Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Two 2nd rounders... What do we do.

Hal2856

I think the Redskins suck at NT and will continue to suck at NT if they don't address the need.

3-4 NTs are rare. And with more teams moving to the 3-4, they are becoming harder and harder to find. If there is a good one there, I think you have to take him. But, I don't know if there is a great fit at NT available right now. For instance, I don't see Paea as a 3-4 NT.

I think WR is a position that could use help. OL certainly.

But, QB & RB are two spots that I hope they leave alone today. I'm not sold on the QBs and Shanny can grab a RB tomorrow and be good to go given his track record.

Fair points. 3-4 NTs are getting harder to find, but Bryant did do alright there last year and we still have picks left. I wouldn't be opposed to addressing the position with a second rounder, depends on who is available.

I hope they leave QB alone because next year's class (Luck, Jones, Foles, Barkley) offer a lot more than what's left on the board. But I really like Williams at RB and if Shanny likes him enough to take him high, he must think he is something VERY special. Shanny obviously knows about his own late round success, so there will be something really special about Williams if he makes that pick.

Let's also be honest here for a second. As Truant said, next year's QB class looks decent as well. We are looking at something along the 5-8 win total this upcoming year. I bet we draft between the 6-15 range again in 2012. Why push for a 2nd round QB that would be a 3-4th round QB if FA had happened before the draft like usual.

But I really like Williams at RB and if Shanny likes him enough to take him high, he must think he is something VERY special. Shanny obviously knows about his own late round success, so there will be something really special about Williams if he makes that pick.

This! A lot of people are pointing out Shanahan's success with late round backs and the other holes we need to fill. I can't imagine that either of these things are news to Shananhan himself. For the Skins to take Williams in the second Shanny must believe he has the potential to be something truly special in this scheme. Not good - because he's proven time and time again that he can develop GOOD running backs. But perennial pro bowler special. If we can get that caliber of player for a second rounder - which we didn't even have when the draft started yesterday - then it's a no brainer. Hail!

Let's also be honest here for a second. As Truant said, next year's QB class looks decent as well. We are looking at something along the 5-8 win total this upcoming year. I bet we draft between the 6-15 range again in 2012. Why push for a 2nd round QB that would be a 3-4th round QB if FA had happened before the draft like usual.

Could be, also an alternate theory is some say Stanzi (Kiper is real high on him, so is Cosell from NFL films) is up there with any of the 2nd tier Qbs -- we likely can get him late 2nd or even in the third, then you got McElroy.

Guys about WR, what you all think about Ricardo Lockette? Could be later rounds 4.34 40 time and his 6-2

Great speed, could be the Redskins's "Jacoby Ford", but we have "Little Man" for that. Also some of the reports about him say his hands are a real concern. I don't know though...having Banks and Lockette on KR could be insanely amazing.

I have concluded that we should target 2 players in the 2nd and that is Greg Little and Ryan Williams, I believe that they just may be the 2 most talented prospects at this point, considering we have so many needs lets back off certain positions and go for the talent. Both these guy's can be game changers, and fit very well into what Shanny likes to do on offense.

I am forced to repeat myself. The Skins are ranked 31 out of 32 teams for running backs hit at or behind the line of scrimmage. That is a problem with the OL. It is not a problem with QB, RB, WR or play-calling. It points definitively to a lack of talent on the OL. Drafting a RB without improving that awful OL is a guaranteed fail. Drafting a QB without upgrading pass protection and creating a serious running threat is a guaranteed fail. If Jamaal Brown is here or the Skins have a real chance at a good right tackle through FA, then they still have to find something to shore up the middle of the OL. Failing that, the Skins fail. Outside of Williams and Brown, last year's starters are starters in name only. There is no depth currently at any position on the OL. Every OL that wasn't starting either has no experience (Cook, Capers), no talent (Heyers) or is too old (Hicks). You don't find OL starters in the 5th round and later unless the team is beyond desperate. Either improve the OLine in today's picks in the second, or plan on another sub-500 season.

I am forced to repeat myself. The Skins are ranked 31 out of 32 teams for running backs hit at or behind the line of scrimmage. That is a problem with the OL. It is not a problem with QB, RB, WR or play-calling. It points definitively to a lack of talent on the OL. Drafting a RB without improving that awful OL is a guaranteed fail. Drafting a QB without upgrading pass protection and creating a serious running threat is a guaranteed fail. If Jamaal Brown is here or the Skins have a real chance at a good right tackle through FA, then they still have to find something to shore up the middle of the OL. Failing that, the Skins fail. Outside of Williams and Brown, last year's starters are starters in name only. There is no depth currently at any position on the OL. Every OL that wasn't starting either has no experience (Cook, Capers), no talent (Heyers) or is too old (Hicks). You don't find OL starters in the 5th round and later unless the team is beyond desperate. Either improve the OLine in today's picks in the second, or plan on another sub-500 season.

You dont draft on need either if a you take BPA and it happens. This team would have been sub .500 if they drafted a lineman. I like Williams I think he would be a great fit for what we do but I would be happy with a lineman too.

Why are people clamoring for Paea? He's strong but only weighs about 300lbs which is more DE size than NT.

"Not big enough to line up on the nose at the next level. Extremely raw as a pass rusher and lacks a repertoire of pass rush moves. A bit stiff in the hips and struggles to break down ball carriers in space. Relatively new to the game of football."

I think I would rather take Marvin Austin (DT) who has 1st round talent at #41, then trade down into later in the 2nd, hopefully pick up a 3rd, and grab Tandon Doss (WR) after. I think Doss would be a steal, has #1 WR size, is a good route runner, and might have the best hands in the draft. Also seems like he shows up when the competition is raised. I think Austin could fit as a good 3-4 DE because he has good lateral agility to move along the line which is key.

I'm doubting Dalton/Kaepernick/Mallet even last to #41 with Mallet possibly being the exception, but I'm not sure we even make that pick. If Dalton slips, sure, but Mallet doesn't fit the system as far as I can tell, and while Kaepernick has the upside, I think we're looking for players that can contribute immediately. It's just not logical to take a project QB and stick him behind our suspect O-line. And I'm a VT fan and a fan of Ryan Williams, but I do think we have more pressing needs. Our rushing attack was never really an issue last season and that's almost always been the case with Shanahan's offense. It's more likely we grab a Day 3 RB prospect if anything.

The same theory you apply to NT can be said for QB, WR, and Oline.

they def. all need to be upgraded, but i dont agree. lemme explain it this way:

-we have 0% promising talent at qb

-we have ~15% promising talent at wr (perhaps armstrong, malcomb, and austin will get better)

-we have 0% promising talent at guard

-we have 0% promising talent at center

-we have 40% promising talent at nose tackle (in anthony bryant)

so, we know that we will suck at qb, wr, guard, and center. thats not a question, its a fact. and unless we get someone, it will happen.

we at least have someone who has shown that he might be able to compete at nose tackle.

therefore, the former picks will be better for our team.

---------- Post added April-29th-2011 at 04:33 PM ----------

ryan-mallett-misses-meeting-panthers-2011-4

This guy is a steal in the second round, especially if he somehow slips to the pick we got from Jax.

i would be very concerned if we got him. confident and ****y attitude is great when a player shows good character outside the football field. confident, ****y attitude can be disastrous if a player has off the field issues, such as mallet. i dont think shanny will take that risk after what he has been through already.

I have concluded that we should target 2 players in the 2nd and that is Greg Little and Ryan Williams' date=' I believe that they just may be the 2 most talented prospects at this point, considering we have so many needs lets back off certain positions and go for the talent. Both these guy's can be game changers, and fit very well into what Shanny likes to do on offense.[/quote']

Love Little especially, whereas I like some later-round RB's as well.

Would love Little and an OL or DE.

Or even better, Little, OL and DE after a trade-back.

Why are people clamoring for Paea? He's strong but only weighs about 300lbs which is more DE size than NT.

"Not big enough to line up on the nose at the next level. Extremely raw as a pass rusher and lacks a repertoire of pass rush moves. A bit stiff in the hips and struggles to break down ball carriers in space. Relatively new to the game of football."

Nice to quote the weaknesses on nfl.com. But next times post the strenghts as well:

Paea is thickly built and runs well. Explodes off the ball and has great strength to jar offensive lineman. Uses his powerful hands to control blockers, sheds quickly, and closes fast. Delivers violent shots when tackling. Supremely tough, fights to the whistle every play and has excellent stamina. Gym rat with a great work ethic.

The overview:

Paea is a powerful run stuffer that plays angry and should contribute immediately at the next level. He is as strong as an ox and consistently knocks lineman back on their heels. He takes on double teams and is near impossible to move out of the hole. He lacks refined pass rushing skills, but has heavy hands and a good burst to eventually become a weapon on third down. He is still learning the finer points of the game, but he has unparalleled toughness and a tireless work ethic. Paea will likely not last past the middle of the first round.

Like every one he got flaws, but in the end he really doesn't seem like a bad choice to me.

Archived