Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TPM: Orange Co. GOPer Says Obama-As-Chimp Pic Was Just A Joke Meant For Friends

Destino

"I am an imperfect Christian lady who tries her best to live a Christ-like honoring life. I would never do anything to intentionally harm or berate others regardless of ethnicity. Everyone who knows me knows that to be true."

I love how she drags her christianity into it to play the sympathy card.

:doh:

Let's be clear here. Mr Davenport committed the flagrant ignorant idiotic e-mail. Not her constituency. Try as you want to to paint her constituency like her id suggest your conjecture is off base.

I've been to Orange County. Dan T. is being kind in his description.

Every evil right wing idea that has been implemented in this country since 1952 originated in Orange County (Nixon and Reagan being the two most promiment ideas). It's a group of conservatives who got massively rich of government defense contracts and then decided that the main problem in this country was that the government was spending too much money on poor people.

California's financial crisis is directly related to Prop 13. Where did that stupid idea come from?

Orange ****ing County.

Do you know how Right-wing nutcases think all of the evil in the world emanates from Berkeley, California and Cambridge, Massachusetts? Imagine if all the "fringe" ideas in those little enclaves actually became federal law.

Well, every fringe idea that came out of Orange County DID become law. California is broke because of it, and the federal government is not too far behind.

/Rant over.

I've been to Orange County. Dan T. is being kind in his description.

Every evil right wing idea that has been implemented in this country since 1952 originated in Orange County (Nixon and Reagan being the two most promiment ideas). It's a group of conservatives who got massively rich of government defense contracts and then decided that the main problem in this country was that the government was spending too much money on poor people.

California's financial crisis is directly related to Prop 13. Where did that stupid idea come from?

Orange ****ing County.

Do you know how Right-wing nutcases think all of the evil in the world emanates from Berkeley' date=' California and Cambridge, Massachusetts? Imagine if all the "fringe" ideas in those little enclaves actually became federal law.

Well, every fringe idea that came out of Orange County DID become law. California is broke because of it, and the federal government is not too far behind.

/Rant over.[/quote']

I'll defer to those in CA but is prop 13 really that bad???

"Finally, if California did not have an acquisition-value standard for assessing property, it would have to consider creating one. An acquisition-value standard has advantages for taxpayers and for government. This system is more equitable as it links tax liability to ability to pay more directly than a market-value system. It is also more predictable for taxpayers, removes much of the problem of subjective assessments, and protects homeowners against prohibitive property tax increases during periods of rising values.

For businesses, most find the predictability of Proposition 13 one of the few bright spots in California's often-burdensome climate of taxation and regulation. For government, acquisition value has created a stable and fast-growing revenue source, with a reserve of value to cushion revenue downturns in economic bad times."

http://www.caltax.org/research/prop13/prop13.htm

I'll defer to those in CA but is prop 13 really that bad???

"Finally, if California did not have an acquisition-value standard for assessing property, it would have to consider creating one. An acquisition-value standard has advantages for taxpayers and for government. This system is more equitable as it links tax liability to ability to pay more directly than a market-value system. It is also more predictable for taxpayers, removes much of the problem of subjective assessments, and protects homeowners against prohibitive property tax increases during periods of rising values.

For businesses, most find the predictability of Proposition 13 one of the few bright spots in California's often-burdensome climate of taxation and regulation. For government, acquisition value has created a stable and fast-growing revenue source, with a reserve of value to cushion revenue downturns in economic bad times."

http://www.caltax.org/research/prop13/prop13.htm

The Proposition System in general is awful. Prop 13 is bad because it has created a system where a person would have to have a highly compelling reason to sell a house that they bought in the 70s or 80s because they have an incredible tax subsidy. This has created a shortage which has over-valued California real estate to a ridiculous degree.

Prop 13 also has completely limited the ability of Sacramento to raise funds - which has forced them into other schemes which has created the difficult business climate in CA.

Howard Jarvis, an ORANGE COUNTY anti-government jackass businessman, is a giant ******* whose legacy lies with Prop 13.

His idea, while having some merit (well one - the idea of not pricing old people out of their homes) is the main culprit why the state has had problems since it's passage.

It's pro-business and anti local/state government though in nature.

The prop robbed local governments of funds, of which, the state has had to make up. Local governments loss power in this prop and have become whores of the state. Additionally, it robbed the state of the ability to create taxes, unless a 2/3 vote occurred in its legislature.

Ever tried to get 2/3 of the legislature to agree to something?

The assessment part of Prop 13 is the most insane portion in my eye. If you bought your house in San Francisco in 1975 for, I dunno, $50,000...it can only be increased in value by one percent per year from that baseline.

That means that $50,000 house in San Francisco is now assessed for tax purposes at ....$72,000, provided the owner has never moved. Even if all the other houses on the street are selling for $750,000. Why would you ever move unless there was a gun pointed at your head? And how can the local government pay for services in 2011 dollars based on taxes collected on property assessed in 1975 dollars.

Imagine living in a situation where you and your neighbor live in nearly identical houses and his is assessed at 10 percent of the value of yours by the state just because he lived there 30 years.

And how can the local government pay for services in 2011 dollars based on taxes collected on property assessed in 1975 dollars.

That's the point. I've said it before electing someone that is openly hostile to most of the things the government is doing, to a position in government, is crazy. Can you imagine the NRA selecting a gun control advocate to be their next CEO? Of course not. When it comes to government though people get stupid. When an anti government program nut intentionally puts something into law that makes funding programs impossible we are all supposed to act surprised?

I'm glad I missed this thread.

I probably would have been able to restrain myself, and I would have burnt some bridges.

As yes, Prop 13 is really really awful, and is pretty much 90 percent of the reason California has so many problems now. I benefit from it personally, but it is destroying the state.

Blaming a COUNTY in a state that is Democratic is TRULY an exercise in Ignorance

The California State Legislature currently has a Democratic majority, with the Senate consisting of 25 Democrats and 15 Republicans; and the Assembly having 52 Democrats, 27 Republicans, and 1 vacancy. Except for the period from 1995 to 1996, the Assembly has been in Democratic hands since the 1970 election (even while the governor's office has gone back and forth between Republicans and Democrats). The Senate has been in Democratic hands continuously since 1970.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Legislature

The Prop 13 Boogeyman and Reagan....nicely played Liberals

Try Ignorant Democratic Budgets....That give BILLIONS to Unions

California is the nation's shameful example of what happens when Democrats influenced by big-government labor rule the statehouse for forty years.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2010/04/californias_half_trilliondolla.html

Now onto the topic

Pretty stupid...I hope she gets canned

And Now for something completly different....

5085238_7672337_290.jpg

Is it me or does it seem to anyone else that the GOP apologists and racism deniers would claim that anything short of someone saying point blank, "I hate black people" isn't actually racism? It's so sad that people that I actually like here defend this racist politician and her non-apology.

new-obama-ape-cropped-proto-custom_2-1.jpg

When in doubt blame the unions! This month. Next month it will be the mexicans again.
How about we blame DEMOCRATS?

Did they not control Both Houses?

Did they not elect Jerry Brown in a LANDSLIDE that very year? (1978)

Are you a Democrat?,,,,,,,,If yes then I blame You ;)

Is it me or does it seem to anyone else that the GOP apologists and racism deniers would claim that anything short of someone saying point blank, "I hate black people" isn't actually racism? It's so sad that people that I actually like here defend this racist politician and her non-apology.

new-obama-ape-cropped-proto-custom_2-1.jpg

I agree.

I thought some people would have more sense.

I never heard the term "porch monkey" until I moved to Mississippi when I was in high school. My friends joked about this row of houses with old ladies that sat stoned face on a couch or upholstered chair they kept on their porches almost all day. And I thought it was a perfect description...they did look an awful lot like monkeys at the zoo.

But these women were white. I had no idea the phrase "porch monkey" was racist.

Man that came back to bite me a few years later. :slap:

Well to be honest both of those groups have negatively affected the CA fiscal policies to a degree.

I guess that's why every President since George Washington has given a state of the Union address every year. Even in the 18th Century, they knew they had to keep a careful eye on the Union. :pfft:

Blaming a COUNTY in a state that is Democratic is TRULY an exercise in Ignorance

Name one good policy idea that ever originiated in Orange County.

And for the record, California only became an automatic "Democratic" state once Pete Wilson decided that all Mexicans needed to live full-time in detention camps or whatever plan it was he came up with. For most of the latter part of the 20th Century, it was a "Republican" state. Granted, that was largely during a time when Republicans were sane.

From 1983 to 2011, Democrats controlled the state house for less than four years - and that guy got recalled. California supported the Republican nominee in every presidential election from 1968 to 1988.

California is in the shape it is in because it followed the Republican economic policy to a tee. "You can have anything you want from government without paying for it."

Orange County is the embodiment of the Republican ideal of the 20th Century. "Government is the problem - except when billion dollar defense contracts are fueling our economy. In that instance, Government is good."

---------- Post added April-20th-2011 at 08:25 AM ----------

Well to be honest both of those groups have negatively affected the CA fiscal policies to a degree.

I'm going to start demanding that people follow up these statemtns with things like "proof." How so?

How about we blame DEMOCRATS?

Did they not control Both Houses?

Did they not elect Jerry Brown in a LANDSLIDE that very year? (1978)

Are you a Democrat?,,,,,,,,If yes then I blame You ;)

Prop 13 makes it impossible for the Legislature to do the ordinary things that a Legislature is supposed to do. It cannot be amended or altered by the Legislature in any way. It forces the Legislature to make ever more convoluted schemes to try to keep the state running despite an ever shrinking pool of property tax money.

You should know this if you live in California and have the intelligence of a gnat.

Name one good policy idea that ever originiated in Orange County.

And for the record' date=' California only became an automatic "Democratic" state once Pete Wilson decided that all Mexicans needed to live full-time in detention camps or whatever plan it was he came up with. For most of the latter part of the 20th Century, it was a "Republican" state. Granted, that was largely during a time when Republicans were sane.

From 1983 to 2011, Democrats controlled the state house for less than four years - and that guy got recalled. California supported the Republican nominee in every presidential election from 1968 to 1988.

California is in the shape it is in because it followed the Republican economic policy to a tee. "You can have anything you want from government without paying for it."

Orange County is the embodiment of the Republican ideal of the 20th Century. "Government is the problem - except when billion dollar defense contracts are fueling our economy. In that instance, Government is good."

This is correct. Since I have been in California, we have had two term GOP governor George Deukmejian, followed by two term GOP Governor Pete Wilson, followed by half a term of Democrat Gray Davis, followed by two term GOP Governator Arnold Schwarzenegger. This state is only Democratic these days because the GOP is now so closely associated with horrible Orange County ultra right wingers.

This is correct. Since I have been in California, we have had two term GOP governor George Deukmejian, followed by two term GOP Governor Pete Wilson, followed by half a term of Democrat Gray Davis, followed by two term GOP Governator Arnold Schwarzenegger. This state is only Democratic these days because the GOP is now so closely associated with horrible Orange County ultra right wingers.

What's interesting to me is that the GOP has become a party dominated by Sourthern Conservative Christians. But you can count on one hand the policy victories achieved by Southern Conservative Christians.

On the other hand, nearly every wide-ranging policy victory achieved by Republicans since the late 70s has originated, been financed, or directly benefitted Orange County. What we think of the Reagan Revolution - huge tax cuts combined with huge increases in defense spending - is Orange County through and through.

This is fun. How often does one get to go after the Evil That is Orange County on a Redskins Message Board?

Archived