Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are We Showing Confidence in Grossman?

Chiefinonhaze

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

we hear this every year dude. you could go through posts on this site and find people saying "next year is so much better anyways". at some point we have to pull the trigger on another new signal caller. its been 6 years now since we took a QB in round 1.

We missed on two right before that.

Look, I want a franchise QB too. I just don't think Gabbert was the guy and Locker screams Drew Henson to me. Today should be interesting. Personally I think Mallet and Stanzi are far more NFL ready than guys like Locker and Newton.

You don NOT want Mallett. You may not know it right now, but you do NOT want mallett on this team.

You can thank me later, or just keep head in sand but Mallett stinks.

lol, i heard this about locker too and then he went 8th overall.

maybe youre right, maybe mallet isnt the answer. all i know is i dont want us to flounder around with rex grossman at QB when we could be developing a young QB. some of you thinking hes servicable are nuts. our division opponents are dying for us to keep rex because its almost a guaranteed W for them. rex won 1 game for us last year in overtime against jacksonville. he had his nice 4 TD game against dallas and aside from that looked pretty poor.

grossman brings nothing. 0. zilch. hes a journeyman vet with a terrible turnover problem. yes hes flashed good games at time, but last year we saw him struggle a lot. hes just not good, and hes getting older. banking on him is a losing formula. the shannys know were not winning dick with the sex cannon. and beck is almost 30 and has played 5 games. hes a clipboard captain for his career. worthless at this point.

lol at you thinking we can get to the playoffs with rex grossman. i know some fans are delusional at times, but sweet jesus thats just sad if you really believe that.

and another thing: theres no such thing as a sure bet. ever. so its always going to be a gamble when we take a QB in the draft.

Grossman will be our starting QB this year - plain and simple. Who else will play for us? I like Beck, but I don't see it happening. This year's QB draft class is weak, and they wouldn't start anyway. Rex gives us the best chance to win this year.

Edit: And for most of last season and training camp, McNabb was running that first team offense. Grossman has been to the superbowl before - that counts for something. Is he our ideal QB? Nope. But I think if our defense can keep us in games this year, he has what it takes to get it done.

What if Locker was the only guy in this year's draft that they really liked?

What if they didn't like Gabbert for whatever reason?

What if they liked Ponder and figured that he'd last to 16?

There are a variety of scenarios that could have taken place yesterday that would be nice to know about how they view the QB position right now.

Personally, I was never in love with any of the QBs this year. I liked some. But, I wasn't convinced that any of them are really good fits for Kyle Shanahan's offense and worthy of the #10 pick.

maybe the plan was locker all along and tennessee ruined that for us. not sure. all i know is that this is a wasted season if we arent developing a young QB. we have to attempt to groom somebody.

We missed on two right before that.

Look, I want a franchise QB too. I just don't think Gabbert was the guy and Locker screams Drew Henson to me. Today should be interesting. Personally I think Mallet and Stanzi are far more NFL ready than guys like Locker and Newton.

who knows, maybe the 2nd round today will net us our guy. not sure. again, i just wanna start grooming somebody now, instead of waiting another year.

and no we arent tanking to get luck, that is a pipe dream, and again why is luck incapable of a slide like locker was? theres always flavor of the month QBs that come out of nowhere. 1 year ago nobody knew who Cam Newton was.

rex won 1 game for us last year in overtime against jacksonville. he had his nice 4 TD game against dallas and aside from that looked pretty poor.

Be fair, my friend. He almost beat Dallas on the road and had some great moments against the G-Men mixed with some bad ones. His projected stats would have led the league in passing yards and touchdowns. Now projected stats are a joke, but he was at least competent on the field and showed he could get the ball in the end zone. People's perception of him is/was worse than his play.

Grossman will be our starting QB this year - plain and simple. Who else will play for us? I like Beck, but I don't see it happening. This year's QB draft class is weak, and they wouldn't start anyway. Rex gives us the best chance to win this year.

its not about winning this year. its about preparing for the future, and without a future QB, we are preparing nothing. rex aint winning dick for us regardless, so all we can hope for now is that we build up the lines and skill positions, and just sit around and look to next years draft for our QB. then wait another year until hes ready. ugh.

To put a qb that has never started a down in the nfl and to play behind our oline in the nfc east im taking my chances with sexy....imo none of the qb's in this draft are as good as they are rated. Maybe pick up Tyrod in the fifth and have him sit 2 yrs behind sexy

Be fair, my friend. He almost beat Dallas on the road and had some great moments against the G-Men mixed with some bad ones. His projected stats would have led the league in passing yards and touchdowns. Now projected stats are a joke, but he was at least competent on the field and showed he could get the ball in the end zone. People's perception of him is/was worse than his play.

i dont hate him, i just know hes not the answer or even close so why waste our time with him? if were rebuilding truly, we need to have a young QB in there getting experience. its a true waste of time to go into this season without a potential future QB.

its not about winning this year. its about preparing for the future, and without a future QB, we are preparing nothing. rex aint winning dick for us regardless, so all we can hope for now is that we build up the lines and skill positions, and just sit around and look to next years draft for our QB. then wait another year until hes ready. ugh.

That was sort of my point. I mean, Rex had half a season with us and people are writing him off. I know that 'you know he can't do dick for us', but I'll let Shanny decide who's good enough for the team. Remember: we have been preaching CONTINUITY for YEARS. Instead of drafting a 2nd round QB (in my mind, taking one of these guys is just putting a warm body in the 3rd QB slot) this year, lets stick with Rex and see what comes of Beck and next year's draft class.

I understand building for the future, but ain't nobody to draft this year to build our tea maround, QB wise. There are plenty of other skill positions that need addressing first.

i dont hate him, i just know hes not the answer or even close so why waste our time with him? if were rebuilding truly, we need to have a young QB in there getting experience. its a true waste of time to go into this season without a potential future QB.

How do you feel about picking up McElroy in the 5th or 6th, then going first or second round on a QB next year?

we hear this every year dude. you could go through posts on this site and find people saying "next year is so much better anyways". at some point we have to pull the trigger on another new signal caller. its been 6 years now since we took a QB in round 1.

Tebow, Clausen, McCoy vs. Trent Williams

Freeman, Pat White, Stephen McGee vs. Orakpo

Brohm, Henne, McConnell vs. Rocky

Quinn, Kolb, Beck vs. Landry

Freeman looks good now, but was considered a reach when he was drafted. Kolb, jury is still out. Would having any of the other guys make you feel that much better? Oh wait, we have Beck. Problem solved. Or maybe you wanted Henne. Don't worry, you'll get your chance when he's cut next offseason.

Just because you want a QB doesn't mean that you can get a good one.

I know this for sure... a young QB is helped when they have a better team around them. A good defense to keep the team in game and not force the young QB to throw all the time. A good line for protection. A good running game to take pressure off the passing game.

It's rare to find a guy like Bradford. We tried to get him but we couldn't. It's the opinion of many that this QB class had more questions than most. Luck, Moore, Foles, Barkley... if we wait till next year I feel better about that class than this particular class. You may think that is rhetoric that is spewed every year, but look at those names above, good QBs are hard to find and reaching isn't the answer.

That was sort of my point. I mean, Rex had half a season with us and people are writing him off. I know that 'you know he can't do dick for us', but I'll let Shanny decide who's good enough for the team. Remember: we have been preaching CONTINUITY for YEARS. Instead of drafting a 2nd round QB (in my mind, taking one of these guys is just putting a warm body in the 3rd QB slot) this year, lets stick with Rex and see what comes of Beck and next year's draft class.

I understand building for the future, but ain't nobody to draft this year to build our tea maround, QB wise. There are plenty of other skill positions that need addressing first.

grossman hasnt had a relevant season since 2006. he played 3 games for us last year, went 1-2 with one really nice 4 TD performance. hes not the future at QB, hes merely a stop gap. my problem is that hes a stop gap for no one waiting in the wings right now. id have no problem with grossman playing the full year if i knew there was even a kid sitting on the bench the entire season waiting to play QB, but grossman playing a full year with us hoping we get a guy in the draft next year is just bad news.

---------- Post added April-29th-2011 at 01:50 PM ----------

How do you feel about picking up McElroy in the 5th or 6th, then going first or second round on a QB next year?

eh, thats kinda like a brennan or palmer pick. history says 6th round QBs never hit sans brady, so that wouldnt make me feel much better.

unless we go QB in round 2 today or by some crazy luck streak we get some franchise guy in round 3 ala Joe Montana, were gonna have to draft one next year. but thing is, every other team will KNOW we're drafting a QB next year, making it that much harder for us to trade up if we truly need to, and there will be other teams worse than us that finish with worse records who still need QBs. were a bad team but we arent 2-14 bad.

if were 2-14 bad, were guaranteed the best QB next year, i just cant see shanny doing that poorly.

Grossman is about as average as it gets. But honestly he is basically all the team needs right now. It's not like we are gonna win a conference title any time soon. He's just as good as drafting someone.

What I don't understand is McNabb's situation. Is he for sure gone? Cuz I recall signing him to a large contract last season. Have we mutually agreed to part ways? I am assuming so.

*edit* I agree, though, that it would be nice to have someone waiting in the wings. If we can nab Dalton or Mallett today then do it. I'm just afraid both of them will end up like Brennan (a wasted pick). You never know though. Also, I am hearing the Bengals are going to draft a QB today and they are ahead of us, so that's -1 of those QBs.

grossman hasnt had a relevant season since 2006. he played 3 games for us last year, went 1-2 with one really nice 4 TD performance. hes not the future at QB, hes merely a stop gap. my problem is that hes a stop gap for no one waiting in the wings right now. id have no problem with grossman playing the full year if i knew there was even a kid sitting on the bench the entire season waiting to play QB, but grossman playing a full year with us hoping we get a guy in the draft next year is just bad news.

---------- Post added April-29th-2011 at 01:50 PM ----------

I feel you - what about Beck? He was a talent that we drafted. As somebody else said, just because we can draft a QB doesn't mean they're a good one (pertaining to this year). I wish McNabb would have worked out - I guarantee if he leaves, he will have a great season whereever he goes.

But of course, that's the trend with ex-Skins

Grossman is about as average as it gets. But honestly he is basically all the team needs right now. It's not like we are gonna win a conference title any time soon. He's just as good as drafting someone.

What I don't understand is McNabb's situation. Is he for sure gone? Cuz I recall signing him to a large contract last season. Have we mutually agreed to part ways? I am assuming so.

*edit* I agree, though, that it would be nice to have someone waiting in the wings. If we can nab Dalton or Mallett today then do it. I'm just afraid both of them will end up like Brennan (a wasted pick). You never know though. Also, I am hearing the Bengals are going to draft a QB today and they are ahead of us, so that's -1 of those QBs.

We don't give McNabb big money until September. That's why our FO rocks.

This is the best analogy I could think of for this situation: Guy = Fans , Girl = Jason Campbell

Guy get's out of bad relationship with girl. It ends ugly.

Guy has a bad taste in his mouth, from the bad relationship, and really wants to start a new one with a new girl.

Guy has a short fling(McNabb) that doesn't go very well, but guy is still happy to get his mind off his ex.

Now guy is really hungry to find that "rebound" girl and start his new "great relationship."

Guy's parent's(Shanny/Allen), who know better, stop him from starting a relationship with these new rebound girls(Locker, Gabbert), because they know those girls aren't good for him.

Guy is mad at his parents, because he really liked those girls and is ready to "get back out there" immediately and build that next "great relationship." Even though he still doesn't have a car to pick her up in or his own place to take her (the same problems he had with his last girl).

Prediction: Parents introduce guy to a nice girl next year after guy has had more time to prepare for a new relationship. The girl ends up being a much better fit for him, and although the guy had bad mouthed his parents and the idea of "waiting" a year before, he is happy that his parents didn't let him make such a foolish mistake.

Moral of the story: Shut up and listen to your parents. :)

lol, i heard this about locker too and then he went 8th overall.

maybe youre right, maybe mallet isnt the answer. all i know is i dont want us to flounder around with rex grossman at QB when we could be developing a young QB. some of you thinking hes servicable are nuts. our division opponents are dying for us to keep rex because its almost a guaranteed W for them. rex won 1 game for us last year in overtime against jacksonville. he had his nice 4 TD game against dallas and aside from that looked pretty poor.

And what exactly does Locker being drafted 8th have to do with the price of tea in China?

I'm with you BLC and I think I follow your overall philosophy of needing the QB as the foundation of the team's rebuilding efforts. If you don't have a good QB now, and you don't that QB of the future on your roster somewhere, you really can't move forward as a franchise. I just don't know if drafting someone in the 2nd round just for the sake of having a 2nd round QB on the roster is a worthy gamble.

I guess you can make the assumption that every draft has at least 3 or 4 QBs worthy of going in the top 3 rounds and based on that, there MUST be a QB that the Redskins have their eye on right now. You can also make the case that when your QB situation is as dismal as ours, you have to take a risk or two that you wouldn't otherwise take in the draft when it comes to a QB prospect.

All valid points.

My hope though, is that the front office staff has their own grades assigned to these prospects and they have a plan in place that involves:

1) trading up to get a prospect at a certain point in the draft in order to make the value proposition work out (i.e. what they'd give up to get that prospect is acceptable in their minds)

2) picking certain prospects at certain points in the draft if they're available and the value proposition works out (again based on their evaluations and the pick they'd be using)

3) free agency or a post-draft trade

My biggest fear is that the above plan does not exist because the Shanahan's still believe in Rex Grossman. Let's face it, they had a blind spot that allowed them to acquire Donovan McNabb, then bench him because of the weaknesses in his game that were probably well-known in coaching circles after 12 years in the league. They thought they could coach him into being a different QB (just my opinion). That same hubris may be clouding their judgement about Grossman. They may think that they can transform him into an all-pro QB. I'm more scared of that than anything else.

Any way we can trade for Brohm? He will be a legit NFL QB and obviously he is never going to be the starter for the Pack.

Seriously?

He was signed off of Green Bay's practice squad in 2009 and hasn't done squat in a couple of cameos with the Bills.

He's a bust.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AuY5gp47_t0qHC.LjVUN47H.uLYF?slug=ycn-8315751

Brian Brohm(notes) (2nd round, 56th overall)

The Packers were transitioning into the Aaron Rodgers(notes) era to the skepticism of many followers. Brohm was heralded as a first-round draft selection but witnessed his stock plummet deep into the second round. Thompson avoided Brohm at 36 but was too tempted to pass him up as an insurance policy to Rodgers at 56.

Brohm has accumulated a career passer rating of 26.0 with the Buffalo Bills. It was worth a shot, right?

GRADE: D-

grossman brings nothing. 0. zilch. hes a journeyman vet with a terrible turnover problem. yes hes flashed good games at time, but last year we saw him struggle a lot. hes just not good, and hes getting older. banking on him is a losing formula. the shannys know were not winning dick with the sex cannon. and beck is almost 30 and has played 5 games. hes a clipboard captain for his career. worthless at this point.

lol at you thinking we can get to the playoffs with rex grossman. i know some fans are delusional at times, but sweet jesus thats just sad if you really believe that.

and another thing: theres no such thing as a sure bet. ever. so its always going to be a gamble when we take a QB in the draft.

Agree with you once again especially this point

"and another thing: theres no such thing as a sure bet. ever. so its always going to be a gamble when we take a QB in the draft"

What gets lost on fans is the QB position isn't the only one where a guarentee of success is certain. Every position is like this in the NFL, every single one of them. We drafted a DE in the 90's in the first round who never played a game for us I seem to recall. The thing that keeps reoccurring here is that this arguement about "we suck we can't afford to miss on someone at that draft position" is it is only brought up with QB's!!!! I swear some of you just think anybody can win playing that position. The idea that any QB and not a Franchise QB can win a Superbowl happened 1 Time in the last 20 years, just because Baltimore did that ONE time doesn't mean anyone else can or will. It's not a trend or a pattern to win without a Franchise QB, that was an exception. If you don't believe me post the Superbowl winning QB's over the past 20 years and we can debate that but it's the truth.

Good post BLC

...again this might all be moot if we take future QB at 41 tomorrow, but 4 QBs went in the top 12 after so many people said this was a terrible QB class, and one team wanted gabbert badly enough they traded a 2nd rounder to move up 6 spots.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I'd really like to get Dalton -- but I think Kapaernick is more likely. I don;t think the Skins will pass on a QB in the 2nd. I, for one, am ecstatic that we passed on Gabbert. All of the 1st round QBs smell of bust. Even though I do like Locker's intangibles. I'll take Kerrigan -- another glaring need -- and a 2nd over Gabbert.

i just hope they were right about gabbert, because if locker and gabbert turn out to be studs, im going to cry. a lot lol.

Like taking Carlos Rogers over Aaron Rodgers?

Archived