Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Netherlands: Pot shops to be off limits to foreign tourists

SkinsHokieFan

http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/la-trb-dutch-coffeeshops-drugs-20110601,0,588802.story

Who the hell will go to Amsterdam now? :ols:

By Mary Forgione Los Angeles Times Travel & Deal blogger June 6, 2011, 2:55 p.m.

The Netherlands plans to ban foreign visitors from pot shops in a move that opponents have labeled "tourism suicide."

The Dutch government is trying to stop drug tourism in the country, according to a recent announcement. Under the plan, the "coffee shops" that sell marijuana will become private clubs limited to adult Dutch citizens who have to show proof of ID and become a member to buy marijuana.

Click link for rest

Wait, they must hate the tourism trade then. Every single young person I was with and stayed in hostels with in Amsterdam were high as hell...that was the entire reason they went! (And no, I didn't engage in the local fare...I think I was the only one, lol. I got contact high just walking into my hostel every night).

Oh well, I guess everyone should just go to Portugal now, where all drugs are legal.

---------- Post added June-8th-2011 at 08:25 AM ----------

There's always the Van Gogh Museum. It probably wouldn't be nearly as fun, though.

:ols::ols::ols:

And Ann Frank's house. And the hookers in the Red Light district.

Only Asian businessmen give a crap about the latter though.

Wonder why they're doing that.

Pot tourism, like any other tourism, represents money flowing into the country from outside, and then staying there.

Heck, selling a product to a foreign tourist is the same as exporting the product, as fas as balance of trade is concerned. (I don't know if it counts that way in the official statistics, but it ought to.)

Dear world,

We hate your money. Please keep it to yourselves.

Love,

The Netherlands

You are assuming the finanical benefit out weighs the negatives. They are also looking at changes in their prostitution laws.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_in_the_Netherlands

The Netherlands is having problems with illegal immigration and organized crime involved in the drug trade and human and sex trafficking.

But Ibiza is purely a club scene. Amsterdam had alternatives and a slower pace for those not found of the bass and drum.

Ibiza is def much more then just a club scene. Its techno and rave scene is very popular, but there is much much more to Ibiza then clubbing. The forests, the island of Formentera right next to Ibiza, the marina, the street performers and local vendors selling locally made goods, the historic district.. etc. Granted, the club scene is a huge draw to the island, but Ibiza is far from "purely a club scene" from my experience its more of a resort town, the nightlife compliments the island and gives it another dimension.

There's always the Van Gogh Museum. It probably wouldn't be nearly as fun, though.

It would be a different experience. The Tulip Museum is probably not worth it now. "Founded in 2004, the Amsterdam Tulip Museum seeks to fill a void in the history of the tulip."

You are assuming the finanical benefit out weighs the negatives. They are also looking at changes in their prostitution laws.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_in_the_Netherlands

The Netherlands is having problems with illegal immigration and organized crime involved in the drug trade and human and sex trafficking.

and by banning tourists from being able to purchase and use the drugs that they came there for, the black market will take on those customers and grow bigger.

Archived