Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are We Showing Confidence in Grossman?

Chiefinonhaze

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I love how people count Grossman out, expecting some rookie QB to come in and be "the solution." Grossman, Beck, and McNabb combined are LOTS better than many other teams QB situations.

Hahaha, if only we could transform them and create one super player we would be great....But by themselves they are in the bottom 10 in the league and totally suck. What you have here is 2 old backup QBs and a 3rd stringer never was. Should we feel good about that?

NEWSFLASH: We're PROBABLY NOT going to the Superbowl this year. But by building this team right...and taking some lumps now...we can have solid players and depth...while using a QB with a Superbowl appearance, and NFC Championship, and a winning pedigree to captain our team while we beef up.

Newsflash for you too bud, no one here wanting a QB thinks we would be anyway. I've been saying I think at best we are a 5-11 team this year. If your going to tank the season why not do it with a fresh rookie QB and let him learn the ropes during the process? For one it gives them extra expirence, for two the fans get some hope that we have a future at this position which we do not at this time. The writings on the wall, not developing a QB this year is a mistake like that or not.

I love how people count Grossman out, expecting some rookie QB to come in and be "the solution." Grossman, Beck, and McNabb combined are LOTS better than many other teams QB situations. I love how those same people will very often decry our draft strategy when we sell the farm to get "one guy." Who'd y'all want? Ponder at 10? PLEASE.

I'm guessing lots of those types are young guys who like buying the latest jersey, and to me, that approach is the equivalent of fool's gold.

NEWSFLASH: We're PROBABLY NOT going to the Superbowl this year. But by building this team right...and taking some lumps now...we can have solid players and depth...while using a QB with a Superbowl appearance, and NFC Championship, and a winning pedigree to captain our team while we beef up.

I'm proud of this disciplined, measured approach...Trent Williams, now Kerrigan. Workhorse guys, surefire starters, long term solutions at their positions.

I hope we grab OL, and DL, NT, or maybe CB with our next two picks. QB is clearly not our most glaring need.

youre not understanding whatsoever the problem with grossman and beck. nobody expects a rookie to outplay either of them, and thats not the point. the point is if we started a rookie this year or gave them 8 games, thats a jumpstart on the future. grossman plays 8 games, wins 2-3, rookie comes in and wins 2-3. now we have a rookie that will take over fulltime the next season with half a year of NFL experience and two offseasons, and we continue to build the team around him.

with grossman and beck we have no future. all were doing is building up the team around two guys who have 0 chance of being real contributors. so next year we draft a QB? grossman or some other hack starts 8 games and then the rookie starts for 8 games, then in 2013 the rookie takes over full time? not drafting a QB stunts this teams growth by an entire season. every season that passes that we do not have a QB to even consider the future, were just wasting time and treading water.

youre not understanding whatsoever the problem with grossman and beck. nobody expects a rookie to outplay either of them, and thats not the point. the point is if we started a rookie this year or gave them 8 games, thats a jumpstart on the future. grossman plays 8 games, wins 2-3, rookie comes in and wins 2-3. now we have a rookie that will take over fulltime the next season with half a year of NFL experience and two offseasons, and we continue to build the team around him.

with grossman and beck we have no future. all were doing is building up the team around two guys who have 0 chance of being real contributors. so next year we draft a QB? grossman or some other hack starts 8 games and then the rookie starts for 8 games, then in 2013 the rookie takes over full time? not drafting a QB stunts this teams growth by an entire season. every season that passes that we do not have a QB to even consider the future, were just wasting time and treading water.

How do you feel about Mallet (I've got a weird feeling that he's going to fall to us)

How do you feel about Mallet (I've got a weird feeling that he's going to fall to us)

not really sure. ive heard hes the most pro ready QB in the draft, but i also know hes supposedly the most immobile QB in the draft and that scares me. i know hes super tall but i just worry about him being mobile. i know he has the best arm in the draft, but theres a lot of off the field stuff.

if shanny thinks he can mature the kid and increase his mobility, im all for it. and if shanny put up with cutler, mallet will be no problem.

these are the teams in front of us today:

1(33)New England (from Carolina) - not taking QB

2(34) Buffalo - could take QB

3(35) Cincinnati - could take QB (want dalton)

4(36) Denver - not taking QB

5(37) Cleveland - not taking QB

6(38) Arizona - might but highly doubtful

7(39) Tennessee - not taking QB

8(40) Dallas - not taking QB

all i heard yesterday is that the bills really like fitzpatrick, so i doubt theyll take mallet. i could see mallet falling to us for sure at 41. id be ok with taking him, i just want a future QB now.

not really sure. ive heard hes the most pro ready QB in the draft, but i also know hes supposedly the most immobile QB in the draft and that scares me. i know hes super tall but i just worry about him being mobile. i know he has the best arm in the draft, but theres a lot of off the field stuff.

if shanny thinks he can mature the kid and increase his mobility, im all for it. and if shanny put up with cutler, mallet will be no problem.

these are the teams in front of us today:

1(33)New England (from Carolina) - not taking QB

2(34) Buffalo - could take QB

3(35) Cincinnati - could take QB (want dalton)

4(36) Denver - not taking QB

5(37) Cleveland - not taking QB

6(38) Arizona - might but highly doubtful

7(39) Tennessee - not taking QB

8(40) Dallas - not taking QB

all i heard yesterday is that the bills really like fitzpatrick, so i doubt theyll take mallet. i could see mallet falling to us for sure at 41. id be ok with taking him, i just want a future QB now.

If we get him, I think he'll be starting by week 4.

I would like to get Dalton, Mallet, or even Stanzi, but I hope Rex is the starter next year because I think he will surprise folks. He was playing for his career last year and showed he could run this offense well. We had some beautiful drives with him under center. He's easy for me to root for.

If nothing else, he attacks defenses. I'm sick of play it safe QBs. Rex may throw 30 picks next year but he might also throw for 30 tds. Also, he was very young when he played in Chicago -- the guy hasn't started that many games. There's at least a chance he'll get rid of some of his bad habits.

i don't think it was really confidence the Skins were showing Grossman but rather doubts that Gabbert or Ponder could truly be the answer at QB. I especially doubt Ponder who has had shoulder surgeries already in his young career and an arm not much stronger then Chad Pennington. We know Shanahan loves QBs and if there was someone in this draft he truly felt had exactly he was looking for, he would have gotten him (like he did with Jay Cutler).

Today could tell a huge tale.

Do they get a QB in the 2nd round? There are still guys like Kaepernick, Mallett, and Dalton that plenty of people thought would go in the late 1st to 2nd round range that the Skins could have a shot at today.

Now if we get through today without a QB being added, that tells me that they are OK with where they are at with QBs.

And that could also mean that they are bringing McNabb back for another year............

Addicted and BLloydXmas: Don't call me bud, bud. LOL

I understand completely what Beck and Grossman bring. Neither of them are dead in the water like you say, or Shanny 1&2 wouldn't keep them around. Grossman has been to a Superbowl. He isn't useless. He has the ability to play well. He was 23rd pick of his draft. An NFC Championship. A Superbowl appearance. He can light it up in the WCO, at times.

What evidence do you have that Beck is not someone they may give a shot at winning some playing time? The guy is virtually a rookie with some clipboard experience. A 2nd rounder at that. Shanny likes him, and how do I know? They just resigned him.

We could have had Gabbert. We passed. Why? Beacuse Shanny is *happy* (to a point) with our QB situation vs other areas.

Maybe we get Mallet. I hope not. We have a pair of guys we can use and try to squeak out a playoff berth with. That's what Shanny is doing. Accept it. The starter for next season is already on the team guys. If Shanny wants a project I hope he waits til next season.

We just can't afford to mortgage the future on anyone who is not a sure bet. The Shannys know it, and you should too.

I understand completely what Beck and Grossman bring. Neither of them are dead in the water like you say, or Shanny 1&2 wouldn't keep them around. Grossman has been to a Superbowl. He isn't useless. He has the ability to play well. He was 23rd pick of his draft. An NFC Championship. A Superbowl appearance. He can light it up in the WCO, at times.

What evidence do you have that Beck is not someone they may give a shot at winning some playing time? The guy is virtually a rookie with some clipboard experience. A 2nd rounder at that. Shanny likes him, and how do I know? They just resigned him.

We could have had Gabbert. We passed. Why? Beacuse Shanny is *happy* (to a point) with our QB situation vs other areas.

Maybe we get Mallet. I hope not. We have a pair of guys we can use and try to squeak out a playoff berth with. That's what Shanny is doing. Accept it. The starter for next season is already on the team guys. If Shanny wants a project I hope he waits til next season.

We just can't afford to mortgage the future on anyone who is not a sure bet. The Shannys know it, and you should too.

grossman brings nothing. 0. zilch. hes a journeyman vet with a terrible turnover problem. yes hes flashed good games at time, but last year we saw him struggle a lot. hes just not good, and hes getting older. banking on him is a losing formula. the shannys know were not winning dick with the sex cannon. and beck is almost 30 and has played 5 games. hes a clipboard captain for his career. worthless at this point.

lol at you thinking we can get to the playoffs with rex grossman. i know some fans are delusional at times, but sweet jesus thats just sad if you really believe that.

and another thing: theres no such thing as a sure bet. ever. so its always going to be a gamble when we take a QB in the draft.

The 2012 QB class is much better than this one by several accounts, so maybe Shanny figures it's better to wait than reach.

we hear this every year dude. you could go through posts on this site and find people saying "next year is so much better anyways". at some point we have to pull the trigger on another new signal caller. its been 6 years now since we took a QB in round 1.

Arizona has a agreement in place with Marc Bulger to be their QB in 2011 so I highly doubt AZ is going to use a high draft pick this year on QB. very possible, but I think they will upgrade other areas first. Not many out here in AZ think QB will be taken by them today or tomorrow.

:2cents:

I don't see us drafting a QB until the defense is fully addressed. I see a NT and OL before a QB.

It looks like the Skins are going to wait for a QB until next year when they have a line to protect the investment. OL is nowhere near what it needs to be to protect and not wreck a rookie QB. I won't be surprised if the Skins don't draft a QB at all in 2011. I think they are building a strong defense and will build an OL while using a serviceable QB like Rex, before positioning for the 2012 draft for their franchise QB.

i just want a young QB. gambling on a 2nd rounder at this point means nothing to me. i just wanna know that theres at least the potential for a young QB to produce for this team. beck and grossman offer nothing in that regard.

so mallet it is!

You don NOT want Mallett. You may not know it right now, but you do NOT want mallett on this team.

You can thank me later, or just keep head in sand but Mallett stinks.

we hear this every year dude. you could go through posts on this site and find people saying "next year is so much better anyways". at some point we have to pull the trigger on another new signal caller. its been 6 years now since we took a QB in round 1.

What if Locker was the only guy in this year's draft that they really liked?

What if they didn't like Gabbert for whatever reason?

What if they liked Ponder and figured that he'd last to 16?

There are a variety of scenarios that could have taken place yesterday that would be nice to know about how they view the QB position right now.

Personally, I was never in love with any of the QBs this year. I liked some. But, I wasn't convinced that any of them are really good fits for Kyle Shanahan's offense and worthy of the #10 pick.

Archived