Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Two 2nd rounders... What do we do.

Hal2856

take the BPA for any of our needs - we have a lot

If one of the good D-line is still there like Austin, Paea - great!

If Shanny thinks that one of the QBs is good value at the spot - great!

I would guess that there'd be some value in WR in te 2nd round

Interior line could be nice

corner with the 2nd 2nd - maybe the guy out of miami

The one I would avoid is RB - there's value later

We have so many needs, that we can afford to see what value there is with any of our needs, and then take that guy - basically the best value guy that isn't TE, S or OLB

If we can get two out of the four below, I'd be estatic!!

DE Da’Quan Bowers (Clemson)

DT Stephen Paea (Oregon State)

WR Leonard Hankerson (Miami)

QB Ryan Mallet (Arkansas)

I like your thinking here...I'd add this guy too: Stefen Wisniewski ©. I'd love for Bowers to fall to 41...he may be better suited for a 4-3 D, but he's a meast anyway you cut it, and can be a HUGE asset to the Skins D-Line.

Best available OL

Then CB, DL, WR, NT, QB

I like that Paea guy. Not sold on using our first 2nd round pick on him with the way our OL looks.

Let's skip a QB this year. Other than Mallet, I think it's pretty dry...and we need other holes filled. Next year we make it a priority if Rexy fails.

Sexy Rexy: we are handing you the reins, kid. Not everyone in the NFL gets a second chance. Use it wisely son. Make us proud.

I think Washington uses one its second picks on a NT/OL/QB/WR and try to trade back again to acquire more picks.

I think DT - Austin, C -Wisniewski, QB - Mallett, QB - Kapernick, WR - Greg Little, WR - Cobb, etc. are all viable draft targets for us with NT and OL being the most important.

Although I like the idea of Ryan Williams in B&G, this is a kind of deep RB class, so I could see us waiting on a running back. I think we could get a real steal with draftin Pitt's RB - D. Lewis in the 5th round.

As a matter of fact, apart from all the smokescreens, Shanny did exactlly what he said at the very begining: He drefted a pass rusher opposite to Orakpo. So I suppose next move will be to select a QB (one among Mallet, Dalton or Kaepernick, i go with the last one) and then i woulden't be surprised if he trade down once more to add more picks and have back the 3rd and the 4rth we have lost.

Stephen Paea

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

So we have a myriad of options before we go stampedeing towards the clitoris:

Paea is my #1, but Hankerson and Smith are there at WR, Kaepernick and Dalton are appealing, Hudson, Franklin and Wisnewski are definite needs. I actually feel good about the Redskins drafting. This is an odd sensation...

Admittedly, this is likely to be a long, rambling, post.

And I'll start by saying that I really don't know much about football, let alone about the specialty of draft strategy. Me, when I rate a draft, I look at "In round X, we took a <position>".

But me, I've been wanting, for years, for our strategy to be "trade out of the first, get 3 picks in the second or so, and get the best available lineman with all three picks."

My (admittedly uninformed) opinion is that, for example, if you take a QB in the 2nd, then the most likely result is that he's going to sit on your roster for three years, and you're going to decide that you've picked a decent backup. And the odds are rather good that he'll go somewhere else after three years, without seeing the field much. Similarly, my opinion on things like CBs and WRs is that a) there's no such thing as a sure thing, and B) the ones that are almost sure things all get picked in the first round.

However, my opinion is that if you spend a 2nd/3rd round pick on a lineman, then you probably won't get a Pro Bowler, but you've got a good chance of getting a blue collar type who'll be a starter for eight years.

And I'll take that outcome all day long.

I saw people in the draft day thread talk about taking NT in the second. I have to say that my opinion is that a really good NT might well be the toughest position in the NFL to recruit for. That they're really, really, rare. (I recall reading some expert who was stating that if you ranked all the linemen in the NFL according to their salary, the top 4, and 5 of the top 6, were 3-4 NTs.. They're the key to running a 3-4, and there aren't many people who are good at it.)

But I also have to say that, if I'm wrong, and a replacement for Fatty is on the board in the second, then I'd expect another one of those "Redskins turn in their pick three seconds after the clock starts" kind of picks. I wouldn't even wait to see if anybody wanted to give us anything for the pick.

(And on the subject of Fatty: I seem to remember reading that trading supposedly opens up this morning. I know this is like wishing to win the lottery, but if somebody wanted to give us their 2nd round pick for the guy, I'd jump for joy, too.)

Also, continuing "Larry's analysis based solely on position and draft round", I'd observe that Larry's opinion is that any pick in round 4 or later is a crap shoot, but that my suspicion is that in the fifth round, you have a better odds of finding a decent OG, than you have at any other position. (Although there's certainly a lot to be said for "BAA" for the "day two" picks, too.)

The Tampa guard Davin Joseph has been banded around. He'd be a great fit for this scheme. 27's a tad older than I'd ideally like out of a FA, but for proven quality I'd be down with it.

Hail.

I could see the skins picking up Davin so in the mean time they can stock up on young lineman.

I'm not a VT fan. Williams is one of the best backs coming out and we need one. Simple as that.

Not really. I am perfectly content to go into next season with Torain and Williams. They are at least serviceable, and with this team right now, serviceable means it's a strength! :)

Although, after making that long post about why we should always draft linemen in the 2nd round . . .

I was under the impression that everybody and their brother were picking QBs, yesterday, and that all that were left were the dregs. I went to NFL.com to gather statistics to support my position.

And I discover that, if the Skins were on the clock right now, we'd have a choice between

• The # 5 QB. (Meaning, "4 QBs have been picked, so far")
  • The # 9 OL
  • The # 13 DL

Looked at that way, I could be convinced that spending a 2nd round pick on the # 5 QB prospect might be a better investment than spending it on the # 13 DL.

The Tampa guard Davin Joseph has been banded around. He'd be a great fit for this scheme. 27's a tad older than I'd ideally like out of a FA, but for proven quality I'd be down with it.

Hail.

Considering most guys come out of the draft at 21 or 22 and sign 4 or 5 year deals, I'd say 26 or 27 is right about where you would expect to find free agents. I'd looooove to get Joseph.

Not really. I am perfectly content to go into next season with Torain and Williams. They are at least serviceable, and with this team right now, serviceable means it's a strength! :)

Not to mention, James Davis is still on the roster. That guy has potential, and if he can live up to it, he could be a solid contributor for the next 5+ years. I vote to pass on a RB, and keep the focus on the Lines and LBs.

If I recall he won't be a FA if they go with the 6 year rule, hopefully am wrong on that but I thought I saw a chart of Fa's if they go with the 6 year rule and he didn't make the cut

---------- Post added April-29th-2011 at 08:55 AM ----------

Other thing we could do also is move Kory to his natural position of center and draft a guard, all the guards are there for the taking aside from Watkins. Am listening to Kiper right now, he thinks R. Williams goes early 2nd, I recall one of our insiders said the Skins are high on him. Kiper has Pae as his 2nd rated player left on his board.

I would love the skins to draft Ryan Williams I really think he would be the game changer that we have been needing in the back field for awhile. Paea has a great motor.

Not to mention, James Davis is still on the roster. That guy has potential, and if he can live up to it, he could be a solid contributor for the next 5+ years. I vote to pass on a RB, and keep the focus on the Lines and LBs.

Meh, he was terrible when he got his chance last year. Not impressed at all. Some think Williams will be the best back coming out of this draft.

---------- Post added April-29th-2011 at 09:44 AM ----------

I want Ryan Williams if we get him i love this whole draft

Yes, he would be the game changer we desp need!

Unless Mike Shanahan surprises everyone and brings McNabb back, I'd say he has to draft Andy Dalton with the 41s pick if he's there. Also, NT needs to be addressed also. I'd like to see Mike Shanahan draft Jerrell Powe from Old Miss.

Not really with talk of interest in signing Matt Hasselbeck. Id really like him here as a teacher to a younger QB.

Meh, he was terrible when he got his chance last year. Not impressed at all. Some think Williams will be the best back coming out of this draft.

---------- Post added April-29th-2011 at 09:44 AM ----------

I think it's WAY too early to dismiss James Davis. He barely played, and when he did, he was certainly not terrible. Yeah, he has a ways to go, but how about we see how he does in the Pre-Season / Season before we waste a pick on an RB when we already have 3 guys who can contribute.

First of all....GOD please do not let us pick Ryan Mallet. If anyone has heard him speak they would know the guy is an absolute idiot. Idiotic QBs just do not succeed.

Second, RB would be another horrible choice in the 2nd round. The one thing we know about Shanny is he can pull a RB off the scrap heap whenever he wants, no need to waste a pick on one. RB is the least predictable position, especially after the first round.

Someone said something about Paea being too small...dude may be a little short but he weighs 300 lbs and broke the combine bench record. Thats the NT I want. Austin is also a great talent but I would worry about his character, where Paea is supposedly a good guy and really hard worker. I feel that is the direction the Skins are looking to head.

With the other pick I would either want WR Torrey Smith, (because the guy is an absolute beast and single handedly kept my Wolfpack out of the ACC championship game) or Aaron Williams to play FS.

As for the QB, wait till next year when there is a better crop of QBs. We aren't winning the Super Bowl this year, no need to waste a pick on a QB that probably won't end up playing more than a year or two (see Carolina Panthers drafting Jimmy Clausen).

Best available Oline would always be welcomed.

First of all....GOD please do not let us pick Ryan Mallet. If anyone has heard him speak they would know the guy is an absolute idiot. Idiotic QBs just do not succeed.

Second, RB would be another horrible choice in the 2nd round. The one thing we know about Shanny is he can pull a RB off the scrap heap whenever he wants, no need to waste a pick on one. RB is the least predictable position, especially after the first round.

Someone said something about Paea being too small...dude may be a little short but he weighs 300 lbs and broke the combine bench record. Thats the NT I want. Austin is also a great talent but I would worry about his character, where Paea is supposedly a good guy and really hard worker. I feel that is the direction the Skins are looking to head.

With the other pick I would either want WR Torrey Smith, (because the guy is an absolute beast and single handedly kept my Wolfpack out of the ACC championship game) or Aaron Williams to play FS.

As for the QB, wait till next year when there is a better crop of QBs. We aren't winning the Super Bowl this year, no need to waste a pick on a QB that probably won't end up playing more than a year or two (see Carolina Panthers drafting Jimmy Clausen).

Best available Oline would always be welcomed.

I think Carolina drafted Cam because he will sell tickets.

I also think today will be a good indicator as to where we are heading at the start of FA. Of we ignore OL today' date=' I'm anticipating that we are, as rumoured, picking up one (if not two) OL free agents as soon as the gates are opened.[/quote']

If the Skins think they have a good chance at Davin Joesph for RG and Harris (or Brown) for RT, OL may be a lower priority.

If that happens this is what I hope to see...

41: Paea, NT

49: Marvin Austin, DE

5th: Greg McElroy, QB

5th: Jake Kirpatrick, C

6th: Chris Neild, NT

7th: Steven Friday, OLB

7th: Da'Rel Scott, RB

If the Skins think they have a good chance at Davin Joesph for RG and Harris (or Brown) for RT, OL may be a lower priority.

If that happens this is what I hope to see...

41: Paea, NT

49: Marvin Austin, DE

5th: Greg McElroy, QB

5th: Jake Kirpatrick, C

6th: Chris Neild, NT

7th: Steven Friday, OLB

7th: Da'Rel Scott, RB

What about the other 7th rd pick that we have?

Archived