Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Post: Texas Governer Rick Perry running for President in 2012

thebluefood

I thought Romney had all the money. That puts Perry at 2nd unless he could catch up.

Romney has the money, but Perry probably has the votes. The Tea Party folks (who will, unfortunately, play a big part in the election) love Perry. The moderates might have to sigh, throw up their hands and just go along with it.

Romney has the money, but Perry probably has the votes. The Tea Party folks (who will, unfortunately, play a big part in the election) love Perry. The moderates might have to sigh, throw up their hands and just go along with it.

That's a big reason why I say it's his race to loose. Bachmann has that fringe label that will hurt her if she's the nominee. Perry has the ability to look mainstream.

Romney has no base of support. Hell, the guy already place behind (Perry- write in votes) at today's straw poll.

That's a big reason why I say it's his race to loose. Bachmann has that fringe label that will hurt her if she's the nominee. Perry has the ability to look mainstream.

Romney has no base of support. Hell, the guy already place behind (Perry- write in votes) at today's straw poll.

The problem with this assessment is Perry will split the tea party vote with Paul and Bachman. Romney might have it wrapped up before enough drop out to not split the vote.

I don't know what I think of this guy. He's not the personality I want. I want someone who comes across as an intellectual, not as a tough guy. He gave a good speech, but I guess I need to learn about that tort reform bill a little more. I don't mind loser pays at all, but does the loser pay every time? If so, that's troubling to me.

Romney has no base of support.

Ding ding ding.

Romney is consistently the choice of Republican voters who want to chose the "least bad" candidate. I've met exactly one person who's a passionate supporter of Mitt Romney. He's the epitome of an empty suit.

That will also describe the election between Obama and whoever the GOP picks.

At least for the middle voters.

Pretty much. Unless Ron Paul gets the nomination (which, let's face it, that's NEVER going to happen) I'm going to be about as enthused about this election as I would be about getting a tetanus shot.

The problem with this assessment is Perry will split the tea party vote with Paul and Bachman. Romney might have it wrapped up before enough drop out to not split the vote.

I don't know what I think of this guy. He's not the personality I want. I want someone who comes across as an intellectual, not as a tough guy. He gave a good speech, but I guess I need to learn about that tort reform bill a little more. I don't mind loser pays at all, but does the loser pay every time? If so, that's troubling to me.

Once people see Perry is capable; he will surpass Bachmann. Tea Party isn't going for Paul.

---------- Post added August-14th-2011 at 01:31 AM ----------

I expect the 2012 election to actually have lower turnout. There are going to be alot of voters just not motivated this time around.

Unless Ron Paul gets the nomination (which, let's face it, that's NEVER going to happen) I'm going to be about as enthused about this election as I would be about getting a tetanus shot.

That's not a fair comparison. At least you can tell yourself that the tetanus shot will have benefits :)

Isn't Perry's big claim to fame regarding job creation like 500,000 minimum wage jobs?

That's a question worth asking.

Here's what PolitiFact has to say:

Cheryl Abbot, the bureau's regional economist in Dallas, confirmed that Texas ranked No. 1.

Abbot, who crunched the numbers cited in the release, told us that among the states and the District of Columbia, Texas had the highest proportion of workers — 8.5 percent — earning at or below the federal hourly minimum wage. West Virgina had the second-most residents earning the minimum wage or less, at 7.8 percent, and Alabama followed at 7.5 percent. Oregon, Washington and California had the lowest percentages: less than 2 percent. (Some state laws exempt certain occupations from the minimum wage standard. In Georgia, for example, tipped employees, such as waiters, are exempt.)

Now to be fair, if we could find statistics showing overall cost of living as a percentage of wages, and then compare that to the other 49 states, we'd get a clearer picture of The Texas Miracle.

What are the odds that the Perry campaign will get those statistics together for us? Are they roughly proportional to the odds that they'll show Texas in a favorable light? Or are they more proportional to THE estimation the Perry campaign has of the intelligence of its target voters?

Incidentally, they say that Perry and GWB don't like each other at all. Anybody got insight into that (not that it's necessarily a problem)?

That will also describe the election between Obama and whoever the GOP picks.

At least for the middle voters.

This will also unfortunately describe the tragedy that will befall all americans by following that logic. The "least bad" choice is a direct result of the team sports mentality of voters, whose biggest concerns seem to focus on not letting the other side win first, and making sure candidates and policy are honest second.

Instead of talking about how liberal or conservative Rick Perry is, lets talk about where he stands on some important issues facing the US, then compare them to the other establishment republicans and democrats.

Is perry or any of the other republican contenders talking about seriously bringing troops home from any of the many unwinnable wars, or from any of the 500+ bases spread around the world, no. Are the democrats, no.

Is perry concerned with the inflationary ramifications of the continued printing of trillions of dollars to finance this overseas empire and its many wars? no, are the dems, no.

Is perry concerned with the federal reserve printing billions of dollars and sending them overseas to foreign banks and organizations in the name of an american bailout? no. dems, no.

Is perry concerned with the fact that the US printing press, price controls, and money supply are in the hands of a "branch" of government that has virtually no checks and balances and denies ANY govt in the world from auditing their books. What other company on Earth can claim that? Perry? No. the dems, no.

Is perry concerned with the tremendous waste of money domestically from more unwinnable wars, like the drug war, or the war on poverty. maybe he would pay lip service to the latter, but really would not try to cut anything significant. mainstream dems surprisingly do not seem concerned with either of these things either.

Rick Perry is no different then Obama or most of the major candidates in both parties on most of the things that count. All of the mainstream R's and D's are voting for the same policies just using different rhetoric and focusing on different distractions. Eye on ball people, follow the money.

NOBODY is serious about really cutting, balancing, or stopping the printing of more trillions of dollars.

They just want to keep their jobs, and we just want our party to win. Meanwhile all of us will watch as our recovery turns into a dollar crisis, where its very possible that we ALL loose our wealth.

Sooner or later politics become a fight for your very survival, inevitably, every generations group of people saying "the sky is falling" produces one that turns out to be correct.

This can fail, it is failing. We are waching it fail right in front of our eyes, too secure our trust of our leaders, our parties, and our policy.

There is no recovery, only a drastic change in what we view as the role of govt in our lives and the lives of everyone else in the world, can cause us to recover. Only a drastic change in american thinking, an escape from the select policy and party differences that the media focuses on, to real issues, can stop the spending, stop the printing, and stop the continued growth of govt sponsored, for the most part, by both parties.

This country needs a leader, not a politician. While I don't think Obama has done a very good job with the economy (Not blaming this mess on him at all), he hasn't done anything to lead. The President can bring Economic advisers, but he needs to lead. Give me a General and not a career politician, I'd vote for him in a second. Anything but a "careerer"

"Yeah... I helped create jobs in Texas!"

Great.

Except you're still one of the poorest states in the country and have less uninsured people than any of the other states.

What good are jobs if they're all at McDonald's?

No fan of Perry but seriously why do many on this board insist on creating their own facts?

"Yeah... I helped create jobs in Texas!"

Great.

Except you're still one of the poorest states in the country and have less uninsured people than any of the other states.

What good are jobs if they're all at McDonald's?

As I understand it, median household income in most states has been on the decline. In Texas, they've seen a slight uptick despite the bad economy.

This country needs a leader, not a politician. While I don't think Obama has done a very good job with the economy (Not blaming this mess on him at all), he hasn't done anything to lead. The President can bring Economic advisers, but he needs to lead. Give me a General and not a career politician, I'd vote for him in a second. Anything but a "careerer"

For the record: if General Petraus decides to run, I'm on that bandwagon so fast I might break my ankles.

Archived