Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Two 2nd rounders... What do we do.

Hal2856

Did you read my umpteen other post on it? The guy has huge upside, he's on the roster, and he didn't cost us a thing. He is a Shanny type of RB, fits well with the system, and turned down a shot for immediate playing time with the Panthers to remain on the Practice Squad with the Skins. Obviously Shanahan sees something in the kid. To say he's "terrible" is just wrong, because he barely got a shot to prove himself yet. Lets see what he can do with a better O-Line in place before he's completely dismissed. I really hope you eat crow by the end of the season. If he doesn't live up to his potential, I'll gladly eat crow, and admit I'm wrong (I really don't think I am though).

If he was so bad then why did Cleveland cut him then?

Local papers out here say that Oakland covets QB Colin Kaepernick.

I expect the Skins to trade pick #41 to the Raiders (provided Kaepernick is still on the board) to the Raiders for their second rounder (pick #49) and their 4th Rounder (pick #113).

Skins & Raiders have a history of making trades during the draft.

Picks #48 and #49 then would be Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA and Ben Ijalana, OT, Villanova.

although...I wouldn't be terribly disappointed if they took Mallet at either of the 2nd round picks..even if it was at #41.

No way we take Ayers now that we have Kerrigan and Orakpo. Period, end of story.

Peae gets taken at 48 by Oakland and Austin gets taken at 62 by the bears.

I'd much rather get those two (at least one). I know WR and RB (less so) are needs, but I want line guys. I think Joesph and Harris are likely bets in FA, so I think it's the best way to go.

If we could trade 41 back with the Raiders so they get Kaepernick and add a 4th and get those two DL, I'm gonna be in heaven.

I have heard so many people making predictions, and, so many people were WAY off in the first round.. it's crazy lol.

I think we have to go with BPA, it will likely fill a need. It obviously can't be at a position we are set at tho (TE).

I am kinda warming up to the Andy Dalon idea even tho he will be gone before we pick.

I just have this raunchy feeling we will grab Mallett.

We HAVE to get a legit NT out of this draft... I think Powe is the guy!

---------- Post added April-29th-2011 at 10:25 AM ----------

Its going to a big FAIL for this draft if we do not pick up a OL and NT out of these two 2nd rounders.

I actually love Powe too, but he's rated as a mid-late round guy. Earlier in the off season they said 2nd round, now most places say 4-5th round. So, even if we don't take him today, we may be able to get him in the 5th still. As for OL, we need a guard or center, and even in a power scheme those guys can be found later in the draft as well. I'm not too worried about what we do with these two picks, but it would be nice to trade back and pick up and extra 3rd or 4th rounder which would be a perfect place to pick up Powe.

Another guy I'd love to see us get is Orlando Franklin (OT Miami) he was a tackle in college but most people have him projected as a guard (though a VERY athletic pulling type of guard) in the NFL. He'd be fantastic in our system.

I agree with ya chaught. No matter who you put at QB, right now, he'll be dead meat with our line. We might have no long terms solutions but I wouldn't take a QB I don't see as a solution for the future just because I have a need. If I don't think they will fit in any way here, I'd rather pick someone else. Picking a guy just because this position is not settled for 5+ years is not a good idea... Might as well pick a Punter or a Kicker...

So, go Paea and C, and that should be fine. Do the year with grossman/Mc5 or any FA QB to do their trick for a year, and see what next year brings in terms of QB.

Honestly, if a see what the Panthers did the last two years it makes me laugh. Clausen last year, Nexton this year. At least, one of them is a wasted high pick. We can't afford that kind of mistakes.

I don't want to turn this thread into another "franchise QB / how to build your team" thread, but I would be really surprised to see us get a QB today.

I am not advocating we don't need one because we do; however I think the Redskins brass are looking at things like this:

- Our offense did OK this past year, but we couldn't stop anyone on defense.

- We had little to no pass rush.

- We couldn't stop the run.

- The center of our O-line is suspect, so unless we are absolutely sure we found our guy at QB, we should probably fix the defense and O-line first so we can give ourselves at least a chance to win a tight game and so whoever is back there (QB and RB) don't get killed.

Just my 2 cents, take it for what it is worth. :)

I do agree with you here. This would be the smart plan honestly.

It would just be really nice to get a fresh impact player on offense somewhere as well. I am all aboard the Ryan Williams bandwagon (Hokie homer here) it isn't likely tho.

I know about the injury story how he got hurt during non contact drills. But lets face it he isn't that good.

How do you know? He's barely had a shot. My whole point to all of this, is, the Redskins should not draft a RB in the 2nd round. With 3 on the roster, lets give those guys a shot behind an improved OL. Lets use the 2nd round picks wisely on a NT and a Center. If the 3 RBs on the roster right now do now pan out this year, then one of focuses next off-season should be RB. I simply don't think it is necessary this year is all.

its beginning to look that way.

seriously tho, rex grossman and john beck for 16 games. we will 100% be picking in the top 8 next season. there better be some shining stud QB sitting there next april when we do this again.

I don't know. McNabb was worse than Grossman last season and we have a spectacularly weak schedule this season. I think we're 8-8 at a minimum.

How do you know? He's barely had a shot. My whole point to all of this, is, the Redskins should not draft a RB in the 2nd round. With 3 on the roster, lets give those guys a shot behind an improved OL. Lets use the 2nd round picks wisely on a NT and a Center. If the 3 RBs on the roster right now do now pan out this year, then one of focuses next off-season should be RB. I simply don't think it is necessary this year is all.

Torrain can't stay healthy, Keiland is a third down back and Davis is camp fodder. How do you know that won't address NT or center throught free agency? Or address Center or, NT and RB with their 2 second rd picks? I think at either pick you value BPA or need at that point.

I think we when we get bogged down in specific players we have situations like last night where people get upset when we don't take a Blaine Gabbert when he is there. After watching the drafts so far, I trust our scouts to bring in talent that is going to fit our scheme, and I hope we spend the picks on players of need. That's all I really care about. As long as it's a NT, QB, WR, OL, or RB I'll be happy with whoever the guy is, because I think we can trust this front office to give us the best value to fill a hole out there.

I was honestly thinking Shanahan was interested in a QB, but after him passing on the one he had on the top of his board in Gabbert last night, I'm not to sure anymore. At any rate, if Dalton is somehow there at 41 the Skins should snatch him, IMO.

<<----my video blog thoughts

I agree with ya chaught. No matter who you put at QB, right now, he'll be dead meat with our line. We might have no long terms solutions but I wouldn't take a QB I don't see as a solution for the future just because I have a need. If I don't think they will fit in any way here, I'd rather pick someone else. Picking a guy just because this position is not settled for 5+ years is not a good idea... Might as well pick a Punter or a Kicker...

So, go Paea and C, and that should be fine. Do the year with grossman/Mc5 or any FA QB to do their trick for a year, and see what next year brings in terms of QB.

Honestly, if a see what the Panthers did the last two years it makes me laugh. Clausen last year, Nexton this year. At least, one of them is a wasted high pick. We can't afford that kind of mistakes.

I think we need to keep FA in mind during this as well.

For discussions sake, let's say we keep both our seconds and land DT - Austin or Paea and grab G - Rodney Hudson, next we land C - Kirkpatrick in the 5th, and finally once FA starts we land Davin Joseph.

Our O-line now potentially looks like Williams, Hudson, Kirkpatrick, Joseph, Brown with Montgomery, Lichtensteiger, Rabach, Capers, Heyer, competing for roster spots.

Our D-line then potentially looks like Carriker, Bryant/Austin or Paea, Daniels with Golston, Jarmon, Holliday, Kemoeatu fighting for depth.

Not to shabby.

I don't know. McNabb was worse than Grossman last season and we have a spectacularly weak schedule this season. I think we're 8-8 at a minimum.

if we win 6 games ill be shocked. our WR situation will be even bleaker if moss leaves and grossman is a turnover machine and theres nobody waiting to spell him if he flops.

were in for another rough season, i just hope we get some nice pieces moving forward and all of these draft picks end up working out. i still just wish we knew there was a young QB waiting in the wings, so at least there would be something to look forward to.

Torrain can't stay healthy, Keiland is a third down back and Davis is camp fodder. How do you know that won't address NT or center throught free agency? Or address Center or, NT and RB with their 2 second rd picks? I think at either pick you value BPA or need at that point.

That's just it, NONE of us know jack at this point. I simply think Davis is better than you are giving him credit for. I'm not saying he's gonna be a pro bowl back, but with Torrain and Williams, I think we have bigger needs than RB at this point (MLB, C, OG, NT, DT, CB, QB). Shanny is the master at finding diamonds in the rough for RBs and that's exactly what J. Davis is. Again, if I'm wrong, I'll eat crow, but I hope it's you.

I have heard so many people making predictions, and, so many people were WAY off in the first round.. it's crazy lol.

It's like that every year.

I think we have to go with BPA, it will likely fill a need. It obviously can't be at a position we are set at tho (TE).

I think this is where we have messed up so often is BPA. That was Vinny's motto, never looking to move up or down, just accepted our position in the Draft as gospel & went with BPA. Personally, I think it's a terrible philosophy if that's all we're going for.

I think we should try everything else & exhaust all other options for the positions we need to fill first before resorting to that. BPA doesn't necessarily fill a need for us, just a roster spot.

Archived