one of the rankings relating to high school graduations, Texas is said to be ranked:

1st in the percentage of people over 25 without a high school diploma

This position suffers from the impact that 1.6 million illegals have on the Texas rankings. Most illegal immigrants don’t come to Texas bringing a high school diploma with them and they don’t come to the U.S. to finish high school, they come to work. Though they are counted in the census, few will have graduated, resulting in a disproportionate number of Texas residents without high school diplomas.

And here is another group of awful Texas rankings:

1st in percentage of uninsured children

1st in percentage of non-elderl*y uninsured

1st in percentage of population uninsure

When one considers that fully 38% of Hispanics in Texas do not have health insurance (that’s almost 3.5 million people, more than the population of 17 states), it’s not surprising that the state would show up poorly on national rankings of residents insured. Over 17.5% of the Hispanic population in Texas is illegal. Those factors, along with the high cost of health insurance and the income level of the illegal residents explain why the state would rank high in uninsured residents.

Here’s another one, Texas is

3rd in percentage of people living below the poverty level

Once again, the ranking will be badly skewed by illegal immigrants. The Pew Center estimates that 21% of Hispanics living in Texas are below the poverty level and since 17.5% of the Hispanic population are illegal, that amounts to approximately 336,299 illegal residents below the poverty level. Once again, more than enough to skew the rankings.

There are only two ways to improve these rankings, 1) reduce the number of illegals, or 2) increase tazes to pay for the additional help they will need. It may not be compassionate, but Texans generally will not vote to increase taxes to pay for illegal immigrant support.

All of the Hispanic-related information referenced above can be found at: Pew Hispanic Center.

I just saw Rove on TV. He's definitely against Perry. The Bush/Perry dynamic will be really interesting to follow. Perry recently said the difference was Bush went to Yale and he went to Texas A&M.

Rove also teased that he's hearing that Ryan and Christie are both now considering running. Now that would shake things up.

Not really. I can imagine all sorts of scenarios where I could see numerous states (blue and Red) seceding.

He was certainly playing up to the person who asked it. But he was clear about what he thought was happening at that time.

What are you talking about? You are talking about secession as if its no big deal. Remember the last time a state(s) tried to secede from the Union. Is that really where you think we're going. Where you think many states are going?

I think Rick Perry would like to have that answer back. If not, he truly is a lunatic.

I think a Bush Perry feud only helps Perry.

---------- Post added August-16th-2011 at 10:34 AM ----------

What are you talking about? You are talking about secession as if its no big deal. Remember the last time a state(s) tried to secede from the Union. Is that really where you think we're going. Where you think many states are going?

I think Rick Perry would like to have that answer back. If not, he truly is a lunatic.

You want to claim that there is NOTHING that the Fed Govt could do to make you want to see your state secede?

He's only a lunatic if you misrepresent what he was saying and ignore the salient point of his comment.

I'm sorry Kilmer, but I actually do believe in the American system: political, legislative, democratic. I don't think the American way is to grab your bags and go home if someone from the other party gets elected. And I don't think secession should really be on the table for any state at this time. And I think you are going to ridiculous lengths to defend an indefensible statement because the guy who said it has an "R" next to his name. And that's the only reason.

Michelle Obama gets lambasted for saying she is proud of America, but Perry is a darling of all the Southern Belles despite his flirtation w/ secessionism

The biases of the liberal media have a tendency to confuse me... who was supposed to be anti-American again?

/Kilmerism

Archived