Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are We Showing Confidence in Grossman?

Chiefinonhaze

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

The Question was, would you rather have kept Campbell, or traded for Mcnabb. Campbell clearly outperformed Mcnabb last year. We could have gotten better performance from a QB 5-6 years younger, while also keeping a 2nd and 4th rounder. Hmmmm.

I know many Campbell haters, my best friend hated the guys on-field performance. But even HE, admits we should have kept Campbell while rebuilding. Your right, Campbell wasn't the answer(Even though I still have confidence in him). But he was the best option for us, IMO

ok im gonna shut this down once and for all, cuz i am sick of hearing it. ill try to make this stat presentation fair.

---------------com %-att/g--yds---avg---yds/g--td--int---1st%--20+---40+--sck--rat-----fumb--fumbrec

jc**********59.0****25.3**2387*7.3**183.6**13**8***32.8**29****8*****33***84.5**9******5

mcnabb***58.3****36.3**3377*7.2**259.8**14**15**32.2**41***11****37***77.1**10*****8

clearly jc outperformed mcnabb lol! i think it is pretty obvious that jc is in just about the best system for his skill set (good for him). i watched several raiders games last year and a lot of his td's and long passing plays were due to superhuman performance from the oakland rb's, also, jacoby ford (who is gonna be really good) saved his tail a few times. the pressure was not on campbell.

mcnabb's situation was completely opposite. below average playmakers, very bad oline, and the necessity that he be the bulk of our offense, averaging 11 more attempts per game than jc. despite this, his stats are still every bit as good as jc's. that is the major difference in my opinion. we might not have gotten a lot of compensation for campbell, but our team might not have won more than 2 games last year with him at the helm (seriously).

jc will never win big, in fact i dont think he'll ever make the playoffs, and if he does, defenses will make him beat them, which he cant do. i am so happy he is not here that i really dont care who qb's for the skins next year.

I dont think any of us will know the story of the trade back plan. Obviously they didnt value Gabbert at 10 or they would have taken him. Were they planning on taking Locker and the Titans beat them to the punch? Then, did they figure they could trade down to 16 and get there guy Ponder? I am most curious to know where they valued Locker and Ponder. I think I would have taken Ponder at 16 if the Vikings didn't take him already.

I also was thinking Mallett was going to be there in the third round, and I would have taken him (since we had not taken a qb) there, but the Patriots solved that problem.

Anyway, for what it is worth, I would have kept jc. I thought he was going to get a good chance under Shannahan to use his mobility and not have make the quick reads since Shannahan's system works deep to short. But hey, I am not the professional NFL offensive coordinator / genius.

I really like the way the draft is going, I think Mike and Bruce are working this thing really well and it is going to be interesting to see what they do at qb. Draft a guy tomorrow, sign a FA vet (I would love to know what they think of Alex Smith, For some reason I think he has something in the right system) or just stay with what they have and see how it plays out. HTTR

i will take a qb who has played in the super bowl and another who was drafted in the second round (which is apparently all you need to be a franchise qb), both of which have had a full year in the system, along with a starting d-linemen or outside linebacker over a project qb who the coaching staff doesn't like and/or doesn't fit our system.

any other questions you'd like to ask?

The Skins didn't want any of the QB's in this draft. We know this besides possibly Newton or Locker.

They had a shot at Gabbert, Ponder, Kaepernick, Dalton, Mallet, and didn't pick.

Maybe there isn't a franchise QB in this draft. Maybe there is but he's a 5th rounder?

So are they showing confidence in Grossman? I doubt it. I think they are just going to let him run the offense since we will be in rebuild mode next year anyway. They've announced it with the trading down for that many draft picks already.

I dont think any of us will know the story of the trade back plan. Obviously they didnt value Gabbert at 10 or they would have taken him. Were they planning on taking Locker and the Titans beat them to the punch? Then, did they figure they could trade down to 16 and get there guy Ponder? I am most curious to know where they valued Locker and Ponder. I think I would have taken Ponder at 16 if the Vikings didn't take him already.

I also was thinking Mallett was going to be there in the third round, and I would have taken him (since we had not taken a qb) there, but the Patriots solved that problem.

Anyway, for what it is worth, I would have kept jc. I thought he was going to get a good chance under Shannahan to use his mobility and not have make the quick reads since Shannahan's system works deep to short. But hey, I am not the professional NFL offensive coordinator / genius.

I really like the way the draft is going, I think Mike and Bruce are working this thing really well and it is going to be interesting to see what they do at qb. Draft a guy tomorrow, sign a FA vet (I would love to know what they think of Alex Smith, For some reason I think he has something in the right system) or just stay with what they have and see how it plays out. HTTR

Its clear what happened. Shanny and the talk was that the Redskins were going to take a QB in the first two rounds. Obviously that was the plan and the fact we wnt through 3 rounds and with no QB means our draft plan was obilterated. Shanny wanted Locker. His draft strategy was destroyed in the first 8 picks so he was so happy to have a trade down partner because BG just doesnt have it. So while our board of needs were QB, NT and OL/WR- we decide to take a 4-3 DE and convert him to LB. Ok fine. But Shanny got so much praise with the trade down, he went crazy with arrogant jealousy of the homerism paid to Belichick. I feel he would have kept trading down until we owned every pick in the 7th round just to say he stockpiled picks. Anyways, at the end of the third, we still dont have our biggest needs NT and the most important position in all of sports, a franchise QB. While I think there was a reason why Hankerson fell (not being explosive in pads and dropping too many balls) I dont dislike the pick- except we should have traded one of those low hit 5th rounders and traded for Mallett who is dropping for off the field issues- not actual football potential.

It is complete lunacy that we came away from another draft with stiff QBs and no real franchise QB candidates on our roster. Its not like it isnt the most important position on the firld by far and almost directly correlated to playoff appearances. But no- instead of trying to solve this incredibly important question, we grab a non-explosive WR with the dropsies and clutch onto low hit 5th round draft picks.

Im starting to understand why shanny and BA were fired from their previous football positions.

grossman hasnt had a relevant season since 2006. he played 3 games for us last year, went 1-2 with one really nice 4 TD performance. hes not the future at QB, hes merely a stop gap. my problem is that hes a stop gap for no one waiting in the wings right now. id have no problem with grossman playing the full year if i knew there was even a kid sitting on the bench the entire season waiting to play QB, but grossman playing a full year with us hoping we get a guy in the draft next year is just bad news.

---------- Post added April-29th-2011 at 01:50 PM ----------

eh, thats kinda like a brennan or palmer pick. history says 6th round QBs never hit sans brady, so that wouldnt make me feel much better.

unless we go QB in round 2 today or by some crazy luck streak we get some franchise guy in round 3 ala Joe Montana, were gonna have to draft one next year. but thing is, every other team will KNOW we're drafting a QB next year, making it that much harder for us to trade up if we truly need to, and there will be other teams worse than us that finish with worse records who still need QBs. were a bad team but we arent 2-14 bad.

if were 2-14 bad, were guaranteed the best QB next year, i just cant see shanny doing that poorly.

JC doesnt look so bad now does he? lmao...Im with you though we need a QB to groom. Maybe Devlin or McElroy

Its clear what happened. Shanny and the talk was that the Redskins were going to take a QB in the first two rounds. Obviously that was the plan and the fact we wnt through 3 rounds and with no QB means our draft plan was obilterated. Shanny wanted Locker. His draft strategy was destroyed in the first 8 picks so he was so happy to have a trade down partner because BG just doesnt have it. So while our board of needs were QB, NT and OL/WR- we decide to take a 4-3 DE and convert him to LB. Ok fine. But Shanny got so much praise with the trade down, he went crazy with arrogant jealousy of the homerism paid to Belichick. I feel he would have kept trading down until we owned every pick in the 7th round just to say he stockpiled picks. Anyways, at the end of the third, we still dont have our biggest needs NT and the most important position in all of sports, a franchise QB. While I think there was a reason why Hankerson fell (not being explosive in pads and dropping too many balls) I dont dislike the pick- except we should have traded one of those low hit 5th rounders and traded for Mallett who is dropping for off the field issues- not actual football potential.

It is complete lunacy that we came away from another draft with stiff QBs and no real franchise QB candidates on our roster. Its not like it isnt the most important position on the firld by far and almost directly correlated to playoff appearances. But no- instead of trying to solve this incredibly important question, we grab a non-explosive WR with the dropsies and clutch onto low hit 5th round draft picks.

Im starting to understand why shanny and BA were fired from their previous football positions.

do you honestly believe we're a qb away from the playoffs?

do you honestly believe that this years qb draft class is better than next years?

if the answer to either one of those is no then stop being vinny and wasting picks on guys who don't fit.

Some of you need to understand that you don't take a QB just to take a QB. Especially when you still have FA coming. And especially when there's not even a day one stating QB in this draft.

Some of you need to understand that you don't take a QB just to take a QB. Especially when you still have FA coming. And especially when there's not even a day one stating QB in this draft.

This.

I don't understand the logic: We need a QB so we should have taken one (Gabbert, Locker, Ponder whoever) whether they fit or not, no matter that there are players available that do fit in positions that possibly can help us for years to come. Because, you know, we need a QB & we need to take one in the draft like lemmings off a cliff. In many ways, this is the same thinking as the Free Agent cycle that got us here & is so well documented: reaching for a short term solution at a high price (1, 2nd 3rd rnd draft pick vs. say paying $100Mil over 6 yrs) to rent a mediocre player (at least on the field for the skins) for a year or two when we will have the same problem at the same position.

For Cr^ps sake, if there was no franchise QB (note that I didn't use the euphemism for being half as$ed "a QB that can help us") then we should not have taken a QB in the first 3 rounds - even if it is a need : which BTW I think almost no one but Beck's wife and Grossman's Mom would argue that it is indeed a big need for the skins.

No TK....we HAVE to overspend for a QB at all costs! So what if every QB in this draft has "bust" written all over him....we need a qb, right? We should have traded our entire draft to get a qb who might work out, cause that's how we do things in DC!

Every god damn year I try to tell people on this board that you don't reach with a top ten pick....you better know that the guy will work out....every year I get called names, marginalized and ridiculed for my position.

Even after all the Jason Campbell's and Patrick Ramsey's, people still do not believe in QB busts!

No TK....we HAVE to overspend for a QB at all costs! So what if every QB in this draft has "bust" written all over him....we need a qb, right? We should have traded our entire draft to get a qb who might work out, cause that's how we do things in DC!

The funny thing is that there are people that sound exactly like this posting here. Even when you try to be satirical it falls short of the reality.

Not every player is the right one for a given system/coach/situation. People made a good point that Mallett going to NE makes sense because of their structure and staff, while he would have taken a huge amount of attention here to mold him into a viable QB. Shanahan is a premier talent evaluator when it comes to QBs, and yet the tears have flowed over trading w/ Jax and not taking Gabbert, etc.

Gets tiresome at times.

Agree with you once again especially this point

"and another thing: theres no such thing as a sure bet. ever. so its always going to be a gamble when we take a QB in the draft"

What gets lost on fans is the QB position isn't the only one where a guarentee of success is certain. Every position is like this in the NFL, every single one of them. We drafted a DE in the 90's in the first round who never played a game for us I seem to recall. The thing that keeps reoccurring here is that this arguement about "we suck we can't afford to miss on someone at that draft position" is it is only brought up with QB's!!!! I swear some of you just think anybody can win playing that position. The idea that any QB and not a Franchise QB can win a Superbowl happened 1 Time in the last 20 years, just because Baltimore did that ONE time doesn't mean anyone else can or will. It's not a trend or a pattern to win without a Franchise QB, that was an exception. If you don't believe me post the Superbowl winning QB's over the past 20 years and we can debate that but it's the truth.

Good post BLC

It was not a DE, it was T Andre Johnson in 1996.

Regarding that Franchise QB you're talking about, Manning is a franchise QB, perhaps even the best ever... He just have one ring... That's one more than Marino though, who also, was another Franchise QB. Maybe there's something deeper to dig here no? Jim Kelly was a franchise QB, and he lost four Superbowl in a row. I may even call Bernie Kosar the franchise QB for the Browns long enough, he never made it to the big game.

Sure it's an important part of the game, still it remains a team sport, not an individual one. You can find as many examples with franchise or no franchise qb... Especially us redskins fans should know that, since we won 3 with 3 differents QB in a 10 years span.

Btw, even the Bucs did won without a Franchise QB, Rams as well (I hardly call Kurt Warner a Franchise QB). Jim McMahon too. many examples on both sides...

As well I'll hardly call Shanahan a dumber when it comes to QB. The fact that he traded back to 16 with Gabbert still on the board means a loy about how he feel about that draft class.

I happen to think we're committed to Grossman, if we can re-sign him.

Perhaps McNabb would remain as our starter if he (1) showed he can plug in better into the K. Shanahan offense, and (2) be willing to kick back some of his salary to be more affordable. Essentially, Beck is the backup and is learning the scheme the same way that Grossman did. McNabb's tenure with the Skins is either already up ...or maybe he lasts one more year. (Frankly I'm suspecting Donovan is already gone.)

And If we don't pick up a 'competitive' QB in the 2011 draft, that simply means that Shanahan/Allen Iand Snyder?) were willing to rebuild more slowly than many anticipated. ...That the Skins are willing to defer (to 2012?) starting the grooming of their 'franchise' QB (IMHO it takes about 2-3 years) which means its 2014-2015 before the Skins might feasibly have their 'franchise QB weapon'.

Considering how each of this season's QBs had question-marks, I suspect Shanahan/Allen's concluded a safe rebuilding approach was better than gambling all on one high-ranked project. I also suspect that trading back will allow Shanahan/Allen to replace more expensive players on the Skins roster with younger and cheaper ones.

This in turn could open the door to the Skins eventually looking at another FA QB, assuming it's possible. But I suspect this year will be about looking to replace talent(if possible) at CB, LB, and OT ... and maybe WR. Here again, I suspect you're going to see some long-time Skins like Carter, Sellers, Rabach, Rogers, McIntosh, and Moss eased out.

Bottom Line: The Skins may soon have a lot more salary funds available to aggressively bid on top-tier FAs in identified positions, be it this year or the next. It's beginning to look more like next year.

maybe since a mod says it someone will listen.

John Clayton on the matter:

And to make it official, the Redskins had no plans to draft a quarterback in the first three rounds. The abundance of young players should add depth and help on special teams

so they didn't like any of the quarterbacks and want to add depth and special teams, sounds pretty good to me.

Rex Grossman is not a good QB.

I seriously would take 30 other QB's in the league over Grossman. Wow. I'm sick to think of him as our QB.

---------- Post added April-30th-2011 at 12:47 PM ----------

I pray McNabb is our QB over Grossman

Why? You didn't tell us why. Is McNabb a better QB at this point? Did he out play Rex?

Archived