Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Inner Mounting Flame

Hum - You'd Prefer An Astronaut

Sunny Day Real Estate- How it Feels To Be Something On

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works I & II

Devo - Are We Not Men?

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing

Miles Davis - ****es Brew

The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour

seems like the list would be the same as a top 10 favorite list.

For me, not really. Most on my list come from 1972 or thereabouts when I was 15 and helped form my musical identity. They are a part of me and I guess and if I heard them again for the first time... I would be 15 again. Oh to be young.

Right on to those that have mentioned Rainbow - Rising. Classic album, hugely influential, and still stands up. "A light in the Black" and "Stargazer" are outstanding metal tracks.

I would also mention

Led Zeppelin - II

Bon Jovi - Slippery when Wet (Don't laugh, the album rocks and just because a lot of girls liked it doesn't change that :silly: )

I mentioned Appetite for Destruction in my first post. Of all of them, that album probably blew me away the most. At that time, there was so much glam stuff going on. Thrash Metal was on the rise, and in the middle was this album that just rocked from the beginning to the end. Even hardcore metal guys had to give them props. So much attitude and energy. Every single track is great.

For me, not really. Most on my list come from 1972 or thereabouts when I was 15 and helped form my musical identity. They are a part of me and I guess and if I heard them again for the first time... I would be 15 again. Oh to be young.

see now I understand that, but for me most, if not all, of the albums I wish I could hear again for the first time are ones also which were a part of my musical formative years, so they are endeared to me and thus amongst my top favorites. The only albums I can think of that I'd want to hear again for the first time are my absolute favorites.

I think that's what you meant. Plush was the single.

Yes, Core. Thank you. First time i heard this album was epic. I still love this album to death. Very hard riffs, and cadences that were great during workouts.

To be honest, there is no album I want to hear for the first time. Unless it is an absolutely new release - like The 59 Sound by The Gaslight Anthem, I get ridiculously pissed when I hear an incredible album for the first time and realize that the thing is 20 years old. I didn't discover the Mats until they were practically broken up. I could have been listening to them for years - and at points in my life when I really needed them. Instead, I was buying Richard Marx cassettes or something.

As I said, it's rare for an album to blow me away the first time. I generally need to ease my way into them. It took me 15 years to realize that Tunnel of Love was my favorite Springsteen album. The two I mentioned where absolute love at first listen.

Blood on the Tracks ... Dylan.

so, so, so, solid. Dylan's lyrics can be real mysterious and surreal, but on this album he totally strips/dumbs down his lyrics and the music is so great.

i remember being so entranced when i first heard this work of art. every song is solid.

So now I'm going back again

I got to get her somehow

All the people we used to know

They're an illusion to me now

Some are mathematicians

Some are carpenter's wives

Don't know how it all got started

I don't what they're doing with their lives

But me I'm still on the road

Heading for another joint

We always did feel the same

We just saw it from a different point of view

- Tangled up in Blue

Backstage the girls were playin’ five-card stud by the stairs

Lily had two queens, she was hopin’ for a third to match her pair

Outside the streets were fillin’ up, the window was open wide

A gentle breeze was blowin’, you could feel it from inside

Lily called another bet and drew up the Jack of Hearts

- Lily, Rosemary And The Jack Of Hearts

---------- Post added April-8th-2011 at 11:02 AM ----------

4.) Guns n Roses - Appetite for Destruction

epic is the only way to describe this album ... good god.

Pixies - Surfer Rosa and Doolittle

Frank Black - Teenager of the Year

Modest Mouse - Lonesome Crowded West

Velvet Underground - S/T

Fugazi- Red Medicine

Minor Threat - Complete Discography

Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables

Soundgarden - Superunknown

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream

Propagandhi - Less Talk, More Rock

The Roots - Things Fall Apart

Mos Def - Black on Both Sides

John Coltrane - Ascension

Counting Crows - August and Everything After

I totally forgot to add Radiohead's OK Computer, another album that challenged my conceptions of what music could sound like.

Fugazi- Red Medicine

Minor Threat - Complete Discography

Complete Discography was an anthem in HS. I wore it out.

With time though, and kind of talking about what was discussed earlier in the thread, I've decided that Steady Diet of Nothing is my favorite Fugazi album. When it came out I was kind of lukewarm on the whole thing (13 Songs and Repeater were at the top of my playlist), but it steadily grew on me over the years. I think Nice New Outfit and Runaway Return are just incredible.

And I've seen Fugazi do a live version of Reclamation twice and both times it was the most powerful live musical performance I've ever seen.

I remember hearing 13 Songs (actually, 7 songs on vinyl) for the first time and I was instantly floored. But with time, I'm convinced Steady Diet is their greatest album. I think it's the great albums that you don't like instantly

Counting Crows - August and Everything After

Probably one of my all time favorite albums. Just outstanding.

[August and Everthing After]

Agree.Though their best SONG that fits into "Hear for the First Time" category might be Mrs. Potter's Lullaby, off a different album of theirs. That was one of those songs that, the very first time I heard it I got goose bumps on my arms when the coda came around.

Another first-time-I-heard-it SONG was "Walk Like an Egyptian." I heard first it cranked up full blast at a U. of Md. bar and I thought it was the wildest, funnest bar song I ever heard

I've been thinking about this since I saw it pop up on the board, and I can't really narrow it down, but I'll try

Mostly this will be old stuff, because frankly, i haven't bought an entire album in so long I don't remember when I heard what I liked on it. (I think the last CD I actually paid for when it was new was U2 All You Can't Leave Behind)

In no order of preference:

Talking Heads - Remain in Light

The Who - Tommy

Clash- The Clash

U2- War

Lou Reed- Rock and roll Animal

led Zeppelin III

Aerosmith - Rocks (still knocks me out every time.)

Ramones - Rocket to Russia

Rolling Stones - Let it Bleed

There's a lot more, I'm sure

~Bang

For me and music, nothing will ever replace the excitement I used to get from getting vinyl LPs via mail order. I would be so geeked up when they arrived I’d open them immediately and promptly play them on my Sears turntable relentlessly. These are just a few that came to mind.

Minor Threat: Out of Step

Misfits: Walk Among Us

Descendents: Milo Goes To College

Adolescents: Adolescents

Bad Brains: Bad Brains

Black Flag: First Four Years

Social Distortion: Mommie’s Little Monster

Husker Du: Flip Your Wig and New Day Rising

Minor Threat: Out of Step

Misfits: Walk Among Us

Descendents: Milo Goes To College

Adolescents: Adolescents

Bad Brains: Bad Brains

Black Flag: First Four Years

Social Distortion: Mommie’s Little Monster

Husker Du: Flip Your Wig and New Day Rising

I think I remember where I was for almost all of them for the first time.

Minor Threat may be the most under appreciated band of all time. I still get chills when I here them and pretty much every song too.

They played one of their songs on Monday Night Football on TV a few years ago and it blew me away.

Also, seeing HR perform last night was killer. He is so freaking mellow and smiles with joy the entire time. Cool dude too, asked me to hang for a while last night and wanted to crash on my couch, but I said I couldn't, because I had to go walk dogs for the shelter in the morning, so I was going to bed and he shook my hand and said thanks.

I also realized last night that the Bad Brains and Dead Kennedys (and Descendants) were the most influential bands, because DK taught me to pay attention to politics and Bad Brains taught me love, at the angriest time in my life.

I think I remember where I was for almost all of them for the first time.

Minor Threat may be the most under appreciated band of all time. I still get chills when I here them and pretty much every song too.

They played one of their songs on Monday Night Football on TV a few years ago and it blew me away.

Also, seeing HR perform last night was killer. He is so freaking mellow and smiles with joy the entire time. Cool dude too, asked me to hang for a while last night and wanted to crash on my couch, but I said I couldn't, because I had to go walk dogs for the shelter in the morning, so I was going to bed and he shook my hand and said thanks.

I also realized last night that the Bad Brains and Dead Kennedys (and Descendants) were the most influential bands, because DK taught me to pay attention to politics and Bad Brains taught me love, at the angriest time in my life.

Oh yeah, I guess I probably should have had In God We Trust, Inc. on my list.

The big thing to me was if I could hear them again for the first time. That time in my life and the difficulty in finding the music made it all even better. Now that I'm getting to be an old fart and have had plenty of time to expand my horizons, I think that mostly everyone's favorites in this thread are great. On a side note, I wish that at some point in my youth, I didn't decide that cassette tapes were better to buy over vinyl. I have a gazillion cassette tape remnants sitting up in my attic that may or not play at this point. Maybe I'll go buy a cassette converter one day and see if I can salvage anything.

Funny story about HR...he's been trying to crash on people's couches for damn near 30 years now.

Complete Discography was an anthem in HS. I wore it out.

I first heard that album when I was twelve and my first reaction was "Holy ****, what the **** is going on?" I had never heard music like that before and it opened my mind to a whole new world of possibilities.

I actually recently listened to it again (after a few drinks) and I felt like I could go out and lift a truck over my head.

With time though, and kind of talking about what was discussed earlier in the thread, I've decided that Steady Diet of Nothing is my favorite Fugazi album. When it came out I was kind of lukewarm on the whole thing (13 Songs and Repeater were at the top of my playlist), but it steadily grew on me over the years. I think Nice New Outfit and Runaway Return are just incredible.

Steady Diet is maybe the most underrated Fugazi album. I think it was the beginning of them making a transition to more mature, complex music, which some "purists" had a lot of trouble dealing with.

This is an absolutely beautiful album that affects me on so many different levels whenever I hear it.

Agree.Though their best SONG that fits into "Hear for the First Time" category might be Mrs. Potter's Lullaby, off a different album of theirs. That was one of those songs that, the very first time I heard it I got goose bumps on my arms when the coda came around.

Great call, Dan. That is one of their best songs. I believe it is on This Desert Life, which is a solid album, overall, as well.

I agree 100%. I would probably say that about most King Crimson songs though. One of my all time favorite bands.

You mean most early Crimson songs right?

Somehow Larks' Tongues in Aspic (any of them), Three of a Perfect Pair or Discipline don't conjure up majestic feelings for me - they impress me and move me in a rockin' kind of way, but they don't transform my armchair into a throne if you know what i mean... ;)

I also forgot to include Skatalites Foundation Ska on my list. It's a fascinating time capsule of the birth of ska/rocksteady/reggae.

Archived