Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TPM: Orange Co. GOPer Says Obama-As-Chimp Pic Was Just A Joke Meant For Friends

Destino

What's interesting to me is that the GOP has become a party dominated by Sourthern Conservative Christians. But you can count on one hand the policy victories achieved by Southern Conservative Christians.

On the other hand' date=' nearly every wide-ranging policy victory achieved by Republicans since the late 70s has originated, been financed, or directly benefitted Orange County. What we think of the Reagan Revolution - huge tax cuts combined with huge increases in defense spending - is Orange County through and through.

This is fun. How often does one get to go after the Evil That is Orange County on a Redskins Message Board?[/quote']

It might be evil, but it sure is a beautiful place!

It's a parking lot with a nice climate.

If I had to live with Crazy Right Wing Californians' date=' I'll choose San Diego.[/quote']

Interesting, considering you chose to live with Crazy Right Wing Texans .... that variety of Right Winger is the craaaaziest! ;)

Then I guess you can label me a racist if you feel it necessary. You're free to judge me as you wish, but I'll still know that I'm not a racist and that's enough for me.

oh please.. the wounded sniffles don't become anyone.

I will NEVER understand people that try to pretend that context doesn't matter ... seriously.

Do you think the same banter you would use with your drunk friends or that a stand -up comic would use would be appropriate for someone in a rape-trauma center? why WOULDN'T it be OK to say

"dude, if you show me that trophy one more time, I am going to shove it so far up your ass that you will never be able to find it again!"

to a woman that had JUST been raped (i am just using a specific example of something someone said in a bar recently that didn't really raise any eyebrows)

people being PURPOSELY obtuse is not an attractive quality

oh please.. the wounded sniffles don't become anyone.

Sniffles? I'm not crying in the least. Unlike so many people, my skin isn't paper-thin. If someone on the Internet has a negative opinion of me, it's not the end of the world.

I will NEVER understand people that try to pretend that context doesn't matter ... seriously.

Context does matter. My case through pretty much this entire thread is that I hate hypocrisy. You want some context? People compare folks they dislike unfavorably to monkeys. They always have and always will. There was a time when blacks were disliked, therefore they, as a group, were compared unfavorably to monkeys. There was a time when the Irish were disliked and we, as a group, were compared unfavorably to monkeys. There were various presidents who have been disliked and compared unfavorably to monkeys.

This is not something that use only been used for one race. It is used ALL THE TIME. This is not the N word where its used to disparage only one group.

So yes, I find it hypocritical when people think its okay for one but not okay for another because of race. I do not know this old lady's intent, but I do know that it was a stupid thing to do and she probably shouldn't be holding office. Its also important to remember that she's a 74 year old woman and did grow up in a different time. Is she a bit racist? Maybe, but she's a part of a dying generation. Let the hate die with them.

. They always have and always will. There was a time when blacks were disliked, therefore they, as a group, were compared unfavorably to monkeys.

I remember the day racism ended. I think there was a parade.

Its also important to remember that she's a 74 year old woman and did grow up in a different time. Is she a bit racist? Maybe, but she's a part of a dying generation. Let the hate die with them.

How many 74 year old women do you know with crazy photoshop skills? Do you think she created that picture?

:yawnee: I grow weary of this. Have fun telling each other how wrong I am.

Why is it so hard to just recognize what it is? I mean if W. Bush was portrayed wearing a white hood and robe would you be as reluctant to call it racism? Portraying Obama as a chimp is classic racist imagery that has a long historical standing in this country, and if an elected official can't figure that out then I suggest they go to some sensitivity training because they are sorely out of touch with racial epithets over the past 100 years.

Okay, let's put this in hockey terms.

You walk into the caps locker room and go up to Mike Green and say "whats up you commie ****". I bet he looks at you funny, like you have the wrong guy.

Then you go to that to Ovechkin. Same reaction?

Why or why not?

Discuss.

Context does matter. My case through pretty much this entire thread is that I hate hypocrisy. You want some context? People compare folks they dislike unfavorably to monkeys. They always have and always will. There was a time when blacks were disliked, therefore they, as a group, were compared unfavorably to monkeys. There was a time when the Irish were disliked and we, as a group, were compared unfavorably to monkeys. There were various presidents who have been disliked and compared unfavorably to monkeys.

This is not something that use only been used for one race. It is used ALL THE TIME. This is not the N word where its used to disparage only one group.

LKB already addressed your bizarre "there was a time when blacks were disliked" comment, but I'll just add that for you to toss that in there as part of your overall reasoning, really helps demonstrate how out of touch you appear to be with this discussion.

The historical usage of comparing black people to monkeys in this country goes completely against your point here. But keep ignoring that (and the people in this thread who have continuously reminded you of that).

So yes, I find it hypocritical when people think its okay for one but not okay for another because of race. I do not know this old lady's intent, but I do know that it was a stupid thing to do and she probably shouldn't be holding office. Its also important to remember that she's a 74 year old woman and did grow up in a different time. Is she a bit racist? Maybe, but she's a part of a dying generation. Let the hate die with them.

I think most people in this thread have said that it's not really OK to compare people to monkeys, meanwhile, it's a lot worse to compare specifically black people to monkeys (again, given that historical context that you're willfully ignoring).

The "dying generation" of racists that you're speaking of isn't as dead as you'd like to believe it is. And when you have government officials making racist jokes about the President, that only helps keep those beliefs alive.

Which is why it should just be unanimously condemned. End of story. Not dragged through this absurd argument you're trying to establish on behalf of fighting hypocrisy or whatever misplaced point you think you're making.

Okay, let's put this in hockey terms.

You walk into the caps locker room and go up to Mike Green and say "whats up you commie ****". I bet he looks at you funny, like you have the wrong guy.

Then you go to that to Ovechkin. Same reaction?

Why or why not?

Discuss.

I have a better suggestion.

Let's say I was in charge of nicknames for hockey players and suggested "The Spook on Skates" for Ovechkin. It would be a weird choice, but no one would necessarily blink.

Now, if I sugested the same thing for Jarome Iginla.....

I have a better suggestion.

Let's say I was in charge of nicknames for hockey players and suggested "The Spook on Skates" for Ovechkin. It would be a weird choice' date=' but no one would necessarily blink.

Now, if I sugested the same thing for Jarome Iginla.....[/quote']

How about if crowds threw bananas at Donald Brashear every time he got in fights. That might be fun.

"hey, here's a picture of George Bush with a banana! It's only fair that we do it to Brashear too" :doh1: :doh1:

bush-banana.jpg

Archived