Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TPM: Orange Co. GOPer Says Obama-As-Chimp Pic Was Just A Joke Meant For Friends

Destino

Do you understand that one action can be wrong for different reasons?

I remember the movie "Kids" which came out in the mid 90s. In it' date=' every white kid was calling everyone of their white friends "My "n-word"." I thought that was odd, but it seemed to be a trend and may even be a trend. I would feel uncomfortable if I heard one white kid call another white kid that. I would be horrified if I heard a white kid call a black kid that.[/quote']

OT, but am I the only person who has noticed that, in the Star Wars movies, the "Jedi mind trick" worked every single time it is done on a human, but fails every single time when done on any non-human?

What's Lucas trying to say about humans? And should we, as a species, be offended?

In this thread I've learned that there are no racial stereotypes.

Calling me a dumb drunk mick is the same as saying that to Forehead or Corcaigh. Glad I've got an account here, I continue to learn.

It's just as wrong to call a Catholic a "Dirty Kike" as it is a Jew. That's good to know.

---------- Post added April-19th-2011 at 08:16 AM ----------

OT, but am I the only person who has noticed that, in the Star Wars movies, that when the "Jedi mind trick" is done on a human, it works every single time, but when done on any non-human, it never worked once?

What's Lucas trying to say about humans? And should we, as a species, be offended?

It worked on Jabba's henchman. So, there you go.

OT, but am I the only person who has noticed that, in the Star Wars movies, that when the "Jedi mind trick" is done on a human, it works every single time, but when done on any non-human, it never worked once?

It worked on Jabba's Assistant. And the most powerful Jedis were human

:geek:

It's just as wrong to call a Catholic a "Dirty Kike" as it is a Jew. That's good to know.

I recently had a Jewish friend tell me that I got "Jewed" in a recent business transaction. And...I pretended to miss it while engrossing myself in a suddenly difficult jacket zipper.

I'm still wrapping my mind around Pikesville humor :ols:

I recently had a Jewish friend tell me that I got "Jewed" in a recent business transaction. And...I pretended to miss it while engrossing myself in a suddenly difficult jacket zipper.

I'm still wrapping my mind around Pikesville humor :ols:

When I was 17, I was part of this summer program for "the best and brightest." We spent a month at a camp readin' and writin' and gettin' indoctrinated by godless multiculturalists. One of the guest speakers was Barbara Bush's speechwriter/ghost writer, who was this wonderfully fascinating Jewish woman. She stayed with us for a few days and we were having this group discussion one night. One of the young ladies in the program was telling a story where she said, "I got Jewed." Immediately, the room froze. Luckily, Susan was - as I said - wonderful and diffused the situation with humor and grace while still letting it be known that this is probably not something you want to say.

Jewish people - by and large - seem particulary good at using humor to diffuse these situations. Of course, I would not take your friend's comment as an invitation to call particular people "Jewy" looking.

We are all going to step on landmines from time to time. The story about giving a black baby a picture of a monkey is one of those.

Where I draw the line is a) intent and B) willful ignorance.

This mean old **** in Orange County had a racist intent.

The HH's of the world are being willfully ignorant.

It depresses me to see people defending the indefensible with "well if it was OK for Bush then it's OK for Obama". Have you ever made a joke or a disparaging remark about Paris Hilton? If so, you won't mind if I joke about how slutty that "Virgin" Mary was, right? I mean, they're both broads, right?

Why are people afraid to call racists for what they are? I don't understand this.

I am making a conscious effort to tone down the knee jerk moral outrage that normally overcomes me in situations like this.*Maybe* its possible she's not a racist, who knows. I tend to jump to conclusions when something fits nicely in to a pre-constructed notion in my head, and this is an attempt on my part to be more measured.

You're probably right though, if it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck..

There is such a lack of common sense in this email it's absurd. There is no way you can be an American and not see the racism in that picture.

Either get rid of her for being racist or get rid of her for being incredibly stupid.

Why are people afraid to call racists for what they are? I don't understand this.
For certain segments of white America, I think that being called a racist has become the absolute worst insult you can call someone. In some ways, it is similar to the N-word for black people. Like you can call a white person a cracker and he will just laugh it off, but if you call him a racist he will go crazy trying to defend himself. So people are more careful about throwing around the word "racist."

For certain segments of white America, I think that being called a racist has become the absolute worst insult you can call someone. In some ways, it is similar to the N-word for black people. Like you can call a white person a cracker and he will just laugh it off, but if you call him a racist he will go crazy trying to defend himself. So people are more careful about throwing around the word "racist."

And most whites will go to ridiculous lengths and say ridiculous things to prove that they aren't a racist.

IMO, we've painted ourselves into a corner so badly when it comes to race in this country, that we can't have the open and honest conversations that we need to have in order to move forward.

I can't believe there is fifteen pages of argument about this. It doesn't have to be fair, but don't compare african-americans to monkeys. It doesn't matter if someone compared a white person to a monkey before, because it doesnt have the same connotation. Comparing a black person to a monkey connotes SLAVERY, an institution in which black PEOPLE were considered less than human, i.e. sub-human, i.e. monkeys. Its racist to compare a black person to a monkey, its not racist to compare a white person to a monkey in this culture.

There is no need to defend this, or to argue about what's fair or what's not fair in "political correctness" world. Just don't do it, and if you do it, you are either 1) a racist; or 2) a ****ing moron.

There is no need to defend this, or to argue about what's fair or what's not fair in "political correctness" world. Just don't do it, and if you do it, you are either 1) a racist; or 2) a ****ing moron.

:ols::ols:

I am pleased with your development my young padawan

Are you saying it's ok to compare blacks from other countries to monkeys?

it takes a deliberate effort to be so obtuse to not understand that things often receive their meaning from the context of the culture in which they appear. for example, a swastika in a buddhist temple, versus a swastika on an armband of an american. however, just for clarification, unless you want to invoke the dispicable and horrible history in America of blacks being considered sub-human, then (while in america) please refrain from comparing them to chimps.

it takes a deliberate effort to be so obtuse to not understand that things often receive their meaning from the context of the culture in which they appear. for example, a swastika in a buddhist temple, versus a swastika on an armband of an american. however, just for clarification, unless you want to invoke the dispicable and horrible history in America of blacks being considered sub-human, then (while in america) please refrain from comparing them to chimps.

It's not just America though. European soccer matches have seen white fans throwing bananas onto the field when a black player scores.

And I don't think the message is "he must be talking about President Bush" :ols:

That was a joke and a stab at the political correctness of "African-American."

Yoda would disagree with you. ;)

Palpatine, both Skywalkers.

And I think if you read the uber-geek literature, Samuel L Jackson was the baddest mother****er of all. He had Palpatine on the ropes until that sniveling little **** threw him out the window.

It's not just America though. European soccer matches have seen white fans throwing bananas onto the field when a black player scores.

And I don't think the message is "he must be talking about President Bush" :ols:

It would be just as despicable to throw a banana at Wayne Rooney.

/ABCSWDCOWBOYed

---------- Post added April-19th-2011 at 12:10 PM ----------

And I think if you read the uber-geek literature, Samuel L Jackson was the baddest mother****er of all. He had Palpatine on the ropes until that sniveling little **** threw him out the window.

Wow. And you mock people who don't rebuild their won carburators......You are a Star Wars geek.

Yeah, I'll confess to being a reader of geeky Star Wars literature and Mace Windu was most defintely a bad mother****er.

Archived